Duke4.net Forums: Let's Rork Playable Tech Demo Release - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's Rork Playable Tech Demo Release  "TROR map filled with examples of geometry"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I originally wanted this to be a proper map, and in a way it is, but it's an amalgamation of 4 different pieces of work from me from the past year or more, and after combining them, making all the TROR, adding some details and gameplay, I don't have the energy to finish it as a "map", not to mention my other commitments.

Having said that, the map is 'playable from start to finish'. I highly recommend starting it up, doing dnkroz and dnstuff, and making your way though. On top of some really neat ways of using TROR, there are some pretty nice gameplay events as well. Oh and you'd want to use polymer.

This map is a really really really big piece of tech demo which includes some of the following features due to TROR:
1. 3D rotating underwater fan.
2. 3D pipes.
3. 3D enterable flying saucer.
4. 3D Duke Burger with rotating burger sign and destructable roof.
5. 3 story destroyed building.
6. Building turned on side.
7. 3D two way train (not fully functioning, so cannot be reached when playing the map, I've never made a two way train before so maybe I'm doing something wrong that another mapper can quickly fix.)
8. Complicated boss arena geometry (you'll see...)
9. 3D (floating) swinging doors.
10. Other stuff I forgot to mention, plus the standard stuff that comes with TROR.

I've learnt a LOT of lessons by making this, not just to do with TROR, but with map making in general. I've started another polymer TROR map from scratch, but we'll see how it goes... I probably won't talk about it for a while.

I'd love to hear people's opinions, and hopefully some mappers will find some of the examples useful.
Edit: Anyone should feel free to post up pictures, I don't even have the energy to post any new pics at the moment. Most of the pics below are very outdated.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

I can't get it working? And when i try it with mapster it's just a really small and empty map.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Wow, that's some great mapping. Keep RORKing Micky :(
Attached Image: letsrork2.png
I love the shadow cast from the room above me, it just feels right.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Sorry Micky but it was unplayable for me (under 10 fps most of time) without HRP, I don't know if is something on my end, but I can play DNEternity and it goes rarely under 25 fps.

User is offline   Mark 

Occasional stutters, but stayed above 30FPS most of the time. "Technically brilliant" quotes the L.A.Times today. :(

User is offline   Kyanos 

Here is the UFO in mapster.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Once again Micky, WOW. Really just some incredible work.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postrasmus thorup, on 17 September 2011 - 07:40 AM, said:

I can't get it working? And when i try it with mapster it's just a really small and empty map.

I got your PM and I can't understand why it isn't working for you, especially since everyone else seems to have the right map Posted Image

The only thing I can suggest is to download the file again. The map should look like in the screenshot below. It's pretty big, it'll take you about 15 minutes if you play through it, which isn't bad considering it's missing some gameplay.
Posted Image

Edit: And I'm glad at least a few people like the concepts that are in it :(

I tried to make many parts interconnected to show off that aspect of TROR, but ultimately it brought the framerate down a bit, which is part of the reason I decided to discontinue work on it. The geometry and layout itself is pretty much done, but there are also bugs, texturing issues, extra details, and proper gameplay like health/weapon ratios and keycards and things which are still left, and that sort of thing is fairly tedious to do. If I make a new map, I'll be polishing of the areas I work on before moving onto the next one.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Okay, just found out that it say invalid map format when i try to load it. For some reason it takes the last map i visited and shows it instead of yours. Maybe the mapster log should tell you when map format is invalid. Also just tried the newest eduke and mapster, didn't work either.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Postrasmus thorup, on 17 September 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

Okay, just found out that it say invalid map format when i try to load it. For some reason it takes the last map i visited and shows it instead of yours. Maybe the mapster log should tell you when map format is invalid. Also just tried the newest eduke and mapster, didn't work either.

Perhaps an eduke32 version conflict?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postrasmus thorup, on 17 September 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

Jh-- I mean rasmus, the map opens just fine with the latest revision of eduke32/mapster (currently r2031). If you have problems, try posting in the help forum and don't forget to attach your log.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 17 September 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

Jh-- I mean rasmus

lol

User is online   zykov eddy 

The TROR features are outstanding.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options