• You cannot reply to this topic

RetroBlazer  "Beautiful retro FPS built on Quake"

User is offline   Lunick 

https://www.kickstar...-gun-action-fps

They want... $110,000... :lol:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"Get us to $150,000 and we'll throw in the extra 0.5D!"

Why exact do they need money in the first place? They seemed to be doing ok without it so far.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

They don't.

If by 'doing okay' you mean going dead silent for 3 years, then yeah. This isn't something I'd ever want to try to complete on spare time alone, and actually having money to not have to deal with other shit in your life is the best way to do it. the amount is also pretty reasonable for what it seems like they wanna do.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 20 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

• Honored Donor

Reasonable for what they're trying to do, perhaps. Realistic? Definitely not. They need to be practical about things.

I'm not sure whether they're vain enough to think that they've got some mega-awesome game that everyone will magically pledge for, or if they're completely oblivious to all the other retro FPS attempts and think that they're the first ones doing it or something.

I like this a hell of alot more than STRAFE. atleast this has actual level design rather than being ~*randomly generated*~ which somehow magically makes things better (this is almost always wrong)
Like, I dunno, why aren't you whining that STRAFE wants almost 70k more than this and is arguably alot simpler looking?

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 20 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Why so defensive? If it makes you feel better both games have stupid goals to reach and neither of them will make it. The screenshots are pretty dull and have less interesting architecture than Doom does (but it sure does look pretty, it's too bad they're not doing anything interesting with the art)

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

I think it looks like a pretty cool game, I Never even heard of this yet though. But I don't know at the same time it kind of looks to colorful I like the idea of it and it seems a bit cooler then some of the new fps games. I don't really like the image of the weapons though and everything seems to be a bit on the pink side. Not that I am against that though overall looks like it's pretty cool

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostJblade, on 20 January 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

If it makes you feel better both games have stupid goals to reach and neither of them will make it.

I didn't think Strafe would make it but it has been doing well for a day:
Posted Image\
Unlike Retroblazer that has done no sort of PR:
Posted Image

• Honored Donor

View PostCarl Winslow, on 20 January 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

Like, I dunno, why aren't you whining that STRAFE wants almost 70k more than this and is arguably alot simpler looking?

Well for starters I saw this kickstarter first, and I also commented on how the other one was too high.

My impression is that the levels in this are entirely flat on a 2D plane, if so it's a real waste. The ONLY reason levels used to be flat like Wolfenstein 3D was because of the limited technology. As soon as they started getting capable of getting around that, they immediately tried to get as far away from it as possible. E.g ROTT, which also used the wolf engine but had those floating disk things, not to mention ROTT 2013, which is a relatively faithful remake of the original, but has no hint of being based on flat level design.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 20 January 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

but has no hint of being based on flat level design.

Except those damn floating disk things.

You see, Larry? That's what happens when you remake a game in the Alps!

I don't know if the level is still in, but RetroBlazer's previous version had a large, maze-like map where you eventually have to climb on top of the maze walls in order to complete the level. it's not that complicated of a maze though, so falling off isn't a huge pain as you'd think.

Generally though, the levels are definitely not meant to stay entirely within the confines of the flat structure, and there's plenty of stuff you can take potshots at that will be above you as well. I just think they're still using the old levels since it's simply easier that way.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 21 January 2015 - 02:02 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Well, if it ever does get its funding it will be on Steam since it was Greenlit http://steamcommunit...s/?id=375199095

Looks very pretty, better than STRAFE, although that's obvious since IMO low poly 3D looks like shit. Interesting things can be done with flat levels, as demonstrated by some Wolf3D mods, but using Quake engine and sticking to flat levels is a waste.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 27 January 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Looks very pretty, better than STRAFE, although that's obvious since IMO low poly 3D looks like shit.

That's all down to application. There are some really good looking low poly 3D Games that really utilise the limitation to their advantage.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Looks like the project recently got a page on IndieDB:
https://www.indiedb....mes/retroblazer

They have a downloadable demo, but it's the old one as it seems. Hopefully more updates are in the works.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 13 July 2022 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

The file was uploaded by some random user to affiliated with the project, don't get your hopes up

The prophecy is true...

https://twitter.com/...849401009344514

User is offline   Lunick 

Haha no way, I'm still pretty sure the ModDB upload is unrelated since they're going with a new look now by the looks of it

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options