Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D Vertical Sprite Command - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D Vertical Sprite Command  "Sprite Keeps Following Player When Vertically Placed"

User is offline   Nukester10 

Notice I tried to create this ledge by using sprites.I had no problem when I created the floors of the ledge,
but notice, once I stood up the sprite by cycling through the 'R' key.Once I got the sprite to stand up vertically
the way I wanted it to.Right away I noticed that the sprite kept following me.Is there a command to keep the sprite
from moving around "facing you"so to speak,so that you can position it properly against this ledge?

Posted Image

I'd really like to mention one other thing,If your wondering why that ledge has a hole in the wall behind it.
That's because originally before I went this root your looking at,I tried High Treason's tutorial trick on creating
a ledge by simply grabbing the 2 outside vertices and pulling them inside towards the street.It didn't quite
work out though.Once I went into 3D mode,mapster32 immediately had problems drawing out most of the ledge
and once I ran into it.The cursor trailed off and most of the screen the cursor was under became whacked out. Parallaxed looking.If you've played around with Build or mapster32 long enough and you run into drawing problems like what I'm describing,I'm pretty sure you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 13 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

What the heck,

You either have the sprite follow you/wall aligned/floor aligned.
You seem to have missed the WALL ALIGNED cstat.
It needs a cstat of 17, not 1 like it shows me in your above image. Press "R" one more time on it.

Also, ledges are quite possible using the hack. Just don't let the player try to get on it.
Posted Image

And this should also answer your question that you don't need the HRP to do this, where ever you read that I do not know.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 13 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostThe Commander, on 13 April 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

It needs a cstat of 17

Yeah,I fixed it, Thanks
The funny thing was,if I ran this in mapster32 and moved around on it.
You would immediately notice sprite tearing but yet running under eduke32,there was no
sprite tearing at all.Is it possible to join the edges of these sprites together?
Posted Image

Also, ledges are quite possible using the hack. Just don't let the player try to get on it.

Yeah,but why would anybody want to create a ledge the player can't run around on?

And this should also answer your question that you don't need the HRP to do this, where ever you read that I do not know.

HRP!? What in the heck are you talking about?Where was HRP mentioned in this thread?
Sounds to me like your confusing this thread with another titled,"Importing Models Into eduke32".
BTW,if you want to talk about that thread.Looking at the pic you got here.I guess the only question
I can think of off the top of my head would be.Where in the heck is there a model in your pic?Because
basically,that's what what that thread was all about?Not using HRP to do a hack trick?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostNukester10, on 13 April 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

Yeah,I fixed it, Thanks
The funny thing was,if I ran this in mapster32 and moved around on it.
You would immediately notice sprite tearing but yet running under eduke32,there was no
sprite tearing at all.Is it possible to join the edges of these sprites together?

That is because you are using a differnt texture filtering mode in mapster than what you are in eduke, you need to edit your mapster32.cfg on the line "gltexfiltermode = #"
The number range from 1-5 I believe, play around with that.

Yeah,but why would anybody want to create a ledge the player can't run around on?

It's a thing called decoration, and you can have the player run around on it if you imply some more mapster hacks. (But I am not going to go into this here)

HRP!? What in the heck are you talking about?Where was HRP mentioned in this thread?
Sounds to me like your confusing this thread with another titled,"Importing Models Into eduke32".
BTW,if you want to talk about that thread.Looking at the pic you got here.I guess the only question
I can think of off the top of my head would be.Where in the heck is there a model in your pic?Because
basically,that's what what that thread was all about?Not using HRP to do a hack trick?

No, you keep going on about it in the thread I made and taking the thread right off topic.

View PostNukester10, on 12 April 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

The only "ror" term I've ever heard of before is "Room Over Room"Is that what your referring to?
Somebody already told me you could do this in mapster32 only if you had hrp installed,is this true?

This post has been edited by The Commander: 13 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

View PostThe Commander, on 13 April 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

That is because you are using a differnt texture filtering mode in mapster than what you are in eduke, you need to edit your mapster32.cfg on the line "gltexfiltermode = #"
The number range from 1-5 I believe, play around with that.

In mapster32.cfg I originally noticed the setting was at gltexfiltermode = 2
Next I changed it like you described to settings 1,3,4 and finally 5 and viewed
this map within mapster32 and everytime you get close to the ledge, this tearing still happens.

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 13 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

What tearing are you talking about exactly? Something like that?

Posted Image

If so, that's probably because Mapster32 doesn't use VSync whereas EDuke32 does.

View PostPlagman, on 13 April 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

What tearing are you talking about exactly? Something like that?

Ha Ha that's funny,all I saw was two words "Posted Image" and I didn't know what in heck
you where talking about until I copied and pasted within the address bar,then I was able to see it.
Once I backed up and saw your post again there was the picture again,hmmmmm strange but anyhow,

Yeah sorta like that pic you got there.Within mapster32.Just facing it for example,noticeable square or triangle shaped tearing would occur.Square shaped on the top and bottom of the ledge.Triangle shaped along the corners.The interesting thing that occurred was if you moved the cursor around the screen,like away from the ledge then there wouldn't be any tearing. But,once you brought the cursor close to the ledge, tearing would immediately show again.It would also show if you moved in on the ledge with the directional keys as well.Why this is happening I don't know,It's like something is interfering with the texture filter but I'm only guessing.

View PostPlagman, on 13 April 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

If so, that's probably because Mapster32 doesn't use VSync whereas EDuke32 does.

Now where your going with this,I don't have a clue.Did you note what Commander said in his post above about adjusting the number range 1-5 for gltexfiltermode?I attempted that and it didn't fix anything.Now are you trying to suggest adjusting the VSync within the eduke32 cfg? Or what?

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 13 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Can you grab a screenshot of the problem? F12 should do that.

View PostPlagman, on 13 April 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Can you grab a screenshot of the problem? F12 should do that.

Yeah sure,here we have an example of triangular shaped tearing on the corner of that ledge.
Actually the triangle shape is correct,it's all the space to the right of this sprite that's
tearing and incorrect.It would be hard describing to anyone what shape that is so just calling this
triangular shaped tearing makes it all the more understandable.

Posted Image

Note,If I immediately moved to the left or right,the sprite tearing would disappear,instantly.

Now looking underneath this same ledge but using sprites from earlier on.Can you see the square shaped sprite tearing in this pic?

Posted Image

Anyhow, I will point out the square shaped sprite tearing I happen to notice to you right now,

Posted Image

If you angled yourself above this same ledge and positioned yourself just right.
You would also have noticed square shaped tearing like in the pic above.Unlike what I described
as triangular shaped tearing in the first pic.The square shaped tearing I'm describing to you now,actually
Is square shaped sprite tearing in it's true form.

Finally,in this last pic.We now have a 2D Grid Topview of this same ledge.

Posted Image

Why am I showing this pic as well?Notice how close at least the top ledge sprite is,
as well as the side sprites to the "Redline" the white arrow is resting on.
I was wondering maybe,just maybe the close proximity of these sprites to
the redline itself.Actually may be the interference that's causing the sprite
tearing all together to begin with but I'm not sure.Maybe someone else knows
and would like to comment on what they think may be the culprit?

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 13 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   Wolf 

It seems like you're seeing the sprites above the one you're looking at. You can hit the 1 button on the keyboard when pointing at the top sprites to make them 1-sided, so you won't see the bottoms of the sprites when viewing from below, etc.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 13 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options