Duke4.net Forums: How to enable Bloom on eduke32? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to enable Bloom on eduke32?

User is offline   LkMax 

I saw a video with Light Bloom on eduke and I want to enable it, specially for explosion and effects. ;) So?

This post has been edited by LkMax: 06 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I believe that effect is long dead. If I recall correctly it worked for a short time and the creator never released the source (breaking the GPL) and has been spurned.

However, there is hope since Polymer was released is being updated regularly to produce better lighting.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/

You can probably get away with the current version from July. You would need some other stuff to make it work with the original levels however.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Google for "bloom half-life", it'll give you a DLL file that's a modified OpenGL front-end that adds a bloom pass after rendering. If you just drop it next to eduke32.exe, it should load it and apply the effect. However I seem to remember it conflicts with Polymer since it relies on the application not using offscreen rendering, so you might get visual glitches.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Apparently there is more than one such bloom mod. I have attached the one that I got a few years back, and I don't know if there is a better one out there. Maybe someone can let me know.

Just put the contents of the bloom folder in your eduke folder. There are 4 items: cg.dll, cgGL.dll, opengl32.dll, and the cgprograms folder, all of which need to be at the root level with your eduke32.exe. I have assumed that all of these are necessary but haven't checked.

It works with both Polymost and Polymer, but with Polymer there are more glitches. Imo it looks like crap with Polymer and is not worth using, but in Polymost it often makes for some niftier looking effects. Fires definitely look better, for example.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  bloom.rar (348.16K)
    Number of downloads: 378

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the download DT, I gave it a go and it's certainly a different experience. It's a funky mix of things made more realistic and others being blurred to the extreme, and I'd rather wait a year or how ever long it takes for bloom to come to polymer

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostDeeperThought, on Oct 7 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

Apparently there is more than one such bloom mod. I have attached the one that I got a few years back, and I don't know if there is a better one out there. Maybe someone can let me know.

Just put the contents of the bloom folder in your eduke folder. There are 4 items: cg.dll, cgGL.dll, opengl32.dll, and the cgprograms folder, all of which need to be at the root level with your eduke32.exe. I have assumed that all of these are necessary but haven't checked.

It works with both Polymost and Polymer, but with Polymer there are more glitches. Imo it looks like crap with Polymer and is not worth using, but in Polymost it often makes for some niftier looking effects. Fires definitely look better, for example.

Thanks, worked well here ;)
The explosions and effects (like fire, for example) are much better with it, even with no HRP or Polymer.

Yes, like Micky C said, some textures are blurred to the extreme, but maybe it's still worth.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 07 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Is there a bloom effect that works with the latest versions of eduke?

Nevermind I was using a 64bit version of eduke and this only works with 32bit ... :angry:

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 02 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

By the sounds of things it shouldn't be too hard to add official bloom to polymerNG.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMike Norvak, on 02 May 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Is there a bloom effect that works with the latest versions of eduke?

Nevermind I was using a 64bit version of eduke and this only works with 32bit ... :angry:

Yeah, I've been searching around for 64bit bloom mods. Found reshade and am trying to get something working, no luck yet. It loads up but I can't enable bloom or at least don't know how yet. I think I need to set up shaders myself still. Maybe read the instructions or something dumb like that.

http://reshade.me/

View PostMicky C, on 03 May 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

By the sounds of things it shouldn't be too hard to add official bloom to polymerNG.

PolymerNG will come with HDR and Tonemapping.

User is offline   Kyanos 

32bit and 64bit bloom for current builds of eduke- instructions
**Polymost and software 8bit renderer only, does not work with polymer.

get reshade 1.1 with sweetfx 2.0 here http://reshade.me/sweetfx#download

put it into the root folder with eduke32.exe

rename either ReShade32.dll or ReShade64.dll to opengl32.dll depending on what version of eduke32.exe you have (64bit or 32bit builds have the same name eduke32.exe, and also yes the 64bit dll needs to be named opengl32.dll)

now to turn on bloom and HDR in the settings file, and turn OFF lumasharpen
ReShade 1.1.0 with SweetFX 2.0\SweetFX\SweetFX_settings.txt

toggle lines 29 & 30 to 1 from 0 then turn off lumasharpen from a 1 to a 0 on line 31
#define USE_BLOOM         	1 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR           	1 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN   	0 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image.

finally I adjusted the fine settings lower down, lines 180 - 190 (default seemed dark, these settings are a little too bright for me maybe??)
   /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                       Bloom settings                        /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define BloomThreshold      25.00    //[0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower           2.50   //[0.000 to 8.000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth           0.10  //[0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                        HDR settings                         /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define HDRPower             1.10    //[0.00 to 8.00] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2              1.00    //[0.00 to 8.00] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

Posted Image

Works best with the HRP and Polymost override pack.

CRT scanlines anyone?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Drek: 03 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you want the two bitnesses to coexist, you might be able to hex edit the exe to rename opengl32.dll to whatever you want.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 May 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

If you want the two bitnesses to coexist, you might be able to hex edit the exe to rename opengl32.dll to whatever you want.

I tried that, not that I have a need to but just curious. Anyways, the exe did pick up the renamed dll but then something down the line loading libraries failed.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Drek: 03 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

With Bloom:
Posted Image

Without Bloom:
Posted Image

I played around with bloom some more, I'll admit it looks pretty when running highres art.
This is the current HRP (5.4) with the polymost override pack (5.4.674)
These pics are from different effects than the instructions I posted above. It's using the full reshade 1.1 download, with the GemFX Bloom instead of SweetFX. I liked the extra options of a lighten only bloom, + the 32bit float for HDR Level Rendering.

Settings in spoiler.
Spoiler

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

My word, where's the shading? Bloom or not, that corridor looks completely flat. :angry:

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 04 May 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

My word, where's the shading? Bloom or not, that corridor looks completely flat. :angry:

It's flickering lights when playing... From the start of e2l2 incubator, when the shuttle docks with the station.

View PostDrek, on 04 May 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

It's flickering lights when playing... From the start of e2l2 incubator, when the shuttle docks with the station.

Maybe it would be best, to post a video?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 04 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The problem with that bloom hack was that it would cause white pixels to glow regardless of whether they were in something that should actually be glowing. Otherwise it's pretty nice. If it could be controlled -- like if there were a number you could set on tile numbers setting bloom amount (default being none) -- then it would be very useful.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View Posticecoldduke, on 04 May 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

Maybe it would be best, to post a video?

Here you go. (it's pretty shitty resolution, couldn't record fullscreen, or be bothered to hook up my pc to the widescreen in the living room, where I should record from.)

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 May 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

The problem with that bloom hack was that it would cause white pixels to glow regardless of whether they were in something that should actually be glowing. Otherwise it's pretty nice. If it could be controlled -- like if there were a flag you could set on tile numbers setting bloom amount (default being none) -- then it would be very useful.

I'd also agree with this, it's not how I would play. The game just plain wasn't designed for bloom, with a bit of work a mod to the HRP could be made that was more bloom friendly. And like you said, an engine side bloom that could be turned off and on per texture would be ideal.

This post has been edited by Drek: 04 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options