Duke4.net Forums: "Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances  "Post problems here that could be fixed with a few minutes of effort"

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostFox, on 26 March 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

No, that won't work. Looking at the source code, the tsprshade is set to 16 during animatesprites.

Doesn't this just mean that the crack will appear fullbright when night vision is on?

In any case, manually setting the shade to its current sector's shade in either EVENT_GAME or EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES doesn't work.

This post has been edited by Diaz: 26 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

No, it seems to just set it to 16 regardless of the case.

case BULLETHOLE:
            case CRACK1:
            case CRACK2:
            case CRACK3:
            case CRACK4:
                t->shade = 16;
                continue;

User is offline   Diaz 

Well, setting both shade and tsprshade in EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES doesn't work. :)

User is offline   Fox 

Setting the shade is not meant to work (and you shouldn't use it in an unsyncronized event). And you need to set the .mdflags in order to set the tspr during animatesprites.

===//===//===

Since Eduke32 has no true support for displaying in-game screens (intermission, cutscenes, etc), could at least there be some little help?

The most evident problem is that you can't prevent the menu from being displayed. It would be appreciated if there was something like an EVENT_MENU which setvar RETURN -1 would prevent the menu from being opened (and shut it down if interface_toggle_flag is active).

But a more depth problem is with trying to make a briefing screen. You can only make the loading screen appear before your custom briefing screen. Furthermore there is a serie of issues with sound / music:
- There should be a command to play the main menu or briefing tracks, and a command to stop the current track;
- There should be an option to check whenever the sound or music options are on or off (because the intermission music is defined as a sound but still plays depending of the music option);
- Repeat-type sounds should continue from the main menu and play during the briefing scene;

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

Thanks. Just setting mdflags to 16 worked. No more code required, the sprite keeps the shade that it's been given in Mapster, which is optimal.

Edit: I was wrong. A bit more code was required for that last part. But it works :)

This post has been edited by Diaz: 27 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   Fox 

I noticed that if the "Map exits" option is off, all it does is killing the player when he push the nukebutton. And it doesn't prevent other forms of ending a level.

Posted Image

That seems to be far from a neat solution. In Duke Nukem 64, if the exits are made unavaiable in multiplayer, it simply delete the nukebutton at the end of the levels.

Posted Image

This gives a surprisingly good result. It also matches Faces of Death level, which has a blank space where the nukebutton should be.

Also it is necessary to remove the lo-tag -1 or -2 from sectors, etc.

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I agree with the Map Exits changes. Internally, I wouldn't delete the nukebutton, I would just cstat 32768 and disable functionality. IIRC, it is possible to use a nukebutton as an ordinary switch, so that would need to be checked too.

User is offline   Fox 

Looking at the source code, I am quite sure it doesn't. All the nukebutton seems to do is to set fist_incs and some end of level related structures.

To list what would need to be changed:
• Delete nukebuttons with lo-tag ≠ 0;
• Change sector lo-tags -1 or -2 to zero;
• Erase the effect of endofgame command;
• Delete switches with lo-tag -1;
• Change the lo-tag -1 from walls with the picnum of a switch to zero;

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Thanks for the list. Perhaps I confused the endswitch with SW. It's funny. I pulled out an old, old map I had made, tested it, and found that I made a nukebutton work like a normal switch! ...then I looked in Mapster and I had put an actual switch sprite hidden in the same spot. :)

Again, I wouldn't remove any tags or sprites in the code, I would just disable all the effects.

User is offline   Fox 

Why has the inventory display been moved when the screen size is greater than the default status bar?

Original
Posted Image Posted Image

Eduke
Posted Image Posted Image

Also there is a problem with the "status bar above weapon" option:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 27 March 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Since Eduke32 has no true support for displaying in-game screens (intermission, cutscenes, etc), could at least there be some little help?

I added a new Wiki page Suggestions for the future. Everyone is invited!

View PostFox, on 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I noticed that if the "Map exits" option is off, all it does is killing the player when he push the nukebutton. And it doesn't prevent other forms of ending a level.

I'm a fan of the killing behavior because it's more exciting. The bug here seems to be the second sentence.

View PostFox, on 28 March 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Why has the inventory display been moved when the screen size is greater than the default status bar?

Unintended, probably.

User is offline   Player Lin 

With recently snapshot builds, eduke32 will just loaded the Megaton Edition's files and make some textures/sounds replacement mods/TCs like the Priss/Nana Nukem TC -- stupid random textures&sounds changed with Anime things just go weird.

And I already put the DUKE3D.GRP in the mod/TC's directory but eduke32 still load the Megaton Edition one, it just annoying when see the mod/TC's loading screen background textures got replaced to Megaton edition one. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 March 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

With recently snapshot builds, eduke32 will just loaded the Megaton Edition's files and make some textures/sounds replacement mods/TCs like the Priss/Nana Nukem TC -- stupid random textures&sounds changed with Anime things just go weird.

We can't win with this one. Just disable textures in Renderer Setup.

View PostHendricks266, on 28 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

We can't win with this one. Just disable textures in Renderer Setup.

Hmm, disable HIRES textures do work and I win. :P

Thanks. :)

User is offline   Fox 

View PostFox, on 08 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Some of the animations displayed on the screen are too fast depending of the framerate, for example the moving arms after being hit by the Shrinker. In the GIF above it is faster than it should be in the vanilla game, despite it still being slowed down by the recording software.

Posted Image

Since the Ripper and other weapons have been "syncronized with the game", shouldn't the shrunk fists animation also stop if the game is paused?

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hey guys, I committed a fix for the problem I caused where EDuke32 was automatically loading Megaton's fucked up duke3d.def. Sorry about that!

User is offline   Fox 

Why the alternate HUD has no drop shadow in classic mode?

I noticed that the crosshair tile is hard-coded to inherit CrosshairColor, but it seems to not be working with rotatesprite in OpenGL modes (though I would prefer if it was an orientation flag instead of being hard-coded).

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostFox, on 29 March 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I noticed that the crosshair tile is hard-coded to inherit CrosshairColor, but it seems to not be working with rotatesprite in OpenGL modes (though I would prefer if it was an orientation flag instead of being hard-coded).

It doesn't appear to be exposed to usedefs, otherwise you could just pull that value.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 29 March 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Translucence in software mode looks a little odd due to its 8-bit nature. Compare this among the renderers:

gamevar alpha 0 0

onevent EVENT_DISPLAYREST

setvarvar alpha totalclock
    modvar alpha 255

rotatespritea 160 70 65536 0 SPINNINGNUKEICON 0 0 0 alpha windowx1 windowy1 windowx2 windowy2

endevent

User is offline   Fox 

It looks fine to me.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have noticed some issue that happens if you have installed Megaton AND have a local copy of duke3d.grp in your EDuke32 directory. Addons relying on a user.con won't work properly any more when launched from custom directories.

Example:
- Duke It Out in D.C. installed in "dukedc" subdir within the EDuke32 folder.
- You select "dukedc" as custom game content dir.
- Launching EDuke32 would NOT show the addon episode in the menu, i.e. user.con is ignored/overridden.

The only fix I have found to be working right now is to either rename or move the Megaton installation directory. After that, the addon shows up normally ingame again. It does not work the other way round, i.e. if I remove the groupfile from the EDuke32 dir while maintaining Megaton the way it should be, I still cannot select the addon ingame. (Therefore, actually I guess the issue would happen anyway, whether you have the groupfile in the EDuke32 dir or not.) This also applies for other addons, e.g. Duke Caribbean.

Maybe there is a way to make it work without having to change anything in the Steam directories? I have tried this with latest EDuke32 snapshot r3631.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Ah, crap.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\DEFS.CON
Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\GAME.CON
Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\USER.CON

TerminX, it looks like we've hit another issue. Perhaps instead of adding the directory, we should just copy DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS as Plagman suggested.

I would think just using Megaton edition files in eduke32 is a BAD idea, really bad.

And I see if the DUKE3D.GRP / *.CONs exists on the the same directory of eduke32.exe/mapster32.exe then it should be just use that ones and ignored Megaton ones...

(Or maybe it just a small problem about priority, when the ones in current working eduke32 directory should be override the Megaton ones...)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHendricks266, on 31 March 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Ah, crap.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\DEFS.CON
Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\GAME.CON
Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\classic\USER.CON

TerminX, it looks like we've hit another issue. Perhaps instead of adding the directory, we should just copy DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS as Plagman suggested.

That would seem to me as an annoying waste of space. What exactly is the problem shown here? Something wrong with the CONs?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostStrikerMan780, on 01 April 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

That would seem to me as an annoying waste of space. What exactly is the problem shown here? Something wrong with the CONs?

I disagree that it's a waste of space. It would probably be a grand total of an extra 100mb on your computer, which is nothing these days. Plus you get the benefit that your eduke32 folder is suddenly self-contained and you can set it up with all sorts of custom mods without worrying about anything interfering with megaton. Then if you wanted you can delete megaton and once again won't affect eduke32.

Besides, it's not like anyone here is going down this track. What Hendricks/Plagman/TX/Helix are talking about is purely for SuperNoobs.

User is offline   Gambini 

Yeah, specially because the "waste of space" is minimal in comparision to all the crap Steam collects in your HD. Steam client bare, with no games, is worth several GBs, add to that, that it puts a copy of all redistributable files (directx, netframe) in every game you have and it saves hundreds of mbs for games you already uninstalled, plus it, most times installs support for languages you will never use.

After knowing that, let me tell you that Duke3d.grp weights only 43mb.

User is offline   Gambini 

Does anybody know the name of the battlelord ANM file in duke3d.grp? I want to replace it but I can´t find its file. I have logo, cineov2, cineov3, radlogo, duketeam, and vol4-1-2-3-e1-e2 etc.

Where the hell is it?

NEVERMIND. it´s a set of tiles

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

I'm not sure if this is the right thread and if not I can post it somewhere else, but:

How does the security camera monitor texture rendering work? Why is this not exposed to CON, and what is the feasibility of adding some sort of render-to-texture feature similar to how security monitor rendering works?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The security camera thing is similar to the savefile thing, and a little hackish. I think helix might have linked that hack to the GL modes a while back, but I'm unsure. Anyhow, actual, generally exposed render-to-texture is something that is planned for the future, yes.

User is offline   Fox 

The security camera screens work by setting the temporary picnum to 30715 which is a 128 x 128 tile that displays the last security camera used.

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options