• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Top Shooter  "A weekend project. (Version 1.1 Released!)"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://blackwell.duk...Shooter-1.1.rar

Over a weekend I worked out this little project: A top down shooter. Mines tumble toward you and will collide with you. You'll have to destroy them or dodge out of the way to avoid being hit. You'll get 10 points for every mine you destroy. Every 1000 points you get an Extra Life. It's meant to be fun, not difficult. The Readme explains the rest.

The game requires NO grp or files from Duke3D. Just extract the RAR into its own folder, drop in a copy of EDuke32, and go. You MUST have 32bit/high res graphics enabled. The game looks best if the texture quality is max (shouldn't affect performance much). It's the same game in either Polymer or Polymost, so pick your poison. Check the README for more details (including setup instructions).

Post screens of your biggest scores... oh and don't neglect to tell me if there are any ridiculously glaring bugs.

Current High Scores (v1.0):
1)

View Postzykov eddy, on 20 September 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

2)

View PostColon Semicolon, on 20 September 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

I stopped at 10000. Got very boring xD

User is offline   CruX 

That's some snazzy music you got going in the back ground. It's a neat concept all in all. It'd be nice to see it fleshed out a bit more.

how likely would it be that you'd like to make something more interesting out of this? I may actually be of help with something like this. I love these sort of games and have always wanted to try and make something for one.

Posted Image
here have a screenshot of the score I achieved cuz bored

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 20 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

• Evil Overlord

View PostEmericaSkater, on 20 September 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

That's some snazzy music you got going in the back ground. It's a neat concept all in all. It'd be nice to see it fleshed out a bit more.

Haha thanks. I threw it on for fun and it ended up become like a musical joke with every other sound adding to the jazz ambience.

View PostColon Semicolon, on 20 September 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

how likely would it be that you'd like to make something more interesting out of this? I may actually be of help with something like this. I love these sort of games and have always wanted to try and make something for one.

Posted Image
here have a screenshot of the score I achieved cuz bored

Semi-likely I'd do more. I thought of making the speed of the mines' descent increase as your score goes up, as well as making a new type with a different tint/pal that would require more than one hit to destroy. In the event of those changes it might be prudent to make some kind of powerups depending on exactly how difficult things become. That's probably all for a second release. Beyond that I have no idea. What did you have in mind?

If you could make it harder the longer you get, it would be pretty funny. Then i would gladly try to beat the highscore :(

User is offline   Kyanos 

No High score from me tonight. Great unique TC!
A suggestion if you do take this further, I would say to keep it to short 2-4 min levels, it's a bit hard on the eyes. Yet strangely addicting...

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMblackwell, on 20 September 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

as well as making a new type with a different tint/pal that would require more than one hit to destroy.

Do this, and then make those enemies drop a power-up that lets your ship shoot tri-beams instead of just one little pellet. Seems to me like that'd be the easiest/most entertaining addition you could make.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^Yes, power-ups like Major Stryker and Raptor.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Nice little minigame. It's nice too see someone making standalone modifications of Duke 3D.
Once I had an idea of 2d scrolling space shooter about Zero Wing universe.

p.s:

Posted Image

• Evil Overlord

You guys should really set the Texture Quality to Highest (and turn on/up texture filtering). Makes a big difference in clarity.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I took a look at Eddys pic and noticed his plane was not centered. I couldn't go side to side, the log was full of errors. Here is my log and a pic of a highscore where it was more challenging.
Attached File  eduke32.log (9.64K)
Number of downloads: 636
Attached Image: duke0000.png
You could add some "power downs" like decreasing the rate of fire, or stop the player from strafing. That did make it a challenge.

This post has been edited by Drek: 21 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDrek, on 21 September 2011 - 05:59 AM, said:

I took a look at Eddys pic and noticed his plane was not centered. I couldn't go side to side, the log was full of errors.

Because you didn't go and set up your keys like it says in the "readme"

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostThe Commander, on 21 September 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

Because you didn't go and set up your keys like it says in the "readme"

That's pretty embarrassing :(

View PostMblackwell, on 20 September 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

What did you have in mind?

Really, I just would like to see a proper, single level game built upon this with some level progression. it wouldn't be too difficult to set that up, and I even would be willing to work on the graphics for such a project.

• Evil Overlord

It's possible to use this "engine" to make something like a clone of Raptor, actually. Not that I would turn this project into that but I would use it as the starting point for something different.

Also:
Posted Image
an honest to goodness game over

Because I've started working on v1.1. It will have:

1) The speed and number of mines increasing as your score goes up.
2) Red mines. Shoot them and they turn purple and can then be killed.
3) A tri-bullet gun pickup. Bullets will shoot 45 degrees left and right and bounce around off the edges. This will either have a) A timer or :( Deactivate when you get hit. Per the above suggestion I'll have it dropped by red mines. Question though:

Should the pickup need to be shot, run into, or either?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMblackwell, on 21 September 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Should the pickup need to be shot, run into, or either?

I would say both, imo

• Evil Overlord

Just uploaded version 1.1! Let me know if something doesn't seem to work. Check the Readme for a description of the changes. Link in the OP.

Post new highscores! I'll have separate lists for different game versions.

That's so much better, i really enjoyed it this time. Though i think i found a few problems. Some times and can't go fx. up and left at the same time, it only goes left. And when i die, the spaceship blinks like i should be invincible, but i'm not. Other than that, great!

• Evil Overlord

It's not that you can't go up and left at the same time, it's that if you were (for example) pressing Down and then pressed Up without releasing Down it would cause you to stop moving vertically. This is probably what's happening. If it's simply not working I can't think what would cause it other than a non-related keyboard issue.

There is no invincibility, because I'm a jerk. But you blink because it's a good visual indicator. Could be changed it enough people don't like it.

Okay. Everytime i play a game and you start blinking like that after getting hit, you get invincibile for at little time. I think you create a bit confusion.

• Evil Overlord

Blast from the past!

I noticed the link to this mod was dead so I updated it in the OP with a new mirror.

User is offline   Mark 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 20 September 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

If you could make it harder the longer you get...

:dukecigar:

User is offline   NY00123 

Hi all,

Letting you know that I've released a modified version that adds (to an extent) networked multiplayer support via NetDuke32, tested with v1.2.1. Also added is analog (mouse) motion. You can still use a recent EDuke32 version, too.

As usual, assume this is the last release from me, i.e., there's no guarantee about any future update.

Expect NetDuke32 v1.2.1's player prediction code to not work as well as in Duke3D, due to technical reasons. In other words, expect some lag in responses to user input for online multiplayer games.

Top Shooter was originally released as a standalone game not depending on duke3d.grp, and this should still work here for single-player games; One difference is that using one of the included launch scripts (e.g., topshooter.bat for Windows) is recommended by me.

For multiplayer games, though, you might want to use the pk3 file as-is, without unpacking it (i.e., loading it as a Duke3D mod). Reason being that other players who use NetDuke32 almost surely have it set up for starting multiplayer Duke3D games.

Attached Image: duke0007.png

I don't have an update to the downloads page at my Duke4.net-hosted website for now, but the file is there. You may currently get Top Shooter MP v1.2 from here: https://gitlab.com/N...rMP/-/releases/

I can say one thing. I haven't really released new CON mods from scratch that use EDuke32 and/or NetDuke32's CON dialects. Neither have I that many years of experience with using such CON dialects. What's clear to me is that hardcoded Duke3D behaviors come into play when one doesn't necessarily expect them, also in Top Shooter.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 21 January 2024 - 12:49 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options