Duke4.net Forums: Now installing Duke Nukem Forever! Holy shit! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now installing Duke Nukem Forever! Holy shit!

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 03 April 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Just let it be known, there was never going to be an "amazing" DNF, once they pretty much scrapped what was in the 2001 trailer.

I would go as far as to say that once they moved to Unreal Tech DNF was kind of doomed. It was a fairly dumb decision. You can't really defend it when they thought converting everything from id Tech to Unreal would take 4 months 6 weeks.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 03 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Gearbox didn't have to lump all their post processing effects into one option, so that the game looks bad whether you have it enabled or disabled (for different reasons of course.) And for some of the textures and models they must have had higher resolution/higher poly versions lying around, yet chose to reduce the quality. I remember seeing a picture of some troopers and their textures looked very high res, yet obviously in the final game they're pixellated.

You mean how they used to look like this?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: main.jpg

• Honored Donor

Nah it was a picture of 3 of them in what I'm guessing is a modelling program. I'm aware that models always look better in modelling programs due to the more advanced lighting and shading etc, but I don't think texture quality is one of those things.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think DNF looks bad. I expected to not be entirely up to date. And I could care less. It looks great to me. It's the gameplay that I was disappointed with, which I could never have imagined what it would be like without playing it.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 03 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Looking back now, it's quite odd seeing peoples reactions to the game. On the "Expectations thread" over at the Gearbox Forums, people who hated the game said such thing's as "This game is going to be amazing", later when it is out those same people say "This is terrible".

You just can't please everyone these days. It's funny in a way that the DNF we have today is the same game from back in the 2008 Footage leak, even then the haters said "It looks amazing". Hey, even when the 2009 footage was leaked people still seemed to like it. But as soon as they laid there fingers onto their keyboards and played it for them selves, the forums lit up like a forest fire.

-Wheatley

"looks can be deceiving."

The bread and butter of Duke3D was the interactivity and the shooting. Duke Forever failed hard on both.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y5Yngipvz6M

User is offline   thatguy 

Thanks for that share. A VERY accurate Duke Fan opinion. :) Very enjoyable watch.

User is offline   Kathy 

Interesting video. But when I first played I liked it quite a bit. Should try replaying it.

One thing bothered me about this video is that the guy didn't like glowing things but at the same time complained about not knowing what to do(or where to go) when things weren't glowing.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBurnett, on 07 April 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

Interesting video. But when I first played I liked it quite a bit. Should try replaying it.

One thing bothered me about this video is that the guy didn't like glowing things but at the same time complained about not knowing what to do(or where to go) when things weren't glowing.

He never complained about not knowing where to go. He complained that it wasn't interesting and that it was really damn linear.

User is offline   Kathy 

He didn't outright say it, but his displeasure about not knowing where to go(car sequence) was followed by a harsh critique of the game.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 07 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostBurnett, on 07 April 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

He didn't outright say it, but his displeasure about not knowing where to go(car sequence) was followed by a harsh critique of the game.

It just mean the game is a mess. Absolutely horrible game design. It lost all the fun that DN3d offered through level design.

User is offline   Kathy 

It did. Pace is the mess in the beginning. Slow first levels, then turret sequence followed by a car sequence? That's not good. Though I'm not against slow first levels. For what it's worth 'demo' level should have been longer.

User is offline   trustn0! 

I remember that TB video

I agree on his points even if the guy is a total scrub
But then again anyone with half a brain cell can tell you these things

The whole game is meshed up design which isnt surprising knowing the game in question
But heres a few more things we need to think about

Why were these design choices included?
Why the FUCK did Broussard think that designing the game around a 2 weapon limit and a regenerating health be acceptable?
Why is there such great an emphasis on the half life style of progression with too many physics puzzles and not enough actual,or even clever, enemy encounters?
Why the lackluster color palette and toned down soundtrack?

These and many other criticisms are the things we need to HAMMER into Gearboxes head.
They have our feedback on all these things

Now we just have to wait and see if they learn from it

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posttrustn0!, on 07 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Why the FUCK did Broussard think that designing the game around a 2 weapon limit and a regenerating health be acceptable?

Because he knocked into his head false notion that console controls weren't suitable for more weapons.

User is offline   Martin 

Yeah, it was Halo that went with two guns first, and everybody else seemed to follow suit? It works well for Halo, and I have no problem with it there. I also have no problem with it in COD, where there's supposed to be some semblance of realism in there. You carry a primary and a sidearm as a soldier. Still, there were many console shooters which offer multiple firearms at once. Sure scrolling through them was never as good as hotkeys, but then there's also other stuff which isn't as good as PC. I don't see why every console shooter now has to have two weapons only, let-alone PC. Perfect Dark XBLA offers an elegant solution - the weapon wheel. I remember it in Turok on the N64, as well.

User is offline   Kathy 

And in COD it doesn't even matter much since you don't have a sequencial levels. DNF's 2-weapon limit on the other hand felt like some lazy design and, yeah, just following the suit with no other reason. The other dumb thing is number of ammo weapon can hold. Boss battles in that sense were a disaster.

It's like they were making bad design choices on purpose.

If you're a PC gamer, consider yourself lucky, seeing how they did update the game to an 4 weapon limit. As for console owners, such as myself, we're fucked. Which doesn't seem fair and further shows proof that the console ports were just an straight afterthought.

The game plays fine without 4 weapons.

I understand 2 weapon limits, especially its place in SOME first person shooters. It is realism and it brings tactics to some games. DNF just isn't that one game. It isn't suppose to be totally realistic! <_< I kinda wished there was a DN3D inv bar at the bottom of the screen in DNF.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 08 April 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

If you're a PC gamer, consider yourself lucky, seeing how they did update the game to an 4 weapon limit. As for console owners, such as myself, we're fucked.

I can't remember but isn't weapon swapping on PC just cycles through every weapon until you find the right one? Because if it is then why not have the same on console is beyond me. Though, I might be wrong and you can have hotkeys for each weapon.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 08 April 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

The game plays fine without 4 weapons.

Of course it does because the game is built around the 2 weapon limit

But why did they do this?
This is Duke FUCKING Nukem

Star of the best FPS ever made

Its just out of place

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 08 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostBurnett, on 08 April 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

I can't remember but isn't weapon swapping on PC just cycles through every weapon until you find the right one? Because if it is then why not have the same on console is beyond me. Though, I might be wrong and you can have hotkeys for each weapon.

Ya know, I don't really know since I've never played DNF on PC. But either way, I know the consoles are more than capable of doing the 4 weapon limit as well. Again, GBX fucks over the fans.

View Postthelegend4ever, on 08 April 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Ya know, I don't really know since I've never played DNF on PC. But either way, I know the consoles are more than capable of doing the 4 weapon limit as well. Again, GBX fucks over the fans.

Actually its not
The 4 weapon increase isnt properly tailored to the games mechanics(the 2 extra weapons arent selectable via any other means other than using your mouse wheel)
Piranha games did the abysmal ports of the game and seeing how fucked up the games mechanic infrastructures are even on the PC im surprised the game doesnt crash let alone be playable to any degree on the consoles

How narrow minded is it say that if they actually could find a way implement the weapon increase onto the consoles they wouldnt?

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 08 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posttrustn0!, on 08 April 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

How narrow minded is it say that if they actually could find a way implement the weapon increase onto the consoles they wouldnt?

Because making patches to other platforms involve more people and more work. Plus it involves certification process from console owner. And don't give me "console ports weren't tailored for this" bullshit. Changing weapon slots is hardly a programming challenge. Most likely weapon limit wasn't increased for consoles because in the first place it was introduced to cater the gamepad(which was still dumb enough to consider). But seeing that changing weapons on PC still goes through a cycle doing the same for consoles wouldn't have been much different.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostBurnett, on 08 April 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Plus it involves certification process from console owner.

I think it's mostly down to this. Specifically, they must pay tens of thousands for a patch to go up on XBL and PSN. I guess Gearbox just didn't want to put up the cash for four weapons on console. Not that it really matters, the game would still be a total pile of shit if you could carry a million weapons.

I think it all comes down to the money, if gearbox wanted, they could give it to us, but they don't think it's worth it.

User is offline   Martin 

And they're right, who at this point would even give a fuck if the four weapon patch came to console? I got rid of my copy of DNF a month or two after launch. Does anyone even still play it? The multiplayer servers on PS3 emptied after a couple of weeks.

• Honored Donor

That news item from Gearbox about a week ago was very disheartening, because if Gearbox doesn't admit that DNF was a massive fail in almost every way (and we know a lot of that wasn't their fault, but they still need to admit it) then they won't strive to make the next game any better Posted Image

User is offline   Martin 

I think you can not take that press release of theirs seriously. They must know the game was total wank, but they're never going to come out and say that. Expect a vastly-better game next time. Whether it has no weapon-limit, regenerating health, linearity etc is not the point I'm making here. DNF doesn't even remotely stack up against other games which feature that type of gameplay (from whom DNF unashamedly stole it's mechanics). What I'm saying is, even if it still has all those things, it'll certainly be much better than DNF. Built from the ground-up now, they'd have to try very hard to make a game as bad as DNF, regardless of the gameplay mechanics chosen. It won't have that horrible 'cobbled-together' feel of Forever. Even if it's a cel-shaded cartoon shooter, at least it'll have a unified vision.

User is offline   Hool 

View PostMicky C, on 08 April 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

That news item from Gearbox about a week ago was very disheartening, because if Gearbox doesn't admit that DNF was a massive fail in almost every way (and we know a lot of that wasn't their fault, but they still need to admit it) then they won't strive to make the next game any better Posted Image

What news item? Can you point me in the right direction? I want to read it too.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 09 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options