Duke4.net Forums: PolyMOST HRP / Custom Z-Pack (gloves and more...) / GreyDuke - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PolyMOST HRP / Custom Z-Pack (gloves and more...) / GreyDuke  "Come get some ... gloves"

thanx for your z-pack leod!

im really liking the reverts to older shotgun and pistol and the atomic-style font, personally i disliked the new shotgun and pistol kinda cuz of the weird angle and the pistol model was kinda ugly compared to old one imo.
and the skins are a nice touch too.

overall im loving it so far, thanx for making this pack, i like the things you added to it more then the ones in the official hrp :P

User is offline   De-M-oN 

View Postsplitterface, on 22 January 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

im really liking the reverts to older shotgun and pistol and the atomic-style font, personally i disliked the new shotgun and pistol kinda cuz of the weird angle and the pistol model was kinda ugly compared to old one imo.
and the skins are a nice touch too.

Nice to see that I'm not alone with this opinion ^^

The new pistol isnt that bad for me, but it has a coloring problem. It looks very unrealistic in color. The coloring of the old Pistol is by far better. Maybe I would like the new pistol if it would have the coloring of the old one.
The new shotgun - hm I think its a matter of taste. I personally like the old one more.. The new one seems to be too short too. I cant tell what it is exactly, but the new shotgun has something which is disturbing me. And I really think it is the length of the gun and maybe the design too.

But all other about HRP is just awesome. Especially the 3D models. The 3D Models look exactly like 3D versions of the sprites. So I like to use them. In Doom the 3D Models all look totally cartoonish and wrong B) So with Doom I prefer the sprites. So I say: awesome job you did with the 3D Models.
But the polymer renderer is slowish as hell. I cant play it with maxed out detail and 2048x1152 resolution when it comes to some 3D Models. Explode some enemies on hollywood holocaust with Duke Plus' Gore and you are fast at ~20fps with a GTX 680 graphics card :P

User is offline   Mateos 

I think the models used and compatible only with the Polymer was made to be closer-looking to the original game sprites. I think the idea is very good, but it seems in 3D they doesn't look that good... I don't know what could be enhanced on these.

Polymer seems to count on CPU, at least this is what I feel when I see I have a more powerful laptop (2 times better), but I had to lower the settings in order to run the Polymer, and still on some maps if I'm in an exterior it's 1-3 FPS. Soon learning C, is the Polymer code available for reading purposes?

Same here, i think the polymost pistol/shotgun were way more cool. But on the other hand, there was not much resemblance with the original sprites (just think of the pistol model: was even gray while the original is obviously black) and one of the main goal of a HRP pack is recreate the same experience just in a new dimension, therefore it was obliged choice. Essentially it's the same thing the guys from the Doomsday Engine trying to do with DOOM1/2, HERETIC and HEXEN.

BTW i'm glad to see Leod include some of my textures in his pack, also my Pigcop shotgun reskin for Dukeplus. I thought is had fallen into oblivion :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsplitterface, on 22 January 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

i like the things you added to it more then the ones in the official hrp :P
Remember, besides smuggling in my avatar I didn't create anything of the contents. It's mostly about keeping alternatives alive. Some of them are clearly inferior to their current HRP counterparts, even by my 'standards', but I keep them nonetheless.

View PostDe-M-oN, on 22 January 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

The new pistol isnt that bad for me, but it has a coloring problem. It looks very unrealistic in color. The coloring of the old Pistol is by far better. Maybe I would like the new pistol if it would have the coloring of the old one.
The new shotgun - hm I think its a matter of taste. I personally like the old one more.. The new one seems to be too short too. I cant tell what it is exactly, but the new shotgun has something which is disturbing me. And I really think it is the length of the gun and maybe the design too.

View PostMateos, on 22 January 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I think the models used and compatible only with the Polymer was made to be closer-looking to the original game sprites. I think the idea is very good, but it seems in 3D they doesn't look that good... I don't know what could be enhanced on these.
Unfortunately the creator of pistol and shotgun, Spiker, has stopped contributing to the HRP after the splitting incident last April.

Polymer seems to count on CPU, at least this is what I feel when I see I have a more powerful laptop (2 times better)
That's my impression, too, after getting a new PC but keeping the old graphics card.

Soon learning C, is the Polymer code available for reading purposes?
Of course, it's GPL'd. Go here.

View PostFantinaikos, on 22 January 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Same here, i think the polymost pistol/shotgun were way more cool. But on the other hand, there was not much resemblance with the original sprites (just think of the pistol model: was even gray while the original is obviously black) and one of the main goal of a HRP pack is recreate the same experience just in a new dimension, therefore it was obliged choice.
This.

Btw, I'm actually considering to activate those new weapons in the Polymer part of the Z-Pack, but first of all I'd gotta get off my butt and do the gloves for the hand models.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 22 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

i found one thing i dont like much though... the lasergun you added to the Z-pack.

it looks to much like a reskin for pistol, i personally quite liked the dukeplus lasergun

could you perhaps tell me how to revert back to the original DP lasergun?
or preferably, make a fix for me to change it back to the DP lasergun? :P

and yeah i agree, i can see they tried making them closer to the originals with the new models of hrp. but thats not always a good thing, cuz some stuff just looks weird in 3d, like the shotgun, imo the one in newest hrp looks just plain weird cuz of the odd angle. i totally understand what they\'re doing, but imo its not always good to try and make something like the original sprites, cuz what looked ok as 2d sprite sometimes looks just plain weird when made as 3d model

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsplitterface, on 22 January 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

i found one thing i dont like much though... the lasergun you added to the Z-pack. it looks to much like a reskin for pistol
Yup. That's the DukePlus 2.06 (and earlier?) lasergun which came with the first incarnation of the great Eternity mod.

could you perhaps tell me how to revert back to the original DP lasergun?
If you have applied NixFix, simply try starting DukePlus normally, not with the BAT provided by the Z-Pack. Not sure about what happens to the normal pistol and the shotgun, though.

or preferably, make a fix for me to change it back to the DP lasergun? :P
Hm, no, sorry. I've stuck my nose into far too many Duke3D-ish things already and wouldn't want to open a new can of worms by providing customized Z-Pack versions on request. Take this as an incentive to do it on your own. It's not too hard. I actually [re-]implemented that stuff without any knowledge about CON programming. Use a side-by-side comparison tool to compare the Z-Pack versions of CONs and DEF with the DukePlus (NixFixed) originals. Search for LASER, LASERGUN, FIRELASER, etc.

that fixed it back to dp lasergun, starting it with dukeplus bat instead of z-pack bat.

pistols and shotgun & cruiser shotgun still use the old models from zpack but with glove-less skins, but i dun care about that at all. long as its the old models B)

wont it affect anything else beside those weapons, using the bat that came with dukeplus instead of the z-pack bat?

EDIT: nvm i tried what you said about modifying the defs, and i managed to do it myself. found the lines you commented out, fixed them and commented out the lines you had added to replace the models for lasergun and lasergun pickup :P

This post has been edited by splitterface: 22 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLeoD, on 22 January 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Of course, it's GPL'd. Go here.

Nope, BUILDLIC. Still perfectly good for reading.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsplitterface, on 22 January 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

wont it affect anything else beside those weapons, using the bat that came with dukeplus instead of the z-pack bat?
IIRC I've disabled Duke's jumping groans, and the new enforcer gun's sound. Dunno if there's more atm.

View PostHendricks266, on 22 January 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Nope, BUILDLIC. Still perfectly good for reading.
Oops. So the new renderer sources could not be decoupled from Build. Thanks for clearing up.

User is offline   Mateos 

Thank you for the links and details :P

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

More specifically, everything is there:

http://svn.eduke32.c...src%2Fpolymer.c

I wouldn't advise starting to work on it without discussing your plans with me though since I have a bunch of WIP trees with pretty fundamental changes that would probably conflict a bunch.

User is offline   Mateos 

We will start learning C in a couple of months at college, for now we're on Java, and from learning to understanding and modifying, the path is quite long! But np, if I get there and I have suggestions I'll discuss them with you :P

could i get a bit of help maybe? im trying to run war of attrition with z-pack but it wont work. when i try running it with z-pack bat i get

" error(s) found in file 'attrition/z/EDUKE-z.CON'. do you want to use internal defaults? "

and i checked and it doesnt matter wether i select duke3d.grp or atomic.grp from startup menu, in both cases i get the same error :P

when starting war of attrition with the bat that came with attrition it runs just fine.

(lemme know where i can find the log i need to attach and ill post it)

This post has been edited by splitterface: 24 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsplitterface, on 24 January 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

could i get a bit of help maybe? im trying to run war of attrition with z-pack but it wont work. when i try running it with z-pack bat i get
" error(s) found in file 'attrition/z/EDUKE-z.CON'. do you want to use internal defaults? "
Maybe your installation is corrupted and/or you have remnants of an old Z-Pack installation hanging around in your attrition folder. Try re-installing Attrition (not by overwriting).

and i checked and it doesnt matter wether i select duke3d.grp or atomic.grp from startup menu, in both cases i get the same error :P
??? you can select GRPs in the startup menu??? Screenshot, please.

(lemme know where i can find the log i need to attach and ill post it)
Assuming you're on Windows: eduke32.log is created In the same directory where your eduke32.exe executable is located, as are eduke32.cfg and settings.cfg.

View PostLeoD, on 25 January 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Maybe your installation is corrupted and/or you have remnants of an old Z-Pack installation hanging around in your attrition folder. Try re-installing Attrition (not by overwriting).

thanx for that tip, i hadnt thought yet of the possibility that my attrition installation was corrupted. B)
removed attrition folder and unpacked a new copy of my attrition folder and it works fine now :D

View PostLeoD, on 25 January 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

??? you can select GRPs in the startup menu??? Screenshot, please.

erm yeah of course, you've always been able to do that in eduke32? :P
Posted Image

anyways, thanx for the tip again, didnt think of possibility of my attrition installation could be corrupted.
strange though that attrition worked perfectly fine without Z-pack then. ah well, it works fine now, which is all that matters B)

This post has been edited by splitterface: 26 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

User is offline   Mateos 

You can only select main GRPs, such as the base game, World War II also... Not mods/TCs GRPs :P

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

More selection options are planned.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsplitterface, on 26 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

erm yeah of course, you've always been able to do that in eduke32? :rolleyes
Apparently I've never had more than one recognized GRP in my EDuke32 folder. :P

View PostHendricks266, on 26 January 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Interesting. You should move the GUI mockup to the top of the page. That makes it clearer what it's all about.

User is offline   Mateos 

Hmm, with the possibility to load mods from folder, you can have a clean install with the EDuke32 and base game in a folder, and a sub-folder for each mod; Doesn't this sounds a bit "duplicated" compared ti folder system?

I mean, of you select a GRP and EDuke32 has to find which files this mod requires, or you simply make a subfolder for the mod

Or I don't understand what is planned ^^'

User is offline   tomo 

Hay LeoD the new z-pack is awsome theres just one thng that bothers me when playing DukePlus or Attrition the fact there is no gloved arm for the minigun(battlelord auto cannon) i edited the ungloved version but its just horrible do you think you could make a good looking one ?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: wire.jpg
  • Attached Image: eduke32 2012-11-08 23-27-38-06.png

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 30 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Hay LeoD the new z-pack is awsome theres just one thng that bothers me when playing DukePlus or Attrition the fact there is no gloved arm for the minigun(battlelord auto cannon) i edited the ungloved version but its just horrible do you think you could make a good looking one ?
That's on my ToDo-list since the very start of the Z-Pack ... I've tried two times and gave up, maybe too early. I had planned a new try in late 2012 but then I started the UserMapHacks project. I'm still a GIMP noob but I think I'll give it another go in March when there's more spare time again.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I am actually on this myself. I have the .blend and have been editing it for wgr2, it's not mine persay, so I'll gladly share my glove skin with everyone.

User is offline   tomo 

Awsome cant wait =)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDrek, on 31 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I am actually on this myself. I have the .blend and have been editing it for wgr2, it's not mine persay, so I'll gladly share my glove skin with everyone.
I'm not sure if I understand your offer correctly. My goal is to simply replace wire.jpg from DukePlus/Attrition and the HRP's duke_hand_d[n,s?].png with Eternity-gloved versions, e.g. arms256.png. Just like tomo tried to do. No messing with modelling and things. However, having a look at your stuff might inspire me somehow.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: arms256-z.png

User is offline   tomo 

Hay LeoD while playing DukePlus with the z-pack i found when you get the bleeding wounds upgrade or the acid the same conflict with the laserpistol
that happend with attrition occurs i tried to fix it by adding these lines from the att_hrp-z.def and put them into dukeplus-z.def and put the image into graphics put it still didnt fix it :P

// resolve 6150/6151 conflict with Z-Pack laser_pistol (6146)
tilefromtexture 6300 { file "DukePlus/z/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/6150_6300.png" }
texture 6300 { pal 0 { file "DukePlus/z/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/6150_6300.png" nocompress nodownsize } }
tilefromtexture 6301 { file "DukePlus/z/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/6151_6301.png" }
texture 6301 { pal 0 { file "DukePlus/z/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/6151_6301.png" nocompress nodownsize } }

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32 2013-02-06 13-45-23-28.png
  • Attached Image: eduke32 2013-02-06 13-45-52-44.png

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 05 February 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Hay LeoD while playing DukePlus with the z-pack i found when you get the bleeding wounds upgrade or the acid the same conflict with the laserpistol that happend with attrition occurs
Thanks for the bug report. I should have checked that when I fixed the Attrition part.

View Posttomo, on 05 February 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

i tried to fix it by adding these lines from the att_hrp-z.def and put them into dukeplus-z.def and put the image into graphics put it still didnt fix it
Hehe, it's not that easy. :P

Bug fixed. I have updated the download on post#1. Instead of getting the whole 128MiB package again you can update your local 5.2.413 Z-Pack using the attached ZIP.
[Edit] Superseded attachment removed.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   tomo 

Thanks LeoD your a legend :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

5.2.413-IITTC

- Bug fixed : the pipebomb dropping hand had no glove (supposedly introduced almost a year ago - d'oh!)
- Infestation in Time Revisited v1.5 compatibility (gloves for the recoloured firstperson weapons' skins). Use the included batch file to start. Maphacks pending.

Post#1 download updated. Alternatively update your local Z-Pack (any previous 5.2.413 download) using the attached ZIP.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Kevin 

Thank you very much for this, and many thanks to all the talented people on here, keeping old Duke alive.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options