• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise of the Triad

User is offline   Master O 

Here's a solid sourceport for Rise of the Triad:

https://github.com/LTCHIPS/rottexpr

Readme.md

rottexpr

Based off of the icculus Rise of the Triad source port (can be found here: https://icculus.org/rott/)

This source port of Rise of the Triad features the following:

Now runs off of SDL2!
Support for resolutions from 320x200 all the way to 3840x2160
Adaptive HUD positioning (no more status bar being off to the side)
HUD scaling (HUD scaling for bottomless HUD coming later)
Support for bordered and borderless windowed modes

New gameplay options:

Blitzguards being outfitted with any weapon from the missile/magic weapon arsenal! Yes, that means Blitzguards can use excalibats too!
You can now pick up ammo from dropped missile weapons!
A special respawning enemy game mode called ZomROTT, where you have to gib your enemies to keep them from coming back!
Toggleable Auto Aim
Auto Aim for Missile Weapons
...and more

And all of the improvements made in the icculus source port...

To run the game you'll need the following things:

SDL2.dll (https://www.libsdl.o...ownload-2.0.php)

SDL2_mixer.dll (https://www.libsdl.o...ects/SDL_mixer/)

And the files:

DEMO1_3.DMO
DEMO2_3.DMO
DEMO3_3.DMO
DEMO4_3.DMO
REMOTE1.RTS

And

DARKWAR.RTC
DARKWAR.RTL
DARKWAR.WAD

Or

HUNTBGIN.RTC
HUNTBGIN.RTL
HUNTBGIN.WAD

Place all those files in the same directory as rott.exe.

BUILDING:

To build the project, you'll need the SDL2.0 development libraries (https://www.libsdl.o...ownload-2.0.php) as well as the SDL_mixer developement libaries (https://www.libsdl.o...ects/SDL_mixer/, under Binary).

For linux users, just install the following two packages using apt-get

libsdl2-dev
libsdl2-mixer-dev

Before running make on the project, double check the first few lines of the Makefile and make sure you build the right version.

I used MinGW with gcc to build the project.
Custom resolutions

If your preferred screen resolution doesn't show up in the screen resolution menu, launch the game with argument "resolution x", and enter your screen resolution dimensions in the fields marked by *.
Issues with higher resolutions

rottexpr is capable of running at higher resolutions than the original release of RotT, however this comes with a few issues.

Being able to see through walls when up against them/shrooms stretched screen effect. For this issue, visit "ADJUST FOCAL WIDTH" under "VISUAL OPTIONS", and raise the value until the issue disappears.

The game refuses to run at anything higher than 4k. 4k resolution is currently the limit set in code.

Windows Binary:

https://github.com/L...leases/tag/v0.0

This post has been edited by Master O: 19 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just downloaded the Windows release and tried it out with the shareware version, somehow it does not work for me (Win8.1). rott.exe just does not launch, no error messages or anything.

UPD: Made it work by deleting the DOS config files.

UPD2: Runs just fine but I was unable to find the option to turn aspect ratio correction on. If it's not there the port ain't better than WinROTT to me, sorry (except I can probably complain about that in Issues via GitHub, maybe that'll work?).

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 20 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   0815Jack 

I tried the COMMERCIAL version and it worked directly....

but there seems to be issues with
- rendering the floor
- mouselook
- the exit sounds

User is offline   Master O 

View Post0815Jack, on 20 July 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

I tried the COMMERCIAL version and it worked directly....

but there seems to be issues with
- rendering the floor
- mouselook
- the exit sounds

If you have the GOG edition of ROTT, it tells you to use the Site License folder.

This post has been edited by Master O: 20 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostMaster O, on 20 July 2020 - 05:28 PM, said:

If you have the GOG edition of ROTT, it tells you to use the Site License folder.

I check my rott version with dosbox (rott.exe - ver) .... it's the commercial version :)

Rott94 now has Windows binnaries but it runs with no sounds for now and there's no option to change resolution. It also has the same floor rendering problems.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I really wonder how much longer a flawless ROTT port will take. I am currently playing Blake Stone through BStone and it's basically perfect, but that game if ofc much less complex.

For me, Wolf3D, Blake Stone and ROTT are forming the predecessor trilogy to the "Holy Trinity" Doom, Duke3D and Quake. They all deserve good ports (by now, actually only ROTT is missing).

View Postfilipetolhuizen, on 07 August 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

Rott94 now has Windows binnaries but it runs with no sounds for now and there's no option to change resolution. It also has the same floor rendering problems.

I quickly tried this out with the shareware version. It works and it's nice that the aspect ratio is correct in the menus and loading screens, but somehow not in the game itself.

View PostNightFright, on 07 August 2020 - 11:46 PM, said:

I really wonder how much longer a flawless ROTT port will take. I am currently playing Blake Stone through BStone and it's basically perfect, but that game if ofc much less complex. For me, Wolf3D, Blake Stone and ROTT are forming the predecessor trilogy to the "Holy Trinity" Doom, Duke3D and Quake. They all deserve good ports (by now, actually only ROTT is missing).

Maybe when ROTT support is better, it might be able to build a Corridor 7 and Operation Bodycount port/reverse engineering.

View PostMrFlibble, on 08 August 2020 - 06:03 AM, said:

I quickly tried this out with the shareware version. It works and it's nice that the aspect ratio is correct in the menus and loading screens, but somehow not in the game itself.

The port started focusing on mobile devices. I hope they add more options in the future.

I haven't watched the entire Realms Deep event, but weren't they supposed to showcase the new ROTT remaster or whatever? To be very honest, it was the number one thing I was waiting for at Realms Deep.

User is offline   deus-ex 

I don't think they were going to do a remaster but a windows source port. I'm also concerned that we didn't get any updates about it since the hilarious tiny appetizer from the 2020 realms deep show.

It's called Remastered on the 3DR page so I called it that too.

Ah, I didn't know they created a dedicated web page. So it's both, a new source port for Switch, XBOX, Playstation and PC, and a remaster. Probably with hi-res textures, hi-res SFX, perhaps streamed music (OGG/OPUS/MP3) instead of MIDI files?

In the video from the Realms Deep 2020 event, Fred says it is supposed to be released next year, which means 2021. He also said: "We show more of this later.", which sadly never happened.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 17 August 2021 - 08:46 AM

View Postdeus-ex, on 17 August 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

In the video from the Realms Deep 2020 event, Fred says it is supposed to be released next year, which means 2021.

Take any date they give with a grain of salt, just look at how many times Wrath has been delayed.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 17 August 2021 - 10:48 AM

View PostLazy Dog, on 17 August 2021 - 10:48 AM, said:

Take any date they give with a grain of salt, just look at how many times Wrath has been delayed.

Their schedules rather are taken with a sack of salt. Either way, the radio silence regarding the ROTT remaster makes me feel uneasy. They should have something to say/show after another year of development time. That is IF the development continued during this time.

• The Truth is in here

Wasn't there also supposed to be a Kingpin remaster? You don't hear absolutely ANYTHING about that, either.

Kingpin Reloaded has been delayed for a 2021 release, for the reasons explained here.

• The Truth is in here

Well, '21 is kinda now, and it's already mid August. That news is from last December, so it'd be nice to know if there has been any progress in the meantime. It's already kinda obvious that a summer release won't happen.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 August 2021 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

I would not be surprised if it got delayed till next year.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostLazy Dog, on 18 December 2021 - 02:34 PM, said:

I really, really want to like that game. The problem I have with it is that for whatever reason when I'm like 5-10 mins in I get nauseous. Like dangerously close to vomit. I don't know if it is something with the FOV or how the ceiling is so close to the floor or whatever, I just can't play this game because I get physically sick. Heck, my Steam playtime timer shows I have only being able to play 64 fucking minutes.

Yeah it's that bad.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

How close the ceiling is to the floor? Are you talking about the original ROTT? For me I can't play old-school shooters as they are because of the low FOV (ports solve this issue), but with modern shooters I mostly feel that the level of detail on everything is so crazy that it becomes hard to focus on what I'm meant to be looking at, the high contrast seems to strain my eyes (which causes headaches), and finally all the explosions, including the muzzle flash, feel too intense somehow. Like the contrast between the scene being overall dark and then suddenly there's a huge bump in brightness. All of these factors combined make me nauseous. I first noticed this while playing Quake 4 when it first came out. Made me give up on modern action games pretty much. To be honest I feel the same even with some modern movies and TV shows. I miss that washed out look from the earlier days. I don't wanna have to squint at the screen.

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 31 December 2021 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I'm sure jkas789 meant the 2013 version of the game. It actually have lot of "busy/crazy shit" going on the screen that may cause people feel not good(its some post-effects won't help that problem too, made the matter worse...)

I didn't feel sicked when I still playing the game(still, did felt a little motion sickness if I play it "too fast")...but stopped to play the game anymore after cannot stand some of its gameplay/level designs. :(

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostPlayer Lin, on 01 January 2022 - 04:09 AM, said:

I'm sure jkas789 meant the 2013 version of the game.

It was just that one comment about the ceiling/floor relation that made me think he was talking about the original game. I don't remember ROTT 2013 feeling particularly claustrophobic.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostThrice Cursed, on 01 January 2022 - 04:45 AM, said:

It was just that one comment about the ceiling/floor relation that made me think he was talking about the original game. I don't remember ROTT 2013 feeling particularly claustrophobic.

I guess there were some places on some early levels like that but I never played the game again so I can't sure. :unsure:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThrice Cursed, on 01 January 2022 - 04:45 AM, said:

When you go from the exterior stuff to some of the interior rooms they seem to be fairly cramped. I can see it, while moving really fast, how that would feel kinda not good.

But I can't stand the game in general honestly. The only good thing is the soundtrack. The rest of the game amplifies the shortcomings of the original game. The predominately hit scanner enemies that seem to just peck away at you really makes the combat feel like garbage, and again, the remake just makes that way worse.

• The Truth is in here

I also had high expectations for ROTT 2013, but I was utterly disappointed. Controls felt weird, game physics were off, just like movement in general, the platforming was f'ing awful and that checkpoint system just buried the entire thing. Oh yeah, and it was bugged like hell and that last patch with working quicksaves never came.

Until the present day I have no idea how I managed to play this till the end, but I know I immediately uninstalled it afterwards and would never ever touch it again. The only thing worse than this was that AvP2 addon which I played less than five minutes. Got surrounded by aliens right away while armed with just a pistol, instant kill. Zero chances. Ragequit, uninstall, that's it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 February 2022 - 02:39 PM

Rise of the Triad is getting a Ludicrous Edition. Courtesy of Night Dive Studios. Coming for Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Steam and GOG.

Check out the trailer below.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Super happy to see the various music options (SC-55, OPL3, and Hulshult's 2013 OST from what I can see).

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 September 2022 - 03:42 PM, said:

OPL3
But is this OPL rendition going to be of the original 1.2 FM synth patches or the later 1.3 FM synth patches? 🤔

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options