Duke4.net Forums: Building EDuke32 on Mac OS X - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building EDuke32 on Mac OS X

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Well I tried it with both an .mp3 or a .ogg music pack and it exhibited the same problem. Would that make a difference? Probably should check to see if it happens with the built in MIDI songs too. Wait.. I modified my HRP to add in those PSX wav's.. that could be the problem.. I should check that out.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTetsuo, on 25 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

I seem to now be having problems with the looping function for songs. When it attempts to loop the song the entire sound system messes up.

So it messes up as in "produces horrible sounds that make you fear the sound card might break"? This really sucks.

Can you post/PM/link to that song? (Or any song that exhibits this problem; the smaller the better.) I haven't gotten around to trying out Hendricks' looping changes yet, but when I'm booting my Mac the next time, I could give it a go.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

No actually what happens is.. when it attempts to loop the song the sound system sort of cuts out and plays tiny blips of sounds while the action still stays at the same frame rate as before then the game sort of.. flakes out and crashes after a bit with no error reported. This happened with the E1M1 song in the roland sound packs by Musicallyinspired. I've realized it may have been due to the PSX sound pack I inserted into the HRP so I'm testing that out now removing that.

OK I tried that and it still happened. I played through most of E1M1 with the ogg music pack and when it attempted to loop it did the above... I was left with part of the water drip sounds in front of the theater partially looping.

I just removed the ogg music pack and it did the same thing. I'm actually wondering if it's even using the music pack at all when I put the zip file in autoload. At this point it doesn't seem like it is. When I press F5 it says it's playing the .mid even when I have the aforementioned pack in autoload.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 27 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

I updated my OS X build, can you try that one? When I tried a looping OGG, I didn't experience any crashes.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

How to you check to make sure it actually is using the music pack rather than the built in MIDI?

I tried the new build and it didn't seem to make a difference and as far as I can tell it's not loading the music pack I have in my autoload folder where the HRP goes.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 29 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTetsuo, on 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

How to you check to make sure it actually is using the music pack rather than the built in MIDI?

Acoustically? Just use something that sounds very different for testing purposes.

I tried the new build and it didn't seem to make a difference and as far as I can tell it's not loading the music pack I have in my autoload folder where the HRP goes.

Wait, I though we were debugging the much more severe issue of crashes/sound screwups? Don't use autoload; just name the file to have the same basename as a map to test things and place it in a directory in EDuke32's load path. For example, trueror1.map <--> trueror1.ogg. I'm not familiar enough with the DEF-based music system to give assistance for it.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

There seems to be a communication breakdown here... as I never implied what you seem to be thinking I did...

What I mean is.. I have the following directory structure... ~/Library/Application Support/Eduke32/autoload/ in that folder I have the duke3d.grp folder where I have polymer_hrp.zip and I've put a music pack (such as eduke32_mus.zip... or the equivalent from MusicallyInspired... I've tried three different packs)... it seems no matter which music pack I have in there I'm having the same problem....

I'm asking how I can tell if it's even using the music pack (ogg, MP3 or otherwise) while in-game NOT acousticly I mean.. UI wise... where does it tell you that it's playing an external sound file.. where can you check? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to for me... at least it doesn't sound like it... I notice no aural difference having a music pack in there or not... for all indications I get it seems to just be playing the .mid files from in the grp file. The only place I know of to check.. in the UI or otherwise (pressing F5) (doesn't seem to say it in the log either).. always says it's playing a .mid.

I'm trying to tell you something is going on with the audio with the commercial Duke3D levels that seems to be triggered when the song attempts to loop.... and it might not be playing external sound files as well.. at least for me anyway.

I didn't say or imply I am loading a user level from the autoload folder. Rereading your first response I see you seem to be under the impression that I was talking about a single user map and ogg file loading it up as a user map all along... rather than what I really mean.... the vanilla Duke3D episodes with the Polymer HRP and a Music Pack (either ogg or MP3.. as I said before I tried both).... The problem is showing up for me in E1L1 for example... not a user map.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 30 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

All right, I think that got through my thick skull :P. Apparently we were really talking about completely different things. I was under the impression that Hendricks' recent OGG looping changes from r3218 were somehow giving you trouble with looped OGGs, but what you mean is simply restarting a normal song after it's finished playing once, be it MID or OGG, right?

edit: about checking which file is being played, F5 should give the correct info. That's why I'm asking you to use plain music files named like a particular user map, because I can confirm that this at least is working.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yeah, it seems.. for lack of a better word... to choke when a song needs to loop no matter what kind of song is playing... while at the same time the frames per second are unaffected.

Additionally it doesn't seem to be playing songs out of a music pack for me at all... at least not that I can tell.. aurally or otherwise. Sound exactly the same whether I have a song pack of any kind set to autoload or not.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Update from me... it seems there may have been something wrong with my polymer_hrp.zip that I was keeping updated by saving the latest SVN into because I replaced it with the latest official 5.2 duke3d HRP release and it seems to have fixed my song looping problem... or the very least the first time I launched it and played with the HRP replaced the song in E1L1 looped without problem. That seems to be the case until further notice... I'll keep you posted.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 23 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

That's a relief. :)

User is offline   HiPhish 

Hello guys

I've downloaded eDuke from the link in Helixhorned's sig and I get this error when I try to launch it:

EDuke32 cannot be opened because of a problem
Check with the developer to make sure EDuke32 works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. [...]

You get the idea. I do have the SDL and SDL mixer frameworks on my system. When I click "Report" I get the following log I could send to Apple:

http://pastebin.com/eXDQZ9LS

While I'm at it, would it be possible to put the same link Halixhorned has in his signature on the front page please? The front page is still linking to the old Spam-Filter site.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHiPhish, on 11 January 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I get the following log I could send to Apple:

Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng14.14.dylib
... Is libpng installed on your system?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Shouldn't be necessary. That sounds like a macports dependency and not everyone has macports installed.

User is offline   HiPhish 

I do in fact have bth MacPorts and libpng from MacPorts, but I still get the error. I was able to run eDuke from helixhorned a few months ago, then I wanted to get a newer version and that's when I started getting the error. I'm sorry I don't know which version I had before.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTetsuo, on 14 June 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

BTW one other long standing bug in the OS X version is backspace (delete on the mac keyboard) doesn't work in the console or other places in the UI.

Is this still an issue with r3542 from my sig? I didn't change anything, but the delete key works for me as expected: pressing it deletes "from right to left" (backpace on PC) and pressing Fn+delete removes the character following the cursor.

View PostHelixhorned, on 03 March 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Is this still an issue with r3542 from my sig? I didn't change anything, but the delete key works for me as expected: pressing it deletes "from right to left" (backpace on PC) and pressing Fn+delete removes the character following the cursor.

Yes there is still this issue, here is some details :
Process:         eduke32 [85618]
Path:            /Users/Honor/Desktop/eduke32-osx-3693/EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS/eduke32
Identifier:      com.eduke32
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [243]

Date/Time:       2013-05-14 21:25:53.025 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          23304088 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           329
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   16
Anonymous UUID:                      1FAEA02B-6E28-4673-89A3-EACF0915DC68

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng14.14.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Honor/Desktop/eduke32-osx-3693/EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS/eduke32
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
    0x7fff5fc00000 -     0x7fff5fc3be0f  dyld 132.1 (???) <29DECB19-0193-2575-D838-CF743F0400B2> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro6,2, BootROM MBP61.0057.B0C, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.58f16
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, PCIe, 512 MB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics, Built-In, 288 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x93), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: ST9500420ASG, 465,76 GB
Serial ATA Device: M4-CT256M4SSD2, 238,47 GB
USB Device: Hub, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2514, 0xfa100000 / 2
USB Device: USB Receiver, 0x046d  (Logitech Inc.), 0xc52f, 0xfa140000 / 6
USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8403, 0xfa130000 / 5
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x0237, 0xfa120000 / 4
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0xfa110000 / 3
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8218, 0xfa113000 / 7
USB Device: Hub, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2514, 0xfd100000 / 2
USB Device: USB 2.0 Hub, 0x1a40  (TERMINUS TECHNOLOGY INC.), 0x0101, 0xfd130000 / 5
USB Device: USB Storage, 0x05e3  (Genesys Logic, Inc.), 0x0718, 0xfd132000 / 6
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0xfd120000 / 4
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0xfd110000 / 3

Look to be an "libpng14.14.dylib" error.

This post has been edited by Honorbrachios: 14 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

OK, backspacing seems to be working fine with my eduke32.

However, and I hate to say it and dreading to mention it but.. I got a brand new iMac (27 inch with 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM) with the current available top of the line Nvidia GPU (GTX680 2GB) on OS X Mountain Lion 10.7.4 (also happened in 10.7.3) and I'm having problems with the shadows in eduke32 now. I'm getting square shapes all over. This is the only game which is exhibiting that with the shadows too. Looking at the logs it seems FBO is failing.

From what I can tell the OpenGL drivers in OS X may be more homogenized than on Windows and the same workaround that is used on ATI is needed for nvidia there too. Or perhaps it's just me. It almost makes it seem like there might be a problem with my particular card. But again, shadows in other games don't exhibit the same thing.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 15 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

User is offline   Jottle 

View PostTetsuo, on 15 June 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

OK, backspacing seems to be working fine with my eduke32.

However, and I hate to say it and dreading to mention it but.. I got a brand new iMac (27 inch with 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM) with the current available top of the line Nvidia GPU (GTX680 2GB) on OS X Mountain Lion 10.7.4 (also happened in 10.7.3) and I'm having problems with the shadows in eduke32 now. I'm getting square shapes all over. This is the only game which is exhibiting that with the shadows too. Looking at the logs it seems FBO is failing.

From what I can tell the OpenGL drivers in OS X may be more homogenized than on Windows and the same workaround that is used on ATI is needed for nvidia there too. Or perhaps it's just me. It almost makes it seem like there might be a problem with my particular card. But again, shadows in other games don't exhibit the same thing.

I'm trying to get the duke it out in DC addon to be recognized by the mac version of eduke32. I've tried a bunch of different versions of the mac eduke32 app, but none of them will recognize the dukedc.grp file in the "games" list in the startup window. I've tried dropping dukedc.grp in the main eduke32 folder as well as my "autoload" folder, but no luck. The windows versions correctly identifies the dukedc.grp when I put that grp in the eduke32 folder no problem. Is it possible to get these megaton addon grp's working on the mac verison of the eduke32 app? The latest mac version of eduke32 has a bug where it doesn't even display to startup window. So I've been using svn3648 to select my games/addons/settings.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I haven't ran many addons other than the HRP with eduke32 but I did run BloodCM in it on my iMac by making a simple applescript with the line below:

do shell script "exec /Games/EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS/EDuke32 -g/BloodTC/BloodTC.grp -cfg/BloodTC/btc.cfg"

With the BloodTC folder being in the ~/Library/Application Support/Eduke32/ folder..

User is offline   Jottle 

View PostJottle, on 29 August 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'm trying to get the duke it out in DC addon to be recognized by the mac version of eduke32. I've tried a bunch of different versions of the mac eduke32 app, but none of them will recognize the dukedc.grp file in the "games" list in the startup window. I've tried dropping dukedc.grp in the main eduke32 folder as well as my "autoload" folder, but no luck. The windows versions correctly identifies the dukedc.grp when I put that grp in the eduke32 folder no problem. Is it possible to get these megaton addon grp's working on the mac verison of the eduke32 app? The latest mac version of eduke32 has a bug where it doesn't even display to startup window. So I've been using svn3648 to select my games/addons/settings.

Bump. Anyone got this working?

User is offline   rhoenie 

View PostJottle, on 11 March 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Bump. Anyone got this working?

Works fine for me using the EDuke32 Launcher scripts: Download here

I finally got latest EDuke32 working on PowerPC (with GUI, music, sound and everything but POLYMER) under Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) :-)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32_powerpc_g5.png
  • Attached Image: eduke32_powerpc_g4.PNG

This post has been edited by rhoenie: 07 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

Congratulations! Do you have any gameplay pics to go with that?

View PostKawa, on 07 April 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Congratulations! Do you have any gameplay pics to go with that?

Well.. there is nothing special about it. It looks like any other machine running POLYMOST. :-)

Here is a little video I just have recorded (keep in mind : the old Mac had to run the game and record it at the same time).

https://youtu.be/Le0xyLzxEjg

User is offline   Romulus 

Any chance of getting a more recent build that I can use to play Alien Armageddon on macOS Sierra 10.12.3?

And I just figured out that I have no clue on how to launch mods with the currently available macOS build.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 26 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options