Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Modding Tools - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Modding Tools  "Release 3: February 17th, 2012"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Direct from the readme:
This is a collection of tools and tidbits that I have been using to mod for Duke Nukem 3D and related games, and I think every modder could have a use for them. Feel free to contact me if you think something else should also be included in future releases. I do not own or claim to own any of these tools, but they are all included with their original documentation (and even in some cases source code.) I might have also added some things to these tools myself. (Such as an inclusion of a Duke3D palette for DoomCRAP's PaletteDump program or my custom EDITART package.) I realise that I have not asked permission from anyone to include any of these works in this package. In some cases there is no way to contact original authors of some of these old programs. If you feel that something included herein is your work and should not be included, I will remove it at your request.

Best Regards,
Captain Awesome

What's in here?
Spoiler

Have at it, folks!

.zip - Mediafire Download - 17.56 MB

.7z - Mediafire Download - 12.43 MB

FEBRUARY EDIT:
I'd recommend updating, especially if you are using the custom EDITART package or the 'optimized' palette I included. Turns out I somehow screwed up the colors on the white swatches. Either way, I replaced it with one made by CraigFatman, and he doesn't suck like me, so it looks like everything is proper now. There's a few new things here as well.

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 17 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Wow, nice collection. I'm not sure about packaging them. If they are all freeware, and free to redistribute I think that's kind of a gray area.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

All of these programs are freely available, many of which haven't been updated in years. Some of these programs are updated to this day, so I have included links instead of copies of the program. The only reason I can see someone complaining about it being packaged in here is if they decided to be a dick about it. All of the original documentation and readmes are in there, so I don't see an issue with it personally. Either way, if they must be removed in the future I will include a link to where you can download it.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Captain Awesome, on Dec 13 2010, 04:06 PM, said:

All of these programs are freely available, many of which haven't been updated in years. Some of these programs are updated to this day, so I have included links instead of copies of the program. The only reason I can see someone complaining about it being packaged in here is if they decided to be a dick about it. All of the original documentation and readmes are in there, so I don't see an issue with it personally. Either way, if they must be removed in the future I will include a link to where you can download it.

Sounds good. I've been meaning to check out some alternative to Dukeres.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Most definitely check out the EDITART I've included. Every WindowsXP machine I've used it on have presented no issues at all. Once you get the hang of it's controls, it'll take you no time at all to use it proficiently.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Captain Awesome, on Dec 13 2010, 04:17 PM, said:

Most definitely check out the EDITART I've included. Every WindowsXP machine I've used it on have presented no issues at all

And for those of us using an OS released after 2001, there is always DOSBox :rolleyes:

can you tell me just quick what those playstation rom hacks are about? i have been thinking about hacking some old games lately

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

DeeperThought: Definitely, I could include a DOSBox version in a future release if someone compiled it together for me.

Jhect: They're just tools you can use to hack a PSX game. I've never used an illegal rom with them, so I have no idea how that works. I've just used these tools to get some resources from the various PSX Duke games. I won't provide any details on how they work, some of them are self explanatory, contain documentation, etc.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Good compilation. Hopefully I could add some tools of my own in the future.

As for suggestions, the only things I can think of are bastART, DukeResART, and that one program to extract the sounds out of Duke 64.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I didn't include BastART or DukeRes because they are rather easy to find and I hate their stinkin' guts!

User is offline   Hank 

Captain Awesome, on Dec 14 2010, 03:45 PM, said:

I didn't include BastART or DukeRes because they are rather easy to find and I hate their stinkin' guts!

A - thanks for the set!
B - I never heard of BastART, nor can I find it on Google, what does it do?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

http://dukerepositor...m/utilities.php

"An .ART file editor for Windows. It includes core EditART tile editing functionality, and some enhanced and new functions. No graphic editing facilities, though."

In my experience BastART and DukeRes are much too buggy and unfinished, and I believe have potential to corrupt your .ART files, especially with someone who is inexperienced.

User is offline   Gambini 

You´ve not included any of the modding tools i use for Duke...Strange:

GRP Viewer
BastART
XWE
NPherno´s MD3 Compiler
LithUnwrap
Wally (yes it opens .ART files and a lot faster than bastART does)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Do you mean Roma Loom's GRP Viewer? Was that ever finished? I'll include it, but all I could find were old versions which I remember Roma saying could corrupt your assets at times. XWE and Wally are useless, Slade3 is superior in almost every way I can think of, and I may include a link to it in the next release. I didn't include any 3D tools because I don't know jack shit about it and don't really care to learn about them, I don't have a use for them. I think there is a fair amount of information on that as well, but most people don't know tools like OpenGL Build Touch or ART2BMP exist.

Either way, anyone is free to package together the tools that would be needed for modeling, but I won't because I don't use them and know nothing about them.

User is offline   Hank 

Captain Awesome, on Dec 14 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

http://dukerepositor...m/utilities.php

"An .ART file editor for Windows. It includes core EditART tile editing functionality, and some enhanced and new functions. No graphic editing facilities, though."

In my experience BastART and DukeRes are much too buggy and unfinished, and I believe have potential to corrupt your .ART files, especially with someone who is inexperienced.

Not sure what BastART is supposed to do. Speaking of newbies, you could screw up your .art file with one swift key stroke in EditArt.

Just curious. Would there be an interest in an updated DukeRes? I never found the source code, though, but won't matter. And what editing features did you have in mind? The only thing I ever used EditArt for is to set the pink color for transparency. No one was interested in Misfits update, maybe I could redo of DukeRes? http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I use EditArt for some pixel editing and minor drawing. It also has many other powerful ulterior functions which I rarely use. In terms of why to use EditArt, it's the original program, it's not clunky, it has a very simple and clean interface, it gets it's job done well. It's actually really intuitive and easy to use once you get used to it, I can blaze through all kinds of functions with it. DukeRES is the opposite of that, it's rather cluttered, it doesn't display previews properly (at least it doesn't for me.) It crashes quite a bit, and I don't trust it's potential for corruption. BastART is even worse than DukeRES. It also doesn't help that neither of these programs have been properly updated since the advent of Windows XP.

User is offline   Hank 

You've got my convinced. There is no excuse not to have an up-to-date EditArt around. And just for you I will keep the key commands intact, but also a fly-out menu for dummies like me. http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hank, on Dec 14 2010, 07:53 PM, said:

Would there be an interest in an updated DukeRes?

Not so much updated as to get my hands on the source. I'm hellbent on writing the perfect ART tool one day.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

Captain Awesome, on Dec 15 2010, 03:19 AM, said:

Do you mean Roma Loom's GRP Viewer? Was that ever finished? I'll include it, but all I could find were old versions which I remember Roma saying could corrupt your assets at times.

In terms of working with GRP files - it's pretty complete and functional for 2 or 3 years already.
The latest version was 09.28.2010 - only few months ago (in my sig). There is support for polymer related features like viewing normal, specular and glow maps along with params that are written for these texture maps in the def files. Also it plays VOC files. There are some features I may add soon, but they are not that important for the public...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Good deal, I'll add it in, but it seems your website is down? (Temporarily, perhaps.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 15 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Hendricks266, on Dec 15 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

Not so much updated as to get my hands on the source. I'm hellbent on writing the perfect ART tool one day.

Don't do wait for nodding! Especially not for a forum poster! No one knows me from atom! :rolleyes: To assure that my version of EditArt is backward compatible will take me about a year to do what's on my list of things to do. No point in issuing anything half backed, and no point for you to wait for your day, I think. http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/wink.gif

If you have an idea how to perfect EditArt, go for it! I know how to do menus, import various image formats and shit. Anything to do with Ken Silverman and you need to be able to understand assembly. All I know about it is that it's the most efficient way to program, and I personally have no intention to change let alone perfect that portion of the core code. :lol:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Check the first post for an update to the package.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just bumping to let everyone know there is a small but pretty major update.

User is offline   Kaal979 

Im planning to make a DN3D mod which shall beside maps change the enemies appearances.
Exactly spoken - i wanna make new sprites and replace the originals and also the weapons.
Now i need to know how simple this is - i know the worklot for drawing sprites but is this all?

This post has been edited by Kaal979: 24 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's not that difficult. Besides drawing the sprites, all you have to do is drop them in the game, and there are multiple ways to do that. However that discussion doesn't quite belong in this thread.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 26 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks! Looks like its easy enough to test a small mod.

This post has been edited by Kaal979: 05 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No problem, and good luck!

One more question - do you know about ways for also using
the ShadowWarrior sprite enemies in DN3D or even a example for copying?

Posted Image
P.S.: The pic was made with IrFanView by decreasing
colours to 64 and editing the pink backgrounds per palette.
(You can see abit fail on dukes trousers and the alienqueen.)

This post has been edited by Kaal979: 06 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Not sure where else I should ask this: Is is possible to add the pink background color to tiles in any of the many art editors? Or do i have to go to editart?

What I have to do to change my pink for the real background pink in editart?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The way most graphics programs work is that they select the first similar color that comes along the palette. There is an identical pink color that comes before the pink that rests in the translucent slot. So when you're indexing the image, it's not selecting the translucent slot.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 07 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options