Duke4.net Forums: [CONFIRMED] - Rumor(?): Borderlands Studio Reviving Duke Nukem Forever - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[CONFIRMED] - Rumor(?): Borderlands Studio Reviving Duke Nukem Forever

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 4 2010, 10:45 AM, said:

In order to maximize sales, you have to support the 360 controller and the consoles. George made a great post on Shacknews about the decision. If you are limited to x number of buttons, you have to cut stuff that would have been kept back in 1996.
I love the idea of being able to hold as many weapons as I please but the dynamics of the controller limit that and that is a design decision based on the potential of sales to the console generation. You can't blame them for that.

Until you play the game, you can't really complain too much. The fact that the pipe bomb and trip mines are set up as quick keys is nice. It insures playability throughout (pipe bombs used for breaking walls). The trip mines have historically been used in MP as traps so making them a quick key actually enhances that.

Doom 3 let you hold more than 2 weapons, Half-Life 2 let you hold more than 2 weapons and so have many other console FPS games. Personally I feel Duke is a PC game first and foremost and if that's the reasoning behind only be able to hold 2 weapons it's bs. Why should PC players be penalized?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

You'd have to read George's post on Shacknews. I read it quoted somewhere on this board but I can't remember where.

I still stand by my point that you can't complain/judge until you have played the game yourself.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 4 2010, 01:10 PM, said:

You'd have to read George's post on Shacknews. I read it quoted somewhere on this board but I can't remember where.

I still stand by my point that you can't complain/judge until you have played the game yourself.

Well if you can only hold 2 guns multiplayer it'll suck and I hope someone mods the game right away. I just hope to God this doesn't turn out like Prey.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 4 2010, 06:45 PM, said:

In order to maximize sales, you have to support the 360 controller and the consoles. George made a great post on Shacknews about the decision. If you are limited to x number of buttons, you have to cut stuff that would have been kept back in 1996.

Resistance had loads of guns at the same time. I don't get it with mapping it on consoles. Even on PC most people use mouse wheel than mapped buttons. I say that is bullshit that consoles are the source of this.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 4 2010, 10:10 AM, said:

We know what we like. I have never enjoyed a weapon limit, unless it is in a realistic military shooter. Something like the RB6 series where you're playing a soldier with a fairly realistic kit loadout. With Duke, it doesnt fit the character.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 4 2010, 01:22 PM, said:

We know what we like. I have never enjoyed a weapon limit, unless it is in a realistic military shooter. Something like the RB6 series where you're playing a soldier with a fairly realistic kit loadout. With Duke, it doesnt fit the character.

Duke can carry 50 guns if he wanted to.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Posthornoxe, on Sep 4 2010, 09:36 AM, said:

Blame 2 weapons on console tards, not gearbox :D

Consoles do not suck, obviously your just some stupid PC fanboy.

And as we all know all fanboys suck.

Did Modern Warfare 2 have a level editor on the PC? I heard it was just a console port. I hope DNF isn't like that and still has a console menu and it's easy to make maps for it, which it should be if it's using the UT3 engine.

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 4 2010, 01:43 PM, said:

And as we all know all fanboys suck.

Well FPS games have always been better on a PC. On a PC FPS you can make your own maps, make your own mod and have as many user created levels as you want without worrying about how much space on the hard drive the manufacturer decides. Also instead of scrolling through each weapon, if your allowed to use more than two weapons, you can setup a specific key for each weapon. Also the accuracy on the mouse is better than that of a controller and you can adjust the sensitivity to anything you want, rather than being limited to a set sensitivity between 1 and 12. I don't think consoles suck, but I do think FPS games suck on consoles. Consoles are great for 3rd person shooters, rpgs, platformers, side scrollers, puzzle games, but the PC is much better for FPS and RTS games.

User is offline   hornoxe 

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 4 2010, 07:43 PM, said:

obviously, and obviously the smiley wasn't meant to emphasize that it was just a light hearted joke.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View Postblackharted, on Sep 4 2010, 04:40 AM, said:

Why? carrying two guns worked in Goldeneye perfectly and seem just fine in the May 2009 trailer.

BTW STOP complaining about consoles versions, there great

...I think you confused holding 2 weapons with Dual wielding...

View PostThePinkus, on Sep 4 2010, 11:28 AM, said:

...I think you confused holding 2 weapons with Dual wielding...

I was, but not now and I still don't care.

BTW thanks ReaperMan for your comment in post 547

This post has been edited by blackharted: 04 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   Tedades 

View PostDerickVonD, on Sep 4 2010, 07:43 PM, said:

Did Modern Warfare 2 have a level editor on the PC? I heard it was just a console port. I hope DNF isn't like that and still has a console menu and it's easy to make maps for it, which it should be if it's using the UT3 engine.

It doesn't use the UT3 engine, but I still think the level editor would be nice.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

If you go back and watch the Jace Hall footage, it used a weapon wheel.

So at some point between Jace Hall and when they got layed off, they changed it to a 2 weapon system.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm iffy about the 2 weapon system. In games like Borderlands, it's not really a bother, but c'mon, this is Duke fucking Nukem. In the very least you should be able to hold all the weapons in your inventory. Regardless, I'll probably have it for PC and I'm sure somebody will work up a patch to fix that bullshit.

View PostDerickVonD, on Sep 4 2010, 01:57 PM, said:

Well FPS games have always been better on a PC. On a PC FPS you can make your own maps, make your own mod and have as many user created levels as you want without worrying about how much space on the hard drive the manufacturer decides. Also instead of scrolling through each weapon, if your allowed to use more than two weapons, you can setup a specific key for each weapon. Also the accuracy on the mouse is better than that of a controller and you can adjust the sensitivity to anything you want, rather than being limited to a set sensitivity between 1 and 12. I don't think consoles suck, but I do think FPS games suck on consoles. Consoles are great for 3rd person shooters, rpgs, platformers, side scrollers, puzzle games, but the PC is much better for FPS and RTS games.

Yes i know that, but to say consoles suck and pc's rule and give no reason for it is just arrogant. Also

there are some FPS's that do work really well on consoles (such as halo) so it really depends on the type of FPS that is on the console. Besides just because a FPS is on a console or a side scroller is on a PC; it doesn't make the game any less or more fun.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Argh... There are a few people in this thread that I would really enjoy disemboweling with a wooden cooking spoon...

Correction, there are people all over the place that I'd like to do that to, ever since the DNF hype train started back up due to PAX.

All the whining, bitching, complaining, temper tantrums, blatant selfish demands, and outright stupefyingly uninformed, uneducated, ignorant posts really grinds on a person's nerves after a while.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 04 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I mentioned this in the other thread, but after a day of cooling off and thinking about it I'm not going to be bothered by the 2-weapon system too much. I'm just happy to finally be able to play DNF at last.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

What possible reason could they have for only allowing two weapons? It couldn't be realism, because there's nothing about Duke Nukem's character and universe that screams "realistic" in any shape or form whatsoever. Are they trying to pull a Dark Knight and bring his story more down-to-earth?

This game has been in development for way too many years and has received way too much hype for the developers to turn this into a mere Modern Warfare clone.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 04 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

• I have the power!

Wasn't DUke3D just another Doom clone?

• Judge Mental

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Sep 4 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

What possible reason could they have for only allowing two weapons? It couldn't be realism, because there's nothing about Duke Nukem's character and universe that screams "realistic" in any shape or form whatsoever. Are they trying to pull a Dark Knight and bring his story more down-to-earth?

This game has been in development for way too many years and has received way too much hype for the developers to turn this into a mere Modern Warfare clone.

Yes, because playing your own video game while being blown by twins is really down to Earth. It happens to me all the time.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 5 2010, 01:27 AM, said:

Wasn't DUke3D just another Doom clone?

Wasn't every FPS back then a Doom clone?

• The Sarien Encounter

Heh. I'd argue that Duke3D was the first game to break out of the "Doom-clone" labeling. It was the game that defeated Doom after all.

User is offline   Green 

Post media here :D

• I have the power!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 5 2010, 01:44 AM, said:

Heh. I'd argue that Duke3D was the first game to break out of the "Doom-clone" labeling. It was the game that defeated Doom after all.

It was, but in the mind of most people buying it the first time back then it was just another Doom clone. The game was more than it seemed so I challenge that DNF is more than some people think it is (namely a console POS geared towards MW playing snots).

• Judge Mental

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 5 2010, 06:55 AM, said:

It was, but in the mind of most people buying it the first time back then it was just another Doom clone. The game was more than it seemed so I challenge that DNF is more than some people think it is (namely a console POS geared towards MW playing snots).

See, even in my complaining about the weapons limitation wouldnt go that far. I KNOW DNF will be something special. Its Duke Mother F***ing Nukem! :D

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

I go away for a week and this is what I come back for..... holy freaky deaky shit!
Im literally hanging out for the new trailer.

User is offline   Green 

Just noticed when looking at the controller layout.
Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh good! That's the original Duke Nukem font. I was afraid they abandoned it.

User is offline   Kathy 

I hope so. Because that new one is awful.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options