Duke4.net Forums: 360 Demo Leaked? Do not support piracy! - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

360 Demo Leaked? Do not support piracy!

User is offline   Stewox 

Well the thing is quite unpopular and it's not spreading ... atleast something good.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 19 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

User is offline   Dukefan24 

View PostStewox, on 19 May 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Well the thing is quite unpopular and it's not spreading ... atleast something good.

That's because JTAG and Devkit Xbox systems are unpopular (read: rare). That's also why this 'leak' isn't such a problem after all.

User is offline   Stewox 

It made a stir , but they probably made a huge relief it wasn't the full game.

This is the best release date ever.

It's the 3rd world and europe that does the most piracy - americans are gameoholics (not in a bad way) alot buy games, with the worldwide release being first, coupled with luck of no leaks , there's more sales potential then ever.

But then again , who wants to buy it , he'll buy it no matter what.

Piracy is out of context (excuse for internet control) , for me , it's a way of demos , i usually buy stuff if it's good and i know i will play.

The industry doesn't understand it self , mostly the mainstream spammers , they create crap games , which low sales they blame on piracy , but they don't know that most gamers didn't even pirate it because it was a waste of bandwidth and time.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 20 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

I agree with that. Piracy is one of the biggest ilusions the game industry has ever seen.

Of course there are people who pirate (some of) their games, but that doesn't mean the pirate made 'lost sales' for the publisher. That depends on the reason why that person pirated the game, and in nearly all cases, that person wouldn't actually buy the game if pirating wasn't an option.

The industry just likes to make the best out of 'crap games' by counting the amount of torrent peers and calculate the raw result data directly into 'lost sales' for the court.

And the release date difference (international/US) is only because of the weekly schedules in which retailers get shipments of new releases. Last DNF release date got US first, this time international is first. It's merely a coincidence.

The countries where piracy is at it's most are China and Russia, if I remember correctly. Europe, US, Australia, and most other parts of Asia aren't much different.

So yeah, piracy isn't a problem, the industry WANTS it to be a problem. :)

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I don't know where you guys get your data from, but piracy is a huge problem. Do you know why most games today are all the same? Because they are guaranteed money back from their investment if they copy whatever is popular at the time. Why are they doing this? Because it costs millions of dollars to fund a single game through development and they NEED to make that money back by releasing a blockbuster each and every time. The best way to ensure that is by copying something else. Now factor in the billions of dollars lost across the board every year through piracy. It barely scratches the copycat blockbusters, but it sure as hell kills any chances of something new and fresh from coming out. Nobody wants to risk putting the money up anymore. Indie devs are hurt the most. It's not completely the fault of piracy, but it is a big factor in determining what kind of games are made.

User is offline   Hank 

@ MadMax RW
I heard about this before, like since the dawn of software development. The assumption is that those who obtain pirated material would actually buy a given product otherwise. I think this premise is flawed. If you don't have $50, you simply don't. A pirated copy is illegal, yet it's market share is limited to those who would not buy a legal copy it in the first place. Should the pirate make more cash than the developer, on a given product, perhaps the developer should consider playing pirate as well.
I think the reason we have only a few original games is that there are currently only few original ideas out there. And for as long as the public buys Halo and Call of Duty, there will be more of those style games. Once they are over it, we should see new games. So, for now I'll stick with IndieDB, lot of hidden treasures there. Best chance to see fresh ideas. :)

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostHank, on 20 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

@ MadMax RW
I heard about this before, like since the dawn of software development. The assumption is that those who obtain pirated material would actually buy a given product otherwise. I think this premise is flawed. If you don't have $50, you simply don't.

That's something you can never prove. You're too focused on pirated = downloaded, where that is only a portion of software piracy. Your logic is flawed. If you can afford to pay for an internet connection to download gigabytes worth of data at a time then you can afford to go out and buy the game. A huge chunk of software piracy is attributed to bootleg versions sold in foreign countries or the western black market. For example, if I wanted I can go to Chinatown in NYC and pick up all the latest games for $1 a piece. They're all bootleg copies downloaded and burned onto CD's and DVD's. It's the same with movies. Or those guys selling "Rolex" watches in the street. Are the companies that assembled the originals making any money from that? Of course not! But you're still finding the money to pay for it.

But forget all that, because it's pointless arguing where neither side will ever win or lose. If you want to defend piracy try this on for size. No more demos or shareware. Remember when you can try out part of the game then decide whether or not to buy it? With publishers abandoning that model what other choice do you have but illegally downloading the game and trying it out? Rely on paid previews? Yeah right. If a game doesn't have a demo I'll wait as long as it takes for the price to come down to under $10 before I take the plunge. I can afford $50+, but I'm not going to be stupid and throw it away. And I have the patience to wait and not lower myself to pirating a more than likely glitchy piece of shit.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMad Max RW, on 20 May 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

That's something you can never prove. You're too focused on pirated = downloaded, where that is only a portion of software piracy. Your logic is flawed. If you can afford to pay for an internet connection to download gigabytes worth of data at a time then you can afford to go out and buy the game. A huge chunk of software piracy is attributed to bootleg versions sold in foreign countries or the western black market. For example, if I wanted I can go to Chinatown in NYC and pick up all the latest games for $1 a piece. They're all bootleg copies downloaded and burned onto CD's and DVD's. It's the same with movies. Or those guys selling "Rolex" watches in the street. Are the companies that assembled the originals making any money from that? Of course not! But you're still finding the money to pay for it.

I'm focused on the lame excuse from developers lamenting that piracy is the reason for their failure. If people buy a game for a dollar, then it's only worth to them one dollar, and nothing more. And if they had a broadband connection, they would not go to China Town.
Music. The more songs get stolen on the web, the more sales are up in stores and iTune. Why? I think, if it's a good song most people will pay for it. - As for a faked Rolllexxx, come to Jamaica, dude, you can get a 'real' one for an egg and loaf, and I know watches, you peeps in NYC are getting ripped off by pirates. Lol.

View PostMad Max RW, on 20 May 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

But forget all that, because it's pointless arguing where neither side will ever win or lose. If you want to defend piracy try this on for size. No more demos or shareware. Remember when you can try out part of the game then decide whether or not to buy it? With publishers abandoning that model what other choice do you have but illegally downloading the game and trying it out? Rely on paid previews? Yeah right. If a game doesn't have a demo I'll wait as long as it takes for the price to come down to under $10 before I take the plunge. I can afford $50+, but I'm not going to be stupid and throw it away. And I have the patience to wait and not lower myself to pirating a more than likely glitchy piece of shit.

With this part, you lost me. What are you saying? So I repeat, I'm not into piracy but also have a deaf ear for those 'poor' developers. If your games sucks, it sucks, don't tell me the world is mean and did not buy your crappy game

Added I forgot
You can get a free, legal, download of Grand Theft Auto II - best anti piracy campaign I can think off. Rockstar are winners, so is id Software, with their free stuff.

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I believe software should be treated as a material object from a legal standpoint. Just because it isn't doesn't mean it is right.
If you didn't pay for it, you are a criminal for experiencing it in my opinion.

To me, pirating software is no different than stealing a car.
When you buy a car or any other material object, you are paying for the right to experience it.
When you by a game you are paying for the right to experience it.
Just because it isn't material makes no difference. The car just involves more cost for actual physical materials, but you are paying for the labor and engineering still.

That is the flaw in the pro-piracy logic in my opinion.

If you can't or don't pay for the hard work and creation of others, and they didn't give it to you personally, it is stealing.

There is no gray area regardless of the semantics of the legalities or peoples convenient interpretation of stealing software.

I don't give a damn if it is a lost sale or not... you didn't earn the right to experience their hard work. If you bought a physical copy second hand, at least that one copy was originally sold to the benefit of the authors.

Re-sale of an existing game is more related to property rights because you own the physical media and it would be impractical to control, which is probably why digital distribution will dominate eventually I believe.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 20 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   zwieback 

once again, i agree with MrBlackCat said.

I'm a bit drunk right now and my sentences might be a bit fucked up.

the whole "it's too expensive" stuff is a joke. Why? Look at the iphone. Piracy is damn big there - and the apps only cost a few bucks.
the whole "it's not worth it" argument is a joke. Why? Do you steal a chair made from a carpenter because you think it is not worth it? No. You won't. You won't because it is not of any worth to you.
i could go on.

i own a software dev. company - we develop iphone, ipad games and commercial windows apps. The fun thing is, that the tools are made to make money and still the guys pirate it like hell.
On one product more than 80% of the users out there are using the cracked version. It got so bad, that the cracked versions outranked our software sales page on google. we are almost doing no more sales at all. It's not even the case that the software is expensive. People are using it like hell and are doing great by using it. Still they don't pay for it. While our sales are about 10 per month, we can't afford develop new versions or patches in the way we want.
Another thing: Thanks to the pirates which are using a very outdated version that doesn't work with most online services anymore - the reputation of the product also went downhill. Those little fuckers are on forums and flame against the tool claiming the tool isn't working (which is absolutly not true).

Developers are real people with real jobs that are doing real work. Don't fool yourself by talking yourself into something that isn't true. Stealing software is bad.
If you like a game, buy it. Do it for your own good.

Now please don't vote me down for saying the truth.

good night

- zwieback out

This post has been edited by zwieback: 20 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Stewox 

View Postzwieback, on 20 May 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

once again, i agree with MrBlackCat said.

I'm a bit drunk right now and my sentences might be a bit fucked up.

the whole "it's too expensive" stuff is a joke. Why? Look at the iphone. Piracy is damn big there - and the apps only cost a few bucks.
the whole "it's not worth it" argument is a joke. Why? Do you steal a chair made from a carpenter because you think it is not worth it? No. You won't. You won't because it is not of any worth to you.
i could go on.

i own a software dev. company - we develop iphone, ipad games and commercial windows apps. The fun thing is, that the tools are made to make money and still the guys pirate it like hell.
On one product more than 80% of the users out there are using the cracked version. It got so bad, that the cracked versions outranked our software sales page on google. we are almost doing no more sales at all. It's not even the case that the software is expensive. People are using it like hell and are doing great by using it. Still they don't pay for it. While our sales are about 10 per month, we can't afford develop new versions or patches in the way we want.
Another thing: Thanks to the pirates which are using a very outdated version that doesn't work with most online services anymore - the reputation of the product also went downhill. Those little fuckers are on forums and flame against the tool claiming the tool isn't working (which is absolutly not true).

Developers are real people with real jobs that are doing real work. Don't fool yourself by talking yourself into something that isn't true. Stealing software is bad.
If you like a game, buy it. Do it for your own good.

good night

- zwieback out

damn i decided to skip this firday :)

agreed ... btw

User is offline   Hank 

View Postzwieback, on 20 May 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

good night

- zwieback out

Drunk or not, does the Apple Store not protect their developers? :)

I do AutoCAD stuff. We are very much protected. It's bundled, and we get our cut every three month. There are illegal version out there, but one has a hope in hell making money with it. So the pirates sell your stuff - that is terrible news! When you're back to normal, make a new post please. :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostHank, on 20 May 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

I do AutoCAD stuff. We are very much protected. It's bundled, and we get our cut every three month. There are illegal version out there, but one has a hope in hell making money with it. So the pirates sell your stuff - that is terrible news! When you're back to normal, make a new post please. :D

I don't think piracy is such a problem with software like AutoCAD and Adobe CS. Professionals who work with those big software packages are making money by doing real stuff, piracy usually isn't even an option for them or they might damage their lifetime reputation or the whole company they work for. The amount of pirated copies for those software packages exceeds the amount of legal copies by far, but those users are either kids, students, trainees, or other people who won't make real money out of their works.

And comparing the ownership of a car with the ownership of a videogame is something you'd have be careful with. If you buy a car you will own the physical material, that will be your property. The same goes for a game distributed through retail. You own the physical material that makes up your product, the biggest difference is more in the product description. It's highly unlikely that you 'pirate' any of the car makers properties if you use a car, while there are of course patents and properties on car designs. The game on the other hand, highly relies on properties, patents, and user rights, and the publisher rarely cares about the physical part of the product and how people handle 2nd hand copies, etc.

Oh, and I never pirate any of my games and software. I used to pirate some PC games as a kid, but I've seen the importance of software developement for years now and respect all of it. It's just that we have to be careful with the claims the overall multimedia industry likes to make in regards of piracy. Just remember that big companies want big money, and the court plays a big role in that. If they see the slightest hole in the law that could lead to millions being made by injecting false claims about 'lost profit' and such, they'll take that chance! That doesn't mean piracy is no problem at all, just that the problem isn't as largescale as some want you to believe.

User is offline   z0mb1e 

View PostHank, on 20 May 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

AFAIK they do, but It's easy to get around. I've never owned any apple device so I can't say for myself, but a friend of mine recently jailbroke his ipod, and told me how easy it was to do and to get the apps for free.

This post has been edited by z0mb1e: 21 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postz0mb1e, on 21 May 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

AFAIK they do, but It's easy to get around. I've never owned any apple device so I can't say for myself, but a friend of mine recently jailbroke his ipod, and told me how easy it was to do and to get the apps for free.

Shame Apple. That's all I can say. :)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMrBlackCat, on 20 May 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

I believe software should be treated as a material object from a legal standpoint. Just because it isn't doesn't mean it is right.
If you didn't pay for it, you are a criminal for experiencing it in my opinion.

To me, pirating software is no different than stealing a car.

I find this argument to be fundamentally flawed; if you steal someone's car, you're depriving them of use of their own property (or depriving a dealership of the potential to sell it) whereas if you pirate software, you're not depriving anyone of anything. You aren't depriving the developer of a sale, because someone pirating something is very unlikely to have considered actually purchasing it in the first place.

Since you don't get the physical aspects of the game (the disc, the manual if it exists, the box, any extras), at worst you're cheating a service like GameFly out of the couple bucks you would have to pay to legally experience a game you don't actually own, especially since most people who pirate a game or whatever end up just playing it once and deleting it.

I agree with TX that stealing software is different than stealing a car. When you pirate a game, you actually don't hurt anyone, though you take away the chance of developers to gain the money that they could have gained.

Though it is still as naughty as stealing a car to steal software.

User is offline   zwieback 

holyshit @ my yesterdays post :)

@hank: yes, pirates sell the stuff - They have subscription based forums, where you sign up and pay money to get access. Once they let you in, you gain access to a wild variety of cracked software. There are also sites that sell the software almost at the original price, but you will get the cracked version.
Of course you can download the software from the usual places for free too.

We learned from it and our software is now protected by a b4d@$$ drm - so far uncracked (fingers crossed).

For the apple stuff: Jailbreaking and installing a tool like appolous is damn simple. every fool can do it, once he knows about it :D

This post has been edited by zwieback: 21 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJhect, on 21 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

Not even close. Copyright infringement is legally completely separated from regular theft and larceny for a reason. Downloading some files is definitely nowhere near as bad as grand theft auto. :)

User is offline   Alithinos 

I think most people that pirate games are little kids that can't afford original games, and their parents won't buy them the number of games they want.
So lets say its parent will be willing to buy 3 or 5 games a year for its child,but the child want 10 or 15 games a year.. The kids will just pirate the rest.

Now grown ups are little different.
Many people pirate games just to try them out,or instead of renting them.
The fact that the demos we get are less is one factor,while the other one is the quality/quantity.
Today's games are generally shorter and problematic.
When a full game in 2010 longs as much as a demo of the late 1990s there is a problem.
Most of today's games don't get demos,because they are so short there is not enough content to include in a demo!
And if that short of a game is full of bugs and glitches and it's like playing an unfinished product,that worsen the things even more.

Personally I don't pirate games,I don't even bother downloading them for free,because most of the times it's so much of a hassle that it just not worth it.
I might be very selective and have high standards,but I don't see the reason to pay for most of today's games.
I only buy a few that I now they are good.
For example for the whole year of 2011 I'll only buy 3 games: Duke Nukem Forever,Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.
I only buy the best 'cause I believe they worth it.
And I'll pay full price to support the people who made them,so they can keep making more good games.
That doesn't mean that I pirate other games,I just think they are so short or bad I would only play them in a friend's house or if I win a free copy.

And I can't be the only person in this planet that does the same..

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 21 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

View PostTX, on 21 May 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I find this argument to be fundamentally flawed; if you steal someone's car, you're depriving them of use of their own property (or depriving a dealership of the potential to sell it) whereas if you pirate software, you're not depriving anyone of anything. You aren't depriving the developer of a sale, because someone pirating something is very unlikely to have considered actually purchasing it in the first place.

Since you don't get the physical aspects of the game (the disc, the manual if it exists, the box, any extras), at worst you're cheating a service like GameFly out of the couple bucks you would have to pay to legally experience a game you don't actually own, especially since most people who pirate a game or whatever end up just playing it once and deleting it.
I wasn't really arguing what you just stated... relative to deprivation. Deprivation is an aspect I would agree on that is not the same. I will explain below what I meant by stating I believe they should be treated the same. More accurately, I should say I think they should be handled the same, not that they are the same. I will explain though.
The aspect I was focusing on is that the person should not be able to experience the game because that is its purpose... that is why software is made, to experience. We pay to play it.. if you don't pay, you should not be able to play it.

When material replication becomes a reality, it will make more sense. If I could duplicate the "car" with a machine, I have stolen the engineering and development. The material costs are only part of it. Because technically we are "rebuilding" the experience on our own equipment, we are stealing all the engineering and hard work of individuals. Essentially we are duplicating an experience with our own hardware.
Invent something non-physical as an investment and have it copied without compensation and see if you still think this way. I really don't think you will.

View PostJhect, on 21 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

I agree with TX that stealing software is different than stealing a car. When you pirate a game, you actually don't hurt anyone, though you take away the chance of developers to gain the money that they could have gained.

It isn't about "hurting anyone" or "potential loss" it is about experiencing something you didn't pay for. That is wrong and again, there is no gray area.

Unless I want to give my game away, or my song, or my fragrance, or whatever I "created"... if I have a business, it should not reach your senses if you didn't pay for it.

This is probably getting too idealistic and far from the point anyway. And it is just my belief and how I choose to live. I don't believe in putting prices on crimes, and most do not understand this concept.

My argument isn't about "to what degree" a theft is, it is about the concept of earning the right to experience the art or works of another.

By the above logic it is perfectly ok to sneak into a movie theater and watch a movie you didn't pay for, the only difference is that with piracy there is seldom any punishment. Would the argument "Well I would not have paid to see this movie anyway, so it didn't hurt anyone." work in a theater? Not likely... they would still throw you out.

View PostTX, on 21 May 2011 - 10:31 AM, said:

Not even close. Copyright infringement is legally completely separated from regular theft and larceny for a reason. Downloading some files is definitely nowhere near as bad as grand theft auto. :)
Copyright infringement is legally separated from "regular theft" because they aren't based on the same principles... I believe piracy should be moved over to "regular theft"... but it most likely will not because of what I view as flaws in the legal system. Mostly being money based and suffering from Price-Tagging of crimes rather than having any intended function of stopping crime.
I know for a fact the price of traffic fines is set to only deter them to a point so they can be used as a source of revenue. They are NOT set to stop speeding. In the city near where I live they lowered the fines because they were losing revenue based on volume. I saw this with my own eyes, in this context. Talks were brought about to ask insurance companies to relax a bit on raising insurance rates for speeding tickets as this was also realized as a deterrent. Due to lack of cooperation with the insurance companies, the eventual result was to increase non-moving violation ticket volumes. Whole other thread though... moving on.

I don't believe piracy is just as bad as Grand Theft Auto but because of this...

The difference in our views is simple... I don't view crimes as objects with monetary price tags... I view them as "behaviors to be stopped". My action and what I believe to be right is to raise the punishment for a crime until the behavior stops. Start with politely asking and work your way up through fines, then jail time or whatever works... all the way to a bullet in the head to stop the behavior, if that is what it takes... for a pack of gum or a game you didn't pay for. Because it isn't about the pack of gum or the game, it is about the principle that it isn't your gum... or your game in this case. Another miss-understanding with this concept is that very many people ever GET to the point of a bullet in the head. The vast majority only commits crimes because of the degree of punishment associated. If they KNOW you can get shot for stealing gum, it is no surprise gum theft becomes almost non-existent. If speeding tickets came with a beating and no fine, or a good tazing, or if a ticket was $2000, speeding would all but stop... but it isn't about stopping it. It is about money.

I don't expect anyone to agree or understand as most of us were raised in societies around the world that put prices and degrees on crimes, rather than enforcing principles. But I just wanted to state why I view it as I do.

Above statements not necessarily associated with the above quotes, and it is nothing personal with any of the above quotes.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DN4EVR 

Not every law is just, Mr Black Cat, and not all crimes are as severe as one another, hence differing levels of punishment.

Also if I could DL a car I wouldn't be taking the bus...i'd be riding around in my new Ferrari. :)

:D

View PostDN4EVR, on 21 May 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not every law is just, Mr Black Cat, and not all crimes are as severe as one another, hence differing levels of punishment.

Also if I could DL a car I wouldn't be taking the bus...i'd be riding around in my new Ferrari. :(

:D
I have never suggested even a small percentage of laws are just. <?> :)
I never suggested all crimes are as severe as one another... and that there should not be different levels of punishment.

I believe in what works... I don't believe in fines... unless they work. I believe in punishments that work. The ones we have now do not work well.

We are really talking about two things though... first is that people think it is ok to steal (pirate) software and other electronic media. Second is that until people realize/admit that it is stealing, no laws will be made to prevent it.

I guess really there is a third issue I realize... with the current legal system in the US at least, there would just be some fine put on the crime that really isn't a deterrent anyway. But we won't get to this point for years anyway.

In the end:
I see piracy as a crime... others don't and we will not likely ever agree. :D
I see that most crimes related to this thread exist due to lack of punishment that would deter them.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DN4EVR 

No, in the end we should realize that we don't need to add yet more people into the overburdened prison system over stupid shite like pirating the latest Lady Gaga CD.

View PostDN4EVR, on 21 May 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

No, in the end we should realize that we don't need to add yet more people into the overburdened prison system over stupid shite like pirating the latest Lady Gaga CD.

Lady Gaga looks like a pirated person to me :)

But anyway, I agree with what has been said that software piracy is not depriving somebody of his software and I also partly agree with the idea that by pirating you are not depriving somebody of a sale.
I believe that people who pirate software in general can also find themselves in need of an app/game that would actually force them to buy it if it's not pirated anywhere.
If a certain app or game would not already be pirated and available for free on the net, some people that desperately need that app might actually find themselves forced to buy it even though they practice piracy on a daily basis and never buy anything.
Like somebody said above, in order for apps to sell they need to be unique and very useful and their official sites need to be the first google entry when you search for their name.
The more "get "x" app free here" or " "x" app download links" entries come on the first google search page, people that would otherwise be forced to buy the app because they need it, will rather get it free by scrolling down on the google search result page.

This theory is also directed related to the reason for which more and more publishers and game developers rather release a game on the consoles first without announcing any plans for a pc version, just to have them announce a pc version one year later after the game has already shown it's sales potential on the harder to pirate consoles.
They even go so far as to say that a pc version will not exist, just so that people that desperately want a game, won't wait one year for it to come on pc and just pirate it then.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 22 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

User is offline   Martin 

The whole 'First Access Club' fiasco was a pure money-making exercise and nothing more. What do you get for your purchase of Borderlands GOTY? Some crappy jpegs and a demo, which by rights you should have just gotten without having to pay for it. Due to this, I am totally in favour of piracy with regards to the DNF demo. We all know how long the wait has been, and to make us fans pay extra for the demo to this mythical game is really just Gearbox taking advantage of us, because they know many of us will pay that extra fee. The FAC pictures all got leaked pretty instantly, and now the demo is out there. Bravo to whoever leaked it. My friend has a jtagged 360, might get him to download DNF.

I'm still on the fence as to what format to get. I'd like to get it for PS3, but it scares me whenever a company shows zero PS3 media. Kinda suggests that it sucks. Not even sure if I'm going to bother getting the game at launch. The more I see of it, the more it doesn't look like a full-price game. May wait until Christmas and get it cheap.

"The more I see of it, the more it doesn't look like a full-price game. May wait until Christmas and get it cheap."

Lol they haven't even shown a lot of it. Don't be silly, if you think that then you are not Dukeducated.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 22 May 2011 - 03:56 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postzwieback, on 21 May 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

holyshit @ my yesterdays post :)

@hank: yes, pirates sell the stuff - They have subscription based forums, where you sign up and pay money to get access. Once they let you in, you gain access to a wild variety of cracked software. There are also sites that sell the software almost at the original price, but you will get the cracked version.
Of course you can download the software from the usual places for free too.

We learned from it and our software is now protected by a b4d@$ drm - so far uncracked (fingers crossed).

For the apple stuff: Jailbreaking and installing a tool like appolous is damn simple. every fool can do it, once he knows about it :D

I searched this. The US Government sanctioned Apple's Jailbreaking fiasco, that why I wanted another topic.
Anyway - all the best.

@ DN4VER NO jail terms for pirates. Fuck that. Clean their bank account and give it to the needy.

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 May 2011 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If you are producing something, and you are selling 20 copies of it and you find out that there are 2000 copies in circulation due to pirates, then you are going to be royally pissed off.

After a short while, you are going to be asking yourself why you are doing what you are doing if there is no money coming in.

As zwieback said, you are not just paying for the disk itself, you are paying a portion of the salaries of those who worked to make it and distribute it. If they don't make any money due to piracy, they won't be able to make any more of what you like as nobody has actually given them the money to do it. Studios and factories will close if it gets really out of hand.

Anyone who is telling themselves that it isn't really stealling is just fooling themselves.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 22 May 2011 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Since when did this become a sticky? There was already a post by Yatta explaining the whole "don't support piracy" deal, and when DNF comes out in less than two weeks this thread is going to be long since forgotten and redundant.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options