My school library level [WIP]  "a nearly done polymer map"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Map Released and reviewd at MSDN.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my second official map, it's a level centred on one building based on my school library and makes heavy use of polymer lights, BUT there is a nice level of sector based shading for those who don't have the computer power. It's going to be out soon, definitely within 3 weeks (I'm going on holiday.) Although all that has to be done is multi-player related.

You might ask "well why are you spoiling the map by posting pictures?" my reply would be: those pictures are nothing compared to what it looks like in-game. I've positioned lots of point lights to emphasize the great specular and normal maps in the HRP (a big thanks to the HRP team), and a few spotlights where I could spare them. As I said before, there's nothing like seeing it in-game (if you can run it), and the design is much less linear and overall better than my first map Action Time on 7, probably because the layout actually makes sense :)

This was born out of the NBCBP, so I'd like to thank Oporix for pressuring me to get this thing done. Comments are appreciated :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Alexx 

Nice work

User is offline   Spiker 

Good to see a new map being almost done :) The screens look good but there isn't too much to comment on until this is released.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Should post a photo of the outside of the actual building from the same angle so we can see the resemblance.

User is offline   Jinroh 

MusicallyInspired, on Sep 24 2010, 08:11 AM, said:

Should post a photo of the outside of the actual building from the same angle so we can see the resemblance.

Do you want the crazies to throw him in the jail?! ^o^ Didn't we have a big discussion about the stigma against these kinda levels not long ago? Hehe.

Looking pretty good thus far though. ^^ Looks like it'll be good for some DMs Micky. ^^

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 23 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

• Honored Donor

Thanks everyone

I should post a picture of the front huh, but it's the holidays and I don't really want to go back to school just to take a photo :)

However I have this old photo of the back, so I'll do the comparison for that:
Posted Image Posted Image

Hmm I'll edit the back to make it look a tad closer to the original.

When I started this I tried to make it as close to the actual building as possible, but as you would have figured, when I got further and further in things started to prevent me from doing that, so I reworked the whole thing to make it only based on the building, plus a futuristic touch.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Wow, looks really close. ^^ Keep it up Manowar!

• Honored Donor

Actually I've just finished it :) I spent all day working on multiplayer and difficulty modes/refining weapon placements.

Of course now's the time I'd really appreciate if someone would volunteer to play through it once or twice to confirm everything's as it should be. If anyone's willing to do this can they send me a pm? Otherwise I won't be able to release this before my trip and the testing phase could drag on :) the perspective of someone who doesn't know the level layout like the back of their hand is soooo helpful

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd play it for you, but I can't use Polymer.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Don't go all Columbine on us.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Hendricks266, on Sep 26 2010, 11:11 PM, said:

I was waiting for this comment...I was going to make it myself but declined.

• Honored Donor

Captain Awesome, on Sep 27 2010, 12:46 PM, said:

I'd play it for you, but I can't use Polymer.

I hope you meant that you *will* play it, not that you *would* play it, since I sent you a pm with the download link. So far I've sent the map to 3 testers; Captain Awesome, Jinroh, and Awesomebob. I really appreciate you doing this and if any of you need someone to beta test your maps, I'll be the first in line :)

Hendricks266, on Sep 27 2010, 01:41 PM, said:

There really isn't anything to worry about down under since they barely let us have any guns. In fact, the teachers would probably let me show the level to other students in class :)

Edit: I'll be leaving for Hong Kong for a week tomorrow, so I won't be able to release the map before then :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 26 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The Columbine guys didn't actually make maps of their school in Doom anyway.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Of course they did...and they trained in the game how to kill people. Everyone knows this...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, it is speculated that Eric Harris (He was the only one that built maps, Dylan played them) actually did build a map of parts of Columbine. However, this .WAD known as RealDoom, as well as upwards of 11 others, are now lost to time. It is believed that this WAD was unfinished, and as such he never distributed it. Eric didn't like to distribute his maps on the internet, he preferred to send them by email/personal message. His UAC Labs WAD is actually pretty good given the time it was released. Almost all of his text files for other WADs say that you should email him for more info on RealDoom. He was extremely proud of it. Unfortunately his and Dylan's pc's were probably trashed.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 27 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Guest_Pikachu_*

You probably shouldn't release the map, shit's still hot:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/28/texas....rss_igoogle_cnn

User is offline   Lunick 

I think from the screenshots it looks good. And i don't think anyone would care if he released the map

• Honored Donor

Yeah I'm definitely releasing it, and I've seen bowling fir columbine.

Although I can't actually work on the map for the next 6 or so days, progress is still being done. Captain Awesome has given me an amazing list of tips for possible improvements and I'll try to work on as many if those as I can, of course at a point it becomes polishing a piece of glass, it'll never become a diamond :)

Jinroh has also sent me screenshots of misaligned textures, which my phone won't let me view ATM :) but I'll take a look at them when I get back.

Out of curiosity what difficulty setting did you guys use? I intended come get some to be suitable for the average experienced player, and I hope it wasn't too easy or anything.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a good map, especially since Micky is a newcomer. I'll be happy to see what he releases in the future.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Nice shots! Looking forwards for the release ;)

User is offline   SwissCm 

Hendricks266, on Sep 28 2010, 02:02 AM, said:

The Columbine guys didn't actually make maps of their school in Doom anyway.

They did make some Doom maps though. They're pretty crappy.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

its just part of the school, i would send it to people who ask for it, because theese type of levels cause shit somtimes, just saying.

• Honored Donor

Nothing bad has ever happened like this in Australia! A few months ago, a kid brought a knife to school and did not use it, and it made national news coverage!

Edit: I'm back from holiday so I'll be able to release the map soon ;)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Mr.Gerolf, on Oct 4 2010, 08:09 AM, said:

its just part of the school, i would send it to people who ask for it, because theese type of levels cause shit somtimes, just saying.

Oh just stop, its just a map -.-, I really don't see what the big fuss is about.

Micky C, on Oct 6 2010, 09:28 AM, said:

Nothing bad has ever happened like this in Australia! A few months ago, a kid brought a knife to school and did not use it, and it made national news coverage!

Edit: I'm back from holiday so I'll be able to release the map soon ;)

Yes!

• Honored Donor

Ok here's the release! It's still at the point where I'm open to suggestions, but after all the time I've spent on this I don't really have the energy to do anything more than simple, quick fixes.

This was designed with any openGL renderer and the High Resolution Pack. Captain Awesome pm'd me, there are countless graphical bugs in software mode, but there is sector based shading for polymost, and some good looking dynamic lights for polymer.

It hasn't been tested by me personally without the HRP, or with any mods such as DukePlus, but I'm guessing the combinations of textures I've used from the HRP wouldn't look good together/simply wouldn't look good with their 8-bit counterparts.

That's enough talk, here's the download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7y3oxl

As always, comments are welcome (such as the choice of music for example). Enjoy ;)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Just finished it, left out four secrets and one enemy. Unfortunately my PC could not run both DukePlus and Polymer on this map so I decided in favor of gameplay. The outside area lacks some detail IMHO and so my expectations were lowered somehow but the inside architecture outweighed that easily. Rebuilds of real places tend to be boring to people who don't know them but not this one for sure. Interesting details and good action overall.
There is too much weaponry to collect before entering the building which makes life too easy, though. Plus, many enemys behind the forcefield windows can be taken out by explosives. Once you have regained some build energy I'd suggest rethinking the weapon placement and adding a few fat commanders in the bigger rooms. I really enjoyed playing this map which I expect to be rated between 88 and 91 by the usual reviewers.
EDIT: I did a quick re-run with polymer/god mode enabled - the overall atmosphere improved as drastically as my framrerate dropped. (Once I had figured out where _not_ to look it was somewhat playable.) The fat commander proposal only makes sense as long as too many enemys can be killed from the outside, btw.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 06 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I'm gonna check it out tomorrow, I am looking forward to doing so.

I'm half tempted to release my small part from the CBP, what's your opinion on this?

• Honored Donor

Well VisaneOne released his section ages ago, and since I've released mine I don't think it makes a difference if you release yours ;) It's not like we've heard anything about the NBCBP lately...

@ LeoD, thanks for the mini review. Perhaps I'll make more of the outside weapons multiplayer only, and I'll put in some more fat commanders in let's rock and above; piece of cake is meant to be for noobs with come get some being recommended for experienced players.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

While Micky's part makes up a decent user map, I would generally prefer the CBP to be finished by someone else than oporix if he can't do it. Otherwise some parts may get lost if they are not big enough to stand alone.
EDIT: IMHO a single player map should have a certain size otherwise there is not much replay value after presenting a few interesting aspects (like Sanek's maps for example). So if your part is less than say 2/3 of Micky's you should definetely force finishing the CBP or expand it noticably.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 06 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options