Duke4.net Forums: What do you think about 2 weapon system? - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think about 2 weapon system?  "Let's have our say..."

Poll: What weapon system you would like DNF to have? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

What weapon system you would like DNF to have?

1. Old school, Duke can carry all the weapons. (47 votes [58.02%])

Percentage of vote: 58.02%

2. New 2 weapon system. (14 votes [17.28%])

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

3. You can choose it before game starts, with all weapons default on PC, and 2 weapons default on console for noobs. (20 votes [24.69%])

Percentage of vote: 24.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Considering the we have UT III with all those weapons mapped to a console control, the 2 weapon system in DNF is complete bullshit. Gearbox should fix it before releasing the retail version of the game.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View Postpalan, on Sep 5 2010, 05:29 AM, said:

Who gives a shit about real life. If its like that aliens don't exist too.
When playing duke is all about the experience, enjoyment and fun gameplay.
Don't give that real life crap. It's duke.

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I remember reading somewere from a developer that the quick kick would be there, since it's a mark of the game. And despite the realism, you would, like the classic game, kick and run at the same time.

So yeah, expect have all weapons. :D

View PostMr. Green, on Sep 4 2010, 09:48 PM, said:

Unfortunately it seems somewhat necessary to have the two weapon system in place in order to modernize Duke Nukem.
IMO, I don't agree with the decision but a majority of the gaming market these days is on consoles and the two weapon system is a convenience for the console gamers.
There are some modern games that have multiple weapons. For example, in GTA you can have all weapons at once, so you can use a Minigun while keeping the Rocket Launcher and Shotgun in your pockets. :D

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I hope the melee attack for DNF is Duke's mighty foot at least.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 05 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

Deeperthought made an excellent response to this the other day.
You people are forgetting that it's a game design choice. Simply giving the player the choice to either start the game with the 2-weapon system or go old school with all of them at once would break the game.

Everything you see and do in the game will be tailored especially to this experience and you people are forgetting that in games such as Half-Life and Red Dead Redemption, you can carry all weapons at once so it has jack shit to do with realism, "modern games" and with people simply being "noobs".

It's not going to change so stop bickering about it. It will get you nowhere.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRusty Nails, on Sep 5 2010, 10:14 AM, said:

Deeperthought made an excellent response to this the other day.
You people are forgetting that it's a game design choice. Simply giving the player the choice to either start the game with the 2-weapon system or go old school with all of them at once would break the game.

Heh, I did say that but I didn't say that it was a good game design choice. That remains to be seen. I believe it could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on other choices they make.

It does have something to do with realism, but every game makes choices about which aspects of reality to simulate. In HL2 they decided to simulate the physics of hard bodies realistically, but the player is very old-school (can carry all weapons at once, no locational damage or bleeding wounds, etc.) Those were good choices for that game; it was real enough to be immersive without being annoying.

The weapon limit forces the player to make tough choices about which weapons to carry and makes him feel like they are real, weighty objects that have to be somewhere on his person rather than weightless magical spells that pop out of thin air every time you press a weapon key. Those could be good things. Remember, folks, every fps game has some realism. Even good old Duke 3D has falling damage. That can be annoying, too, but I don't hear anyone saying that it shouldn't have been in the game. The point is, the generic claim that "realism sucks" is false.

Having only two weapons at a time won't seem so limiting if each weapon has multiple uses. With alt-fire modes, multiple aiming modes and melee attacks (only what is appropriate for each weapon of course) the player can still have a lot tools available with two weapons.

User is offline   Rehbock 

these topics are pretty useless imo.
noone of us even thinking of getting a console version of dnf and the pc version based on ut2.5 engine, which is still modifyable.
If they dont do it right we still can fix it. (i hope we wont have to fix alot of stuff)

User is offline   Sebastian 

I will most probably end up getting it for both. PC for modding (obviously) and 360 for social playing. To each his own I guess.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRehbock, on Sep 5 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

these topics are pretty useless imo.
noone of us even thinking of getting a console version of dnf and the pc version based on ut2.5 engine, which is still modifyable.
If they dont do it right we still can fix it. (i hope we wont have to fix alot of stuff)

If they don't do it right, the game may not be popular enough to support a modding community willing to spend time fixing it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I voted for the third option because it is the most sensible. The PC version should definitely have an old school weapon system. In the very least I would like to be able to carry all my weapons in an inventory (much like Borderlands) and be able to switch them that way.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

We haven't been shown any multiplayer footage. I wonder if they have even started working on muliplayer yet and I sure as hell hope you can carry more than 2 guns multiplayer.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Here's what someone who played the demo at PAX says about weapons:

"I didn't have problems with ammo in what I played. On level 15 you have a multitude of guns, depending on how you want to approach the situation. I went for the sniper/shotgun combo, since that's what I'm comfortable with thanks to a long Halo 3 campaign without using any vehicles (except in the levels that require it). The guy next to me went pure shrink ray and just stepped on everyone, and another guy went for a pistol/shrink ray combo, shrunk the enemies and shot 'em. From what I gathered, it was indeed level 15, as it would be released, save for any bugs or issues they find. There's enough guns laying around, ammo shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, odds are the gun is so drat powerful they only give you so much to accomplish one goal. the game is at least 17 levels. I'm pretty sure every weapon will feature several times in prominent locations and battles. Don;t worry, you'll get your boom on."

The source and more of what he said can be found here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;userid=114524

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 06 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

You know what guys , this thread WINS

I totally agree, OLD style is better

And the funnies thing was the third choice of poll , sarcastic and obvious and could also be the biggest PC SPOOF in history of gaming if they made it , the idea of the "default", i almost blew of laugh , you made my day with it, i lauged hard. But a spoof agains consolers , those noobs wouldn't notice the configurable option , and we on pc woul OBVIOUSLY be all using the full arsenal , because the WHOLE idea and method is NOT balanced at all , of course you won't use the 2weapon thing!

I really don't like 2 weapon system , i hope they hear us.

If you saw what GB replies to the shacknews outcry about 2weapons , he said he wasn't sure him self , and doesn't know what will happen with it in the future.

This post has been edited by RuskiSnajper: 06 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

View PostLotan, on Sep 5 2010, 08:27 AM, said:

I don't like it, but I can live with it. And blaming this on consoles is unfair. And calling console gamers noobs.... Well.... That's just stupid.

I totally agree with that.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 06 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostLotan, on Sep 5 2010, 07:27 AM, said:

And blaming this on consoles is unfair.

Um, why? GB admitted this change was due to control limitations on the console.

Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard"

http://www.shacknews...n.x?id=23904897

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 7 2010, 07:44 AM, said:

I totally agree with that.

I agreet oo. I hate that it is going to stray from Classic Duke Formula, but I played and enjoyed Halo 2 and it had the two weapon limitation. So I guess it's not THAT big a deal outside of it's very UN-DUKE-LIKE.

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Sep 6 2010, 09:35 PM, said:

Um, why? GB admitted this change was due to control limitations on the console.

Do you really believe he's telling the truth?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

One of the fun parts of Halo MP was/is being the one who grabs the shotgun/sniper rifle/sword/rocket launcher first and keeps other players from getting it.
Sure, it is cool to have multiple weapons but the 2 weapon thing is fine. It is not a game breaker.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 6 2010, 09:51 PM, said:

One of the fun parts of Halo MP was/is being the one who grabs the shotgun/sniper rifle/sword/rocket launcher first and keeps other players from getting it.
Sure, it is cool to have multiple weapons but the 2 weapon thing is fine. It is not a game breaker.

They might have a slightly different weapon setup system then Halo. Like weapons my re-spawn faster and go away when some one picks that weapon up for ammo.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 6 2010, 05:51 PM, said:

Yeah, and one of the fun parts in Duke3D is collecting the whole arsenal and bumming Vinny across Stadium everynight. You can play keep away just as easily with access to the full arsenal.

User is offline   3dwizard 

Halo is a childish game.
Mass Effect is a much better representation of what Halo could have been if it was a serious game for older people.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 06 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

A childish game that doesn't innovate anything with each new release besides new ways of convincing people to buy the same thing over and over again.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 6 2010, 07:16 PM, said:

A childish game that doesn't innovate anything with each new release besides new ways of convincing people to buy the same thing over and over again.

In the first halo I did notice a universe that was kind of ambiental and interesting in a way, but the npc's and the gameplay itself made the game seem like it was designed for 12 year olds. There were some really fucking lame npcs there that made some of the gayest pokemon sounds I've ever heard in a sf game.
I think this was the one
Posted Image
How can you have such characters in an fps game and think it's not childish is beyond me...

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 06 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes. I've played it. I know. I'm agreeing with you. I'm sadly the owner of a copy of Halo 3. Came with my XBox.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRuskiSnajper, on Sep 7 2010, 01:56 AM, said:

But a spoof agains consolers , those noobs wouldn't notice the configurable option , and we on pc woul OBVIOUSLY be all using the full arsenal , because the WHOLE idea and method is NOT balanced at all , of course you won't use the 2weapon thing!

"We on pc", "those noobs". You do understand that many people here have both - PC and console(s)?

"crunchysuperman" said:

GB admitted this change was due to control limitations on the console.

Yet there are games with multiple weapon system. I didn't have any problem with HL2 having lots of weapons. And again, most PC gamers are using mouse wheel to change weapons anyway. You don't need to map every weapon(at least for single player experience).

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostVinsaneOne, on Sep 6 2010, 05:31 PM, said:

I went for the sniper/shotgun combo

[fanboy]Why would Duke Nukem use a sniper rifle? :D[/fanboy]

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 06 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 6 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

Yeah, and one of the fun parts in Duke3D is collecting the whole arsenal and bumming Vinny across Stadium everynight. You can play keep away just as easily with access to the full arsenal.

Yea, you aint nothing without your freeze thrower pal! :D

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostVinsaneOne, on Sep 6 2010, 10:44 PM, said:

Yea, you aint nothing without your freeze thrower pal! :D

*cracks knuckles* Turn around, Vinny. *SHOTGUN TO THE FACE*

Ooooh, thats gotta hurt!

User is offline   Awesomebob 

I like the two weapon system, it adds a touch of realism as well as forcing the player to choose what weapons to take and what to leave behind. In Cod4 and Crysis it was a constant battle to pick between assault / sniper or assault / shotty or assault / splody-thing. I liked that.

Edit: As long as pistol and grenade / pipe bomb are in their own slots and not part of the two weapon system. This always made me wonder about CoD4; Why can't I sling a rifle, carry my assault and holster my pistol?

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 06 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options