Duke4.net Forums: "Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances  "Post problems here that could be fixed with a few minutes of effort"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as paper-cut (tried myself and failed), but you're probably much more versed in the mess that is menus.c, so:
in the keyboard config panel, there's no page-down or page up, it's the same as up/down right now; also the multiple playing of the "kick" sound when scrolling to the very bottom is rather annoying.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is there a way to fix the INSERT/HOME/PGuP/PGdN/DEL/END keys all doing the same thing when NumLock is enabled/disabled (can't remember which). I use the numpad for all my controls and I also use the 6 previous keys as separate controls besides the numpad so it would be nice for them to be all separate.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Annoying bug happening in recent versions: everytime I launch EDuke32, the screen size resets to its default value (HUD boxes).

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I don't know if this is small or huge work but When I start eduke32 (polymer, hrp, duke plus) some random video in youtube starts playing... I mean WTF! Also it doesn't play as it normally would... it shows the "other videos you might watch" scene when a video is over, but plays in the background... I know STRANGE.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDavoX, on Oct 31 2010, 04:49 AM, said:

I don't know if this is small or huge work but When I start eduke32 (polymer, hrp, duke plus) some random video in youtube starts playing... I mean WTF! Also it doesn't play as it normally would... it shows the "other videos you might watch" scene when a video is over, but plays in the background... I know STRANGE.

Is this a troll post?
If not I would highly recommend you run a virus scan. :(

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDavoX, on Oct 30 2010, 09:49 AM, said:

If I were a gambling man, I'd say you downloaded a torrent, of which the creator "hotlinked" a shortcut to his video's webpage to boost his "views" number.

Second guess would be you somehow did it yourself. Check the properties of your eduke32 shortcut and make sure it's only launching eduke32.exe

Third option is what the Commander said; you have a virus.

User is offline   Hank 

Request

The status line ( the bottom portion of the screen in 2D ); can we make it two lines? It shows the program name and at flips through various infos of walls, sectors and sprites, at times I want to know that info, but it's hidden (printed) behind the program title. :(

I run Mapster it in Windows, 640x480 mode, that was the original design base for SST. You will not encounter the problem running mapster at higher resolutions. But you're looking for paper cuts. :(

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Don't know if this counts, but one annoyance is that in Polymer, when you shoot two rockets into the same spot, the explosions have giant squares cut out of them on occasion, and sometimes flicker, or cut out sprites behind them.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on Oct 30 2010, 03:08 PM, said:

If I were a gambling man, I'd say you downloaded a torrent, of which the creator "hotlinked" a shortcut to his video's webpage to boost his "views" number.

Second guess would be you somehow did it yourself. Check the properties of your eduke32 shortcut and make sure it's only launching eduke32.exe

Third option is what the Commander said; you have a virus.

That would only happen if it started the same video over and over... but it doesn't. It just starts playing the video I have already opened in a tab. I'm sorry if I didn't specify that.

Let's say I have a video of Build Tutorials opened, when I start eduke32 (dukeplus.bat to be exact) the video starts playing in the background.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 01 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Sorry for double post but:

So far I've had 3 BSOD using Eduke32 + polymer + hrp + dukeplus...

Can't really replicate the error for now as it happens every once in a while but it's there... Happened on 3 different computers.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I take it you are using the latest versions of eduke right?

http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've experienced many crashes (though none recently), but I have never, ever had a BSOD with eduke.

As someone said before, nowadays BSOD means usually :

1) Hardware problems

2) Driver problems

Better check your PC, DavoX.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Well I just solved this by updating to the latest snapshot.

However from time to time when I switch from 2D mode to 3D mode or viceversa, mapster32 quits without warning, making me lose my progress.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 01 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Nov 1 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

As someone said before, nowadays BSOD means usually :

1) Hardware problems

2) Driver problems

Better check your PC, DavoX.

Yep, this is always the case. It's impossible for a user mode application to cause a BSOD nowadays no matter what it does.

Anyway, I'm working on some of the things reported here, albeit slowly. This baby shit is hard work! :(

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't know how it slipped my mind until now, but I was playing today and it happened again. Sometimes when you throw a pipebomb and it bounces off of something, it goes into a permanent moving state, in which it slides slowly but does not flip from side to side. In this state it cannot be picked up but you can still detonate it. It happens most often when throwing one into a room from a crawlspace (like the one in in the stripper bar of E1L2). It's very annoying because the pipebomb usually bounces back into the crawl space with you, and since you can't pick it up you have to give up on using pipebombs since using it would be suicide.

• el fundador

Since you're probably familiar with the internal operation of pipebombs by now, can you try monitoring the members which control pipebomb behavior so we can get an idea of what condition is actually triggering this problem? I think I've seen that happen once or twice myself but it was always when I was in the middle of fixing some other issue so it was glossed over each time.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Nov 2 2010, 07:41 PM, said:

Since you're probably familiar with the internal operation of pipebombs by now, can you try monitoring the members which control pipebomb behavior so we can get an idea of what condition is actually triggering this problem?

I tried that once before -- I think it was about a year ago -- but it didn't happen while I was monitoring. Maybe I should put the player start in that vent of E1L2, since it seems to happen there a lot.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTX, on Nov 2 2010, 02:27 PM, said:

This baby shit is hard work! :(

Good pun double entendre.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 2 2010, 08:20 PM, said:

I tried that once before -- I think it was about a year ago -- but it didn't happen while I was monitoring. Maybe I should put the player start in that vent of E1L2, since it seems to happen there a lot.

If I may interject, I believe this may be related to the pipebomb colliding with other sprites or the way its interacting with crossing over certain sector lines. It seems to happen on Launch Facility whenever I try to throw a pipebomb into the bunker where the pigs with the switch to set off the rocket are, it bounces off that sign above the hole and starts sliding all over the place.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCommando Nukem, on Nov 2 2010, 09:17 PM, said:

If I may interject, I believe this may be related to the pipebomb colliding with other sprites or the way its interacting with crossing over certain sector lines. It seems to happen on Launch Facility whenever I try to throw a pipebomb into the bunker where the pigs with the switch to set off the rocket are, it bounces off that sign above the hole and starts sliding all over the place.

Are you sure it isn't bouncing off of the heads of the pigcops? I have tried throwing them against non enemy sprites (including flat signs and such) with no problems yet.

The problem you're mentioning happens often when you try to launch a pipebomb in an area full of slimer eggs, so I guess is something related to enemy sprites.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Nov 3 2010, 01:09 PM, said:

The problem you're mentioning happens often when you try to launch a pipebomb in an area full of slimer eggs, so I guess is something related to enemy sprites.

Like the end of Derelict?

• Duke Plus Developer

I probably won't have much time to investigate this or work on my mods for the next week, by the way.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hey guys, does polymer have an occlusion method of dissapearing objects behind walls or something? I mean... sometimes it's too obvious.
For example if I make an interior with a window that I can look outside, and then in the outside I make a second floor or bridges made out of sprites, whenever I look from the edge of the window the sprites will get obviously cut off making the whole spritework useless as stuff dissapears right in front of you.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Also is it normal that sometimes Mapster32 uses like 500 mb of memory?

• el fundador

View PostDavoX, on Nov 8 2010, 08:36 AM, said:

Also is it normal that sometimes Mapster32 uses like 500 mb of memory?

Sure, that's possible if it's a large map in terms of filesize and you've made a lot of revisions to it during that editing session.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Actually the map was 250 kb in size when this happened and I didn't spend much time with it, less than 5 minutes. (It doesn't last too much anyway as Mapster32 tends to crash often.)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

When I include a.m32 and enable all events to help we work with polymer lights, I find the largest hitag I can add (at least to lights, I don't know about other sprites) is 16000. This is quite a hinderance when I want to put in some large spotlights or pointlights, especially since I don't see a reason for it; polymer might have been slow in the past but for me at least it can handle very large spotlights without dropping to a low framerate.

Is there any chance this limit can be removed? Everything about a.m32 is so awesome, it can just get frustrating when I have to stop using it in order to put in larger lights.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Holy crap Mapster32 just reached 1.6 gb in memory use! That's more than the unreal editor!

This post has been edited by DavoX: 10 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options