Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D console ports - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D console ports  "Best console version of the 90s?"

Poll: Duke 3D console ports (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Best console version of Duke Nukem 3D?

1. Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PlayStation, September 30 1997) (12 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Duke Nukem 3D (Sega Saturn, October 31 1997) (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Duke Nukem 64 (Nintendo 64, November 16 1997) (34 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTX, on 30 July 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

Pretty much. Since the size of the individual level files on the disc is so large compared to their PC counterparts, my theory is that all of the individual textures used in the maps are present in the maps themselves instead of being loaded from a separate art file as a way to better work within the PSX's 2 MB RAM.
Your theory about separate art files may be right, since in E1L9 all textures (i.e. HUD, menu, player, projectiles) appear to be bugged in this level, which is only 204kb (compare to the 1,6mb of E1L1).

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

psx? playstation? I'm just guessing though.

@ Captain Awesome. Maybe I justworded it wrong, but basically TT's composer, Mark Knight, stated on his site that the reason it went for a techno/rave style soundtrack was because Europe didn't like the "darker" OST of the PC version. And to me, the PSX's music blows any other version out the water.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I just thought that a soundtrack for Duke comprised of songs sounding like Samhain, Cancerslug, and 45 Grave would be most likely hilarious and completely out of place.

Most of the songs on the Music To Score By OST were outta place lol.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, they fit pretty well with the games that N-Space were working on. They don't really make sense outside of a 1990's context. All of those acts were very popular in the underground, and had moderate success in the mainstream as well. Megadeth also had an influence on the writing of Grabbag in the first place, and Stabbing Westward's track on the album was the intro theme to Time to Kill. Plus, you can never go wrong with the Wu-Tang Clan.

User is offline   Nukemprime 

I voted N64 version. Because they changed a lot in this game.
The levels had added stuff (Like a Duke Burger in level 2)
Some levels where totally remade (Like Rabbid transit) Weapons changed (Plasma gun = Awesome)
And some added 3D elements. Explosions - Plasma flash - Smoke - And the Cycloid Emperor.
You know what they say, with restrictions, comes creativity.
Since the 3D like background could not be made in N64, they expanded the level beyond the play-field.
A funny censor note, instead of a bare breasted babe (captured in alien slime from ceiling)
They could put a bra on her, no they ripped the whole chest out.

This post has been edited by Nukemprime: 04 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNukemprime, on 04 August 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Since the 3D like background could not be made in N64, they expanded the level beyond the play-field.

I contacted William Beacham (aka Bill Beacham) a while ago and he mentioned they did that because it looks better.

Keep in mind that Duke Nukem 64 also renders an image in the background, however it's a plain gradient instead of some detailed textures. It would be very easy for them to do the same of the PC version.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The N64 version was the first version of the game I owned. Plus, of all the console ports I think it has the best multiplayer functionality. Splitscreen four player DM/TDM/COOP. Plus a couple nice MP maps. Not to mention I love Grabbag on the 64. So awesome. Not to mention that nice introduction that sets the stage for Duke's rampage. Posted Image

User is offline   Martin 

The N64 version was also the first version I owned. It was a great all-rounder! Anyone remember this?

This isn't due to emulation, I remember seeing this first-hand on my N64. I did it at the exact same spot, too. I remember trying it in other places and it not working. I thought it was really cool, and not a glitch!

User is offline   Fox 

That's quite interesting. It doesn't occur just in that room, but everywere near the same y coordinate. Apparently once y breaks a value of roughly -63,000 this glitch will occur.

Despite the first impression, the glitch is relatively simply and merely the explosion model streched ad infinitum in one direction.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Awesome. Think you could add in this same glitch to the Duke64 mod? :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I want that glitch to happen on every window. It looks awesome.

I loved the 64 version. Adding its own things that weren't from the original and making it a whole new experience. The grenade launcher is awesome, the multiplayer is still fun to play, and overall it was a faithful port even if it didn't completley copy the original. It had the Duke TOUCH! The feel. It felt like a Duke game. Same can be said for Forever. So I'm going for the N64 version. One thing that sucks though is my 64 is broken.........and Zero Hour doesn't play itself.

This post has been edited by Duke_Forever: 15 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

Crap, double post.

This post has been edited by Duke_Forever: 15 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

View PostDuke_Forever, on 29 August 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

So I'm going for the N64 version. One thing that sucks though is my 64 is broken.........and Zero Hour doesn't play itself.

Get one of the n64 emulators and play it on your pc or if you have a 1ghz android powered mobile phone, there are n64 emulators for it that work very nice, however it's kind of a pain in the ass to play fps games with a touch screen only.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 16 December 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

Get one of the n64 emulators and play it on your pc or if you have a 1ghz android powered mobile phone, there are n64 emulators for it that work very nice, however it's kind of a pain in the ass to play fps games with a touch screen only.

There are 64 emulators for Android? I need to look into that. I had a 64 emulator but my computer is having issues so it will be a while before I can get back into PC gaming.

• Honored Donor

Are the console ports such as Zero Hour and Time to Kill worth playing in an emulator on a computer for someone who hasn't played them before?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMicky C, on 16 December 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

Are the console ports such as Zero Hour and Time to Kill worth playing in an emulator on a computer for someone who hasn't played them before?

I think so, if you want to go through the (minor) hassle of setting up a PSX emulator with all the right plugins.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The console ports independent games can be worth it since it doesn't take too much effort. I set up my N64 emulator so I could play Zero Hour using WASD+Mouse but I got bored with the game.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Yep. I've played Time To Kill and it's as good a game as any, though you will of course need to recalibrate the keyboard controls so that you're able to play comfortably.

User is offline   necroslut 

Zero Hour is the best of the console games, some even go as far as to say it's the best Duke game but it's not nearly as good as D3D if you ask me, but it's worth a try. Time To Kill is pretty decent as well, if you can stand the clunky controls and PS1 graphics. Land of the Babes if really only worth it if you're done with Time to Kill and want more of the same, as that's pretty much what it is but not as good (even if it's not really as terrible as internet comments might lead you to believe).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Zero Hour is great, but I wouldn't recommend playing it on an emulator. For some reason the cart doesn't dump properly, so the ROMs come out with corruptions that can create all kinds of issues. Same deal with Duke64, in my experience.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 18 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

• Honored Donor

View Postnecroslut, on 17 December 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Time To Kill is pretty decent as well, if you can stand the clunky controls and PS1 graphics.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 18 December 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Zero Hour is great, but I wouldn't recommend playing it on an emulator.

Yeah I asked the question as someone who has never really played any PS1 or N64 games, so the horrible, horrible graphics and bad controls (which would be even worse on PC I imagine) would have to be taken into account. Come to think of it, there are probably better games that I could waste my time playing then 10 year old emulated console games Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 18 December 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

For some reason the cart doesn't dump properly, so the ROMs come out with corruptions that can create all kinds of issues. Same deal with Duke64, in my experience.

Do you have a source for this information? Both games have proper [!] dumps in GoodN64 so the only thing I can think of is the sorry state of N64 emulators.

View PostMicky C, on 18 December 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yeah I asked the question as someone who has never really played any PS1 or N64 games, so the horrible, horrible graphics and bad controls (which would be even worse on PC I imagine) would have to be taken into account. Come to think of it, there are probably better games that I could waste my time playing then 10 year old emulated console games Posted Image

The N64 games can be played with keyboard+mouse, so the controls are probably better on an emulator. As for bad dumps, I only noticed a few graphic glitches, nothing serious.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Usually Zero Hour crashes when you try to get on the helicopter at the end of the training level. It does it later in the game in spots too, if I remember right.

Also, Zero Hour has great graphics. It's a visual extension of Duke3D, it uses many of the same textures in fact.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 December 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Usually Zero Hour crashes when you try to get on the helicopter at the end of the training level.

Didn't happen to me.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Perhaps emulators or dumps are better, I haven't bothered with it in a while.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 December 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Usually Zero Hour crashes when you try to get on the helicopter at the end of the training level. It does it later in the game in spots too, if I remember right.

Also, Zero Hour has great graphics. It's a visual extension of Duke3D, it uses many of the same textures in fact.

That's because you've tried the wrong dump. :) I think it's the US one that crashes and the European one that works, or it's the other way around.
One of them works, and the other one crashes at the helicopter.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options