Duke4.net Forums: User Reviews - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

User Reviews

User is offline   ---- 

View Postozz, on 25 November 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's funny, if you go to the Gearbox forums it's the complete opposite, everyone is completely delusional and loves DNF.
They'll gang up on you if you badmouth the game, for some reason they want this turd to float.

What?

Currently it is pretty balanced when it comes to poeple liking or disliking the game.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View Postfuegerstef, on 26 November 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

What?

Currently it is pretty balanced when it comes to poeple liking or disliking the game.

Take a look at this for thread example
http://forums.gearbo...ad.php?t=125243

What im saying is that the majority of people on this site dislike DNF, where as at Gearbox forums its more the opposite.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postozz, on 26 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

Take a look at this for thread example
http://forums.gearbo...ad.php?t=125243

What im saying is that the majority of people on this site dislike DNF, where as at Gearbox forums its more the opposite.

And I said it is about 50/50.

And now I even add: with more negative threads recently.

User is offline   Jinroh 

After getting it day one, I finally beat it this past weekend along with the DLC. xD

The reason it took me so long is that I needed a new PC. Which I finally got in late fall. I had a POS laptop that overheated like crazy and took like literally 20-40 mins to load one section. So because of this, I only played like 1 or 2 hours on that machine.

Once I got a new PC and could max the game out things were good. I knew the game wasn't going to live up to my 2001 trailer dreams. xD Though I still went in gung-ho because well, it's Duke. xD

I enjoyed it, though it took a bit getting used to ducking behind cover with the Ego-health regen and the two weapon limit, but I adapted. The graphics were glitchy at times which annoyed me especially if I turn really quickly and see the level loading and catching up with me. >_> Lame. Still I ignored this as it was Duke.

Even though the game is linear, I enjoyed it as it was well done in my pinon. Each section served its purpose and didn't feel really overly scripted. I mean there were some things that I didn't really like, like being in the shipping container thing while the guy with the crane swings you around. It was interesting at least though if not a bit restrictive for being Duke. I did enjoy that there were normal NPCs in the game that needed Duke to help them every now and again. Like the lady you save in the Duke Burger. It gives Duke a more heroic aspect than just going through the levels and kill kill kill. Though IIRC most of the people you save end up dying anyway.

The weapons were cool, though I did think the new Ripper was only so-so. I did like the new Freeze thrower though, it was always one of my favorite weapons in Duke 3D along with the Shrinker. Though I'm kinda annoyed that you can't leave bloody footprints in DNF. We have some great FBA first person animations, and we can't leave bloody decals on the floor? Very odd. Oh well, minor concern.

Overall I thought the game was enjoyable though not the DNF I would have preferred to have. It's the Duke though and playing Duke always makes me happy. xD I did enjoy the DLC a bit more than the main game, but I won't go into any details just in case someone hasn't played it yet.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 26 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'll add my two cents in here. I LOVED Duke Nukem 3D, THE greatest game ever made. That said I absolutely HATED Duke Nukem Forever. I played the game for 45 minutes before I got bored and said "the hell with this".. 45 minutes in and I STILL hadn't picked up a freakin' gun! In a DUKE NUKEM game!!!! I shouldn't be using Melee attacks for more than the first minute (tops) of any Duke Nukem game... I should get a gun within the first 30 seconds and start blasting away. And what's with all the stupid cut scenes? I want to jetpack around and blow holes through cracks in walls with RPGs, not have conversations with game characters and draw on dry erase baords. Maybe DNF is better on consoles, but the keyboard/mouse controls on a PC are absolutely horrendous, nowhere near as intuitive as Duke3D was. Even if this lame sequel came out say ONE year after Duke3D was released I'd still be disappointed. Why? Because they took everything that was fun in Duke3D and completely removed all those elements when making DNF. I'm much more interested to see what "Duke Nukem Reloaded" is gonna be like. In the mean time DukePlus + HRP runs circles around DNF .. At least with DukePlus I actually get to SHOOT THINGS and BLOW STUFF UP!!! DNF is a disappointment not worthy of bearing the "Duke Nukem" name.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostGreatSudoku, on 03 February 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Maybe DNF is better on consoles

Nope, from what I heard, not only the controls, but the loading times and graphics aren't that good either on both consoles. The consoles were quite literally an afterthought, the porting started after the content was finished.

Because they took everything that was fun in Duke3D and completely removed all those elements when making DNF.

Yes! 99% True, and a huge bummer. A sequel is supposed to build off the previous game's mechanics not replace them!

I'm much more interested to see what "Duke Nukem Reloaded" is gonna be like.

You do realize that Duke Nukem Reloaded was abandoned a while ago and in fact never had any real chance of being released?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostMicky C, on 03 February 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

You do realize that Duke Nukem Reloaded was abandoned a while ago and in fact never had any real chance of being released?

Ugh no, I actually just heard about Duke Nukem Reloaded a few days ago. Perhaps joining this forum will keep me more up-to-date on the goings on in the Duke Community. Bummed out to hear that it was abandoned.

In the mean time back to DukePlus + HRP. It's just inconceivable reading earlier posts in this thread where a member talks about needing to play DNF for **5 HOURS** before getting to the type of shoot-em-up action Duke3D provided right after the initial load screen goes away. I gave up on DNF in under an hour. If that doesn't tell you there's something seriously wrong with the gameplay ... Kind of glad I DID give up; reading about the "two weapon limit", I know I would have really pissed off... After having to play for 5 hours to finally GET a gun, only to find out I can only carry 2 at a time,and the ammo is severely limited? I'm very glad I didn't invest any significant time into playing DNF.

User is offline   Martin 

Basically, some faggot guy called 'fresch' started whipping up a huge stink about a remake of Duke 3D called Duke Reloaded. Many were suckered-in with his lavishly-done rooftop from the beginning of Hollywood Holocaust, of which he posted a few pics and a video. He managed (somehow!?) to pull together a team of gullible artists and whatnot, whilst nobody but him actually programmed anything. Some deal with Gearbox apparently happened, before or after the team coming together ('before' would explain his ability to get a team together). Inevitably, the project got nowhere and died. Thus, the whole Duke Nukem comedy keeps on going.

At one point I really thought Reloaded was going to be THE Duke game all of us wanted. Instead, we just get broken promises from a faggy, emo, Euro guy this time instead of the fatass, lazy WoW players that was 3D Realms.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 04 February 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

At one point I really thought Reloaded was going to be THE Duke game all of us wanted. Instead, we just get broken promises from a faggy, emo, Euro guy.

Well, he did fail 3 times before reloaded, so it was kinda obvious. I would of liked it to be "THE DUKE GAME" all of us wanted too, but from the beginning he had already chose some bad design choices.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

He probably still lurks the forums. I remember him getting into some heated arguments with a few of the members. I've never seen anyone's rep get that low (except maybe Blackharted).

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 04 February 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Well, he did fail 3 times before reloaded, so it was kinda obvious. I would of liked it to be "THE DUKE GAME" all of us wanted too, but from the beginning he had already chose some bad design choices.

They never gave us the strippers Reaperman :D

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostLunick, on 04 February 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

They never gave us the strippers Reaperman :D

Your right! Now i'm angry :D

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I should have posted my thoughts here sooner but what the hell lol

I've had plenty of time to play through the game since its release, after updates and the DLC, I even got to play around with the Cheats patch before GBX fucked it up, overall I thought the game was just fine I had loads of fun with fighting the good ol Pig cops, Assault Troopers, Battlelords and Cycloid etc, I liked that the game didnt focus all on shooting endlessly but instead added some driving parts and a lot of interactivity (Strip Club and Burning Bush).

Duke Nukem Forever was not the best game I have ever played, not by a long shot, but I still had a lot of fun with it and I look forward to the sequel.

The Good:
-Duke himself
-Loved the old school boss battles
-Liked the Driving Parts
-Good Challenge
-Loads of interactivity
-Jon St John behind the mic
-Loads of fun in the DLC
-Fun Weapons
-Lots of pop cult references

The Bad:
-Linear gameplay
-Bad framerate
-No Secrets
-Not enough enemies at times
-Checkpoint saves
-Turret Sections

The Ugly:
-No Mod Tools and Level Creator
-Good Cheats Disabled
-Limited Weapons
-Regen health
-NPC Voice Acting (Except Graves)
-Long Load Times
-Explosive/Turret only Boss fights

My score on the game would be a 7 out of 10
To this day I still play this game because I have had way more fun with DNF than I have ever had with any FPS that's been released in this generation.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I agree with pretty much everything on that list, except for some of the combat related things. The regenerating health, two weapon limit, and the limited ammo capacity ruined the combat for me.

Also I didn't find the boss battles old school at all. It was merely grab the ammo from the crate, fire it at the boss, go back to the ammo crate, fire ammo at the boss etc.. It was a tedious cycle. Not to mention in many cases it was the enemies that shot at you while you were fighting the boss rather than the boss itself that was the main threat (Queen, Octaking).

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostMicky C, on 17 April 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

I agree with pretty much everything on that list, except for some of the combat related things. The regenerating health, two weapon limit, and the limited ammo capacity ruined the combat for me.

Also I didn't find the boss battles old school at all. It was merely grab the ammo from the crate, fire it at the boss, go back to the ammo crate, fire ammo at the boss etc.. It was a tedious cycle. Not to mention in many cases it was the enemies that shot at you while you were fighting the boss rather than the boss itself that was the main threat (Queen, Octaking).

Yeah, the boss fights were a bit simplistic. Although, most games that have boss battles are either rely on constant firing and restocking on ammo, or they use the old 'Shoot me here!' weakspot idea. I can't think of any recent examples that had really well-designed boss battles, but I'm sure there's a way to improve on them as not many games treat boss battles with the same respect they had years ago.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostEngel220, on 17 April 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

Yeah, the boss fights were a bit simplistic. Although, most games that have boss battles are either rely on constant firing and restocking on ammo, or they use the old 'Shoot me here!' weakspot idea. I can't think of any recent examples that had really well-designed boss battles, but I'm sure there's a way to improve on them as not many games treat boss battles with the same respect they had years ago.

Because years ago most fps games had very intricate boss battles? I don't remember Duke3d treating boss battles much different than "constant firing and restocking ammo". And I'm not saying they weren't good in that respect. DNF's problem was low weapon/ammo limit which made battles tedious since you needed to restock after 5 shots of RPG.

I thought the boss battles in DNF were great. Not simplistic at all. It was annoying that i couldn't kill a boss with a shotgun. The battle were a bit too scripted. And i would like to be able to kill a boss without having a ammo box magically appear next to me.

Remember the days in Duke 3D where you could take a boss out by using the jet pack and spam the Devastator? Miss those days. Good times. Probably would've made DNF better.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBurnett, on 17 April 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Because years ago most fps games had very intricate boss battles? I don't remember Duke3d treating boss battles much different than "constant firing and restocking ammo". And I'm not saying they weren't good in that respect. DNF's problem was low weapon/ammo limit which made battles tedious since you needed to restock after 5 shots of RPG.

I think there was a bit better presentation with the boss battles of old. They'd get entire sections of a level built around raising the tension as you approached their lair and things like that.

The boss battles in DNF were all very limited, which sapped some of the balls out of the experience. Not being able to unload your full arsenal on them just made the bosses kinda weak.

The first boss battle was pretty much the same as in 3D. How does that boss battle have more tension? I don't think that was the problem.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 18 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postrasmus thorup, on 18 April 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

The first boss battle was pretty much the same as in 3D. How does that boss battle have more tension? I don't think that was the problem.

...But it wasn't. In terms of play, the Emperor is a far slower opponent, and there's a long section of map before that, which is essentially just running down one path filled with scripted events. It slows you down, limits what you can do, and the encounter with the boss itself is limited to you using one weapon, and not having to worry about taking any damage from anything.

User is offline   Kathy 

[not a user review, sorry]

This post has been edited by Burnett: 01 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   Hank 

[deleted also]
The topic is user reviews, not paid critic review. He gets paid for uttering his opinion. The next guy posting paid-fuck-heads here gets a red.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Oops... you're right. Haven't noticed it.

I agree to the extent that he shortcomings of this game are George Broussard's fault.

I am grateful to Gearbox and the Triptych team, along with the old 3DR ex-employees, for the work they did to get this game out the door, but it could have been so much more if George Broussard hadn't been an asshole and didn't keep telling his employees to redo everything over and over again.

Thats what happens when you dont answer to anyone but yourself : ).

I still haven't even gotten close to beating the game, I got really bored of it after the titty boss.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 11 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

User is offline   Alithinos 

The hardest thing is to judge this game without having in mind its history,and the history of the series.
How would we feel about this game if we never had played Duke Nukem 3D before ?

Well... Here goes my review:

The game feels rushed,and it is rushed,as the development of the final version that we got to play started in 2007,and only 15 people worked on it which is a rather small nubmer for a 3D game.
The production of the game was halted in 2009 though,when 3D Realms closed,but then a few people of them (fewer than the people that work on popular 2D games) kept working on the game on their free hours.
It might have taken 4 years for this last version to be developed,but assuming that the number of people that where working on the game where way fewer than the number the average games studio has,it equals to work of less time in comparison to other studios,as the more people you have working,the more results you get on a specific time limit. Which means that 4 years of 3d Realms/Triptych development equals to about less than 1 year of development for large studios like Team Bondi or Bethesda.
Having 8 to 15 people max working for 4 years,is different than having 60 to 100 people working for 4 years,and will produce different results.

So let's check the game. It surely wasn't what people thought it would be. Some people had the wrong idea that this single game was worked on for like 12 years,which is wrong. The truth is that for 12 years 3D Realms attempted to make from point zero 4 different games,and failed on all of them.
Each time they started with a new engine,and they had to build new assets,design new levels and story,and new gameplay mechanics. The reason they could never finish one of their games ? Because their team was so small by the time they would had a game finished its graphics engine would be slightly old to feature new graphics features. It was like a chase of a moving target. They always wanted their game's graphics to have a "wow factor",and they where so stubborn to scrap years of work just because a few months before the time their game was to be released,a new game would come out that would have a feature X that their own engine didn't had. So it was something like that:

After 4 years of developing a game,making 3d models of everything,designing the levels,the gameplay and the story,7 months before the game's release and only with voice overs and testing having left,a new game comes out that runs on a newer engine that has a new lighting system and developers say "Hey,we need that new feature for our game! Scrap 4 years of work and lets start working on the new engine to have slightly better shadows!"

Of course Captain Obvious wasn't there to tell them that if they take so long to make a game,there will always be new engines before them having completed the game they were making. And of course I believe nobody would have a problem to play a game just because it doesn't feature the latest graphics feature invented. We wouldn't have a problem if a game came out in 2011 and didn't featured Tesselation,or if a game came out in 2007 and didn't featured ambient occlusion,or if a game came out in 2001 and didn't featured dx9 dynamic shadows,would we ?

But anyway,we still got a game that was developed by a handful of people in 4 years. 4 years are still enough for a competent studio to make a great game,but still there where problems.
And I'm not talking about low resolution texture quality or things like that. I'm talking about deeper problems. I'm not even talking about the new school gameplay that the game featured instead of the old school gameplay.
Even if we where to judge DNF as a modern new school game,it still has some flaws.
One of this flaws is that level design along with gameplay design doesn't fit or work that well. Playing DNF it is clear to me that different people of its development team thought they were working on a different game,like there were absolutely no communication between level designers,gameplay designer,and the rest of the team with each other.
I come up to that conclusion because of fatal design flaws that I faced. In one level while I was walking a path the screen turned black and I exited the level carrying two guns. Then the next level loaded up and I carried the same 2 guns. But walking a few meters in the next level,I faced a room full of enemies that I needed a different gun to kill them all and progress. You see,the game was designed so each gun is more appropriate for each kind of enemy. An interesting idea of the gameplay designer,who thought that if we had to think about which gun we should use to which enemy is something nice,a true old-school design philosophy. The problem was though that the level designer probably wasn't informed for that,and as such the problem erupted: The gun that I needed to pass through these enemies was nowhere around. Perhaps the level designer thought that I would have carried it from the last level,and perhaps he thought that I could carry with me all the weapons I could find,but he probably didn't knew that the gameplay designer decided to not allow me to carry more than 2 guns! So after dying some deaths and searching the rest of the playable area inch by inch for some times,I decided that what I had to do was quit the game and restart the past level that I already had completed,so I would now exit it with the appropriate guns for the next level!
Gameplay and level design is inconsistent.

But the problem isn't only that the weapon carriage limitation broke the game. There are more inconsistencies between gameplay and level design. Gameplay was designed so its a cover-based shooter,a typical game with regenerating health,in which you have to hide behind things and walls to stay alive. But for some levels the level designers forgot to... add cover points. Leading to unfair player's deaths,and frustration. Another symptom of the gameplay designers thinking they are making a Call of Duty clone while the level designers think they are making a Doom clone.

Another example was a pretty weird WTF moment I had,where I shot some wooden boxes up on which other wooden boxes where standing,and the upper boxes stayed in the place they were,now floating above thin air. Once more it seems there were no coordination and communication between the members of the development team. The level designer created a nice scene where boxes are piled one above the other in a hangar,and then the guy responsible for the physics told him that he decided that boxes from now and on would break if the player shoots at them.But perhaps he forgot to tell the level designer that the physics system was only supposed to provide boxes explosion physics,and not gravity physics,so the game ended up so when you shoot the lower boxes on a pile of boxes,the upper boxes hover in the air.

And that was my biggest problem and frustration with the game. I didn't cared about the game not having the latest graphics technology.While good graphics are nice,they don't break a game if they aren't top notch,I still play Mario Bros and have fun sometimes. I could forgive the game for not having health packs.I played Wolfenstein without healthpacks and had nice time with it,even if a would prefer a healthpack system. I would even don't care if I could only carry 2 weapons at a time.If there was any thought put behind this decisions and the developers had made sure that the game will always provide the player with the appropriate weapon for the danger he will face,I would be OK with that. And I would be disappointed if I learnt that the game wouldn't have secret areas,but not that much to not buy and not like the game. I could even pretend I don't care for a shit ending.I played and respect Mass Effect 3,even if its ending ruined the series for me. But what really frustrated me was that the game was a broken mess because gameplay decisions,engine decisions, and level design doesn't match,they don't fit,they don't hang along together,they are like they where parts for different games and somehow someone taped them in a single game.

It's like the game was was created with each person developing the game on a different building,on a different country,perhaps without ways of communication with the other team members.
Design inconsistency is the fatal flaw of Duke Nukem Forever.
It's not its graphics,its humor,its sound,or the features it misses from Duke Nukem 3D.
Clearly 3D Realms had huge problems problems of coordination,organization,consistency,and communication between its team members.

My hope is that Gearbox is a healthy studio that at least knows how to make the people working on its studio to know that they work on the same game all of them.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 08 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think the biggest problem with the game was how they largely separated the interactive side stuff into their own mandatory levels instead of integrating them into the action. In Duke 3D, the little extras were just side line additions that made the environments more lively. DNF's splitting them into their own levels made those levels seem tedious and boring while the combat levels felt more isolated and dead since they weren't so interactive.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 06 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Duke Nukem Forever for me was the best single-player FPS campaign since Half-Life 2 hit in 2004, and the multiplayer is fun stuff as well. Not a popular opinion, and I respect all the criticisms people have, I just happen to love the game.

Starting with a brief fun playing of the final boss fight from Duke Nukem 3D, then we have Duke having fun being the celebrity hero he is, in the Half-Life inspired non-combat opening segment of the game. This section features great humor, of course awesome irreverent voice acting from Jon St. John. Then of course, those alien bastards invade and the campaign begins.

For whatever reason, many FPS campaigns have come up short in recent years, shying away from any jumping or platforming, just running in a straight line across a very linear level, and often lacking any creativity or fun. Here, Duke Nukem Forever is a breath of fresh air for me. Duke shoots his way though diverse environments in what really feels like a great adventure. The levels are creative, featuring oddly enough entertaining puzzles and some platforming to liven up the shooting. Plus, it's all done with a great sense of humor (I know not many agree here but it's so good in my book). It is linear, as all FPS campaigns are these days, but in the Half-Life 2 style, rather than the CoD style I'd say. And oddly enough just the amount of jumping in DNF makes me happy compared to other FPS games.

The gameplay itself is massively satisfying. The gunplay is superb, reminds me a bit of the meaty feel of Doom 3's combat, and the arsenal is great as ever, with freeze guns, shrink rays, and all sorts of ways to explode those alien bastards. Personally, I love that you have a zoom button keeping the crosshair instead of the now popular iron sights view. And in the PC version, carrying four guns instead of two really helps.

As for the multiplayer, very fun, it stands out as fun stuff compared to the "level up XP fest" CoD silliness that FPS multiplayer has become.

Everyone has different taste, and for various valid reasons this game was not all that well received by many, although some gave it positive reviews like PC Gamer. It's a great game to me. You can tell it was made by a smaller team especially in the later years, and it does have some rough-around-the-edges aspects. But to me it's the most creative fun FPS campaign in a decade.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 18 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

So I take it you haven't played any FPS since HL2?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options