Duke4.net Forums: What date do you think the DNF demo will be released on? - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What date do you think the DNF demo will be released on?

User is offline   ch108 

View PostLuther Blissett, on 23 April 2011 - 11:55 PM, said:

Bulletstorm demo came out a month before the retail game. I either misunderstood what you meant or you were in a coma between January 26 and Feb 22.

Sorry I mean the PC demo which came out after, as zwieback mentioned.

User is offline   Raziel 

Well, I was expecting to play the FULL game on the 6th of May, so they better make sure they at least get the demo into my hands by that date or I'm going to be one pissed mother f*cker. On that note, I say May 3rd (original shipping date for the US).

User is offline   Johnny 

No Demo-News before May!? Oh, that's not good...

I'm really pist-off :-(

View PostJohnny, on 29 April 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

No Demo-News before May!? Oh, that's not good...

I'm really pist-off :-(

Why are you so eager to spoil the game with a shitty demo?
Why not wait for the full game to get released?

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 April 2011 - 08:01 AM, said:

Because i used to "spoil" my games with demos back in the early 90's on PC. I remember downloading the doom "leaked" beta too! I remember it was the cool thing to do.

Is it not anymore?

Or were you sarcastic and the joke is on me?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I can't wait for the demo. It isn't going to spoil shit! I'll just get a preview of whats to come and multiplayer goodness.

For me, it'll just get me amped up more and make things better.

This post has been edited by Descent: 29 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

View PostLuther Blissett, on 29 April 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

Because i used to "spoil" my games with demos back in the early 90's on PC. I remember downloading the doom "leaked" beta too! I remember it was the cool thing to do.

Is it not anymore?

Or were you sarcastic and the joke is on me?

I don't know if it's cool or not anymore, you tell me because it was cool for you it seems.
I did play the shareware versions back then too but it did not necessarily seem cool or uncool to do that. I preferred to play the full versions much more than sharewares back then too.
I don't really see what so cool about playing demos first, especially since all demos are usually inferior to the final product.
I would much rather sink my teeth into the final product for the first time and not to ruin my appetite with a small piece first.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

My bet is somewhere in May. If they released it in June, for some of us, we paid for the First Access Club back in February or whenever Borderlands GOTY came out (not that I actually played it. Just wanted in the FAC). So that would be a little late. I'm still betting on a May release date.

User is offline   HoTel Hell 

If it does not get released in May then there's something wrong here.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 April 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

I don't know if it's cool or not anymore, you tell me because it was cool for you it seems.
I did play the shareware versions back then too but it did not necessarily seem cool or uncool to do that. I preferred to play the full versions much more than sharewares back then too.
I don't really see what so cool about playing demos first, especially since all demos are usually inferior to the final product.
I would much rather sink my teeth into the final product for the first time and not to ruin my appetite with a small piece first.

What i mean is...usually shareware came up a LOT sooner than the game ( sometimes even 4-5 months before you could order the full product) wasn't that cool?

Or the Kingpin demo? That was "almost" shareware as big as it was! And it came out so early! It was fucking awesome and not only for me , i remember people on the early webz and bbses rushing out to try it.

And by Doom leaked beta i didn't mean the shareware, i meant the completely unstable beta in which you can see your mates play cards before hell is unleashed , actually you have to skip levels and such but beta is a beta and i sure was happy.

Didn't you try out the Quake 1 MP test? or the Q3 mp tests? They both came out several months before the full games and i remember i was not the only one excited for them.

View PostLuther Blissett, on 29 April 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

What i mean is...usually shareware came up a LOT sooner than the game ( sometimes even 4-5 months before you could order the full product) wasn't that cool?

Or the Kingpin demo? That was "almost" shareware as big as it was! And it came out so early! It was fucking awesome and not only for me , i remember people on the early webz and bbses rushing out to try it.

And by Doom leaked beta i didn't mean the shareware, i meant the completely unstable beta in which you can see your mates play cards before hell is unleashed , actually you have to skip levels and such but beta is a beta and i sure was happy.

Didn't you try out the Quake 1 MP test? or the Q3 mp tests? They both came out several months before the full games and i remember i was not the only one excited for them.

I did get Quake Mp test back then sure and I did like that shareware came out much earlier than the games, but I am saying is that I didn't find them special for any other reason than that and I always wished that I could get the full versions faster.
In today's shitty industry where demos are just half assed shitty versions of the full game, I much rather wait for the final game than ruin the experience with a demo.
If I really want a true demo of the said game, I rather use torrents and produce shareware for myself :dukegoof:
I did however enjoy the Half life Uplink demo that was an entirely different level that never actually existed in the final game.
I always enjoyed demos for games that don't show gameplay from the actual full version but rather have their own setting made especially for the demo.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 30 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 30 April 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

I did get Quake Mp test back then sure and I did like that shareware came out much earlier than the games...

I did however enjoy the Half life Uplink demo that was an entirely different level that never actually existed in the final game.
I always enjoyed demos for games that don't show gameplay from the actual full version but rather have their own setting made especially for the demo.

I don't know about Half life, never played it, but I totally agree with you on this...

I liked this better than most shareware. I can't name them off hand, but I have several old demos that worked just this way I had forgotten about.

Just like tech demos more so than "here is a piece of the game that is lower quality then the final version will be"

With the Quake MP test, it was different though... it was a clear cut tech test demo. I don't think it spoiled or took away from Quake final product in any way.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   Hank 

... because, a demo is free and I can decide if the actual game is any good ?!? - Now we have 40 days left, for Demo to VIP, demo to the all others and the actual game. The whole thing is called killing time Posted Image

User is offline   muskydragon 

• Yatta is a dictator! :)

No news still! Seriously GEARBOX!!

Looks like they want to calm us down with some console goodness and papercrafts. Don't think that will work for long.

I was a firm believer on sept 3rd.

I am now really skeptic about this. What the hell is they want? less than 40 days to release and we still don't have an HD gameplay section with dev commentary, a demo , a site FILLED with content ( not one JUST starting to get some up ).

I am afraid they ll delay this again next week.

User is offline   Johnny 

Everything New makes the May, i would say. It's only an proverb.

View PostLuther Blissett, on 01 May 2011 - 02:43 AM, said:

I was a firm believer on sept 3rd.

I am now really skeptic about this. What the hell is they want? less than 40 days to release and we still don't have an HD gameplay section with dev commentary, a demo , a site FILLED with content ( not one JUST starting to get some up ).

I am afraid they ll delay this again next week.

Until now I would say that this game has all the signs of an ill production that scares gearbox and 2k very much.
If I would have to make a random guess, I would say that the reason why we still don't see HD gameplay sections on gamesites is simply because either gearbox or 2k rather take the safe way and keep the game hidden until the moment you spend your money on it and it gets into your house.
To me it has all the ingredients found in a stereotypical attempt to sell a product that they know for sure it will be hated for one reason or the other.
So they just made a few trailers where they showed the game from a nice angle, exactly like a fat girl takes a picture of her at an impossible angle so she looks slim and sexy on those lame dating sites.
I know this because at one point I've heard inside info on ubisoft's strategy of publishing some games that they are not happy with. So to me this this shows that some companies do apply this strategy and it somewhat benefits their sales.
The strategy is to simply show a few decent looking things and then not show anything until the very last second.

They better start exposing their game just like they exposed borderlands much before release, otherwise I am calling sneaky marketing on this one...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostMr.Deviance, on 01 May 2011 - 07:06 AM, said:

Until now I would say that this game has all the signs of an ill production that scares gearbox and 2k very much.
If I would have to make a random guess, I would say that the reason why we still don't see HD gameplay sections on gamesites is simply because either gearbox or 2k rather take the safe way and keep the game hidden until the moment you spend your money on it and it gets into your house.
To me it has all the ingredients found in a stereotypical attempt to sell a product that they know for sure it will be hated for one reason or the other.

Sure, that's why the only bad writeup I could find post-PAX was a guy from XBox magazine (LOL) who didn't even play the game.

View PostDescent, on 01 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

Sure, that's why the only bad writeup I could find post-PAX was a guy from XBox magazine (LOL) who didn't even play the game.

Time will tell who's right... Let's hope I will be proven wrong for the sake of all duke fans including myself.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

At least this is not in the cartridge and CD ROM days... as long as there isn't a major design problem with the game, at LEAST they can fix it for consoles and PC now. That is how I am looking at it.

A relative was showing me how much the change and update games he has for the PS3... sometimes changing major things about the game with patches etc.

So I am not worried about problems with the game. Think about the guy who reported that Game Crashes for the Nintendo DS version of Duke Nukem: Critical Mass. They are just screwed... if that is true, they are completely screwed. It will be f'd up forever.

So I am not worried...

MrBlackCat

The demo will be crucial for people like me, who may need to upgrade their graphics card etc..for the PC version.

It will also allow me to see if there's much of a benefit to playing it on the PC versus my console. (Mainly graphically)

The earlier the demo is released, the earlier i can make up my mind and order the parts to have my PC ready for the release of the full game.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 01 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

And btw, if this demo is released 30 days before the actual game, i'll be very happy, that seems fair to me.
In fact I wouldn't expect it any sooner really, although it would be nice if it was released on the games original release date.

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 01 May 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

And btw, if this demo is released 30 days before the actual game, i'll be very happy, that seems fair to me.
In fact I wouldn't expect it any sooner really, although it would be nice if it was released on the games original release date.

only time can tell, myself im a bit worried

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 01 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

If the Demo is not released by next Sunday. WORRY!

;) so far nothing, not good

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

The game is done (just certification left) and the PC system requirements have been revealed. Isn't that something.

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 04 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostFox Mulder, on 03 May 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

The game it's done(just certification left) and the PC system requirements have been revealed. Isn't that something.

2 things required before a demo can drop.

Demo news is next.

okay guys game done! seriously just cut and paste code to make demo! it's not that hard!

User is offline   Sebastian 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 May 2011 - 10:44 PM, said:

okay guys game done! seriously just cut and paste code to make demo! it's not that hard!

Someone should make a meme out of this.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options