Duke4.net Forums: How many of you have given up hope? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many of you have given up hope?  "I know I have"

User is offline   The Duke 

respect the shine :wacko:

I am an old school Gamer. I have been playing games like Duke Nukem, Marathon, Wolfenstein, and many more.

My take on DNF? It will come out. I have faith it will.

Rumor is is that Gearbox has taken it to finish it which I reply: "Great." Some of the top developers from the DNF team were hired at Gearbox so if I were a betting man then they would probably put them in charge of it. That's my guess if the rumors are true.

Now, DNF coming out is no longer an objective, but a right. Not for the sake of us, but for the sake of the developers. For the sake of Duke himself.

Those can give up hope if they want, but I will always wait for this game. The only question I have is, when the game comes out can we say "I told you so" to the ones that gave up hope?

View PostJamesCassidy, on Aug 15 2010, 05:36 PM, said:

I am an old school Gamer. I have been playing games like Duke Nukem, Marathon, Wolfenstein, and many more.

Rumor is is that Gearbox has taken it to finish it which I reply: "Great." Some of the top developers from the DNF team were hired at Gearbox so if I were a betting man then they would probably put them in charge of it. That's my guess if the rumors are true.

Now, DNF coming out is no longer an objective, but a right. Not for the sake of us, but for the sake of the developers. For the sake of Duke himself.

Those can give up hope if they want, but I will always wait for this game. The only question I have is, when the game comes out can we say "I told you so" to the ones that gave up hope?

I suppose so....

User is offline   Martin 

Gah, so much silly bickering on these forums..

I haven't given up hope. Mainly because there have, and continue to be signs that DNF is under way, and furthermore, is nearing completion. Everyone knows the Gearbox Software thing now, and yeah, they took on a bunch of the 3DR castaways. We have leaked gameplay videos, etc etc. Don't get me wrong, the development hell of DNF has been been one of those very hilarious 'comedy of errors', and the game itself is way overdue. They switched engines a bunch of times, meaning having to do lots of already finished work all over again. I've kept track of any and every DNF nugget of info over the years, and this is the impression that I get, personally..

.. Duke Nukem 3D was such a massive hit and has gone down in gaming history as one of a very select number of titles that are generally seen as 'absolute classics'. Because of this, Broussard feels that DNF must break all the same boundaries again. Every time he sees another game that does something cool that isn't in DNF, he tries to get that feature into his game. Obviously, games are coming out all the time, so GB is constantly comparing his product with that of others. Thus development of the game stagnates badly. As programmers will know, often when you insert a new feature into a program, it will cause problems elsewhere in the code. So they probably have wasted a lot of time also in just constantly having to fix things that were working and now aren't. They have probably put themselves in an ongoing battle over the last 13 years to make sure that DNF is graphically up-to-date. 13 years is a long time in computers. PCs experience a totally new generation of GPUs and such every couple of years. So this will have been a major challenge in developing DNF.

It is now so far past the point of ridiculousness that Take-Two just want the product they paid for a long time ago. The 'When it's done' mantra is so old now, nobody thinks it's funny or clever. Take-Two started legal proceedings, and they settled in July of this year. Does everyone actually think that the settlement agreement would have included anything along the lines of "Broussard and co may continue to not ever finish DNF"? No. As we know, after the settlement Miller and Broussard dropped some pretty big hints, and the Gearbox Software rumour thing, which many of the old 3DR staff now work at. If it's not a coincidence, the rumour is true. At the time of the 2008 teaser, I think they were clearly entering the early parts of the publicity stage of the game's development. If the rumour is true, well, that's how Prey was finally finished.

As for how well the game will be received, I predict mixed reviews. Tastes have changed a whole lot since '96. A wise-cracking, roid-raging, womanising hero who was ripped straight from 80s and 90s action films might not be what people want, now. Back in '96, it was totally of it's time. You got the film references because you'd seen the films. If they continued this theme in DNF, a lot of the audience may simply just not 'get' the humour. Looking at the recently leaked gameplay video, it seems that they have incorporated some very Half-Life 2-esque features. Physics puzzles, driving sections. Done well, this will help the game. Simple run 'n gun shooters don't really cut it any more. People want a storyline, some real variation in the gameplay, etc. If DNF can deliver on all of this, keep the same Duke humour, but mix it up with some references to more modern culture, and do all of the above with the polish that is expected of a game that has been in the making this long (let's not forget that the online component needs to be very special in order to drag people away from COD) - I hope it will do well.

My gut feeling is that no matter how good it is, it won't seem good enough. Or it will feel very short. Or something. Something about it will be at odds with the 13 year (and counting) development cycle. The press will penalise it for any fault that would appear 'minor' for another game. They've been working on it so long that everyone will expect it to be perfect. Of course it won't be. On a personal level, I really don't care how well critics receive it, as long as it lives up to Duke3D in my own estimation, I will buy it.

One last thing; Another major reason why I'm confident about DNF being released is that another of my favourite series' has also stagnated, and that's Shenmue (or specifically, Shenmue III). Long story short, very ground-breaking Dreamcast title that had one sequel, and then disappeared. Yu Suzuki (it's creator) has continued to insist that the series "will be finished through games", but beyond that we have had nothing. Nothing. No screens, no leaked videos. Nothing. There have been the odd very speculative rumours, but literally nothing else to go on. Shenmue fans will jump on any Dreamcast-related news as "OMG Shenmue III". The latest one is that Some DC games are coming to XBLA/PSN. Everyone in the Shenmue fanbase started fapping themselves silly saying "They will release Shenmue I and II, and this will fund Shenmue III!". Lulz.

Compared to Shenmue, DNF has enjoyed constant limelight, constant coverage, much more substantial rumours, which have gone on to be proven true via the leaks over the last year or so. Even the developers have basically said in plain English they are working on it, and it will be finished. SEGA have said repeatedly over the last few years that Shenmue III is not in development, nor are there any plans for it. In spite of this, the Shenmue fanbase remains largely hopeful that Shenmue will be completed one day. As one of those people, I can't really denounce DNF. It is a real project, the existence of which can be proven, and all signs are that they are starting to wrap it up, ready for you to buy it.

So the next time you feel down about DNF, just look at all the fools in denial on Shenmue fansites. SEGA didn't even renew the Shenmue.com lease, and some kid bought it. Yet they all still think Shenmue III is coming.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostJamesCassidy, on Aug 16 2010, 03:36 AM, said:

Do you believe in Santa as well?

View PostNancsi, on Aug 18 2010, 04:13 AM, said:

Do you believe in Santa as well?

LOL! :wacko:

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

YOU'RE THE INSULT MASTER!

Seriously though, it's coming out, anyone in denial at this point is retarded. I just had to tell everyone "LOL I TOLD U SO" about the Gearbox rumor I've been telling them for months now.

View PostDescent, on Aug 18 2010, 02:34 PM, said:

YOU'RE THE INSULT MASTER!

Seriously though, it's coming out, anyone in denial at this point is retarded. I just had to tell everyone "LOL I TOLD U SO" about the Gearbox rumor I've been telling them for months now.

It's not really denial - its 13 years of frustration manifesting itself into directed rage against the thought the game might come out. We have become so accustomed to the waiting, bitching about waiting, failed rumors, etc... that if we lose the ability to complain about the game still in development, what do we do? Duh we would play the living sh!t out of the game burning several mice/wasd keys/etc...... but this whole persona we built up will be gone. Then what?
All of us here really do want the game released, but then what do we get to bitch about next?

User is offline   GrandPAIN 

Umm, the next one? :wacko:
Seriously I don't mind wasting another 13+ years waiting, I'm still young... ( /cg_sarkasm 1)
I always bet on Duke

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postcanada4duke, on Aug 18 2010, 03:18 PM, said:

It's not really denial - its 13 years of frustration manifesting itself into directed rage against the thought the game might come out. We have become so accustomed to the waiting, bitching about waiting, failed rumors, etc... that if we lose the ability to complain about the game still in development, what do we do? Duh we would play the living sh!t out of the game burning several mice/wasd keys/etc...... but this whole persona we built up will be gone. Then what?
All of us here really do want the game released, but then what do we get to bitch about next?

Any Valve product would do. HL2:Ep3 still isn't out yet.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

At this point, I'm pretty sure they are just going to release HL3. EP3 has been in the oven for too long, and besides, EP2 left off right before a major turning point in the war.

User is offline   Shawneth 

I thought episode 3 wasn't even coming out; I guess Valve is too busy with L4D and other games.

I will be amazed if Duke Nukem Forever will come out before The Blood source code, if it does, Kill me first.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 20 2010, 04:19 AM, said:

Any Valve product would do. HL2:Ep3 still isn't out yet.

hey sorry if i am mistaking but i thought it was HL2 EP3. i havent beeen following up since the first half life?

I'd started to give up hope until the court case ended. They settled out of court, and agreed to never go to court over DNF again. Think about it; T2 was seeking over $20 million dollars by dropping the case. Why would they not follow trough and try to get some of that capital back? The answer; they've found a solution to finish DNF. Whether or not that's Gearbox Software remains to be seen. But make no mistake...The king will be back.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Valve/A guy at Valve said that the HL2 episodes should have been called HL3 episodes.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostBloodwolf806, on Aug 27 2010, 02:51 AM, said:

I'd started to give up hope until the court case ended. They settled out of court, and agreed to never go to court over DNF again. Think about it; T2 was seeking over $20 million dollars by dropping the case. Why would they not follow trough and try to get some of that capital back? The answer; they've found a solution to finish DNF. Whether or not that's Gearbox Software remains to be seen. But make no mistake...The king will be back.

ok. thats kinda lame o.o

View PostJhect, on Aug 27 2010, 04:44 AM, said:

ok. thats kinda lame o.o

How so?

User is offline   3dwizard 

This topic needs to get locked...

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 2 2010, 01:58 AM, said:

This topic needs to get locked...

No way its a great topic :wacko:

User is offline   Honza 

View Postblackharted, on Sep 2 2010, 12:42 PM, said:

No way its a great topic :)

then it should be at least renamed :wacko:

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

The topic just shows blackharted's trolling and lack of commitment to an idea.

today i actually dreamed that i was playing a duke nukem forever demo. i guess i havent given up hope :wacko:
but god dammit. if that is what the game will be like then omfg xD full of cool scripted events

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 2 2010, 06:49 AM, said:

The topic just shows blackharted's trolling and lack of commitment to an idea.

No no no I made this thread BEFORE the whole PAX rumor thing so nobody had any hope than including me. Everyone seems to like this topic and I can commit to any idea I feel like.

User is offline   3dwizard 

I gave up hope. It's definitely not coming now...

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options