Duke4.net Forums: HRP White Squares - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HRP White Squares

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The ATI drivers are not open-source. AMD/ATI ships proprietary, binary, closed-source drivers for Windows (Catalyst) and Linux (fglrx) and they're very very much not open-source. There are open-source drivers for linux based on the specifications they released, though. Nothing for windows. So-called third-party drivers (Omega drivers, etc) are the same exact drivers with some registry tweaks enabling sometimes hidden functionality.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPlagman, on Dec 31 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

The ATI drivers are not open-source. AMD/ATI ships proprietary, binary, closed-source drivers for Windows (Catalyst) and Linux (fglrx) and they're very very much not open-source. There are open-source drivers for linux based on the specifications they released, though. Nothing for windows. So-called third-party drivers (Omega drivers, etc) are the same exact drivers with some registry tweaks enabling sometimes hidden functionality.

... butting in again, yet, is anyone from the Eduke32 team in contact with AMD? (I have none, no reason.) But some programmer from AutoCad (Karl) said they are quite helpfull. Slow, but once they answer, it usually works out.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I do have contacts, but I don't want to waste their time until I know exactly what's going wrong in this case. I know it has to do with mipmaps and texture compression, but there are still a lot of unknowns as far as I'm concerned. I need to be able to reproduce the issue hands-on in order to formulate an accurate bug report (if it turns out it is a genuine problem on their side). I'll do that as soon as I get my hands on the required hardware.

User is offline   Massacher 

i d/led the latest version of the HRP with polymer (v4.2.174), but it creates a huge drop in frame rate. down to 30fps and at times even under 20fps. it also sort of half freezes when killing enemies. like the animation isn't smooth. the only thing i can think of to improve it is to lower the filtering in the duke renderer menu and/or set filtering manually in the CCC.

i have rolled back to Catalyst 10.3 drivers to be able to play without the white boxes issue.

i have tried playing without using the polymer and it doesn't look as good, but the frame rate drastically improves. going 200fps+

so i guess the polymer isn't optimized yet? how are nVidia users finding it. any frame rate issues?

my specs:

Core i7-860
Gigabyte P55A-UD5
G.Skill-Trident 4GB DDR3-1600
Sapphire HD5870 1GB
LG Flatron W2261VP (2ms)
ViewSonic 19" WS (2ms)
WD SATA 1TB HDD x2
LG SATA 18x DVDRW x2
Thermaltake Evo_Blue 750Watt PSU
Noctua NH-C12P-SE14

running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

This post has been edited by Massacher: 25 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The FPS you are getting with Polymer are quite average for your system, there are certain console commands you can enter to slightly increase the fps, but it won't give you 200+
Also Polymer is not optimised yet especially for ATI users.

User is offline   Massacher 

well why not??!??!?!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMassacher, on Jan 27 2011, 05:37 AM, said:

well why not??!??!?!

Because the Polymer developer has a real life, too.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options