Duke4.net Forums: What do you think about 2 weapon system? - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think about 2 weapon system?  "Let's have our say..."

Poll: What weapon system you would like DNF to have? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

What weapon system you would like DNF to have?

1. Old school, Duke can carry all the weapons. (47 votes [58.02%])

Percentage of vote: 58.02%

2. New 2 weapon system. (14 votes [17.28%])

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

3. You can choose it before game starts, with all weapons default on PC, and 2 weapons default on console for noobs. (20 votes [24.69%])

Percentage of vote: 24.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   palan 

So hopefully George will hear our voice.

User is offline   Green 

Unfortunately it seems somewhat necessary to have the two weapon system in place in order to modernize Duke Nukem.
IMO, I don't agree with the decision but a majority of the gaming market these days is on consoles and the two weapon system is a convenience for the console gamers.

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

View PostMr. Green, on Sep 4 2010, 09:48 PM, said:

Unfortunately it seems somewhat necessary to have the two weapon system in place in order to modernize Duke Nukem.
IMO, I don't agree with the decision but a majority of the gaming market these days is on consoles and the two weapon system is a convenience for the console gamers.

why?

User is offline   Green 

Because console players find it a pain in the ass to go through a large amount of weapons.

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 04 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Problem is, that was the PC version.

I'm just hoping it's an automatic thing either based on difficulty, or using a controller, or at least removed for the PC Version, and possibly kept for console versions.

was it so difficult to select a weapon in, for example, Turok 2 on the N64? is it so complicated to have you hold down a button and move the analog/d-pad in the direction corresponding to a weapon slot?

This post has been edited by DuduKrazy: 04 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostDuduKrazy, on Sep 4 2010, 09:01 PM, said:

was it so difficult to select a weapon in, for example, Turok 2 on the N64? is it so complicated to have you hold down a button and move the analog/d-pad in the direction corresponding to a weapon slot?

It worked for Bioshock. Bioshock is a very big hit, and it had a massive amount of weapons including the plasmids. I think that it's completely wrong to move into the two weapon - weapon selection.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDuduKrazy, on Sep 4 2010, 06:01 PM, said:

Yeah, this idea has been repeated so many times, and nobody has given a logical explination as to why that doesnt work. The short answer is: It does work. It works perfectly.

The 2 weapon system is a, albeit small, shit stain on an otherwise awesome looking game, imho.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's always been 'Duke' to be able to carry a ridiculous amount of weapons.

I've always imagined someone asking "where do you hide all your weapons when you're not using them" Duke: "you don't want to know :D "

User is offline   You 

I usually don't like to get involved in these threads, espically drunk. But from reading Georges posts, I kinda understand where he is coming from.

When it comes to multiplayer, only being able to hold two guns at a time really adds to the strategy of the game. Knowing where a gun is, and how to use it effectively before it needs to be replaced/changed.

I'm all against this two gun thing, but if they do it right it should be absoloutly awesome.

speaking of modern gaming conventions, why you can only run for a short time in most fps games? what's wrong with running like a kenyan without ever getting tired?

User is offline   Green 

cuz its not ruhlistic!

• Judge Mental

View PostMr. Green, on Sep 4 2010, 06:27 PM, said:

cuz its not ruhlistic!

Yeah, by most modern FPS game standards, if they were to be believed. IM in better shape than our most elite special operators.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 04 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

cuz its not ruhlistic!

that makes sense for games that are supposed to be realistic (like the Call Of Duty series). but for games that have a more arcade gameplay, like Doom 3, it just doesn't look right for me.

This post has been edited by DuduKrazy: 04 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostDuduKrazy, on Sep 4 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

that makes sense for games that are supposed to be realistic (like the Call Of Duty series). but for games that have a more arcade gameplay, like Doom 3, it just doesn't look right for me.

I agree completely. The game is supposed to fun and have good graphics and such that make it realistic. The actions shouldn't be nit-picky realistic.

User is offline   palan 

View PostDuduKrazy, on Sep 5 2010, 03:22 AM, said:

speaking of modern gaming conventions, why you can only run for a short time in most fps games? what's wrong with running like a kenyan without ever getting tired?

YEAH.
And sh*t if you want to run even faster, just get the damn steriods and enjoy. :D

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

There is one option on that poll that you are missing:
I don't give a flying fuck.

I voted for the carrying all weapons, though, because that is what I would prefer between the two but that isn't how it is and that isn't how it will be. You have to live with it. It adds strategy and difficulty to the game and I don't mind that. So long as pipe bombs and trip mines are quick keys, does it really matter? I generally use the chaingun or the shotgun almost exclusively in Duke3D because I like those guns. I can understand the mentality of "well, I want to be able to use them if I want to/have to" but the point is that if you need that gun to complete something, it will be made available to you in that part of the level. This isn't ideal, but it is how it is and you have to live with it. You don't wait 14 years for a game and then make demands about what you wanted in the game. That is why it took so damn long to make the game in the first place.

Also, steroids don't do anything to your running speed in real life. If anything, they make you slower.

• Judge Mental

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 4 2010, 07:25 PM, said:

It adds strategy and difficulty

No it doesnt. It just pisses people off.

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 4 2010, 07:42 PM, said:

No it doesnt. It just pisses people off.

QFT
What's all this shit with realism? What next? Are they going to make Mario go to jail after he squishes a Goomba or will the Goomba bleed to death in the future?
I don't get what's realistic about limiting people in doing some basic things that have been working for everybody for at least a decade.
The new generation of MW kids likes that because the devs are teaching them to like that not because they were born to hate the classic ways of handling an fps game.
You know that having 2 weapons doesn't make the game realistic because by definition the game isn't realistic AT ALL.
To be realistic you would have to fucking need food 3 times a day, you would have to take a shit not just piss, you would have to scratch your balls and when you took a bullet to the vital areas the game would have to trigger a script that uninstalls the game from your pc and forbids you to ever install it again until your format your hdd and give you the error "GAME & CHARACTER OVER MORON!!! YOU FUCKING GOT HIM KILLED! HE DIED!!! NO MORE GAME FOR YOU BECAUSE HE FUCKING DIED AND HE DOES NOT GET TO RESPAWN!!!"
Pretty fucking realistic right? One time death and it's game over!

Very challenging game kids, please buy many copies of the game so you can play once with each copy of the game! The more copies of the game you buy the more lives you will have, brought to you by fearbox $$$$$

You can't take an arcade game and strap a few limitations to it and then call it realistic.
Having an ego instead of life is so fucking arcade that it even makes DN3d look realistic in comparison LOL
In fact why are they calling DNF realistic when DN3d is actually more realistic than DNF is?

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 04 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

After a day of mulling over it I can safely say I'm over it now.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

ROTT had a four-weapon system. That being said, a two-weapon system would suck ass, even with pipebombs and tripbombs and quick keys. I hope this means akimbo weapons.

/leaves

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I think that a four system weapon system would have been better.
-Fist/Foot/etc
-Pistol/second pistol/etc
-Shotty/Ripper/etc
-RPG/Devistator/Shrinker/etc

View PostDuduKrazy, on Sep 4 2010, 09:01 PM, said:

That's almost a good example except the nintendo 64 controller is the most god awful retarded concept of a controller in the history of video games and controllers.

I think its a joke

User is offline   palan 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 5 2010, 04:25 AM, said:

There is one option on that poll that you are missing:
I don't give a flying fuck.

I voted for the carrying all weapons, though, because that is what I would prefer between the two but that isn't how it is and that isn't how it will be. You have to live with it. It adds strategy and difficulty to the game and I don't mind that. So long as pipe bombs and trip mines are quick keys, does it really matter? I generally use the chaingun or the shotgun almost exclusively in Duke3D because I like those guns. I can understand the mentality of "well, I want to be able to use them if I want to/have to" but the point is that if you need that gun to complete something, it will be made available to you in that part of the level. This isn't ideal, but it is how it is and you have to live with it. You don't wait 14 years for a game and then make demands about what you wanted in the game. That is why it took so damn long to make the game in the first place.

Also, steroids don't do anything to your running speed in real life. If anything, they make you slower.

Who gives a shit about real life. If its like that aliens don't exist too.
When playing duke is all about the experience, enjoyment and fun gameplay.
Don't give that real life crap. It's duke.

View Postpalan, on Sep 5 2010, 02:29 AM, said:

Who gives a shit about real life. If its like that aliens don't exist too.
When playing duke is all about the experience, enjoyment and fun gameplay.
Don't give that real life crap. It's duke.

This man is speaking the truph!!!

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't like it, but I can live with it. And blaming this on consoles is unfair. And calling console gamers noobs.... Well.... That's just stupid.

View PostLotan, on Sep 5 2010, 03:27 AM, said:

I don't like it, but I can live with it. And blaming this on consoles is unfair. And calling console gamers noobs.... Well.... That's just stupid.

Well, not all console players are noobs but among 360/ps3/wii fans you can find the biggest amount of noobs.
There are pc noobs too but for some reasons there are not so many as the ones you find playing console games.
The reason why this is happening is because lots of kids get consoles while pc gamers tend to be older usually and you find less kids playing on pcs these days.

User is offline   Lunick 

If it did happen, couldnt a mod be made to make all weapons available?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostLunick, on Sep 5 2010, 01:45 PM, said:

If it did happen, couldnt a mod be made to make all weapons available?

Possibly, but this affects more than just the weapon selection. The entire game will be balanced with this in mind.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options