Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever 1 month anniversary - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever 1 month anniversary  "How do you feel about the game after all this time?"

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The last time I saw Broussard have any exchange with fans was at Shacknews defending the 2 weapon limit. After blaming it on "controller restrictions" someone then listed half a dozen console games that do not have this problem. Being proven full of shit he promptly disappeared into the night.

I doubt George Broussard will have any sort of capacity in the gaming industry again.

View PostPsyrgery, on 12 July 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

Many stuff was cut of it. There were going to be flying motorbikes (like those from Duke3d), pigcops tanks (like those from Duke3d). MANY THINGS GOT CUT. And they may be related to why has the game been left with this "incomplete and rushed" feeling the game has. Some levels and stuff were made (Forklift and Hoover dam) by 2006!!!. Remember the Alien-stuff from the Jace hall video? That weird alien-arm grabbing those weird red glowing things? Were was that?

Yeah that SUCKED! but I don't remember alien arm grabbing stuff in the Jace Hall Footage.

And yes, some thing looks rushed (RUSHED!!!, WITH STUFF THAT WAS ALREADY DONE BY 2006), and WORSENED!. The leech worm was to be encountered some times before we would face it, in the current game he just spawns out of nowhere, it's nonsense!. Also, when Jace was using the Devastator, once of the big pipes of steam of the ceiliing fell off due to the explosions, as part of level destructability it felt very realistic and well done. Now it doesn't happen if it's not scrippted.

OMG YES! I can't believe how rushed it is. Surely after all this damn time and the extra year or so the game should've so polished it, it would hurt to look at it. Also regrauding level destructability and physics I too noticed that every thing from the leaks and footage was all but gone in the final game. I remember watching the demo reel and seeing the Battlelord make a cop car flip over, with very real looking physics, I remeber the worm moving realistically, I remember everything looking like it was realistic and impressive to it being gone in the final game! WTF!?

George Broussard once said "It doesn't feel like an Unreal game anymore". Perhaps it is just me, that I've played plenty of Unreal games, and that I can tell which game does use the Unreal Engine by the feels of it, but this game feels nothing more than a game made on Unreal Engine. The collision defection, the consistence of how the map is built, how the character moves... Damn, it almost looks like an Unreal 2/ Tournament 2004 mod.

THIS!!! It feels like Half-Life 2 mixed with Unreal with bad results!! Duke never reacts or responds to the president yelling at him, when the twins talk to him he bearly responds, when people ask him if the aliens are the same he never answers, WTF! DNF ISN'T GORDON FREEMAN!! I know George was obsessed with making the physics etc. as good as HL but he should'nt have done that with the fricking CHARACTER! DAMN IT GEORGE!

*Ahem*

Sorry

And the most disappointing is the direction the game headed at after 2001/2003 builds (by far, the most beloved by EVERYONE, not only Duke fans). They should have kept everything from these builds, and just updated it to DNF's standards. We would have been talking of it as the Game of the year, despite it flaws.
It's the disappointment of a disappointment.

100% THIS!! This needs to be quoted forever to make GBX listen.

View PostMad Max RW said:

I wonder if certain people here will have the balls to down-vote a moderator for saying that.

CultureShock or blackharted? :( Uh oh I said it! :(

This post has been edited by blackandbright: 13 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View Postblackandbright, on 13 July 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

Yeah that SUCKED! but I don't remember alien arm grabbing stuff in the Jace Hall Footage.

Here, minute 4:20-4:30. It is just a glimpse, but you can surely see it.

Also, another i noticed in the video: Death animation ragdolls looked great, Now pregnators and octabrains explode in a very lame gibberish explosion. They don't even go ragdoll (which was stated as kickass by Broussard himself when talking about the ragdoll octabrains that, were in fact implemented in the 2001-2003 builds) if they die from sustaining fewer dsmage, and let the gibs explode if they take greater amounts of damage, just like it is meant to be, has always been and MUST be.

It is effin lame to see the Octa dropping with their legs completely stiff, I was expecting to witness that kickassery Broussard was actually talking about.

The gibs of the pregnators and octabrains are just plain underwhelming, when gibs ought to be rewarding and satysfying to the players. It make enemies with great potential go to waste because of poor, abysmal design management.

Also, lolz, lots of mistakes in my previous post, gotta look through it :(

View PostPsyrgery, on 13 July 2011 - 06:06 AM, said:

Also, another i noticed in the video: Death animation ragdolls looked great, Now pregnators and octabrains explode in a very lame gibberish explosion. They don't even go ragdoll (which was stated as kickass by Broussard himself when talking about the ragdoll octabrains that, were in fact implemented in the 2001-2003 builds) if they die from sustaining fewer dsmage, and let the gibs explode if they take greater amounts of damage, just like it is meant to be, has always been and MUST be.

It is effin lame to see the Octa dropping with their legs completely stiff, I was expecting to witness that kickassery Broussard was actually talking about.

The gibs of the pregnators and octabrains are just plain underwhelming, when gibs ought to be rewarding and satysfying to the players. It make enemies with great potential go to waste because of poor, abysmal design management.

100% Agreed. The ragdoll physic were awesome which is rare for me to say. There was no reason to remove them, Octabrains falling with stiff legs is retarted as surely when dead thier legs would flop when hitting the ground? Like if I drop say a dress on the floor it wouldn't fall stiff and rigid it would crease and bend and stuff. Lame example I know. But yeah gibs were massively underwhelming and you should get some manner of satisfaction from blasting something to pieces. If a shooting game can't get that right, you know your in trouble.

I hate to say this, I really do but I just can't believe how much cool stuff was removed unnecessarily. Surely satisfying gibs and cool moments of physics from them, or in general would've ramped up both people's like and enjoyment of the game, as well as review scores?

Before you say it I really don't think that stuff was removed because of memory limits, because a modern console or PC can surely handle them, if HL could back in '04 for example.

This post has been edited by blackandbright: 13 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postblackandbright, on 13 July 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

THIS!!! It feels like Half-Life 2 mixed with Unreal with bad results!! Duke never reacts or responds to the president yelling at him, when the twins talk to him he bearly responds, when people ask him if the aliens are the same he never answers, WTF! DNF ISN'T GORDON FREEMAN!! I know George was obsessed with making the physics etc. as good as HL but he should'nt have done that with the fricking CHARACTER! DAMN IT GEORGE!

Like a lot of stuff, you can't blame this on George Broussard. While you do a little voice acting during production, 99% of it is done right before the game is finished. If you remember, Jon St. John entered the recording studio to do his lines after GBX took over. This is not GB's fault. In fact, I thin most of our most dire griefs wouldn't have been in the shipped game if GB had been in control. I also truly believe 3DR would have shipped the game if they hadn't got sued.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 13 July 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Like a lot of stuff, you can't blame this on George Broussard. While you do a little voice acting during production, 99% of it is done right before the game is finished. If you remember, Jon St. John entered the recording studio to do his lines after GBX took over. This is not GB's fault.

Yeah okay that makes sense. Yes okay win this round.

In fact, I think most of our most dire griefs wouldn't have been in the shipped game if GB had been in control. I also truly believe 3DR would have shipped the game if they hadn't got sued.

Agreed 100%

I actaully wish 3DR still was making the game. I'm now missing the days of "just fucking finish it 3DR it doesn't take X number of years to make a game." I kinda miss it.

This post has been edited by blackandbright: 13 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 13 July 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

The last time I saw Broussard have any exchange with fans was at Shacknews defending the 2 weapon limit. After blaming it on "controller restrictions" someone then listed half a dozen console games that do not have this problem.

Can't find the quote on shacknews, but George surely didn't disappear after the game was shipped. He said along the lines that he wasn't involved with the game since 2009 and he didn't ship it.

I also truly believe 3DR would have shipped the game if they hadn't got sued.

Then you are wrong. They got sued once everyone on the team was fired, not before that. The ship had already sunk.

View PostHelel, on 13 July 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

Can't find the quote on shacknews, but George surely didn't disappear after the game was shipped. He said along the lines that he wasn't involved with the game since 2009 and he didn't ship it.

Yeah I think that post can be found on Wikipedia which links you straight to the Shack.

He also said 3DR people like him were only involved with play testing and giving feedback somewhere.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Then you are wrong. They got sued once everyone on the team was fired, not before that. The ship had already sunk.

That's not quite how I remember it, but my memory is dogshit.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

No, he's right, T2 sued a few days after they disbanded.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ah, actually, I remember now. 3DR asked T2 for a little bit of money to finish it up, and they declined. 3DR had to fire everyone to stop from going under. T2 then sued. My original point still stands, I think with support from T2 they still could have shipped it. Everyone who worked on the game said that this was the first time the team was really big enough and actually hunkered down to finish the game.

http://www.shacknews...anchor_26031903

This game needs a better engine >.>

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

My opinion of the game has actually grown a bit more favorable. During my second playthrough I was less disappointed about some things that had disappointed me during my first playthrough. I guess this is just natural now that one no longer has false expectations and can simply play the game for what it is.

View PostMicky C, on 10 July 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

I'd have to say one of my biggest disappointments, and I haven't seen this anywhere else, is that there wasn't any Johny Lenoman interview! I was so pumped for having a an interview about how great I was to boost my ego (both figuratively and literally) and seeing Duke have a proper conversation and dialogue. Then as soon as I stepped on the set, I discovered the interview had been 'cancelled'.
That felt very cheap to me, almost as if they couldn't be bothered setting up a proper interview so they went "I know, let's say the interview was cancelled because of the aliens" and took the easy way out.

That's a weird thing to complain about. I hate scenes where you have to put up with tons of dialogue while your movements are severely constrained.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 13 July 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

My original point still stands, I think with support from T2 they still could have shipped it. Everyone who worked on the game said that this was the first time the team was really big enough and actually hunkered down to finish the game.

While it is true that T2 didn't support 3DR in their dire times, you can't really blame them for having doubts about sponsoring Duke Nukem Forever.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I agree, it's just the way events unfolded, and it was unfortunate. I think if T2 had made a greater investment then they also would have made the game a greater success. We're all biting the bullet for that one. Business is all about risks, and DNF reflects that. The outcome felt more like business than a work of love.

No amount of money and extra time would have benefited a DNF completed by 3D Realms. They had 14 years and couldn't pull it off. The game needed an entirely new team and lead designer with great management skills. Perhaps we'll get that several years from now if Gearbox doesn't stick the license in a closet.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Perhaps, but you do have to realize the fact that pretty much the same team completed the game. They were only missing management positions. There are also 3 distinct versions of the game that we know of. The 1998 and 2001 builds had a lot of time spent doing fuck-all. This version was the closest 3DR ever got to release. Remember that they finally had an engine that could be considered modern for it's time (it only looks dated now because of the delays brought on about with the lack of funds/firing.) Plenty of content was also cut because of this. I think 3DR could have done it. George Broussard's control over the project was, from all information I can gather, reduced. There were quite a few management positions other than Scott and George.

It depends on who you believe. Several former 3DR people admitted the stuff shown up to 2001 was all scripted set-pieces and there was no real game. This is common practice in the industry. What isn't common is how often they dumped everything and started over. I doubt they had a beta version you can play from start to finish until a few years ago. They'd create a vertical slice, add to it for a year, then find the tech isn't good enough or the design is flawed and start over. 3DR *could have* pulled it off in the end, but no publisher in their right mind would waste any more time and money on them.

But this is past tense hypothetical bullshitting. The only thing anybody should get out of DNF's history is what not to do while developing a game.

I just wonder how every engine they used just kept being outdated. Slow development, or george's perfectionism?

Like a lot of stuff, you can't blame this on George Broussard. While you do a little voice acting during production, 99% of it is done right before the game is finished. If you remember, Jon St. John entered the recording studio to do his lines after GBX took over. This is not GB's fault. In fact, I thin most of our most dire griefs wouldn't have been in the shipped game if GB had been in control. I also truly believe 3DR would have shipped the game if they hadn't got sued.

Actually...St. John recorded his dialouge for the game in 2008, 2009, and just a couple of more lines in 2010. Waaay before GBX took over.

As far as what people are saying about Broussard, they are pretty much right. I've met him recently and he was a very nice guy, but even he admitted he had no final plan for the game really. I think the 2001 build would've been the most amazing (maybe), but we'll never know.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 13 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postthelegend4ever, on 13 July 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

Actually...St. John recorded his dialouge for the game in 2008, 2009, and just a couple of more lines in 2010. Waaay before GBX took over.

As far as what people are saying about Broussard, they are pretty much right. I've met him recently and he was a very nice guy, but even he admitted he had no final plan for the game really. I think the 2001 build would've been the most amazing (maybe), but we'll never know.

You don't record minor BS dialogue until the final stages. You will record pieces that help string along the plot and cutscenes and such, but generally NPC interaction and crap like that is done last. This runs along just fine with the fact that the game was rushed out the door once GBX took over.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 13 July 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

You don't record minor BS dialogue until the final stages. You will record pieces that help string along the plot and cutscenes and such, but generally NPC interaction and crap like that is done last. This runs along just fine with the fact that the game was rushed out the door once GBX took over.

Hence why I'm saying that the dialouge for the game was pretty much complete waay before GBX took over. I was only responding to that because you said JSJ started doing the voices AFTER GBX took over....which isn't correct. I know for sure. He only did the multiplayer voices in 2010 and that was it. Everything else was done. So yeah he did record minor speech in 2010, but the game's speech was done back in 2009..mostly in 2008.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Which still goes along with my point. Gearbox didn't take the time to record that stuff.

User is offline   Graywolf 

Well, I agree with most.. it was an ok game, but that could have been a way better experience on my opinion, mostly because gameplay/design decisions by the developers (read GEORGE). I'll explain in topics what I hated about the game:

1) Linearity - Scripted Sequences all the way - > The game is merely an a Halo/COD game within the Duke Universe. The maps, altought good looking in most parts, they do not offer any kind of replay value. I finished the game twice, and don't have any motivation to go for the third time. I missed the chance of searching for hidden stuff trought the game. I actually felt sad when duke said "I don't need no fucking keycards". I wish he did.

2) 2 Weapon cap - Seriously, wtf was george thinking? It was by far the most stupid decision EVER on the game. Ok, so, he claims that its not appropriate to carry a dozen weapons like Duke 3D? Ok, no problem. But why only TWO? Games like Far Cry have 4 weapon cap, it would be totally plausible and possible to duke carry 4 guns, especially if you take in consideration that you can actually hold a pistol in your leg holster. Bad, Bad decision - and unjustifiable.

3) Excessive use of non-shooting parts -> This aspect is the most personal, is most basely on what I wanted from the game.. others may disagree, but I HATED WITH A PASSION every SHRUNK Duke stage on the game. I found it extremely painfully NOT fun. The RC driving and the monster truck driving was too long and boring for my taste. I hated the turret sections as well, it reminds too much of COD (as a lot of other games today, but I wasn't expecting DNF to be another one). The barrel puzzles were stupid as well, and the sad part is that they are roughly the same kind of thing that Hl2 brought 7 years ago.

4) Ending -> the ending from the game was the worst I've seen in the last 10 years of gaming.

I wish the game was more about on-foot shooting than lame boring non-shooting fillers. Some levels like the DUke's apartment, the Hive, hoover damn, underwater and the casino looks really good. but there's levels like the vegas in ruins and duke dome that was totally uninspired and dull. I think the level intereactivty is great and 3D realms did a good job on it, it.

All in all, DNF has some good things like the shooting and level interaactivity, and should have been just that. George Broussard instead of making a game with an a idendity of his own, tried to implement random stuff from games like COD, halo, Half-life and some driving parts that just didn't worked out, and it shouldn't.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 14 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostGraywolf, on 13 July 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

Duke was always about mindless shooting with humor and interactivity.

Because at the time of his last FPS appearance "mindless shooting" was pretty normal. And most likely Duke3d itself was standing out from the "mindless shooting" crowd of FPSes in 1996.

Anyway, if there are games that could get away all the old school elements like fast pacing, keycards and weapon capacity DNF was amongst them. Don't really know the reason to force regen and 2-weapon on DNF when people wouldn't mind having medkits and lots of weapons in a game they would love to play with a "nostalgia factor".

User is offline   zwieback 

played the multiplayer yesterday the whole evening. Team DM ftw. 100% DUKE without OUT OF SYNC :(

User is offline   Graywolf 

View PostHelel, on 14 July 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

Because at the time of his last FPS appearance "mindless shooting" was pretty normal. And most likely Duke3d itself was standing out from the "mindless shooting" crowd of FPSes in 1996.

Anyway, if there are games that could get away all the old school elements like fast pacing, keycards and weapon capacity DNF was amongst them. Don't really know the reason to force regen and 2-weapon on DNF when people wouldn't mind having medkits and lots of weapons in a game they would love to play with a "nostalgia factor".

Duke 3D stood out because featured impressive and never seen urban levels, more open places and and location variety. And of course, the graphics were the best and the interactivity was innovative, and the shooting mechanics were a blast. But it was a straightfoward shooter, from the first to the last level of the game. And that's why it was great.

DNF retrained the interactivity and the shooting right IMO, feels right and good to shoot the aliens. Because that's what I want in a duke game, shooting, interactiviy, humor.. DNF brought that.. but wasn't just that.. because George Broussard itself, you can see on lots of interviews during the course of DNF development, that he was a enthusiast of Half-life (great game), Halo, probably COD too, and everytime that he likes a new game, he wants to put whatever thing that game has on DNF.. and that's exacly what DNF became, a mess of gameplay parts influenced by everything (liked or not) influential on the fps marked on the last 12 years, instead of making a game of his own.. and that was the main reason the game took 12 years to be done, after so much work scrapping because the creative mastermind george broussard wanted everything possible from newest games to be included on DNF.

On the last years of DNF development, the fps scene become plagued by a COD-HALOish philosophy, that's why we got checkpoints, linear scrpited map design, 2 weapojn limit and health regen. DNF couldn't be more HALO, and thats sad. I hate halo!

Of course, that's just me, thats probably lots of people who enjoy this style of "gameplay variety" that DNF has, people have diferent tastes.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 14 July 2011 - 02:12 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't get this Halo/CoD thing. Those games are so popular almost solely because of MP. While single player is also good, the main attraction for most of their audience is MP. How can a FPS single player scene be plagued by a mp-centered games?

View PostHelel, on 14 July 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

I don't get this Halo/CoD thing. Those games are so popular almost solely because of MP. While single player is also good, the main attraction for most of their audience is MP. How can a FPS single player scene be plagued by a mp-centered games?

I'm guessing because it took the best of the mechanics from those games and tried to implement them in SP.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 14 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options