Duke4.net Forums: Now installing Duke Nukem Forever! Holy shit! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now installing Duke Nukem Forever! Holy shit!

View PostMartin, on 08 April 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

And they're right, who at this point would even give a fuck if the four weapon patch came to console? I got rid of my copy of DNF a month or two after launch. Does anyone even still play it? The multiplayer servers on PS3 emptied after a couple of weeks.

Believe it or not, the Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC is pretty damn good and you could tell they actually took their time with that one. It's much better than the original DNF campaign (hell when I have down time, I find myself playing it more than I should). Plus, there are still many players in the MP section of the game...at least on 360. It's also the best part of the game. I like DNF for its mindless popcorn entertainment. It's funny as hell when you're drunk. Well, the MP is at least.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 09 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postthelegend4ever, on 09 April 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Believe it or not, the Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC is pretty damn good and you could tell they actually took their time with that one. It's much better than the original DNF campaign (hell when I have down time, I find myself playing it more than I should). Plus, there are still many players in the MP section of the game...at least on 360. It's also the best part of the game. I like DNF for its mindless popcorn entertainment. It's funny as hell when you're drunk. Well, the MP is at least.

The Doctor Who Cloned me features the exact same gameplay as the orignal game. WHAT exactly are people seeing that is so different? Instead of a truck, you drive a moon buggy. Instead of an RC car you drive a holsome twins barbie car. It's the same shit with a slightly different coat of paint. Proton isn't even utlised well within the story.

Because the level design, despite it still being linear, you can tell Allen Blum did the best he could with the dated engine. Much better than the original DNF. It def has the Duke 3D feel. People complained about the original campaign pretty much taking place during the day the whole time and there were no space stages. Well, now, the stages take place during day and night (mostly night), and there is in fact a space section in the game. The actual gun play/action is also much better than the original DNF's (I'm not saying control wise), since pretty much all you're doing is shooting and blowing shit up....as opposed to the original SP..which was few and far between. To me, it was more in the vein of the hardcore shooting that was in 3D. Just not as many enemies on the screen at once. Duke also reverted back to his old 3D personality instead of his stupid ass college frat boy persona from the original game. I'm aware it brought back the vehicle mechanics. I never liked them and thought they controlled like shit...and this is no different. I'm not saying this DLC is super amazing. But it is much better than the original vanilla campaign. Overall, I'd say it's pretty damn good compared to what we first had.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 09 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Well I wouldn't know, I got rid of DNF before any of the DLC came out. Won't be buying it again to try them.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The humour and tone in the Doctor Who Cloned me was a lot better. Also, on the first playthough the DLC was more enjoyable than the original game, probably because it didn't have so much lame filler left in to increase the length of the campaign. But I attempted a second playthrough, and the level design is so incredibly linear, and the fights are so few and far between (not that the fights themselves were all that fantastic), that I just became frustrated and gave up. No Duke game should cause that to happen, and should not make you spend 3 quarters of the time wandering down a bland corridor wishing you were doing something else.

The drones and clones were kinda fun to fight, and the fight at the teleporter was pretty fun how it was set up, but other than that and the bosses, the rest of the fights were the same old tedious broken battles from the original game. And when fighting is boring, and when not fighting is boring, that doesn't really leave a great deal which isn't boring...

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 09 April 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

What news item? Can you point me in the right direction? I want to read it too.

http://www.duke4.net...omment.news.562

View PostMartin, on 08 April 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

And they're right, who at this point would even give a fuck if the four weapon patch came to console? I got rid of my copy of DNF a month or two after launch. Does anyone even still play it? The multiplayer servers on PS3 emptied after a couple of weeks.

I still do play it from time to time and i do enjoy it.
I think the reviews aren't fair, it is a dissapointment yes, but in my opinion it is one of the most enjoyable shooters of 2011.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

TDWCM definitely was better. It was more fun, challenging (well, more challenging), and funny. It's still DNF and a lot of the same criticism applies, but it's definitely better by some degree than the original campaign. Totally.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostRory, on 12 May 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

TDWCM was a 10000x better, I know it's not the game to beat all games, but it included a lot of the things I expected to be in DNF, and it's humor was sooooo much better.

It was also more fun, and gave a glimpse of the epicness, I'd expected since the 2001 trailer.

The question is: Why did it have to be DLC? If it's clearly that much better, why not delay the game just a bit more and include it in the original game? As DLC, it's not going to receive the boatload of attention that the original game did, so what might have been a major improvement is most likely going to go unrecognized.

In fact, it has gone unrecognized. Duke Nukem Forever is the joke of the decade. People just aren't talking about it anymore in gaming circles.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 25 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAchenar, on 25 May 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

If it's clearly that much better, why not delay the game just a bit more and include it in the original game?

Most likely it was better because they've listened to critique of the original.

User is offline   Ronin 

I find it kind of weird how most of the big game review sites didn't even bother reviewing the DNF expansion, yet an expansion that lasts an hour like a Gears of War 3 add-on gets devotion from the like of IGN. I always felt that TDWCM gave Duke back some pride and seriousness, but I guess people had their minds made up already. The few who did review it gave mostly positive feedback.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 25 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The question is: Why did it have to be DLC? If it's clearly that much better, why not delay the game just a bit more and include it in the original game?

Because it'd have been a clearly separate story within a larger game and would have easily brought the score down even further. More is not better even if the "more" part consists of material that is better, by itself, than the rest. It'd only make the "rest" look worse and the game would be called out for "tedious length" and having an even more ludicrous storyline - the moon part felt forced already in TDWCM and the original game was already called out for the sudden jump to the desert/dam section after Duke Burger.

View PostRipemanewone, on 25 May 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I find it kind of weird how most of the big game review sites didn't even bother reviewing the DNF expansion, yet an expansion that lasts an hour like a Gears of War 3 add-on get devotion. I always felt that TDWCM gave Duke back some pride and seriousness, but I guess people had their minds made up already. The few who did review it gave mostly positive feedback.

Too late to repair the damage maybe?

Btw, the leading Finnish gaming magazine "Pelit" liked the DLC too and gave it a 80/100 rating.

User is offline   Ronin 

I seem to remember some PR disaster that happened too that would not have helped. One of the 2K PR guys freaking out about the bad press the game was getting, so maybe there was some petty politics involved.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The question is: Why did it have to be DLC? If it's clearly that much better, why not delay the game just a bit more and include it in the original game? As DLC, it's not going to receive the boatload of attention that the original game did, so what might have been a major improvement is most likely going to go unrecognized.

In fact, it has gone unrecognized. Duke Nukem Forever is the joke of the decade. People just aren't talking about it anymore in gaming circles.

A big part of it would be money. The game was very expensive when it first came out, and charging an extra $10 for some DLC just means that they're raking it in. As for Mikko's argument about not having more because it adds to the tedious length, ridiculous story line, and makes the other parts of the game look even worse, I agree. But they should have then cut out the worst parts of the game and included this instead. Given how bad and bare bones the writing for the game actually is, it shouldn't be too hard to do some minor rewrites to fit the DLC in where something else to be without making it look any worse.

Of course, if money really was a reason (which it most definitely was, even if it wasn't the biggest), then Gearbox pretty much shot themselves in the foot. Because for the vast majority of young gamers, DNF was the first experience they had of Duke, and if they had been blown away, they would have secured themselves a large fanbase which would have bought all their future Duke games, now they have the opposite, young players who will never touch a Duke game with a 10 foot pole. Now all their fanbase consists of whacko suck-ups which deny all the bad points of the game (which is different to people who like the game while acknowledging its faults) and an at-best lukewarm response from the true fans.

User is offline   Kathy 

I wonder how much of a mess game was before GBX. I mean could it have been saved? Plus GBX wasn't really keen on changing much in it. But then again it is GBX property and given the quality they should have cancelled it or take more time to make it right. Making console ports also didn't help.

Oh, and I wonder if they conducted test sessions. That would help I think.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

There's a snowball's chance in hell that the game would have fared better with the DLC. It'd have only made the game more of a mess.

And no, it never "should" have been included. They excluded it for a reason. It's a separate story. It's got hardly anything to do with DNF's plot. It's a diversion which is exactly why it's a perfect DLC (except for a flawed game).

It's a good thing that people listen to professional reviewers. They're there to help people with limited time and resources to make good purchases.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 27 May 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

It's a good thing that people listen to professional reviewers. They're there to help people with limited time and resources to make good purchases.

They still review the game subjectively, professional or not.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Talking about whether or not the DLC content should have been included with the game itself is a pretty worthless discussion because the content in question didn't exist at the time of the game's release. It was made based directly on ideas and plans that were present in the leaked design documents, but the content itself did not exist.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostRory, on 28 May 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

I could've sworn George B confirmed on Twitter that the DLC was just cut levels from the game, cut so, in their words so that they had a chance to actually finish it or something, so if that is true, the DLC isn't made from the ground up based on old ideas, but was genuinely content cut from the game.

They took content from the game that was unfinished, wrote a new storyline around it, and finished it off/added to it.

So it's a half breed. It's not really something that was on the disc that they just forced people to pay extra to gain access to or anything.

User is offline   Kathy 

And it was released almost half a year later. It's not really greedy-like dlc like cutting levels right before the release.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Everything you need to know is here: http://duke4.net/news.php?extend.567

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options