• You cannot reply to this topic

SuperTrooper  "a new enemy for Duke"

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

Some new stuff !

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V1izdTRNlmQ

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Nice character concept. Does he use the melee attack primarily? The gun accuracy is kind of weak, but that is probably fine because no one likes the bad guys who hit you 100% of the time.

User is offline   Stabs 

Actually wondering about this the other day, so many melee attack animations, this is going to look great once it all works properly

def putting this into the next DNE patch if its done by then :wacko:

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Great stuff, although the first thing that came to my mind was this:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=saag5yKhv_s

I suggest splitting the new guy into two versions (like the green/red basic trooper):
- A fast running melee attacker (Doom's "shaved gorillas" come to mind), turning up groupwise
- A normal moving guy using those cool blue balls

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Loving it!

Not sure about the ranged attack, it doesn't really fit the theme of the trooper imo and it could look better. But the model and animations are superb.

Maybe there could be a version that only uses melee (this is good for gameplay reasons) and another that has a ranged attack that compliments the blades.

So I have been thinking: with the Dukebike, this new trooper, and some civilians added to the mix (those have always been lacking in Duke), we'll have the resources to make an episode that truly makes Duke feel like a modern game. More stuff for DanM to play with, in other words.

User is offline   Stabs 

lol as morbid as it may sound i would love some dead bodies, cops, suits, stoners, hookers etc etc :wacko:

User is online   zykov eddy 

Freakin' awesome.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

He's so cute.

Mmm... looks like a special trooper from "THE GATE" episodes without the helmet.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Very nice! I love how you code your things.

I have some design suggestions however:

You're going for a sleek design, so replace the trooper's right shoulder armor (the spikes!) with something more simple and stylish. Look at Predator or Samurai armor. I say Samurai because that cloth thing hanging down from his pelvis reminds me of those.

The head looks like a square with a mouth and two eyes painted on the front. I know you're going for the original Liztrooper design but since you're making this one "Super" you should take some more liberties with its nature. Extend the eyes farther to the sides and deeper in the skull, sculpt it some more!

Also I suggest putting some more armor plates on its legs and thighs like so! http://i36.tinypic.com/15pjqcj.jpg

Keep up the great work and post progress!

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

made this armor today, thanks a lot for advices !

Posted Image
By muelsa373 at 2010-08-30

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Looks good but this version has become a bit too special/samurai-like to be widely used IMHO.
If I were a mapper I'd prefer the previous version minus the apron and the shoulder spikes.
You might add some blades to the feet and animate a roundhouse kick as deadly as the fat commander's spinning attack in DukePlus.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

This video shows the Trooper in battle, still some bugs and some features are not added yet, I still work and I hope you like this ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U3s3hymn13s

User is offline   Sebastian 

I really don't like his range attacks since they seem almost unfair to the player but shit! Those melee attacks and A.I features you did where he circles around you is fucking amazing.

If I may be so bold to request it - can you make one type where he uses melee attacks only? ;)

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostSebastian, on Feb 18 2011, 12:10 PM, said:

I really don't like his range attacks since they seem almost unfair to the player but shit! Those melee attacks and A.I features you did where he circles around you is fucking amazing.

If I may be so bold to request it - can you make one type where he uses melee attacks only? ;)

I made some skins without shoulder canon and he use only melee attacks. :P

• Duke Plus Developer

Amazing work! ;) And I'm glad to see it is already working with DP.

A few suggestions:

Make him continue to move forward during some of the melee attacks, so he is slicing while dashing or leaping. It looks like there are already compatible animations.

Make him pause after some attacks and become vulnerable with a period of about 1 second during which he will not deflect attacks.

Make it easy to adjust the behavior, so that there could be some that don't deflect, some that use only melee, etc. This could be controlled either by pal or by bits in the monstflags variable of DP (which is used for similar stuff in other monsters).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The way that thing interacts with RPGs is amazing! How it animates when thrown back by an explosion, and how it can deflect rockets. ;) The ranged attack won't be so unfair in the game because IMO you said you were going to add some kind of bullet time near the super trooper?

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is that when the trooper is right up next to you doing melee attacks, the animations appear a bit choppy at times - no pun intended.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 18 2011, 01:29 PM, said:

Make him continue to move forward during some of the melee attacks, so he is slicing while dashing or leaping. It looks like there are already compatible animations.

he is controled frame by frame when he is walking forword during attacks he move forward ;) maybe he is too slow ?

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 18 2011, 01:29 PM, said:

Make him pause after some attacks and become vulnerable with a period of about 1 second during which he will not deflect attacks.

I still working on his behavior, for now, he his randomly hitted, deflect, dodge... I'll think about it

View PostMicky C, on Feb 18 2011, 01:30 PM, said:

you were going to add some kind of bullet time near the super trooper?
The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is that when the trooper is right up next to you doing melee attacks, the animations appear a bit choppy at times - no pun intended.

I thought to use the bullet time to the melee attack, but not for ranged attack, the ranged attack is not very difficult to avoid and it is not very effective

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMuelsa, on Feb 18 2011, 08:23 PM, said:

This video shows the Trooper in battle, still some bugs and some features are not added yet, I still work and I hope you like this ;)

This is GREAT! Can't wait to play DNE.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

They realy look great! Can they ever be killed or was it set that way for the demonstration? I wanna see one die, but thats just me!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Great work. The animation is superb, but sh*t, how DO you kill them?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

thanks all

View PostTea Monster, on Feb 18 2011, 02:13 PM, said:

Great work. The animation is superb, but sh*t, how DO you kill them?

Ahahah he can't die! Need dying animation ;)

This post has been edited by Muelsa: 18 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

thats just ;)

he really looks like he is going to do wonders in balancing out the combat, finally something with proj as his secondry and melee as primary, and will fit in with alot more situations than a new beast can.

he looks tough too so i wont need to use quanity in some areas and get some fps back

i really love he gets knocked around by rockets and reflects them... like a dirty pyro :P

next vid you should put them up against some new beasts like alien vs pred heh

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDanM, on Feb 18 2011, 03:34 PM, said:

next vid you should put them up against some new beasts like alien vs pred heh

you always have good ideas, like this new trooper.. I'll try to make fights between new beast and new trooper ;)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice one.
How many HP they have.
Look like you hit them millions of times and they didn't drop.

The super trooper didn't look unfair in any way. There are ways to dodge all of his attacks, and he is open to attacks all the time. At least i think he is xD Model looks nice compared to other 3d enemies, still not better than 2d sprites if you ask me. Attacks looked cool, nice sounds too.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostMuelsa, on Feb 18 2011, 05:59 PM, said:

you always have good ideas, like this new trooper.. I'll try to make fights between new beast and new trooper ;)

Here's an idea that came to me after reading Zaxtor's post....

View PostZaxtor, on Feb 18 2011, 06:00 PM, said:

Nice one.
How many HP they have.
Look like you hit them millions of times and they didn't drop.

Give them a jet pack. It's their built-in automatic defense system which activates only after being hit x amount of times just to get away and find cover. They fly fast but they only have like 10 seconds before running out of fuel. If he does, a 3 second self-destruct begins so don't be too close when it goes off. It will kill most monsters as well. The only other way to kill him is when he's in the air, needing 3 shots of any weapon other than one good shot with rpg. But, if he finds a place to land before you can kill him or runs out of fuel, beware! He will regenerate and you'll have to start over. They won't land in very high places because after regeneration, the jet pack becomes useless.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMuelsa, on Feb 18 2011, 02:59 PM, said:

That should be pretty easy, since you are already using DukePlus. Set EXTRA on the NEWBEAST sprites to 16384 (player ally). And make sure that your super trooper uses state monsterai in its code before ifhitweapon.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 18 2011, 09:54 PM, said:

And make sure that your super trooper uses state monsterai in its code before ifhitweapon.

Where is this state? I can not find it ... I also would like the duke ally could see the trooper and vice versa.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Reminds me of the Skaarj from Unreal.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options