Duke4.net Forums: Issues with new theme - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Issues with new theme

User is offline   Honza 

Yatta, on 03 April 2011 - 08:29 PM, said:

Have you tried other browsers (if possible)?

Opera Mobile 10.00 for PPC work fine (even with compression), but page load is terribly slow (15s+). IE Mobile on my Windows Mobile 6.1 has some graphics glitches (some images are not renderred correctly) plus it's terribly slow. Netfront 4.0 seems to be doing best job (no glitches and good speed). Tested on HSDPA (cca 2Mbps download). However I'd love to be able to browse these forums on Opera mini ;). Does anyone else same problems?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

While searching for a member's posts or topic through the profile only the latest are displayed and there are no buttons to see further pages with previous contributions.

The Sign In field should be more prominent than Register Now!. I click the wrong one almost every second time. ;)

EDIT:
When editing a posting the attachments can't be managed.
The file extension crashlog is forbidden for attachments.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 07 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Don't consider this important as it's more of question than a report, but is there anyone you can appeal to for a second-opinion when a post you made gets downvoted? I know about the negative voting limit, but when I logged in today, I noticed that my reputation had taken a big hit because someone went through and downvoted the last four posts I made in the WIP thread which spanned all the way back to March. The fact that at least one of those posts was nothing more than a compliment makes me think that all the downvoting was the work of one person who's more than likely just trying to screw with me. I don't want to act like I'm putting a whole lot of stock into the whole reputation thing, it is just a forum after all, but it's still kind of irritating to see that my rep's down in the negatives now just because some jackass decided to spam downvotes for no logical reason.

EmericaSkater, on 08 April 2011 - 03:35 AM, said:

Above post

He didn't get the idea from me :D :dukegoof: :)

TX, on 28 March 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Quote issue fixed.

Not for me m8. Please into this.

Yet another issue is, (as I'm sure you've all noticed) is that my sig vanishes after I edit a post. WTF!?

This post has been edited by blackharted: 08 April 2011 - 03:53 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

EmericaSkater, on 08 April 2011 - 03:35 AM, said:

Don't consider this important as it's more of question than a report, but is there anyone you can appeal to for a second-opinion when a post you made gets downvoted? I know about the negative voting limit, but when I logged in today, I noticed that my reputation had taken a big hit because someone went through and downvoted the last four posts I made in the WIP thread which spanned all the way back to March. The fact that at least one of those posts was nothing more than a compliment makes me think that all the downvoting was the work of one person who's more than likely just trying to screw with me. I don't want to act like I'm putting a whole lot of stock into the whole reputation thing, it is just a forum after all, but it's still kind of irritating to see that my rep's down in the negatives now just because some jackass decided to spam downvotes for no logical reason.

Fixed. Jhect was affected as well. I've corrected that, especially since in Jhect's case it looked like it had been me who downvoted another guy's differing opinion. However, since you can't vote twice on a post it's obvious that the vote is stored somewhere and it should be possible to track down abusers.

User is offline   CruX 

LeoD, on 08 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

Fixed. Jhect was affected as well. I've corrected that, especially since in Jhect's case it looked like it had been me who downvoted another guy's differing opinion. However, since you can't vote twice on a post it's obvious that the vote is stored somewhere and it should be possible to track down abusers.

Thanks, though for clarification's sake, there were a few of Jhect's posts that I'd downvoted in that thread because, quite frankly, they looked like his usual B.S, which I get tired of seeing. I don't really care if someone downvotes a post I make because they don't agree with something said therein, that may very well be an intended function of the voting system for all I know. My issue was the fact that most of my affected posts were unambiguously benign. There wasn't enough substance to them to vote one way or another, and yet they still got downvoted. This happened with a few of The Commander's posts as well but, like you, I voted up on them to put it back on an even keel. Either way it's good to know that forum members can (essentially) rely on each other to keep the whole voting thing in check.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

LeoD, on 08 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

Jhect is actually the asshat who went and downvoted everything EmericaSkater posted. His ability to give reputation points has now been removed.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

EmericaSkater, on 08 April 2011 - 05:26 AM, said:

My issue was the fact that most of my affected posts were unambiguously benign. There wasn't enough substance to them to vote one way or another, and yet they still got downvoted.

Well, there are people who never post anything with substance and therefore would deserve some downvoting now and then. :dukegoof: But I think everyone who uses the voting system should not give more negative than positive marks.

• el fundador

I agree with that. The current limits are 5 negative points and 50 positive points per day. I will be keeping track of anyone who makes a habit of abusing the system and there will be some consequences for members who can't play nice.

TX, on 08 April 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

I agree with that. The current limits are 5 negative points and 50 positive points per day. I will be keeping track of anyone who makes a habit of abusing the system and there will be some consequences for members who can't play nice.

Please explain this system as I've been away, and feel utterly lost at the moment.

User is offline   CruX 

TX, on 08 April 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

Jhect is actually the asshat who went and downvoted everything EmericaSkater posted. His ability to give reputation points has now been removed.

Can't say that's too surprising to learn. I kind of figured it was him.

LeoD, on 08 April 2011 - 05:41 AM, said:

Well, there are people who never post anything with substance and therefore would deserve some downvoting now and then. :D

...Touche'. Though I don't really consider myself one of those people :dukegoof:

TX, on 08 April 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

I will be keeping track of anyone who makes a habit of abusing the system and there will be some consequences for members who can't play nice.

Sounds good, though if Jhect can't vote anymore, you may have taken care of the only person that was childish enough to use the voting system in such a way.

• el fundador

blackharted, on 08 April 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

Please explain this system as I've been away, and feel utterly lost at the moment.

What's to explain? Crappy posts get voted down, and decent/informative posts get voted up. Your total reputation is displayed in your profile and in the info pane next to each post. People who make a lot of bad posts will tend to accumulate enough negative reputation points to give them an overall negative score, leading to natural increased scrutiny of their posts by moderators and other members. The general idea is to promote making decent posts instead of trolling since ideally nobody wants a big red negative number next to everything they say.

Oh hey, just found this topic ^^

First of all, i am sorry if i hurt you feeling emericaskator.

I want to be able to vote too!!! it's so funny.

ahhhhhhh, anyway i'm not really here to talk ^^

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Jhect, on 08 April 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

I want to be able to vote too!!! it's so funny.

The voting system it not something that is meant to be "funny" and is a part of the forum so that other people are able to tell who are the dick heads wasting peoples time or who are the people meant to be taken seriously.

As you can tell, you do not have a very high rep at this time.
This would most likely be due to posting silly one worded posts or negative feed back on other posts without providing a substantial argument.
Or just being an asshat in general as other people have said.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

More nagging about wasted space:
Having to scroll down to click the Search Now button is ridiculous.
Same goes for the Add Reply button btw.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Search.jpg

This post has been edited by LeoD: 09 April 2011 - 03:46 AM

• el fundador

Thanks. I've addressed your concerns.

Actually i have something i am kinda confused about, could you tell me who downvoted me on the thread were you asked me what i was doing TX. I think i'm not the only one acting like a kid around here :dukegoof:

Only Admins possibly moderators are allowed to know/see who gave who rep.
If you are not a admin/mod then you do not need to know as this can lead to flame wars and trolling.

Just ignore the fact that someone disagreed or voted you down and move on.
Dwelling on silly things like this is generally what makes people think less of your posts.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 09 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

I agree with you, but somehow i find it odd that an admin said who downvoted emericaskator. What an asshat...

So i deserve to know who downvoted me, oh wait, that was you.

• el fundador

I mentioned who downvoted a bunch of posts in that thread because you were abusing the system, and also because I pretty much do whatever I want on my forum. :dukegoof:

Jhect, on 09 April 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

So i deserve to know who downvoted me, oh wait, that was you.

No you do not "deserve" to know who voted on your posts, no normal other members are allowed this so why should you?

But if you really must know I have voted down several of your posts because I have disagreed with them or found them to be completely stupid and a waste of a post. (I think I am wasting a post here trying to explain this shit to you)

If you have any problems with this then you are more than welcome to take this to PM to discuss it because this is not the place.

Nah, that would be a waste of time, nobody really cares anyway.

I agree with you TX, but someone else is obviously abusing the voting system too. Why do you even have it when it only create chaos on the forums >.>

I am man enough to say sorry for abusing the system >.<

This post has been edited by Jhect: 09 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

TX, on 08 April 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

What's to explain? Crappy posts get voted down, and decent/informative posts get voted up. Your total reputation is displayed in your profile and in the info pane next to each post. People who make a lot of bad posts will tend to accumulate enough negative reputation points to give them an overall negative score, leading to natural increased scrutiny of their posts by moderators and other members. The general idea is to promote making decent posts instead of trolling since ideally nobody wants a big red negative number next to everything they say.

Ah I see. Thanks. Still have that silly problem with quotes though.

I still love you blackharted for voting me up ^^^

• el fundador

blackharted, on 09 April 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ah I see. Thanks. Still have that silly problem with quotes though.

Dump your cache and then take a screenshot of the problem you're having.

Hmm, the search doesn't process requests for phrases anymore. It seems to ignore any quotes I put into the search line. :dukegoof:

Another issue is that image attachments do not show in Opera browser; also the header background is always black. In Firefox it works ok.

• el fundador

Ugh, what the hell. I haven't modified ANY of the forum's backend code when doing the theme, just the templates that generate the page layouts using the content the backend supplies. I have no idea what could be causing searches for phrases to not work... I'll probably have to set up another installation of the forum software for testing to see if it happens there.

Jhect, on 09 April 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

I still love you blackharted for voting me up ^^^

No problem :dukegoof:

From 09 April 2011 - 10:50 AM:

Dump your cache and then take a screenshot of the problem you're having.

Screenshot i can do, but i dunno how to do that other thing.

• el fundador

Search issue resolved.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I found that links don't have a different colour to the normal text, which means when you insert a link to a work or sentence, it's impossible to tell that it's actually linked just by looking at it. Take one of helixhorned's posts for example: http://forums.duke4....dpost__p__80627

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options