Duke4.net Forums: Windows 8 and my first opinion about it's interface. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 8 and my first opinion about it's interface.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

It's the most business/office-unfriendly OS I have ever seen.

User is offline   Blues22475 

Apparently they're releasing an update to this called (at least the beta is) Windows 8.1. This version is supposed to cater to those business-class users.

All the same, the UI is garbage. They're making some changes such as being able to start at your desktop rather than looking at the annoying Metro Interface. Start button comes back,but it doesn't do what you think it does (so keep your 3rd party start button handy).

Imo, it runs great under the hood, but the interface is too much of a departure to what people are used to playing with. Furthermore, it only really works great with touch interfaces (I mean to close windows dragging it to the bottom of the screen is a joke with keyboard and mouse). Further it would make a common user want to learn shortcuts more often (I have no problems with this but that alone is just turning people off). If you're using Windows 7 I suggest stick with it until you're forced to upgrade. If you're really in it for the Interface, stay way and burn it with fire. If you don't care about the interface, but love the way it performs, then it's up your alley. I have heard of compatibility issues with some games (though not entirely sure if there other program compatibility programs either).

View Post486DX2, on 07 July 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Windows 8 is shit. I shouldn't have to do that much modification to Windows 8 out of the box, including editing the fucking registry to get a proper, clean, shutdown. Also, Metro is fucking terrible. I don't care if there's a start menu replacement, Metro is an abortion and it totally shows how clueless Microsoft is these days. It's not an issue of being "lazy," it's a piece of shit, end of story. It's like Ford saying "Dude, I've got an idea. Let's put the blinker switch INSIDE the center console. Oh, and let's put the stereo on the passenger side." That's what Microsoft did. Who cares if that new Mustang is fast if you get cramps trying to drive it?

I could install Windows 7, OS X, and like a billion different flavors of Linux and I wouldn't have to tweak jack shit out of the gate, because the UI isn't terrible and they don't run in perpetual retard mode.

View Post486DX2, on 08 July 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

If 8.1 stops sucking horse dicks, then yeah.

That's what 486DX2 says a/b Win 8. Relaying his quotes from another post.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 22 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   faked 

I've done some research on Windows 8.1 and my opinion is: :) . I'm quite happy with my present os,win8.

User is offline   Klapher 

View Postgrouchbag, on 17 July 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I've done some research on Windows 8.1 and my opinion is: :) . I'm quite happy with my present os,win8.

You are joking right? The operating system is a mess feezez all time and shit is fuckedup.
Windows 7 64 bit for the win imo.
Microsoft is dead and gone if windows 9 is as shit as this is.

This post has been edited by Klapher: 20 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

User is offline   faked 

View PostKlapher, on 20 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

You are joking right? The operating system is a mess feezez all time and shit is fuckedup.

I think it's okay for you to think that way.But I haven't had any problem with Windows 8 at all.The only real problem I had at all was getting rid of the Norton antivirus.I would even have been okay with Norton,but it informed me I could NOT download anything at all,until I bought their product.Thanks to the guys here at the forum,I finally got it out.I think some people like Windows 8,& some don't.
P.S.Thanks again to everyone who helped me get rid of the Norton.

This post has been edited by grouchbag: 20 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostKlapher, on 20 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Windows 8 has never once "feezez" (which I assume means freezed) up on me and you can ignore the Metro UI if you want to.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

LOL "fuckedup" as one word. Hahaha

User is offline   faked 

Windows 8 has NEVER frozen on me.Could it be you're a bit jealous?If you are,don't be.

User is offline   Kathy 

Got a little taste of Win 8 at work. It's okay, I wouldn't mind it while working. "Start" absence is sort of overblown, but there should have been an option to bring it back. As a whole, I like Metro UI's visual design flatness.

Now that Windows 8.1 is out. Anyone tried it out yet? If so; thoughts?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDustFalcon85, on 18 October 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Now that Windows 8.1 is out. Anyone tried it out yet? If so; thoughts?

Funny you posted that, I am currently downloading it now.
Although I have gotten used to the whole missing "Start Menu" now...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

there are programs that will give you back the start menu if you really want it (classic shell)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I started using 8.1 a few months ago when the RTM ISO was released on MSDN. It's a minor improvement over 8, certainly recommended for anyone running 8 now. I upgraded my wife's system to 8.1 yesterday as well and honestly I don't think she can even tell the difference yet.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options