Duke4.net Forums: The Real Critic - DNF Demo Dropped the Ball - it is HALO! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Real Critic - DNF Demo Dropped the Ball - it is HALO!  "Why George can't Hide"

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 04 June 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

How in the hell did the toilets stay so clean after that 'turdnado'?!!! :(

View Postferran275, on 05 June 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

This made me laugh my ass off, there is shit EVERYWHERE, but the toilet is sparkling clean, OMFG SO FUNNY B)

You guys are right! I am cancelling my pre-order right now! And yours! I can't let you play a game with so many defects! Anyone who buys this game is the enemy! And you are supporting Communism!

Ok, I am done... sorry. Having shell shock from all the negative power-trippin forum posts I have read since the Demo release.
Hehehe

There game is going to be a lot of fun even in spite of all the things "it isn't".

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 05 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostMrBlackCat, on 05 June 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

You guys are right! I am cancelling my pre-order right now! And yours! I can't let you play a game with so many defects! Anyone who buys this game is the enemy! And you are supporting Communism!

Ok, I am done... sorry. Having shell shock from all the negative power-trippin forum posts I have read since the Demo release.
Hehehe

There game is going to be a lot of fun even in spite of all the things "it isn't".

MrBlackCat

Hey man listen. I too notice lots of negative rants about the demo but it really isn't THAT BAD.
I am not trying to be a fanboy or anything here. I expected DNF to suck ass and for real, the demo was a 2001 game with graphics that are from 2005-2006.
If you are willing to accept the idea that DNF can potentially be a great competitor for Half Life 1, then you are ready to enjoy this game.

This dnf game has only evolved from a graphics standpoint but the gameplay is the same that you would expect a game to have in 2001.
You see, if dnf would have been released in 2001 as they initially intended to do so, a new sequel would have come out followed by 1 or 2 more sequels that would have gradually improved the gameplay style and graphics.
Because there was no other duke game since 96 other than DNF's development, DNF is truly a 2001's game with 2005-2006 graphics and some forced 2009 features like ambient occlusion that were added by greabox to give the game more depth for it's 3d objects.
The game is 2005-2006 graphics at heart but gearbox forced it to use some modern shaders just for the sake of improving it a bit more.
The game looks as if would run on a 2007 pc, while in reality it needs a relatively decent 2010 pc to run maxed out just because of a few shaders that barely make a bit of difference, while they drain the budget of your video card like mad.
In case you don't know what ambient occlusion is, then here's an example.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 08:42 AM, said:

Hey man listen. I too notice lots of negative rants about the demo but it really isn't THAT BAD.
I am not trying to be a fanboy or anything here. I expected DNF to suck ass and for real, the demo was a 2001 game with graphics that are from 2005-2006.
If you are willing to accept the idea that DNF can potentially be a great competitor for Half Life 1, then you are ready to enjoy this game.

This dnf game has only evolved from a graphics standpoint but the gameplay is the same that you would expect a game to have in 2001.
You see, if dnf would have been released in 2001 as they initially intended to do so, a new sequel would have come out followed by 1 or 2 more sequels that would have gradually improved the gameplay style and graphics.
Because there was no other duke game since 96 other than DNF's development, DNF is truly a 2001's game with 2005-2006 graphics and some forced 2009 features like ambient occlusion that were added by greabox to give the game more depth for it's 3d objects.

I agree... I understand that there has been no Released builds to evolve.
To me, the perfect example is GTA series... starting with III, then Vice City and San Andreas. Many of the features of SA were planned in GTA III. They did the best though could within a TIME LIMIT and got the games out the door, incomplete (but closed) each time. The series really did benefit from it in the end. I also enjoyed the budget titles Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories also.

So yes, I agree that the game has not been able to be evolved by "fan demand" since 1996 basically... like I have stated before, I am buying a 2006 game and I know it... and I am fine with it.
Maybe I should have said more accurately I am buying a 2000 game with a 2006 graphics system.

So considering the above, which we seem to agree on, (even as much as I don't like you) I do think they have done an amazing job considering they don't have any fan driven evolution of three other Duke Nukem games behind them.

Oh... and thanks for the graphic examples. Your effort is appreciated.
MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 05 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

It's not like Halo at all. I played all halo games and those games suck ass. Dnf is not like halo.

Really.... You played them all? Yet, they all suck ass?

How about a little honesty. Halo is a well developed console shooter that is fun on it's relative platform. It has good gameplay, good maps, theater, a stage builder, fair and balanced weapons.... The only complain I ever had with Halo, was the floatyness of the jumping. If you played them ALL, you don't think they suck, or you wouldn't have played them all.

I think what you meant to say was.... Halo ain't shit compared to Duke... This I would agree with. Duke feels nothing like halo, with the exception of the 2 weapon limit. The health system isn't even the same, so... yerp. (Halo 1 and 4 use medkits, not auto regen life.) Even with the 2 weapon limit, if the full game is anything like the demo.. then it's not really a problem, nearly every weapon is placed everywhere, you just need to look.

Also, Duke runs much faster than MC. Juss' sayin.

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 05 June 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

I agree... I understand that there has been no Released builds to evolve.
To me, the perfect example is GTA series... starting with III, then Vice City and San Andreas. Many of the features of SA were planned in GTA III. They did the best though could within a TIME LIMIT and got the games out the door, incomplete (but closed) each time. The series really did benefit from it in the end. I also enjoyed the budget titles Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories also.

So yes, I agree that the game has not been able to be evolved by "fan demand" since 1996 basically... like I have stated before, I am buying a 2006 game and I know it... and I am fine with it.
Maybe I should have said more accurately I am buying a 2000 game with a 2006 graphics system.

So considering the above, which we seem to agree on, (even as much as I don't like you) I do think they have done an amazing job considering they don't have any fan driven evolution of three other Duke Nukem games behind them.

Oh... and thanks for the graphic examples. Your effort is appreciated.
MrBlackCat

(Seem to be creating this habbit of quoting the wrong people... IDK if I'm losing my mind or what.)

You are buying a 2006 game with 2009 ish graphics. Compare Duke to any game that isn't Crysis or Bulletstorm, it's pretty equal.... And the game isn't "like a competitor for HL1" at all... nothing in Duke's demo would lead you to believe it was anything like HL1. Also, you haven't seen any story connected peices and haven't a clue how the narrative fits into the game yet. I figure it'll be a lot like HL2 with hyper interactivity and a sense of humor. Which really, is what Duke was. Point A to B/Solve Puzzles/find keycards to get to C. That's what HL2 was.... and that is also what DNF is. (Minus the arbitrary keys, replaced by cognitive puzzles...) People want HL2:EP3, which will just be a continuation of that style. So to say the design is dated is a bit off IMO, it's just a different design than most modern games, doesn't make the design inferior in any way.

All you people can blow it out your ass, y'all just hating and making baseless comparisons for no reason other than just to do it. DNF will rock when you can play it from alpha to omega.

This post has been edited by Laokin: 05 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Could you buy me a game? I'm an idiot too.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 05 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostLaokin, on 05 June 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Really.... You played them all? Yet, they all suck ass?

How about a little honesty. Halo is a well developed console shooter that is fun on it's relative platform. It has good gameplay, good maps, theater, a stage builder, fair and balanced weapons.... The only complain I ever had with Halo, was the floatyness of the jumping. If you played them ALL, you don't think they suck, or you wouldn't have played them all.

I think what you meant to say was.... Halo ain't shit compared to Duke... This I would agree with. Duke feels nothing like halo, with the exception of the 2 weapon limit. The health system isn't even the same, so... yerp. (Halo 1 and 4 use medkits, not auto regen life.) Even with the 2 weapon limit, if the full game is anything like the demo.. then it's not really a problem, nearly every weapon is placed everywhere, you just need to look.

Also, Duke runs much faster than MC. Juss' sayin.

Have you read post 39 of this topic or are you just asking this questions again just to troll me with repetitive questions?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Have you read post 39 of this topic or are you just asking this questions again just to troll me with repetitive questions?

Alot of people just read OP post and skip to the last page....stop being so critical/abrasive.

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Alot of people just read OP post and skip to the last page....stop being so critical/abrasive.

That's not my problem. If somebody only reads half of the topic and then asks me shit that I've already answered then that's his problem.
Also I am going to be as abrasive/critical as I feel like being.
I have a short temper and I don't like to be questioned about shit I've already bothered to answer so deal with it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Naw I read them, but there were no paid beta testers outside of Bungie Relatives according to Bungie. And, they handled the Beta for Reach entirely different... So I find it really difficult that you were a "paid" beta tester, being as that's not even what they are called.

If you are a "Paid" Beta tester, you are inside the bungie building and part of their Q.A. staff and as such, listed in the credits. No offense, just unsubstantiated claims are exactly that. Unsubstantiated. Not only that, but they are well made games and even if it's not your preference to say the game "Sucks" is an outright bias. You purposefully choose to ignore the production quality and the balance of the game, as well as the beautiful art style and well created universe....

Juss' sayin'....

I wasn't trolling, but it sure seems like you are, Mr. Negative. By the way, loooooooooooove the One Must Fall avatar. Was one of my favorite games back in the day, so credit where it's do.

This post has been edited by Laokin: 05 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Im going to have to reiterate my previous point. Duke Nukem Forever does absolutely without a doubt borrow a great number of concepts and ideas from Halo's game play... Because George Broussard liked them. Period. The two weapon limit, the waves of enemies coming in from drop ships, the quick use of grenades, the "truck" vehicle that you can flip over with the use key. These are all taken straight from Halo, because again, George liked em. Denying this, and saying that DNF isn't like Halo in several ways is just plain lying to yourself. You can certainly say that from a story/character/content perspective that DNF is a very different beast and leaves Halo in the dust, and i'd entirely agree with that.

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 June 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

Im going to have to reiterate my previous point. Duke Nukem Forever does absolutely without a doubt borrow a great number of concepts and ideas from Halo's game play... Because George Broussard liked them. Period. The two weapon limit, the waves of enemies coming in from drop ships, the quick use of grenades, the "truck" vehicle that you can flip over with the use key. These are all taken straight from Halo, because again, George liked em. Denying this, and saying that DNF isn't like Halo in several ways is just plain lying to yourself. You can certainly say that from a story/character/content perspective that DNF is a very different beast and leaves Halo in the dust, and i'd entirely agree with that.

I flipped my monster truck, and couldn't flip it back over... so I missed that one, as for Off Hand Grenades, Halo is FAR from the only game that did that... nor was it the first. Same thing with the drop ships. Duke3D had things in common with halo, lets just say that Duke3D stole from halo while we are at it...

View PostLaokin, on 05 June 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

Naw I read them, but there were no paid beta testers outside of Bungie Relatives according to Bungie. And, they handled the Beta for Reach entirely different... So I find it really difficult that you were a "paid" beta tester, being as that's not even what they are called.

If you are a "Paid" Beta tester, you are inside the bungie building and part of their Q.A. staff and as such, listed in the credits. No offense, just unsubstantiated claims are exactly that. Unsubstantiated. Not only that, but they are well made games and even if it's not your preference to say the game "Sucks" is an outright bias. You purposefully choose to ignore the production quality and the balance of the game, as well as the beautiful art style and well created universe....

Juss' sayin'....

I wasn't trolling, but it sure seems like you are, Mr. Negative. By the way, loooooooooooove the One Must Fall avatar. Was one of my favorite games back in the day, so credit where it's do.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings by calling the games shit but sadly that's what I think about them and not just because I had to test them from prealpha to gold through numerous and very painful failed submissions for microsoft but also because I found the characters and the story to be childish most of the time.
I will give Halo 1 credit for having an ambient that was at times similar to that of Mass Effect 1 (which I did like) as for everything else, I don't have anything good to say.
I know the halo series has caused obsessions across the new generation of gamers but I was just never into the games. They weren't serious enough for me.
I grew up with the first fps games ever made and I kept enjoying new fps game up until crysis hl2 and portal 1 times.
The fps games made after that time are not really motivating me to play them anymore.
I am only interested to play a few more fps games and then quit gaming completely.
I want to play Rage, DNF, Deus ex Human Revolution and to check out doom4 and see if it's worth it when it comes out.
That's pretty much it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

That's not my problem. If somebody only reads half of the topic and then asks me shit that I've already answered then that's his problem.
Also I am going to be as abrasive/critical as I feel like being.
I have a short temper and I don't like to be questioned about shit I've already bothered to answer so deal with it.

No you should stop being a cunt....pardon my french...to people just because they can't read every post a long thread contains.

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

No you should stop being a cunt....pardon my french...to people just because they can't read every post a long thread contains.

You should stop giving advices to people that haven't requested them. And calling me a cunt makes you cunt too.
I never insulted that guy but you insulted me just to defend him from his own mistakes.
As you can see I was already talking with that guy much more politely than you are talking to me right now.
So next time you give me unwanted advice I will show you what it would be like if I really was a cunt.
Now buzz off. I have no time for shitty arguments.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

You should stop giving advices to people that haven't requested them. And calling me a cunt makes you cunt too.
I never insulted that guy but you insulted me just to defend him from his own mistakes.
As you can see I was already talking with that guy much more politely that you are talking to me right now.
So next time you give me unwanted advice I will show you what it would be like if I really was a cunt.

I can say whatever I want(sound familiar?), and btw cunt was toned down...I was gonna say much, much worse. To be frank, your attitude in many posts stinks to high heaven, and is very abrasive and semi-trolling.

Go right ahead ans show me, tough guy...i'll be waiting the not impressed section.

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

I can say whatever I want(sound familiar?), and btw cunt was toned down...I was gonna say much, much worse. To be frank, your attitude in many posts stinks to high heaven, and is very abrasive and semi-trolling.

Go right ahead ans show me, tough guy...i'll be waiting the not impressed section.

You are the cutest person I've ever met on a forum.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

You are the cutest person I've ever met on a forum.

Spoiler

You are such a moron......

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

You are such a moron......

Thank you for making it official.
Now can we move along or shall we participate at this debate some more?
It's not that I mind but I was under the impression that this topic was not about me.
Excuse me if I am wrong to think that but, you know...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

Thank you for making it official.
Now can we move along or shall we participate at this debate some more?
I'm already over it.....are you?

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm already over it.....are you?

It depends. I might get over it if you allow me to be a cunt/abrasive person in the future too.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

It depends. I might get over it if you allow me to be a cunt/abrasive person in the future too.
Nope...gonna call you on it and low rep you at every turn. As is my perogative as being abrasive seems to be yours.

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

Nope...gonna call you on it and low rep you at every turn. As is my perogative as being abrasive seems to be yours.

I've seen some people on this forum that are cunts even though their rep is -50 but if you truly think I will stop being myself due to bad rep points then I warn you that you are going to lose your rep points on me.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

I've seen some people on this forum that are cunts even though their rep is -50 but if you truly think I will stop being myself due to bad rep points then I warn you that you are going to lose your rep points on me.
Even so, it's still my choice why I do so.....

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

Even so, it's still my choice why I do so.....

I gave you a positive rep because I agreed with you post :(
Now out of respect for others that don't want to read our crap argument, can we move this somewhere else or cut it altogether?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

I gave you a positive rep because I agreed with you post :(
Now out of respect for others that don't want to read our crap argument, can we move this somewhere else or cut it altogether?
I see you dislike GBX forums censorship btw, which is fine and dandy...but then you seem(to me) to abuse this forum's leniant policies to be outright crude and imo that's being a dick...just my two cents.

Maybe you don't have to candycoat things but a little decoruum every now and then goes a long way to making one more friends than enemies & also helps things flow better conversation-wise.....get what i'm saying?

I am ending it now......but not because I want to but out of respect for the other forum users.

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 05 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

View PostDN4EVR, on 05 June 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

I see you dislike GBX forums censorship btw, which is fine and dandy...but then you seem(to me) to abuse this forum's leniant policies to be outright crude and imo that's being a dick...just my two cents.

Maybe you don't have to candycoat things but a little decoruum every now and then goes a long way to making one more friends than enemies & also helps things flow better conversation-wise.....get what i'm saying?

I am ending it now......but not because I want to but out of respect for the other forum users.

I already know to be a nice guy don't worry.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLaokin, on 05 June 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

I flipped my monster truck, and couldn't flip it back over... so I missed that one, as for Off Hand Grenades, Halo is FAR from the only game that did that... nor was it the first. Same thing with the drop ships. Duke3D had things in common with halo, lets just say that Duke3D stole from halo while we are at it...

That's not my point. My point is George said they specifically took things that he found cool about Halo.

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

It's not like Halo at all. I played all halo games and those games suck ass. Dnf is not like halo.

Don't hate halo 1 was epic the rest were crap >.<

View PostMadmaxwell, on 05 June 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Don't hate halo 1 was epic the rest were crap >.<

I already said I liked a few things about halo 1.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options