Duke4.net Forums: Brute Force - an EDuke32 standalone mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brute Force - an EDuke32 standalone mod

User is online   blizzart 

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

The vast majority of those features have already been implemented in other mods/TCs, and in fact the translucent water is even possible in vanilla Duke now thanks to TROR.

It'd be a shame for someone to have to recode all those features from scratch.

Sorry MickyC,
I didn't pointed out that of course we would use existing code from other mods, if we get the permission for to use it. Nobody needs to recode everything.
I just don't know if the con code that already exists can easily be copied and paste into a blank con file or if we have to care about something to get all that code work together correctly?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

It'd be a shame for someone to have to recode all those features from scratch.

I dunno, at least people would learn stuff that way. It might be better than ripping the code.

EDIT @blizzart: I've coded pretty much everything on that list at one time or another, but I never did it with the goal of making the code easily portable or readable. Feel free to use code from DukePlus, WGR2, Attrition, or whatever, as long as you give credit, but don't expect any tech support from me since I'm not doing much modding these days and if I did my priority would be my own projects.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 October 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I dunno, at least people would learn stuff that way. It might be better than ripping the code.

EDIT @blizzart: I've coded pretty much everything on that list at one time or another, but I never did it with the goal of making the code easily portable or readable. Feel free to use code from DukePlus, WGR2, Attrition, or whatever, as long as you give credit, but don't expect any tech support from me since I'm not doing much modding these days and if I did my priority would be my own projects.

Thanks for your reply and your permission, Trooper Dan. Of course we will give credit to everyone´s work, we would use in our mod. Honestly, I would learn to code con by myself, but I really don´t have the time and I think I´m a too talentless in this stuff. I just don´t know where and with what I should start.

@ Trooper Dan:
Just another thing where I hope you can help me. I wrote a PM to you some days ago and asked for a hub map code you released some years ago. It was a very interesting code and came along with two maps. You were able to destroy things in those two maps and you could go forth and back between them. The new map loads but you can go back to the first one and the stuff you destroyed is still destroyed. I hope I made it a little bit clearer, what I meant in my PM :D

It would be great, if you already have this neat piece of code and could send it to me.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:
Forget about it, Trooper Dan. I finally found the files on my external HDD.
Sorry for annoying you with this.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 30 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In my experience, copying code ends up creating more work than if you coded it yourself and just used someone else's code as reference.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 30 October 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

In my experience, copying code ends up creating more work than if you coded it yourself and just used someone else's code as reference.

Yeah I have to agree with this quite alot. If you don't plan to modify it than it's fine, but everybody codes differently and sometimes looking at another person's code is like looking at another language entirely (having said that, I've always welcomed people to take and use what they want from my code as long as they credit me clearly for it)

View PostJames, on 30 October 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Yeah I have to agree with this quite alot. If you don't plan to modify it than it's fine, but everybody codes differently and sometimes looking at another person's code is like looking at another language entirely (having said that, I've always welcomed people to take and use what they want from my code as long as they credit me clearly for it)

Haha, I´ve just sent you an PM a minute ago and didn´t read this. I also agree with Captain Awesome, too.

I really hope I´ll get the time to learn coding...

After the guy, who promised to code for our project seems to be disappeared decided make it on my own and to give all that coding stuff a try. And maybe it's the learning of PHP I did lately, but reading through the ConFAQ on EDuke Wiki opened my eyes and most of that stuff is so clear to me now. I haven't coded anything yet, but I'll try to work through this FAQ this evening.
I know, a lot of that FAQ is old and obsolete, but I think it is the right way to learn the basics on how the con code actually works.

What is your opinion? Is learning of the old DN3D coding stuff necessary or should people just start with EDuke32 coding? IMO a EDuke32 confaq would be great, because the wiki is really confusing to me when it comes to EDuke32 coding.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I actually have an FAQ (with some incorrect information) laying around somewhere. However I think learning how to code the basics is very important. It helps you get a grip on some engine quirks, and there are still quite a few things that are simpler to do using older con functions. Years later you'll still be using things like actions, various movement commands, ifcansee/ifcanseetarget, and lots of other things even though most of it can be done using vars and member functions. You'll get (much) shorter and cleaner code that way. Heck even actions (the first thing I mentioned) could be emulated by having a range of picnums execute the same code block in EVENT_GAME and swapping between them (the picnums) depending on a counter.

Anyway, yes learn the basics.

Yeah, it actually works!
I took this piece of code:
useractor notenemy SUSHIPLATE99 WEAK  // define it as a useractor
  ifhitweapon
  {
    lotsofglass 7
    sound GLASS_BREAKING 
    killit
  }
enda

changed it to another sprite and played around with it (sound needs to be changed):
// Killing G-MAN

useractor notenemy GAYMAN WEAK  // define it as a useractor
  ifhitweapon
  {
    guts JIBS1 20
	guts JIBS2 20
	guts JIBS3 20
	guts JIBS4 20
    sound GLASS_BREAKING 
    killit
  }
enda

and it works:

And that´s how I looked like after seeing that it works:

This post has been edited by blizzart: 03 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View Postblizzart, on 03 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

I love me some Jägermeister.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postblizzart, on 03 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Media about killing G-Man...

LOL!

I know it's minor and you just not changed yet, but isn't it weird when you kill and gib a human but it plays the sound of braking glass? :P
(Plays the squish sound would be better.)

View PostPlayer Lin, on 04 November 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

LOL!

I know it's minor and you just not changed yet, but isn't it weird when you kill and gib a human but it plays the sound of braking glass? :P
(Plays the squish sound would be better.)

Yeah, I mentioned that the sound needs to changed. TBH it was a little bit too late last night and I drank some beers, so I was too lazy to change it. I just pasted the code from the ConFAQ into my con and changed what is spawned after shooting the sprite.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postblizzart, on 04 November 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Yeah, I mentioned that the sound needs to changed. TBH it was a little bit too late last night and I drank some beers, so I was too lazy to change it. I just pasted the code from the ConFAQ into my con and changed what is spawned after shooting the sprite.

What is it with substance use and coding around here? Posted ImagePosted Image

An really really early WIP shot of a part of the above mentioned city map. Models and decals need to be placed and the details in the architecture aren´t done, yet.

Attached Image: capt0024_1.jpg

User is offline   sedition 

View Postblizzart, on 07 November 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

An really really early WIP shot of a part of the above mentioned city map. Models and decals need to be placed and the details in the architecture aren´t done, yet.

Attachment capt0024_1.jpg

Yeah, I know you are waiting for the models. I hope I´ll get some time to do this in the next two or three weeks. Sorry for the delay but it´s sometimes a pain in the ass for me to get them working right in Mapster/EDuke.
Anyway, nice scrrenshot.

View Postsedition, on 12 November 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Yeah, I know you are waiting for the models. I hope I´ll get some time to do this in the next two or three weeks. Sorry for the delay but it´s sometimes a pain in the ass for me to get them working right in Mapster/EDuke.
Anyway, nice scrrenshot.

I know, that you don´t have time to care about the models, so don´t hestitate. I will fit in the models after they are ready to use.
So here two more screens of the map I´m currently working on.

First one is an updated version of the place I posted the last time.

Attached Image: capt0027_1.jpg
Attached Image: capt0026_1.jpg

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I love the dirty/abandoned feel of the place, and the lighting's pretty good. Allow me to offer some advice: when two walls meet at 90 degree angles, they should never both have the same shade. And with that whitish point light in the middle of the second shot, I suggest turning that into a downwards spotlight, and give it a light map. I was playing FEAR recently, and the level of architecture is very similar to what you have in those maps, except it had fantastic lighting including some very well used light maps to show the shadows/refractions that the light sources are casting, it makes the actual lights look 10 times better. Since you've got a stand-alone TC where you can include custom content I can't recommend enough investing in several high quality light maps. (Or are they called shadow maps? I'm not that savvy on nomenclature). Edit: I wonder if it's possible to have animated light maps, then you can do things like spinning fans...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It is:

• Honored Donor

Just to clarify, I mean light maps such as what's used in this picture: https://plus.google....3970?banner=pwa

Actually yeah never mind I assume they're probably the same thing so of course they can be animated.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The part with the tiles looks really good, but it'd look a lot better if you lined up some of the jagged edges where the tiles are missing along the lines in the tile texture. Should add some individual tiles lying around as well.

I'm not quite sure, what you mean with light maps, MickyC. Is this the texture, a spotlight projects? In that case, yes, we are going to insert something in the near future.

And yes, TerminX, I'm going to make some tiles lying around. There are a lot of details that have to be included to the map.

Anyway, thank you for your critical posts, they help me/us to make better stuff in the end.

• Honored Donor

For example have a look at this, if that was an ordinary eduke32 spotlight that would look fairly dull by comparison. The shadow/light map whatever it's called gives the lights patterns that make them more interesting.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMicky C, on 13 November 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

For example have a look at this, if that was an ordinary eduke32 spotlight that would look fairly dull by comparison. The shadow/light map whatever it's called gives the lights patterns that make them more interesting.
Hm, at least there's the Polymer projections stuff example in the HRP, but apparently no one makes use of it.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Well the video I linked is a good example.

• Honored Donor

View PostLeoD, on 13 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hm, at least there's the Polymer projections stuff example in the HRP, but apparently no one makes use of it.

If you mean those two projection maps in the HRP on tiles 9001 and 9002, then they're only for a very specific purpose and you can't really use them all that much.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostLeoD, on 13 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

People are definitely using it, it's just that not too much has yet been released that use it.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDaedolon, on 13 November 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

People are definitely using it, it's just that not too much has yet been released that use it.
Considering it's at least 3.5 years old ... but I'm looking forward to the upcoming stuff. :P
Can things get even better than the last couple of weeks?

• Honored Donor

Keep in mind that for 99% of that time the projections were back to front, upside down, and could not be animated, which heavily restricted their use. It's only recently that all this extra cool flexibility and bug fixing was done.

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostMicky C, on 12 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

when two walls meet at 90 degree angles, they should never both have the same shade.

That becomes irrelevant when using Polymer lighting...

About people using spotlight projections, I'm not using them much in my current project (just for water caustics), but I plan on heavily using them on my next one. Hopefully things will be a little more optimized by then, because I want to do really crazy stuff :P

This post has been edited by Diaz: 13 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options