Duke4.net Forums: Another important message about Duke Nukem Forever - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another important message about Duke Nukem Forever

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMad Max RW, on 17 May 2011 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm referring to the guy having a napoleon complex at the Gearbox forums. Sheesh. Touchy. I bet you voted for Obama.

No offense, but must you turn this thread into a political discussion? Seriously. Everywhere I go, someone has to bring up fucking politics, it's why we can't have nice things. It sours and degrades any conversation the subject comes in contact with, like an infectious disease.

As far as the whole racism thing, perhaps you could have rephrased your original post, as it did seem borderline like you were tying the fact he's Asian to him having this napoleon complex as you put it.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

User is offline   Twig 

View PostYou, on 17 May 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

I'm really taking this too far, but listen: http://tts.imtranslator.net/G2KD

Cool page, thank for that! =) So it did pronounce lik I imagined in my head.
I still say it'äs a rhyme as it has a [i] in it's middle section and both end with occlusives (in this case, g and d, they both belong in the same group [both are made by stopping airflow] and therefor they are pronounced similarily).

Although the I in the middle differs abit

read verb \ˈrēd\
twig noun \ˈtwig\

So it's longer in word read, but that still counts as a partial rhyme. What matters is the phonetic similarity, repetition, so that one word could easily morph into other. And they both have [i] in the middle (with actually twigs i not that much shorter pronounced) and surrounded with 1 consonant (and in both cases the occlusive is the conconant at the end of word). There's a link.

So yeah, it's a rhyme, it doesn't look that way at first glance but the point of rhyming is _how it sounds_, not how it is written, poetry is a verbal activity, poets recite their poetry. And so when we read it, why are simulating the sound of it in our heads. And in my head it perfectly fits for a rhyme. It's not a clear-cut rhyme in it's transcription but it's a definite auditive (and partial) one.

User is offline   coheed82 

Whoa guys come on now. show some commeradery please. Is that spelt right? hah i Dont care. my point is more important that its spelling thanks. Whats with some here, yes i mean you twig, and DN4EVR. Why are we all not abit annoyed about the late release of June 3 for our demo? Maybe we all are thinking that way but some choose to hide the fact thinking it's not something a 'man' does.. the fact remains all us FAC guys are in the same fuckn boat. :) Now instead of attacking the people who are genuinely sore about the demo being not til the 3rd, just leave that for people who are truly being racist, or mean. .

We all want our slice of dnf here, yes i want the demo, yes im abit ticked that we dont get it as early as i thought it might be....
we will never know the truth about it, weather they had the demo floating around since march for all we know. why its taken this long, Hell they may have truly finished making the demo say last week... And then yes id give them a pat on the back and say thankyou..

its still roughly 2 weeks away.. and im totally sick of my other games. but i guess i might download a steam demo or something.. Mafia 2 demo was epic, ok, not in the sheer size, but the look & feel, the sounds, everything made me feel like i was transported back into the 1930's.. which was cool.

Anyways, play nice please, its almost here, and if it wasnt for gbx we wouldnt have it at all.
its a hard wait, everyday seems like a week, but @ the end of the day we will have it, & the game on june 10th. i know it will kick ass..
i just dont care for anymore teasers, just the demo. so lets wait n' see. :D

This post has been edited by coheed82: 17 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

User is offline   Gf11speed 

View Postfuegerstef, on 16 May 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

I learn something new here everyday.

But what the hell was all the stuff in the games if it wasn't debug information???

That stuff was debug info. I was just saying that the build they were using isn't one that will be shipped to the public. Developers almost rarely use pure ship builds unless they are playing a retail copy of the game.

This post has been edited by Gf11speed: 17 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

User is offline   Twig 

View PostMad Max RW, on 17 May 2011 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm referring to the guy having a napoleon complex at the Gearbox forums. Sheesh. Touchy. I bet you voted for Obama.

Considering I'm not a native english speaker I think it's safe to say I'm not from America.
But yeah, we europeans cheered for you americans for your choise and hoped that this will start an age of reason and understanding in Americas political culture =)

And I understood that you were refering to the bannings and deleting that took place in gearbox forums. On one hand I also think it was too harsh but on the other hand there were houserules already written about speaking of piracy. He could have given a gentler slap on hands but people really should have leanred and respected the houserules, Gearbox is the host of the forum, we the guests.

Now what I was refering to was your insertion that "of course he acted this way, he is asian". Now that is racist. I wouldn't want to be typecast only because of my belonging to some group. Would you? We as a gamers are still marginaliced by the many and Fox News (and soccer-moms trough) it still see gaming as an unproductive and even potentially harmful activity while it actually is just one carrier of culture and one medium among others. You know this. You loe and understand games. Now would you like someone to say something derogative about you only because you are a gamer? Or would you like the world actually take the time to get know to you, to care and not just base oppinions on prejudices?

Think of it in that way. Do unto others how you would want be treated. And the world will be genuinely a better place.

This post has been edited by Twig: 17 May 2011 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTwig, on 17 May 2011 - 05:09 AM, said:

<stuff>

You must have some heavy exotic accent or something, and/or pronounce one of those words drastically different than most people, because audibly the words Read and Twig sound nothing alike, at all. Maybe Read and Tweeg(which isn't a word, but I'm using it as an example), or Rig and Twig, but not Read and Twig. (I'm not talking written form, I'm talking about verbal pronunciation here.)

I'm considered a native English speaker, and I'm quite fluent in the English language. Not once have I heard those two words rhyme.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 May 2011 - 05:37 AM

User is offline   Twig 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 May 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

You must have some heavy exotic accent or something, because audibly the words Read and Twig sound nothing alike, at all. Maybe Read and Tweeg, or Rig and Twig, but not Read and Twig. (I'm not talking written form, I'm talking about verbal pronunciation here.)

Yeah, the ea is longer then i in twig. Thats why I said it's partial rhyme. But it completely possible that my own langual framework renders them a stronger rhyme then it is =)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I love how this thread went from DNF to politics to rhyming.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMicky C, on 17 May 2011 - 05:27 AM, said:

I was just going to ask some questions about cake baking also... Lets really push this! :)

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Twig 

View PostMicky C, on 17 May 2011 - 05:27 AM, said:

That is the power of DNF Community! :)

MrBlackCat im gonna vote your post up man, brilliant :)

View PostYou, on 16 May 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

What's killing me here is that it's just being used for a marketing line. Realistically the whole thing builds up to "but you got pre-order the game first". If anything this video is the first time I've worried about the game.

***From another thread***

View PostYou, on 16 May 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Ca anybody see this post? I feel like I'm completely invisible.

I can see it...
I am told people ignore my posts often because they are too long... maybe yours are too short? There is a lot of unspoken criteria to forums! :)
(Or maybe in my case people here are polite and don't want to tell me it is the content that sucks, not how much of it there is... :D )

I read your post and just as some stated... it was an opinion. Mine is different and still isn't thought out. I guess I don't care enough to think it out. But my reactionary thoughts were...

I think the Demo will be cracked, hacked, violated and abused, so maybe they want to wait as long as possible to reduce spoilers and possibly any other things that could be exploited early on.
I also think they it likely need more time to work on it... all these guys here who do Duke Mods know well that trimming things and changing things, can break things.
We know they REALLY cut it close with the game itself, even in overdrive. So I think the Demo just takes some time. I have never used an editor for Unreal of any kind, so maybe someone who has could say how hard it would be in terms of time to get a game like this running as a demo.

My last thought is this... this game is "epic" in some ways, to a lot of gamers. I don't see this game breaking any records for opening sales, because the fan base is not as big as many other games coming out soon. I DO think however, that this game will be different enough to have long term sales non-typical of most, because it is a different kind of game. I think, like Duke Nukem 3D, word will get out... for those not sure, this Demo would be critical. It needs to be good... In my opinion, it needs to be "long" relative to the size of the game so people who do try it can say "Damn, this demo is as long as my CoD!" and there is your sale.

This demo will be a part of history, and I think they realize that an excellent Demo will help the sales in the long term.

But this is all just theory.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 17 May 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

I was just going to ask some questions about cake baking also... Lets really push this! :)

MrBlackCat

Oh! Cake, a subject I'm deep into it http://cakephp.org/ no kidding. I spent all night on it, plus how to put the icing on, but it melts, my cake melted the last with 23 errors. :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 17 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

View Postcoheed82, on 17 May 2011 - 05:40 AM, said:

MrBlackCat im gonna vote your post up man, brilliant :)

View PostHank, on 17 May 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

Oh! Cake, a subject I'm deep into it http://cakephp.org/ no kidding. I spent all night on it, plus how to put the icing on, but it melts, my cake melted the last with 23 errors. :(
LOL!

In a twist of irony (because my above post/statement was intended random) I remember this from my last birthday!
Posted Image

Only slightly off topic... it is a Duke Nukem Cake... :D
(Yeah, my girlfriend is awesome...)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 17 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

One thing I notice is that people are hating Gearbox. Isn't the publisher to blame for "cutting it close"?

Who knows really? :(
they should all sit @ one of those massive tables together and sort things out from there.. But who knows.
Come mid June and beyond we will all forget about the bs.. and be playing duke. until then though we will be here,
:D :) life's a Bitch.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostHank, on 17 May 2011 - 04:13 AM, said:

Common – those FAC members will post and quote and show videos or whatever else one can think off. I feel sorry for the admins already. Looking at the FAC member list– if anyone of those make new topics, or update their Blog, Twitter or YouTube account and link here, the non FAC people are anything but in the dark.

Being left in the dark about a non-FAC demo is what I was referring to.
Randy Pitchford didn't mention what Gearbox' plans are in that area (e.g. demo a few days after FAC, a cpuple of weeks after release, none at all).
I understand it's all about pushing the FAC pre-orders right now, but I'd still like to know what to expect.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostX-Vector, on 17 May 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

Being left in the dark about a non-FAC demo is what I was referring to.
Randy Pitchford didn't mention what Gearbox' plans are in that area (e.g. demo a few days after FAC, a cpuple of weeks after release, none at all).
I understand it's all about pushing the FAC pre-orders right now, but I'd still like to know what to expect.

I'm slow, sorry - yet, as others wrote, it looks like there will not be a demo for the general public, well, maybe after the game is out.

@ Spirrwell the publisher does not host a forum, and I don't think it's actual hate, just nerves letting loose, come 14 June we will all worship Gearbox, and those who do not, well, who gives a shit about them really. :)

• tile 1018

View PostHank, on 17 May 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

@ Spirrwell the publisher does not host a forum, and I don't think it's actual hate, just nerves letting loose, come 14 June we will all worship Gearbox, and those who do not, well, who gives a shit about them really. :)

Eh, whatever. I think that we should all just forget about who to blame, forget about Gearbox, forget about 2k, and focus on what really matters, Mr. Duke Fucking Nukem. (sorry couldn't resist saying it that way)

View PostDN4EVR, on 16 May 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

So, are you playing any DN3D(with HRP even) in anticipation of this epic date? :)

I'll be playing all Duke games in the following weeks.
DOS, Gameboy, PS1, Mobile, PC, Nintendo, you name it.

Just to celebrate and kill the waiting time for Duke Nukem Forever.

View PostHank, on 17 May 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

I'm slow, sorry - yet, as others wrote, it looks like there will not be a demo for the general public, well, maybe after the game is out.

Really, that doesn't make anyone nervous?

Demos are to get people to become interested in buying a game after they've had a play sample. What is the point of a demo if its only given to people who've already bought the game?

Another long post for those who read them.

(Ultra Summary for Jhect at ------)
(Summary Below at ======)

Once I was asked to make changes to a spreadsheet that was used by Estimating. The person who requested the change was the Vice President of the company and claimed to know little or nothing about computers. He asked me to make the change and said it would take about 30 minutes.
I said ok, and started a trace (manually) to see the impact and what was needed.
About an hour later he came in and said "Whats the hold up?" I told him I was still not completed with the trace and it was going to be big... and that I would see if I could find a work around of some kind but I had to know what we were dealing with first.
The trace took over two hours and used two 11x17 sheets of paper and 5 color codes for group/classing. (Yeah)
I told him it was a HUGE deal to make this change... it would take many hours by hand because of the design of the spreadsheet, and it was not even my design.
Long story longer. I was going to approach the president about the change, but he "caught" me and "ordered" me to do it basically... his actual statement was "Well I guess you better get to it then..." when I told him I would estimate at least 40 hours to make the change.
I was very busy with other work at the time and because of getting on and off the job so much, in the end it took about 50 hours. I hand modified over 1200 formulas.
I had missed certain changes when I traced it due to some external input data and it just took time. Later in meetings, I got was "How long I took to do things" with spreadsheets. I was also not allowed to defend myself. Turn based biased meeting BS... they wanted it that way and anyone below the vice president could not speak out of turn. I submitted the hours to my boss and explained the situation, he took action to prevent this kind of behavior in the office... in the end, the owner just said "Trouble makers bring up the past like that a lot." so my boss apologized to me personally, but he too was "losing points" trying to fight the "corruption" involved. So I was then tagged as "being slow" in my job.

=======================
Here is the point. In the end, I knew I had done something no one else in the company was even capable of understanding, and I had done it "fast" by any standard I know of. I had done a great job, and no one would ever know... and never got anything but shit for it.

Because of experiences like this, I choose not to "attack" GearBox... because you/we really don't know what really went on... and just maybe they have gone above and beyond in ways you will never know. Maybe this is early and you just don't know what they have been through. Maybe this is the best that could have been done. And the same as the above story, there is no point in trying to explain things (like they did in the delay video) because people who are going to bitch, bitch no matter what. Why waste time trying to explain something to people who aren't listening? They have a game to develop, no time to babysit. The more desired customers will give benefit of doubt in the absence of full and detailed information anyway.

-----------------------
Summary for people who crash out on anything above three sentences... for you Jhect: While we are making reasons about DNF development, why are they always bad? And reasons to attack GearBox? Why can't we also make up the possibility that GearBox did a good job and they might have been up against some serious issues, and this IS early?

MrBlackCat

I agree, Gearbox hasn't done anything wrong.

Thank you for the summary. I really love to spare the time i could have used on reading xD And you like writing a lot so i guess you liked to make a summary too haha

View PostMrBlackCat, on 17 May 2011 - 05:49 AM, said:

LOL!

In a twist of irony (because my above post/statement was intended random) I remember this from my last birthday!
Posted Image

Only slightly off topic... it is a Duke Nukem Cake... :)
(Yeah, my girlfriend is awesome...)

MrBlackCat

I wonder how she will surprise you when you get maried o.O

(dress as duke) hmm

User is offline   Alithinos 

View Postwayskobfssae, on 17 May 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

Demos are to get people to become interested in buying a game after they've had a play sample. What is the point of a demo if its only given to people who've already bought the game?

That's right.
A demo is a demo - nstration,advertising content demonstrating the product to make people interested in buying.
So,I guess giving a measure that its use is to convince people to buy a product,to people who have already bought the product,isn't that effective from a marketing point of view.. :)
Anyway,the demo is being offered to costumers who have already bought the product as a "thank you" for buying it instead of unleashing it to people that haven't buy it,so IMO I think that it would be better if the demo remained a demo ,and perhaps there could be another privilege for those who pre-ordered...
But hey,they already got those extra MP costumes and big heads mode...
Anyway they could make some other exclusive in-game stuff for the people who trusted Gearbox that they will REALLY ship the game,and let the demo act and being used as a demo...

@MrBlackCat:
I read many of your posts including this one.
You know,it's not the actual fact that is big but the fact that usually you answer questions in the forums in such a way that is difficult for someone to reply to you.
I mean you express your opinion in such a way someone just respects your opinion and take it as it is no matter if he agrees or not.
That's my o.

User is offline   Hank 

I still don't get it. The In The Club Members will get the demo on the third. Seven/ten days later the game will hit the streets. Why would they issue the demo in that time span also to the public? Those that are not sure, if they want the game, will probably get access to a demo in a couple of weeks. I think, they do not need the demo right now. And if you pre-ordered the game, the demo will give you the chance to cancel, if it sucks. So, overall, win-win. :)

p.s. No, I'm not nervous. I'll buy the game. I just can't make up my mind to get the PS3 version or the PC version. And I'm hoping to get honest feedbacks from the in the club members, right here. :D

View PostJhect, on 17 May 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

I wonder how she will surprise you when you get maried o.O

(dress as duke) hmm

Married? No, she is smarter than that. She doesn't ever want to be married again. :)
I never know what she is going to make next... :D
I will let you know though.
(no need for summary! YAY!)
I think if you (Jhect) had a forum of your own, you would set the character limit for a maximum (like 150) rather than a minimum. Hehehe

View PostAlithinos, on 17 May 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

@MrBlackCat:
I read many of your posts including this one.
You know,it's not the actual fact that is big but the fact that usually you answer questions in the forums in such a way that is difficult for someone to reply to you.
I mean you express your opinion in such a way someone just respects your opinion and take it as it is no matter if he agrees or not.
That's my o.
Thank you for the comment. "Difficult for someone to reply"... I don't understand. I am also unable to determine polarization with what you stated, if there is any. <?> Could you elaborate a bit? (even if in a PM)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 17 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Nope. Plenty of games don't even get a demo or they don't get one until after the game comes out.

I do think this week or next week would have been better for FAC and then a week after for everyone else.

But, I don't think it's Gearbox's fault...

User is offline   muskydragon 

• Yatta is a dictator! :)

From what I am hearing the reason for the delay had to deal with certain key parts of the game having glitches or not being finished.
If anyone has seen the DNF script leaked on the internet. You'd see why there was the delay..

Not gonna spoil it.. but DNF wasn't finished near the end. From what I hear they had to finish the ending parts of the game.
This caused a delay and they could have cut some things out. But they didn't want to do that... so the demo wasn't high priority until the game was finished. and come up with an ending so they could continue the franchise.

The game is now finished and so they can now focus on getting the demo out and that created a delay for the demo.

-End of Story-

This post has been edited by muskydragon: 17 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

• tile 1018

View PostZor, on 17 May 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

I do think this week or next week would have been better for FAC and then a week after for everyone else.

But, I don't think it's Gearbox's fault...

I agree, I don't think it's Gearbox's fault, I think that it's more on the publisher than them. Although I do think that this blame game is getting to be a bit insane. People here seem to be worse than politicians. As I've said before, the only thing that matters in all of this is Duke Nukem.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options