Duke4.net Forums: Brute Force - an EDuke32 standalone mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brute Force - an EDuke32 standalone mod

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMicky C, on 13 November 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Keep in mind that for 99% of that time the projections were back to front, upside down, and could not be animated, which heavily restricted their use. It's only recently that all this extra cool flexibility and bug fixing was done.
Will this cause additional frame rate impact? My "new" PC still uses the old GT9600, because DNF did not force me to update. But a couple of really cool but demanding EDuke32 releases might motivate me to upgrade.
EDIT: Sorry for the derailing, blizzard, but at least your mod stays on top of the list ... :P

This post has been edited by LeoD: 13 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Diaz 

Spotlight projections are very cheap. It's shadows that kill the framerate, but now we have the option to disable them per-light, so we can optimize without forcing the user to disable ALL shadows :P

I'm hoping to release my new Fusion episode (Polymer only) by feb/march, or sooner. Just finished the third map, and it will be 5 new maps + a small boss map. Still wondering if I should release it as a standalone episode or keep reworking the first 3 episodes with Polymer lighting (because nowadays, I'm really ashamed of the shitty levels I made)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDiaz, on 13 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'm hoping to release my new Fusion episode (Polymer only) by feb/march, or sooner. Just finished the third map, and it will be 5 new maps + a small boss map. Still wondering if I should release it as a standalone episode or keep reworking the first 3 episodes with Polymer lighting (because nowadays, I'm really ashamed of the shitty levels I made)
My vote for standalone, because I'll get that sooner. Our early works are the rock our experience is built upon, no need to be ashamed of that. However, updating stuff to new technical possibilities is to my likings, too.

User is online   blizzart 

I have started our FB fansite yesterday, so if you wanna take a look (nothing important right now - just some screenshots, which were already shown here), here is the link: Brute Force FB-site

A few words about the progress:
Sedition threw about 100 new models into the mod and he is working on converting some weapon models into MD3. He also decreased the quality of the textures a little bit, which decreased the size of the mod by more than a half (about 1gb right now compared to the previous 2.3gb).

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You should make sure to keep the full size textures up to date with the mod so you can release them as an add-on pack later or something.

View PostTerminX, on 04 December 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

You should make sure to keep the full size textures up to date with the mod so you can release them as an add-on pack later or something.

Yeah, that's what we are going to do, TerminX. We decreased the file size only for the people, that won't be going to download a 2.5gb or more file at the end.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm assuming you guys are using PNGout, right?

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 05 December 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

I'm assuming you guys are using PNGout, right?

Sorry Captain Awesome, but I totally missed your post. No, we do´t use PNGout. I think Sedition is using xnView to convert textures to PNG and JPG.

And to wish you all a happy new year, here´s an earlier teaser shot of another map:

Attached Image: capt0139.jpg

I´ve just tested an effect with some spotlights and it turned out very well.
It needs some adjustments, but it already looks very cool right now, though it will make a good and moody scene in the game.

The quality isn´t the best, sorry for that.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If you added some sounds each time a light switches off that'd be pretty moody indeed. From what I've seen the maps are coming along very nicely.

View PostMicky C, on 26 January 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

If you added some sounds each time a light switches off that'd be pretty moody indeed. From what I've seen the maps are coming along very nicely.

Of course sounds will be added. In this video I just wanted to see, if the effect looks as expected and if it is doable at all (performance).

There are 16 - 25 fps in this video, although it is running smooth all the time. So I will do some adjustments to the performance, too. I´m running it on a nVidia GT 635M so I think it will do well on a GTX200 series graphic card after some tweaks here an there.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 26 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

• Honored Donor

There are times when the fps counter is in the 40's or 50s for me (although the fps display looks a little weird, but I can't say why) and the game is a bit laggy. Perhaps it should be looked in to.

We are searching for someone who is more into con coding than me,who can help us with some stuff.

After Trooper Dan gave us the permission (see below) to use some of his great coding work, we need someone who can get the cutscene (and later on other) code out of dukeplus (it was also used in Imagination World 2 and AMC TC) cons, so that we (and others) can use it for our own mod.

I would do it myself, but I have enough to do with mapping lately and I don´t even know where to start to search for.

Of course Trooper Dan and everyone who help us with this will be fully credited.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 October 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I dunno, at least people would learn stuff that way. It might be better than ripping the code.

EDIT @blizzart: I've coded pretty much everything on that list at one time or another, but I never did it with the goal of making the code easily portable or readable. Feel free to use code from DukePlus, WGR2, Attrition, or whatever, as long as you give credit, but don't expect any tech support from me since I'm not doing much modding these days and if I did my priority would be my own projects.

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postblizzart, on 14 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

After Trooper Dan gave us the permission (see below) to use some of his great coding work, we need someone who can get the cutscene (and later on other) code out of dukeplus (it was also used in Imagination World 2 and AMC TC) cons, so that we (and others) can use it for our own mod.

I know this is just semantics, but I made the cutscene code in Imagination World v2 and AMC TC myself, I didn't take it from Dukeplus.

View PostJames, on 14 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I know this is just semantics, but I made the cutscene code in Imagination World v2 and AMC TC myself, I didn't take it from Dukeplus.

Oh, I´m sorry, James. I thought I read somewhere in the credits of one of these TCs, that it was taken from DP.

• Honored Donor

View Postblizzart, on 14 March 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Oh, I´m sorry, James. I thought I read somewhere in the credits of one of these TCs, that it was taken from DP.

Yeah the system in the AMC TC works quite differently from that in DukePlus. You might have read that the ladder code was from DT though.

IMO the system in DukePlus is better and more intuitive on the mapping side of things. No offense James :angry:

User is offline   sedition 

I found a very intuitive 3D Software called Wings3D which is an easy way to create some models.

Here are my first one (a lot to do right now, but it worked very well). You have to export them as .dae or .obj to open it in Blender for an export to md3.

Right now I´m not aware of how I use additional viewports and how texture the models, but the modelling worked very fast for me.

Here´s the link to the homepage of this software http://www.wings3d.com/

And here are two screenshots of my first steps in the tool.
1st: some sort of turbine (I´m not quite sure what it will be in the end) for the laboratoties in the game
2nd: a grenade (which shall replace the pipebomb)

Attached Image: turbine.jpg
Attached Image: weap-grenade.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed that the grenade looks more like a lighthouse than anything else :angry:

This post has been edited by sedition: 21 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Just another teaser screenshot showing part of an outdoor map of the mod.

A lot needs to be added, like textures, models, details and of course the gameplay.

Attached Image: capt0009.jpg

User is offline   sedition 

Hi everybody,
I´m just working on a turbine fan model.

Right now I can´t decide which one I want to use as a giant fan in the game.

Here are two screenshots of the models...

Attached Image: turbine-fan02.jpg Attached Image: turbine-fan01.jpg

Hmm, right now I think, the smooth one doesn´t really fit into a industrial and dirty environment.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nice guys, keep up the good work. I can't wait to try this mod out :lol:

View PostDavoX, on 06 June 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Nice guys, keep up the good work. I can't wait to try this mod out :lol:

Thank you DavoX, TBH, the screenshots from your Paradise World mod were some sort of inspiration for some stuff of our mod.

But still we are far far away from releasing anything. Still we need some advanced coder, because neither me nor Sedition have the time to get into this. And of course mappers are also very welcomed.

Gladly Sedition can now start to make some new models. Honestly I´m tired of seeing the same models in nearly every Hires mod´s screenshot again and again. I´m talking about the Blackrayne models here, which we also use ;-). But Wings3D seems to be a very intuitive program which makes Sedition´s work much more easier than start learning Blender from the ground of.

So, after some very busy times (my third child was born five weeks ago), I finally had some time to work on this thing.

Here´s a screenshot for you which shows you a moody cellar. Nothing special, but....

Attached Image: capt0020_1.jpg

And at least we could recruit another model artist. So we will see if we can present you more model related stuff soon.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

That's nice man :P

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Very moody. Hopefully we'll get to explore that one day.

It has been a long time since I posted anything here, but here´s a new early-WIP screenshot.

Attached Image: prev100.jpg

The tree sprites will be replaced by models later on.

Unfortunately progress has slowed down very much in the last months. I have a lot to work and a lot of family stuff to do. Being a good father to three little children isn´t as easy as I thought.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Awesomeness. Reminds me of my FreeRunner mod, if that thing came out ;)

Wow, nearly one year has pasted...

I finally found some time to work on that damn thing. :)

Attached Image: duke0007_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0023_1.jpg

User is offline   Paul B 

blizzart - you are such a talented mapper. I enjoyed looking at all those awesome screenshots you've posted over the years. Nothing but grade A quality. All this nice work will pay off and I can't wait! Keep it up!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

You're doing some great stuff, you might have to cut some plans if you want to finish the mod though. Unfortunately, I can't take part to code anything for this. Do you have a rough estimate of how much work is left?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postblizzart, on 30 October 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I finally found some time to work on that damn thing. :)
Looks good! Keep it up!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options