Duke4.net Forums: Check out my RCPD Finale.MAP - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Check out my RCPD Finale.MAP  "Vanilla Duke 1.4 or EDuke friendly"

Poll: Check out my RCPD Finale.MAP (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How did you like the map?

1. Very Good (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Good (13 votes [68.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

3. Average (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

4. Didn't like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRadar1013, on 16 August 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

The only reason I rated it average is because a "very good" map imo is Roch 8, Red 5, etc., a "good" map is Meat Ball Sub Makin', Wipeout, etc. So what's the other choice left? Average.

That's a good point, different people have different views on what's objectively a 'good' map. I found the map fun, so I rated it good, although I'll admit I turned a blind eye to some of the poor trimming because it's your first map. I also took into consideration that you hit the limit and how that was a reason for some things. I still think you did a good job of shading the walls considering you ran out of walls/sectors (although floor shading would of course make it much better.)

View PostPaul B, on 16 August 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

But I wasn't ready to map in something that wasn't shipped with the original game. I did try and play around with that ROR but that's pretty tricky stuff I was having a tough time aligning stuff and joining floors and when I did manage to make something work it usually was by accident and I wasn't sure how i finally ended up with the final result because I was trying so many different things. haha!

If you're going to make another map, and want to use TROR, I'd be happy to help you out if you have any questions on how to use it/build a certain construction. It really is quite easy to use once you understand how it works, it's only the initial understanding that's the problem.

But I wasn't ready to map in something that wasn't shipped with the original game.

That's understandable, but remember this: no one is going to boot up the original game in dos or an emulator just to play your map. EDuke32 is the heart, the soul, and the future of Duke Nukem 3D, and IMO the only reason the modding/mapping community has lasted so long. Use it and enjoy, knowing everyone on all platforms will always be able to play it :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Once a map is saved using mapster it is no longer backwards compatible with build.

Wrong. I just tested one of the latest maps released with the original DOS. I tested a map called Of Pigs and Men and it worked perfectly fine. I am most certain that this map was created using Mapster32. Just to be sure, I made a random change and saved it using Mapster32 and it still worked perfectly fine. As long as you don't go past the sector limit or implement TROR, your map will be compatible with the original game. Not to mention, I guarantee that every single person that tried your map was using EDuke32; it's the standard here. I have no idea where you got this assumption.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostRadar1013, on 17 August 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

Wrong. I just tested one of the latest maps released with the original DOS. I tested a map called Of Pigs and Men and it worked perfectly fine. I am most certain that this map was created using Mapster32. Just to be sure, I made a random change and saved it using Mapster32 and it still worked perfectly fine. As long as you don't go past the sector limit or implement TROR, your map will be compatible with the original game. Not to mention, I guarantee that every single person that tried your map was using EDuke32; it's the standard here. I have no idea where you got this assumption.

Well it wasn't an assumption. I've tried it, I saved my map in mapster and once i did that I was no longer able to open it in Build. Anyway, i've just tried it again and for some reason build is now opening mapster maps. Here i thought maybe mapster changed the header of the file because I would get a specific error about not being a valid map file when opening a mapster map in build. Anyway at the time I didn't bother to write the error down. I just wrote it off as a software incompatibility. Anyway, if it happens again i'll post the error. This may have been around the time when I was fooling around with TROR. I can't remember for sure. Thanks for correcting me though its nice to know there is a level of compatibility.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 17 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Mapster32 should only save your maps in an incompatible format if you go beyond the original game limits for walls/sprites.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Out of curiosity, does it actually change map format or is it just too many sectors/walls?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It doesn't completely re-arrange the file or anything, but since throwing in too many sectors/walls would cause old versions of the engine to crash while loading it it tags the map header with a higher BUILD map version, which causes them to fail to load them gracefully.

User is offline   Paul B 

I noticed helixhorned has been frequenting the forms and is quite active with performing bug fixes and enhancements to EDUKE.

One glitch I did notice in EDuke and not in the original game is the sprite "Think Smaller" is not mirror image when looking into a mirror. A good example of this is in my map in the Observation Room wall beside the mirror where I have the sprite "Think Smaller" backwards on the wall. When you look into the mirror the mirror image doesn't reverse this sprite so that it can be read properly.

Just an observation I noticed, I am not too sure how hard this would be to fix? It doesn't happen in the regular Duke Nukem as this functionality works just fine.

Any suggestions?
Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Did you try using the software renderer?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Argh, what? I thought I fixed that already, but I noticed some code/comments that claimed this too, so we're running in circles it seems.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHelixhorned, on 18 August 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

Argh, what? I thought I fixed that already, but I noticed some code/comments that claimed this too, so we're running in circles it seems.

Okay i've just tested it by choosing software renderer. It worked as it should. When I switched it back to OpenGl it started working. I'm going to go home tonight and try it there and i'll let you know the results. So far it works at work. haha go figure.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPaul B, on 18 August 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

Okay i've just tested it by choosing software renderer. It worked as it should. When I switched it back to OpenGl it started working. I'm going to go home tonight and try it there and i'll let you know the results. So far it works at work. haha go figure.

Okay it doesn't matter what I do at home which setting I use I cannot get the mirror image to show properly using either Software or OpenGL etc.. I've flipped through all combinations of settings. Which leads me to believe this problem must be a driver problem with the way the video card interprets the information. Because I saw it working at my work computer but not on my home computer. My home PC is running an Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
driver version : 6.14.12.7061 Date of driver: 07/04/2011. I am also running Microsoft Windows XP SP3 32 bit at home and Windows 7 Pro on a dual boot. I get the same results in both operating systems. However if I had to play Eduke in Windows 7 it would be laggy as hell and unplayable as I just found out. I think Windows 7 rapes my CPU among other things. Which is probably par for the course.

Anyway, I hope this helps if any

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPaul B, on 18 August 2011 - 09:48 PM, said:

Okay it doesn't matter what I do at home which setting I use I cannot get the mirror image to show properly using either Software or OpenGL etc.. I've flipped through all combinations of settings. Which leads me to believe this problem must be a driver problem with the way the video card interprets the information. Because I saw it working at my work computer but not on my home computer. My home PC is running an Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
driver version : 6.14.12.7061 Date of driver: 07/04/2011. I am also running Microsoft Windows XP SP3 32 bit at home and Windows 7 Pro on a dual boot. I get the same results in both operating systems. However if I had to play Eduke in Windows 7 it would be laggy as hell and unplayable as I just found out. I think Windows 7 rapes my CPU among other things. Which is probably par for the course.

Anyway, I hope this helps if any

Just to close this problem... I have downloaded the latest version of EDuke32 from the Duke synthesis directory. At the time of writing this that would be version eduke32_win32_20110922-2041. The problem I was experiencing with mirrored sprites has now been resolved. It works as it is suppose to. Thanks for looking into this Helix I know you had a hand in this =)

User is offline   Paul B 

As of lately i've had a chance to change things up a bit with my map. I've realized when playing multi-player with friends using a very old copy of the Eduke32.exe ammo was definitely scarce on my map. So i've loaded the armory with more ammo for cooperative play. I've also made some modifications that significantly improve the fun factor in the map and it gives the map more character. I also noticed my posted screen shots of this map are quite dated. When I have some time I will redo the screen shots so that they actually reflect the current changes on my map.

I really hope multi-player on the new EDuke comes out soon. I've got a sweet idea for a new map. This next map will be a smaller map designed for multiplayer death match. It's name will be called "Breach.map" . The objective will be that player one will start in an area with a pile of laser trip mines and guns. It will be the second players objective for finding a safe way into the first player's zone to over take the position and collect the goodies. The first player will be responsible for guarding and securing his area to make sure the second player doesn't make it into the stash of goodies that's available to player 1. =)

This map will be all about setting traps and throwing off your opponent in terms of your entry point and forcing player 1 to fortify quickly while holding his ground.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 22 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Martin 

I expected Raccoon City Police Department.

User is offline   Arwu 

I just played RCPD.map without tror because my pc doesn't run polymer :P first Im impressed about how many elements this map had :unsure:
it took me ~40 minutes to finish it first time and I missed two secrets, I tried to put my nose everywhere, some textures are misaligned (for example some tv screens), but thats is almost nothing.
Paul B. This is really You first map ? If I looking it on mapster it makes me dizzy, so much multilevel to me :-S
its a great piece of work , I put this map as one of my favourites and I cannot wait when eduke will work properly in multiplayer :P I liked wents, they linked to almost every main room in the map, this map be good to play with more than a 4 players because its huge.
Last fight without saving is a pain :D Im lost a few times there, its a little too hard but its still good. (thanks to save option)

.I rated it "good" because for me, some glitches occured, for example broken multilever elevator, I cannot leave it.
And why these tanks in the begining with pigs inside it are not working? ;) they are sleeping :P ? Hehe
it is very good map and I hope to see another map constructed by You :( thanks for that very very hard work and for showing it here :D

User is offline   Paul B 

Wow, gosh thanks for the kind words... Yea i sorta built the map in stages and added the layers on after the fact by building upwards. I was inspired by Hotel Hell when creating this map. It took me just short of a year to make. My objective was to try and get familiar with as many build functions as possible and throw them in one map so I could learn the operations of build faster this way. After playing some of the maps around here though I soon realize that what i've done is quite minimal compared to the talent that is found around these forms. I have just finished playing Cherenkov Station by Super Tanker and realize I have a long way to go before I can start mapping at that level. I don't believe that map uses TROR that I know of. You might want to give that one a shot! It's an awesome map that makes my stuff look.... well... pretty basic.

I have just released another city map with the help of Micky C called parkade.map however it is really CPU and GPU intense and requires the latest EDuke to fully support the TROR features. You may also like that one once you have the latest EDUKE running with Polymer.

Thanks for your feedback,
Sincerely,
Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

User is offline   NY00123 

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING*
A bit late into the party (considering the release date)... well, I've got to try out RCPD2.map on the "Come Get Some" difficulty. Liked the combination of environments: From the outside, to the entrance to the RCPD near the player's start position, the underground cells... and the rest :unsure:
As usual, after some time of exploring, one can get along in the map and not be confused.
I wonder how is it useful for Duke to become shrunk, apart from going through tiny small shortcuts between rooms. Alright, you can technically use these while not being shrunk at all. (It's a bit tricky; You should jump and then push forward and press the crouch and jump keys in the right way.) But then the same can be applied in the original E1L4 titled "Toxic Dump".

Despite the fact it has appeared before and may be a little glitchy, it's not bad when you "borrow" the 3-level elevator from EX5ML3.MAP. If such things can add to the map (for the good), then why not take advantage of them?

*SPOILERS WARNING AGAIN*
Originally (that is, up to completing the level for the first time), I haven't found all secrets; Although, I've later got them all after looking for these. There's a little exception... Well, lets say I've taken advantage of a few glitches when it comes to the RCPD 2nd floor secret near the aquarium :D (One is physical, as you can shoot through something in the middle of a wall; Maybe not a glitch at all. The other is visual, taking advantage of 3rd person view... :P)

For some reason, the usage of the phones as switches seems to make sense in a police station :P
I still wonder what does the "unlock" message refer to - Not with the phones, but rather as you approach the boss...

Later all,
NY

User is offline   Paul B 

Hi NY00123,

Thanks for the reply, its always interesting to hear peoples comments on this map. To answer your questions:

View PostNY00123, on 16 January 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

I wonder how is it useful for Duke to become shrunk, apart from going through tiny small shortcuts between rooms. Alright, you can technically use these while not being shrunk at all. (It's a bit tricky; You should jump and then push forward and press the crouch and jump keys in the right way.) But then the same can be applied in the original E1L4 titled "Toxic Dump".

I'm surprised this question surfaces as much as it does. What I had intended was to shrink Duke in the observation room. Have him run through the small vents into the men's washroom. When Duke does this it unlocks the men's bathroom stall allowing Duke to run behind the toilet enter the ventaliation system and actually get into the police station offices from the front door of the map.

View PostNY00123, on 16 January 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

I still wonder what does the "unlock" message refer to - Not with the phones, but rather as you approach the boss...

The unlock message at the end of the level is a final activation switch to activate an event that's only applicable to multi-player. The event doesn't occur when it says unlocked because there is another switch that's triggered when a second player joins the game. This will increase the difficulty of the end BOSS scene only.

Thanks for playing,
Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 16 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to bump this old thread, I've published this map on my website only after making sure the 3 Tier elevator system was permanently fixed. Just a couple of weeks ago I found out the root cause of the elevator malfunctioning and I was able to finally get it to work permanently. Upon fixing that annoying bug from hell, I thought I'd revamp some of the difficulty settings and address some minor annoyances. Out of sheer coincidence it also happens to be almost exactly 6 years to the day since I released this map.

Would there be anyone willing to give this map a go using Duke Nukem World Tour? The original map was built using Build but edited with Mapster. It should technically work with World Tour but I haven't been able to test this. I would be curious to know how it plays or how the multi-player plays in World Tour? (Co-op/Deathmatch)

Anyway, just thought i'd throw this out there and you can find the updated map hosted on my site at: http://www.dukemaps.net/?p=9328

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options