Duke4.net Forums: Rise of the Triad - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise of the Triad

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not a bad game when you get into it. The level design is somewhat basic and limited but other things make up for it like the groovy weapons, and the hilarious and ultra-fun special modes. Also the unlimited amounts of bullets allow you to just wander around shooting everyone endlessly without bothering with the hassle of conserving and finding ammo.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Heh, of course the level design is basic and limited... it uses the Wolf3D engine. :wacko:

User is offline   t800 

Have you tried any ports for this game? There are only two: WinRott and GlRott. IMO GlRott is better because it uses OpenGl and supports higher resolutions nad texture filtering. You can download both of them from this webpage:
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk

• Honored Donor

Yeah I've been playing it with GlRott. The problem is all my friends think I'm weird for liking games like ROTT and Duke Nukem 3D :wacko:

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on Aug 15 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

Yeah I've been playing it with GlRott. The problem is all my friends think I'm weird for liking games like ROTT and Duke Nukem 3D :wacko:

I get that too -.-

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's a problem? Who the flip cares? Be proud of your affinity for classic games!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 15 2010, 07:27 AM, said:

That's a problem? Who the flip cares? Be proud of your affinity for classic games!

Yeah most gamers today like fantastic graphics remember. I LOVE classic games however.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postt800, on Aug 15 2010, 05:08 AM, said:

Have you tried any ports for this game? There are only two: WinRott and GlRott. IMO GlRott is better because it uses OpenGl and supports higher resolutions nad texture filtering. You can download both of them from this webpage:
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk

I use icculus.org/rott. Those ports seem really clunky, and I don't give a damn about OMG HIGHRES SHIT!.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 15 2010, 12:59 PM, said:

I use icculus.org/rott. Those ports seem really clunky, and I don't give a damn about OMG HIGHRES SHIT!.

Win-ROTTGL has gotten alot better, they just released a new version too.

http://www.riseofthe....dk/RecNews.htm

• Honored Donor

Hmm, I got the impression he isn't really working on it that much anymore, which is a shame :wacko:

How many people here have actually played Rise of the Triad?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on Aug 16 2010, 09:40 PM, said:

Hmm, I got the impression he isn't really working on it that much anymore, which is a shame :wacko:

How many people here have actually played Rise of the Triad?

I have only just tried playing it and its ok.

I cant wait for the Doom version thats being made

• Honored Donor

does the doom version look any good? hmm it'd probably just end up feeling like doom anyway

View PostLunick, on Aug 16 2010, 07:21 AM, said:

I cant wait for the Doom version thats being made

You have a link for that? I cant seem to find it :wacko:

Edit: Never mind i found it. http://elzee.cz.cc/rott.html

Look awesome by the way, i can't wait for it to be finished.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 16 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

User is offline   Shawneth 

I have everyone hating me on likeing all these 90's 3D games. Lol, in fact my family is starting to think that my life revolves around Duke Nukem :wacko:.

I wish YANG supported Rise of the triads, hint hint.

User is offline   The Duke 

How About the rise of reaperman game? :wacko:

also i would love to play that game rise of the triad

This post has been edited by The Duke: 18 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

YANG should also add support to DOOM.

• Honored Donor

Apparently doom has it's own launcher: http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2565

Although ROTT online could be an experience...

ROTT is a weird game, I played the shareware and oh boy does it ever feel like a Doom clone, dooesn't anyone agree?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

All FPS games back then felt like Doom due to limitations. Actually, I don't even consider it a Doom-like experience but rather a early-to-mid 90s FPS experience. I enjoyed it as a kid.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's actually a Wolf clone, hehe.

If you like ROTT, play Commander Keen, and vice versa. It's the same Tom Hall goodness.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Rise Of The Triad was a hard game to finish. Having the convoluted secret passageways in a good portion of the levels didn't help (sometimes it felt like 60% of the level was just one giant secret area). That said, it definitely had some charm to it and I wish it could have adhered to the Wolfenstein 3D storyline. I loved the music.

• Honored Donor

Yeah Fastway's my favourite. Does anyone know of some good remixes of that song? nothing too different, but a remake with a modern touch

• Honored Donor

edit: whoa for some reason the exact same thing was posted twice, *delete*

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

I found the most epic battle ROTT Death-match video on Youtube today.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7sBFNJMME9o

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 15 2010, 11:54 AM, said:

I found the most epic battle ROTT Death-match video on Youtube today.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7sBFNJMME9o

That was kinda cramped

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I love ROTT but mostly when it was new I played the lasersoft shareware edition with the extra couple of episodes. It wasn't until recently that I got to play the full "dark war" version of the game. I typicallly like to play that through winrottgl as I prefer any game through 3d acceleration basically. It's true that the engine is Wolf3D based which is apparent by the 90 degree angle walls and level design however they modified the engine to provide panoramic skies, simulated dynamic lighting (which even gets affected if you shoot out a lamp making it darker), fog, bullet holes, breakable glass walls, level-over-level environments (made possible by "gravitational anomaly disks"; suspended objects that collectively form stairs, floors, etc.), and more. They had jump pads long before Quake III and UT had them. You could even do a rocket jump with the firebomb rocket launcher and asbestos armor which is how you are supposed to beat the final level.

It's a little like how irrational games and the developers of duke nukem forever modified the UE2.5 to have the features they wanted.

Anyway it's a little ironic this game is brought up here because people here are complaining about the weapon limitation in Duke Nukem Forever and ROTT was one of the first if not THE first to have a limited arsenal. In it you could only carry your pistol (1 or 2 for akimbo action) your MP40 and one type of rocket launcher which had limited ammo.. only 4 or 5 shots. When you run over another type or even the same type of rocket launcher it gets replaced in your inventory. Much of the game is swapping between your bullet weapon and your rocket launching weapon. But you could only have one bullet weapon equipped for that button so you could either toggle between pistols and rocket launcher or MP40 and rocket launcher. So I find it interesting that people think that kind of mechanic is console'y because PC games had it long before Halo even had it.

And hey it's an Apogee\3D Realms game so there's a precedent for a limited ammo system in their games.

My favorite special mode is the EKG mode for showers of blood when you blow up a character with a rocket launcher.

It was going to be a Wolfenstein expansion pack at first but John Carmack didn't allow them so they changed it to ROTT but to be honest I like how it turned out. It was a game I could literally play for hours and hours especially back in the day. I used to have it mastered so I always payed it at highest difficulty.

One last thing.... the graphics in that Doom TC look pretty good although ROTT had unique movement compared to other FPS especially when it comes to the physics so it'd be interesting to see if they can replicate that in Doom.

And hey, I like playing old games too and I don't care what anyone thinks about it!

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 14 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 14 2010, 11:01 PM, said:

Anyway it's a little ironic this game is brought up here because people here are complaining about the weapon limitation in Duke Nukem Forever and ROTT was one of the first if not THE first to have a limited arsenal. In it you could only carry your pistol (1 or 2 for akimbo action) your MP40 and one type of rocket launcher which had limited ammo.. only 4 or 5 shots. When you run over another type or even the same type of rocket launcher it gets replaced in your inventory. Much of the game is swapping between your bullet weapon and your rocket launching weapon. But you could only have one bullet weapon equipped for that button so you could either toggle between pistols and rocket launcher or MP40 and rocket launcher. So I find it interesting that people think that kind of mechanic is console'y because PC games had it long before Halo even had it.

ROTT had a better weapon limit system though, you get to carry four weapons (five counting the knife) instead of just two. Thats actually alot more realistic weapon system then what some of these modern shooters have.

BTW, if you want to really experience ROTT you should play the Extreme ROTT add-on, that has the best levels in the whole game.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 14 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

ROTT had a better weapon limit system though, you get to carry four weapons (five counting the knife) instead of just two. Thats actually alot more realistic weapon system then what some of these modern shooters have.

BTW, if you want to really experience ROTT you should play the Extreme ROTT add-on, that has the best levels in the whole game.

There was no knife in ROTT..... are you sure you weren't playing a different game? When I play ROTT it always started me off with a single pistol and shortly thereafter I find a second one either below the platorm I'm in or in a secret area close to the start. There where two bullet weapons but the toggle key only toggles between the last equipped bullet weapon and the rocket launcher you have equipped. So it's four weapons if you count the pistols twice if you have them both but three if you count that pistol (your sidearm) your MP40 and a rocket launcher. Still a massive restriction compared to the 6-7 weapons you could carry around in Doom and the number you carry in Duke.

Oh right... you do get a knife later on but it's not used as a weapon... it's only used against those nets that get thrown at you.

And yeah I did play extreme ROTT.... the level where you have to run over fences was interesting as well as the level where you pretty much play whack a mole with one of the bosses.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 14 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 14 2010, 11:44 PM, said:

Oh right... you do get a knife later on but it's not used as a weapon... it's only used against those nets that get thrown at you.

Correct, i'm a bit surprise the knife isn't actually a weapon you know.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options