Duke4.net Forums: Freeduke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freeduke32  "An idea."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I love that, and in my opinion Blue Shift and Opposing Force are better than Half Life.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 July 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

NAM was like a glorified Platoon. It used what one could call the earliest form of EDuke, the progenitor of EDuke32.

Nah, NAM just used a VERY slightly modified Duke codebase. About the only changes were to the pistol rate of fire and magazine size, and the addition of a timer to the pipebomb. WW2GI is what used an early gamevar and event based system.

User is offline   Kyanos 

This may be a stupid question, but why not just the shareware version of duke?
I downloaded it and EDuke refuses to run when it's around. (too the point that Norton360 deleted EDuke32.exe due to suspicious behavior)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTX, on 28 July 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Nah, NAM just used a VERY slightly modified Duke codebase. About the only changes were to the pistol rate of fire and magazine size, and the addition of a timer to the pipebomb. WW2GI is what used an early gamevar and event based system.

Perhaps, but you can see the progression. All that stuff was moved onto the next one. However, since it had so little changed, I think that's probably why NAM works in EDuke32 and WW2GI doesn't. It'd take a lot more work, kind of like porting Redneck Rampage. EDuke32 can do all of it, it's just a matter of getting all the code to meet up. (Terms and variables just have different names for example.)

View PostDrek, on 28 July 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

I downloaded it and EDuke refuses to run when it's around. (too the point that Norton360 deleted EDuke32.exe due to suspicious behavior)

A: Norton sucks.
B: You sure you downloaded a legitimate shareware? It SHOULD work in the latest official releases, unless you downloaded a fake which was just a virus.

• el fundador

What? EDuke32 runs WW2GI.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTX, on 28 July 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

What? EDuke32 runs WW2GI.

Posted Image

Really? Since when? You should update the site to reflect that.

• el fundador

Probably since 2008 or so... maybe earlier? It's not 100% faithful to the changes made in WW2GI but it's playable at least.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, I remember that now. I need to lay off the caffeine. Too much stuff running through my cranium all day.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDrek, on 28 July 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

http://www.moddb.com...-eduke32-ready1

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Up rep for the highres EDuke32 logo.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostThe Commander, on 28 July 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

Thanks a lot. IMO that belongs on the front page of EDuke.com
Works with HRP too.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDrek, on 29 July 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

Thanks a lot. IMO that belongs on the front page of EDuke.com
Works with HRP too.

The problem is that the shareware episode doesn't work with the light maphacks, which means no fancy lights except for those cast by fires, atomic healths etc... so a lot of people would be disappointed with that, and some might come here and complain.

Back on topic: This thread does raise some valid points. There are a lot of really good free to download and play TCs, but for a newcomer to the community (and they're the one's we're aiming at, because they don't have the duke3d.grp, and the rest of us already know about the TCs), finding them or even knowing about them would be quite difficult.

For example, look at the existing mods page on the wiki: http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

There are several problems with this page:
1) There is a whole lot of stuff there is which classified as unreleased and in development, and let's be honest, the majority of those TCs aren't going to be released at all. They should be removed, at least until they're actually released.
2) There are some demos/betas up there, such as Duke Theft Auto and the AWOL Project Source. No offense to the authors, but I don't think these should be in an "existing mods" page, and should be removed.
3) There are dead links, such as with Duke Nukem Army, or links which don't go anywhere useful *cough* Hendrick's Duke meets Doom rebirth which is apparently "coming soon" :( (I only looked at one or two links).
4) There's a mod or two that doesn't make sense at all. I'm thinking the WG Medieval mod by William Gee and DeeperThought, which appears to be some kind of prelude to WGRealms 2 but is now deprecated. It should be removed.

Here's what I propose:
1) The page should be organised into 3 sections: Official add-on packs (e.g Duke Carribean etc), Gamplay mods (e.g DukePlus, Naferia's Reign etc) and complete, stand alone TCs (e.g Starship Troopers, WGRealms 2, AMC TC after it's done.)
2) Everything that isn't released or complete should be removed.
3) Maybe some kind of system to show how good the mod or TC is. Obviously if a new comer wants to test the waters by trying out a mod, we don't want him/her to accidentally download the worst or most complicated mod on the page.
The page, well, the whole wiki, is meant to be for those who have just joined the community and know nothing about what's going on, and the wiki should be oriented towards those people. That's why unnecessary and/or obsolete stuff should be cut, and why the best work should be the most visible.

Edit: Looking at eduke32.com's homepage, the latest (and only) video there is a playthrough of Hollywood Holocaust with polymer and the HRP from 2009. If you want to show off the graphics of polymer and the HRP, I recommend my HRPv5 trailer. If it must be a playthrough of e1l1, I'm sure there are plenty of those on youtube from the past month.

I would appreciate some feedback on this.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 29 July 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

I think most of us have forgotten about that wiki page. I went ahead and updated the DukePlus link, and I will change the "medieval mod" to WGR2. I'll also add War of Attrition.

Eddy Zykov should definitely add his Sonic TC on there, and maybe some of his other work. James should put Imagination World on there. I disagree about removing stuff that is unreleased, but the mods on there should at least be actively developed (some of those mods on there right now are dead). There are several mods in development that I would like to see added on there (AMC TC and Blood TC, for example).

I would say the most important categories are released mods and unreleased mods. The official add-on packs are not EDuke32 modifications. They existed long before EDuke32 and have nothing to do with EDuke32 in particular. EDIT: Sorry I misunderstood about the official add-ons. You must have been referring to the HRP packs for them, which of course do belong on the wiki page.

• Honored Donor

One thing's for sure; the page needs to be updated, otherwise it serves no purpose. I'd remove some of the dead TCs myself except I'm not 100% which ones are dead, and I wouldn't risk deleting one which is still active. Other people would have to deal with the dead links though.

Edit: here's a list of what appears to be abandoned:

Symphony of Orekia (AKA The Mansion) by Quakis (enough said)
Duke Nukem: Return of the King, by Captain Awesome.
Duke Meets DOOM Rebirth by Hendricks266.
Cradle to Grave by Daedalus, Dimebog, Daedolon, Tekedon (BloodTC is where it's at now)
RailSingle TC by LipSheZ, links to a site last updated in 2008.

Not sure what's happening with Decay, or Duke 64 Resurgence, it would be nice if somebody cleared that up.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Resurgence is alive...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMicky C, on 29 July 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Symphony of Orekia (AKA The Mansion) by Quakis (enough said)
Duke Nukem: Return of the King, by Captain Awesome.
Cradle to Grave by Daedalus, Dimebog, Daedolon, Tekedon (BloodTC is where it's at now)
Not sure what's happening with Decay, or Duke 64 Resurgence, it would be nice if somebody cleared that up.

quakis' mod is still alive, but has taken a completely different turn. My mod is very much alive. I just don't like showing stuff off too often, definitely needs some updating on there, but I'm not quite ready for some whoring. Cradle to Grave is still alive and pretty close to being finished according to very recent posts on the Post Mortem. Haven't heard anything about Decay in a while.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 29 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

• Honored Donor

I also took the liberty of mentioning Polymer and TROR on a few Duke related pages on wikipedia. If that wasn't a good idea, I can delete them. I didn't mention Helixhorned or Plagman's names in case they don't want to have them there.

Some of the links are to different sections on the same page, and some have the same information.
http://en.wikipedia...._3D#Source_code
http://en.wikipedia....#Room_over_room
http://en.wikipedia...._engine#Polymer
http://en.wikipedia....of_Mapster32.29

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

• Weaponized Autism

There are links which don't go anywhere useful *cough* Hendrick's Duke meets Doom rebirth which is apparently "coming soon" :(

To my credit, the page does say "Coming eventually!".

View PostMicky C, on 29 July 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Duke Meets DOOM Rebirth by Hendricks266.

DMDR isn't abandoned per se. I fully intend on finishing my work. However, I need to replace all the artwork because the original creators of DMD 1) did sloppy conversions with lots of fullbrights where they don't belong, and 2) crudely sized-up the sprites to match the hardcoded enemy sizes. However, I'm not willing to go through the large amount of effort to insert the artwork until I write an art tool to do it for me.

That's the main obstacle I'm facing. I will also have to do some coding for various enemies, fix more problems from the original, and integrate more optional assets from the Doom jDRP and related projects (read: Doom HRP).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

To be honest, I'd just bail on an HRP for the project until last.

• Weaponized Autism

Take a look at this:

http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 25 September 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

That's some nice rearrangement, it's much more organised now.

I also added some text at the top briefly explaining the list, and that there are other great mods out there that are not present:

Disclaimer: This list of mods and TCs is by no means exhaustive. There are many more great user made addons to try out on the internet, what is shown in this list comprises solely of content that the respective mod makers themselves have put up. I.e what is shown here isn't necessarily the best (although some of it is, and all of it is high quality), it's just that the people who made them actually bothered to make an entry here.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Necro post, I know...

It's not freeduke, it's called faux_duke.

Somebody posted a zip with some pngs and I gathered up other files from other mods and wrote up a quick little def file, and well, it's not Duke3D, no maps at all, a few weapons need their offset defined, plays user maps.

NO LINK

Updated def file;
Cut defs for non-existent tiles and started offsets, weapons first :P

Attached File  newdef.zip (19.67K)
Number of downloads: 120

This post has been edited by Drek: 05 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm not sure I get the point of that. It's the shareware assets in their non-grped form?

Yeah. This is just Duke3D art and sound assets. There's no reason to upload those.

It's a shame Dave3D got the axe.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Agreed, but maybe I'll make something similar that runs HRP assets only.

Nevermind, I didn't realize the HRP came with the shareware version now. I feel silly :P

This post has been edited by Drek: 05 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options