Duke4.net Forums: The wall - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The wall  "An interactive rock opera"

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello guys

I've been very happy with Pink Floyd's album The wall, so I couldn't resist to make a User map version of it. Yeah, that's right - this map is fully based on music album and the Movie "Pink Floyd The wall". I used a lot of new textures and con features, so you can expect something weird.

First off, remember: play this map only in polymost or software mode (Polymost mode is better, cuz it doesn't have sprite bugs etc) and never puch esc or save\load at the cutscenes or sounds may screw up.

The plot is slightly different from the album. The main hero is You. The map has three parts: "discovery", "memories" and "awakening". Part 1 and 2 is like a dream. Part 3 starts when you wake up and found out that you passed out because of drugs. The ending is a bit messy, but I just couldn't came up with something more logical.

Here's a Track list:

Spoiler

(Sorry, no Mother, Hey you, Comfortably Numb and The Trial.)

I hope I will not have problems with lawsuit and stuff.

Download link (v.1.01): http://www.mediafire...0iatgdxdmmvzgo9 (29 mb)

I added a EDuke 32 revision in the archive, just in case yours refuse to run the map.

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

If you would like to know, which of the map scenes inspirated by the movie The wall, here's some video clips from the film on youtube.

If you would like to know more about Album's story, read this article

Your comments will be the best reward for me. Tell me your opinions about the map & cutscenes.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 14 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

Played it.

It's definately something fresh. I couldn't get the storyline though. Some stuff you put there was really cool. Design and detailing is great. Really worth playing.

User is offline   Jblade 

Just finished it, excellent stuff - I hope you make more of these experimental story-style levels. That's not to say I dislike the more traditional things you've made, but stuff like this just doesn't really happen in Duke's modding scene, and it really could do with more things like it (I don't really mean just Pink Floydd, but more story-orientated projects) The projects you've made before have all been strong stuff that have tried new things and this project carries on that theme.

The cutscenes are amazing - I won't spoil them but they're much more dynamic than the ones I've made. I've listened to PF quite alot but nowhere near as much as other people like Highwire but I'm familiar with most of the songs feature in the project. They were all integrated damn well, my favourite being 'one of my turns' although the stage at the end was amazing as well. I just watched the video of "what shall we do now?" and your interpritation was incredible.

I'll talk about the ending:
Spoiler

Thanks guys :)

View PostJames, on 26 June 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

P.s posted this map in my blog

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Amazing map,cutscenes are excellent,music suits well!
The only thing I dislike is that monsters seems to be an excuse to make map longer

View PostMister Sinister, on 26 June 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

The only thing I dislike is that monsters seems to be an excuse to make map longer

I can't imagine this map without monsters. Monsters (especially pigs) is a dark-mind power, an enemy, which player should defeat through his way to the end.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Just finished it. Pretty good stuff, loved the use of cutscenes. I was absolutely OBSESSED with Floyd when I was younger (I'd even listen to the Division Bell...), so this was right up my alley. The level design left a bit to be desired at first, but it made a huge improvement between the school and the ending. If it's one gripe I have, it's the glowing pixels that weren't cleaned up for the map's new textures. Stuff like this...

Spoiler

View PostEmericaSkater, on 27 June 2011 - 06:55 AM, said:

It only takes a minute or two in editart to replace those glowing green pixels with another suitable color, and it makes a WORLD of difference in instances like these, as this building currently looks like it's been irradiated or something.
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I know. I used to clean a lot of textures like that. Thanks for noticing, gonna fix those

Updated the file. Cleaned some textures, fixed annoying bug and added some small details.

Hello?

Is there anybody out there?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i really messed my back up. i can only sit in front of the computer for a couple of minutes before i have to get out of the chair.

when i get well enough, this is at the top of my play list

not the feedback you want, but i'll get back to this when i can

User is offline   Hank 

I know that's not the feedback you'd expect, but, how do you play this?
Sample - There is an x-ray room, locked, I press on the code thingy, and get 000. Now I have an option of 999 number combinations. So I looked at the surroundings to find the code hidden somewhere. No luck. Then I tried all other doors, then ... posting here.

Art work A+, well, from what I seen so far. Posted Image
I finished it now. Art work and Cut Scenes still A+

This post has been edited by Hank: 29 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Shoot the button at the morgue room and then read paper on the table

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMister Sinister, on 28 June 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

Shoot the button at the morgue room and then read paper on the table

Thanks! Posted Image

I love this level. Another milestone from the Duke community. Wow. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Alright. Sucked up the pain and sat down for this.

Worth it. Thoroughly enjoyable. I haven't seen the movie in years and now I want to watch it again.
The cut scenes were cool, the game play was rather fun (my favorite was the "grab the guns real quick and start blasting" in the apartment). If I had any critique about the maps it would be weak shading and lack of trimming in some areas. The textures and art were nice. The areas were low leveled detailed, which fit well; any more would have been too much.
The last cut scene makes me think you have sour feelings towards some girl, but it was still funny.

User is offline   Loke 

This is quite a remarkable mod, truly something extraordinary. I enjoyed every second of it especially since I really appreciate these kind of unusual and original maps. The cut scenes were just flat out fantastic. Really, really good work.

View PostForge, on 29 June 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

If I had any critique about the maps it would be weak shading and lack of trimming in some areas.

Sadly, yeah, shading always been my weakness.
Thanks for quick review :)

p.s fixed one annoying shadow on the map, a little update, just in case

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 30 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

User is offline   Forge 

This is a project I'd be willing to write a review for over at DN-R. The challenge will be to be able to sit long enough to do it. It takes me just as long or longer to write a review as it does to play a map. I might give it a shot this weekend if I don't hurt myself and end up back in the hospital.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostForge, on 30 June 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

This is a project I'd be willing to write a review for over at DN-R. The challenge will be to be able to sit long enough to do it. It takes me just as long or longer to write a review as it does to play a map. I might give it a shot this weekend if I don't hurt myself and end up back in the hospital.

Can't you write it down on paper where you're comfortable and get somebody else to type it into the PC for you? You could still take a few moments to check it and submit it yourself afterwards. I'm sure Eddy wouldn't want you to fuck up your back more because of it.

Interesting message for non-Pink Floyd fans.

If you would like to know, which of the map scenes inspirated by the movie The wall, here's some video clips from the film on youtube.

Another brick in the wall part 2 (school scene)

Goodbye blue sky (Cemetery scene)

What shall we do now (Wall building cutscene)

One of my turns (hotel room scene)

In The Flesh, Run Like Hell, Waiting For The Worms (The ending)

If you would like to know more about Album's story, read this article

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 14 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJames, on 30 June 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Can't you write it down on paper where you're comfortable and get somebody else to type it into the PC for you? You could still take a few moments to check it and submit it yourself afterwards. I'm sure Eddy wouldn't want you to fuck up your back more because of it.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that I'd play the map again while taking notes and screen shots. I'm living alone right now (the family is in Washington getting our house ready (new floors, new paint, etc), and I'm here in Arizona going to school and packing up our stuff for it to be moved), so there's no one to do any typing for me.

I'll break it up into many sessions, but it might take me several days to get it done.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I recently finished this mini-mod, and liked much of it. First, the concept of making a mod with the main goal to tell a story (as opposed to, say, slaying hordes of enemies) is original and nicely put into action. The level design isn't the most complicated but it serves its purpose well and keeps a few surprises.
Spoiler
It's a bit of a shame that the music playback is interrupted (and restarted later!) when changing to the menu or even saving, it this deliberate or an EDuke32 issue with ogg playback? On the other hand, that probably keeps players from saving on every step, which might break the immersion.

Conclusion: recommended for originality!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelixhorned, on 04 July 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

It's a bit of a shame that the music playback is interrupted (and restarted later!) when changing to the menu or even saving, it this deliberate or an EDuke32 issue with ogg playback? On the other hand, that probably keeps players from saving on every step, which might break the immersion.

Yeah, this was a bit annoying, especially since I'm used to using F2 to save instead of the quicksave function.

User is offline   Jblade 

It's more that Duke stops any sound playing completely if you pause the game in someway, rather than pausing it and then resuming it. It does it to every sound format, not just OGG.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Oh. If that dynamic music is implemented using the sound system, then this makes sense.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I got home yesterday and finally got around to playing this. It was very enjoyable, even though I am not a Pink Floyd fan (I don't hate them, I'm just not a fan). The level design and cutscenes were excellent, so I don't have much to complain about. There are a few small bugs with the cutscenes. The hud should be restored when they end. If you don't want to save the player's hud size, then at least restore it to the largest size that shows the hud items. Second, the crosshair should be disabled during cutscenes (set RETURN to -1 in EVENT_DISPLAYCROSSHAIR).

The only thing that really bothered me was the speech at the end. The english was bad, but more importantly I didn't get the point. He was supposed to be a bad guy (I guess?) but I couldn't tell what he wanted. Was it a anti-sex rant? (he seemed to be against both heterosexuals and gays...)

User is offline   Hank 

@ DT - Neither – the scene depicts one of Pink Floyd's band members on a 'bad trip' (LSD, Heroin or other shit). While on stage, he saw his fans through the eyes of a Hitler, or a compatible racist. The album, The Wall, is not political at all, it's a story about one of the band members burning out.

Hope this helps a little.

This post has been edited by Hank: 10 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHank, on 10 July 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Neither – the scene depicts one of Pink Floyd's band members on a 'bad trip' (LSD, Heroin or other shit). While on stage, he saw his fans through the eyes of a Hitler, or a compatible racist. The album, The Wall, is not political at all, it's a story about one of the band members burning out.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it would have helped if I had seen the movie.

I didn't know that Hitler was against having girlfriends, though (maybe he was, I don't claim to be a Hitler expert).

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDeeperThought, on 10 July 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

I didn't know that Hitler was against having girlfriends, though (maybe he was, I don't claim to be a Hitler expert).

You know that is a good point. I just listened to the album, nothing there about girl friends. - So let's ask Eddy! Posted Image
(I never watched the movie, I'm a music nut case only)

added
here is a lengthy interpretation of the album and movie
http://www.thewallan...the-flesh2.html

This post has been edited by Hank: 10 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

View PostHank, on 10 July 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

So let's ask Eddy!

One time I was very disappointed in girls, so I added this part to vent my anger.

The main hero of the movie was disappointed in girls too, btw.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 10 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options