Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D console ports - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D console ports  "Best console version of the 90s?"

Poll: Duke 3D console ports (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Best console version of Duke Nukem 3D?

1. Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PlayStation, September 30 1997) (12 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Duke Nukem 3D (Sega Saturn, October 31 1997) (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Duke Nukem 64 (Nintendo 64, November 16 1997) (34 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Martin 

View PostTerminX, on 21 August 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

This poll should be edited to include EDuke32 on the Wii, as it's clearly the best console port ever. ;)

Have in for sale on store shelves, then it will be added ;)

Also time-travel back to the 90s to launch your Wii version. People won't understand why you've released a game which cannot be played for 10 years, but then they'll know once the Wii is launched.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 22 August 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

I can't find the info anywhere :

Does anybody know if the Saturn version of Duke3D is compatible with the keyboard and mouse of the Saturn?

And if so, how does it play? Can you play at the same time with keyboard and mouse or is it one or the other?

if you also knew about the other FPS on the systems that'd be nice...

well fuck, according to these guys : http://www.sega-16.c...hp/t-12268.html the Saturn version is fully playable with keyboard AND mouse, but only the american version, not the european one !

you guys are lucky, i've got the saturn, i've got the game but never beat it because i couldn't stand the controls. i would have gotten a saturn keyboard+mouse if i had the american version...

Anybody knows the answer to the same question for PSX and N64 versions ?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Duke 3D also works with the Saturn analogue pad (which came with NiGHTS). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the N64 and PSone versions do not support keyboard and mouse. It's one of those accessories which (back then) would have kind of been a Japan-only dealio with not much exception.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

I can't stand playing through the 64 version due to lack of music. I like the multiplayer though, but yeah, playing through the game just feels so lifeless and boring. . . . Saturn version is pretty cool, didn't know you could use mouse and keyboard with it, I'll probably try that sometime when I get the mouse and keyboard for the Saturn. I don't have a Playstation so I've never played Total Meltdown, but I can now though because I have a PS3.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Well that's pretty rad I may have to consider that as I only have a "digital" Saturn pad and not the one with the analogue stick.

I go for Duke Nukem 64. Don't you guys just wish the Duke Nukem 64's weapons especially the plasma cannon were in the PC version?

User is offline   t800 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 02 October 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I go for Duke Nukem 64. Don't you guys just wish the Duke Nukem 64's weapons especially the plasma cannon were in the PC version?

Well, you can play eduke32 with Duke 64 weapons. You have two options:
- Either you can wait for Duke Nukem 64 Mod made by Fox to get released
- Or you can try Nuclear Showdown made by James, it also adds many other things (reloadable pistol and shotgun, additional episode and weapons, pigcop melee attack, saveable cocooned babes) beyond adding plasma cannon and dual smgs from Duke 64
(To James: I am again propagating your mod here, I begin to feel like your unintetional advertising here ;) )

User is offline   Jinroh 

Here's a beta video of the Saturn port, it's pretty cool, but weirdly enough all the enemies shatter like they're frozen when killed. Ezra Dreisbach must not have had gibbing or flying blood in yet? Dunno.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well this is proof that all the levels were re-created instead of being ported and modified somehow.

This must have been so boring to build.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMetHy, on 22 October 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Well this is proof that all the levels were re-created instead of being ported and modified somehow.

Yeah it had to be mostly recreated as they were using a different engine, but according to this GiantBomb page and interviews with Lobotomy it seems like with Duke at least they could import the level and piece it together in 3D from a BUILD map.

[quote name=''Giantbomb Article']As they were separate engines' date=' a new windows-based level editor named, "Brew" was constructed to handle preexisting maps from Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. While levels could be imported into Brew from Duke Nukem 3D, they still required substantional reworking before they could be usable. Quake maps, on the other hand, had to be rebuilt from the ground up within the editor.[/quote']
http://www.giantbomb...engine/92-2301/

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 23 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Awesome finds, Jinroh! Thanks for the video and info. Saturn Duke will always have a place in my heart, even though you guys think it's shit!

User is offline   nukemania 

View PostMetHy, on 22 October 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

That's not necessarily true.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMartin, on 26 October 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Awesome finds, Jinroh! Thanks for the video and info. Saturn Duke will always have a place in my heart, even though you guys think it's shit!

No problem. :D I'm a big fan of Duke for the Saturn as well, it's a shame it's so hard to get a Net Link game up and running these days haha. Ezra Dreisbach's SlaveDriver engine is really a thing of beauty though. The fact that he could get a 6DOF 3D engine with kickass lighting effects running on the Saturn must have made many a Sony fanboy throw a tantrum back in the day. :D With reliable network code too no less and all on a 28.8k connection.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 29 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The lighting engine looks cool but everything else seems to be only half-working.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 October 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

The lighting engine looks cool but everything else seems to be only half-working.

Haha yeah it is missing some slopes, swinging doors, and spinning/moving level pieces. I would imagine it is because it likely uses BSP trees or some other kind of static PVS to determine what is to be drawn unlike the portal-ish system BUILD uses.

I was surprised it had mirror when the N64 port didn't. Disappointing on the part of the N64 team. Haha. IIRC the pool table in E1L1 works in the Saturn Port. I remember seeing topics about the Saturn port seemed 1/2 finished which could be possible. Most people note that E1L1 is perfect in terms of polish, added/massaged content, whereas Shrapnel City and Lunar Apocalypse seem less so.

User is offline   Martin 

Sorry boys, but I had to show you this! It seems you can still get online with your Sega Saturn version of Duke 3D. That's just too cool for school, in a really dorky, gamer-enthusiast way. Badass game on a badass console.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Haha yeah I saw that too. I have a Saturn, Netlink, and Duke, but I have a VOIP phone line and sadly the Netlink isn't compatible with VOIP most if any VOIP services. Blah, I'd love to play some Netlink games again, loved that back in the day.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well, four years after I made that post above there I replayed DN3D Saturn and finally beat it.

After getting very interested in Lobotomy's engine through their console version of Powerslave, I decided to give DN3D a go, and I'll probably check out Quake as well.

I have to say that I was so wrong about the controls. Whether it's in Powerslave or DN3D, for a console FPS of that time, it plays really well.

Everyone talks about what's missing in the Saturn version, and it's true that it's missing a lot (a lot of levels were simplified, plenty of effects missing, etc)

But if you look at it through the angle of what it adds, or what it does differently, it's a fun version. For instance, I really like how most enemies are more ferocious. Most of them seem to be faster and to have an easier time tracking down the player, in most cases. Then you have how Commanders throw several rockets in a row, Octobrains' shots are faster and they deal tons of damage when they bite you up close, this sort of thing. It proves to be a challenge in a refreshing way.

Some weapons firing rate seemed slow, but I think it's due to how I'm playing the PAL version. Just like in Powerslave, Lobotomy went through some extra effort to make the games run at their right speed in their PAL versions, but some things, like some weapons firing rate, remain a little slower.

I liked how sometimes they made good use of their dynamic lights and their 3D engine, for instance in E1L4 they changed the underwater area so that there is an area on top of the other (and you can see both at the same time)
At 1m40s :

But for the most part, I was disappointed. This is an inaccurate port by definition, so I think they should have gone wild and do more things like this, change more levels to make good use of their engine possibilities, rather than stripping down the original levels which showcase the engine's cons rather than its pros. For instance, Fusion Station, in this version it's not even a giant tower anymore, it's a linear straightforward level and it's even stripped into 2 maps.... This really shows the advantages of a 2.5D engine at the time though. No machine could have handled something like Fusion Station in true 3D in 1996, not even Quake had that much verticality.

In conclusion, their 3D engine is great, if the levels were built with it in mind to begin with, like with Powerslave console. Now I'm curious to see if their version of Quake fares better, considering Quake's level design and style is much closer to Powerslave than DN3D was.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

It would have been nice if they had the option to use the 3D controller automatically if present rather than requiring a cheat code to be entered in to use it.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options