Duke4.net Forums: Exploring Duke Nukem 3D XBLA - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exploring Duke Nukem 3D XBLA

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've been able to poke around inside the files of the Duke 3D XBLA port. I don't have time to post a full write-up now, but I can say that I can extract the logo videos, the DNF screenshots, as well as all the icons and misc things.

The main thing of note is that it contains a 1:1 identical copy of the Atomic GRP, and I can't find the modified map from episode 4. Perhaps it is patched on the fly in the executable.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

ohh, Great!

Are you sure the CON files and Critical Mass are the same? Well, I suppose that they could just have the CON and maps separated out of the GRP...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Anything interesting?

• Weaponized Autism

There is a game.con file laying loose.

It differs... by one byte.

Atomic:

action TOILETWATERFRAMES 0 4 1 1 1
actor TOILETWATER 0 TOILETWATERFRAMES
  ifpdistl 8192
  {
    soundonce WATER_GURGLE
    ifspawnedby TOILET
      sizeto 34 34
    else
    {
      ifspawnedby WATERFOUNTAINBROKE
        sizeto 6 15
      else
        ifspawnedby TOILETWATER
          nullop
      else
        sizeto 24 32
    }

ifp palive
      ifpdistl RETRIEVEDISTANCE
        ifp pfacing
          ifactioncount 32
            ifphealthl MAXPLAYERHEALTH
              ifhitspace
                ifcansee
    {
      addphealth 1
      globalsound DUKE_DRINKING
      resetactioncount
    }
  }
enda

XBLA:

action TOILETWATERFRAMES 0 4 1 1 1
actor TOILETWATER 0 TOILETWATERFRAMES
  ifpdistl 8192
  {
    soundonce WATER_GURGLE
    ifspawnedby TOILET
      sizeto 34 34
    else
    {
      ifspawnedby WATERFOUNTAINBROKE
        sizeto 6 15
      else
        ifspawnedby TOILETWATER
          nullop
      else
        sizeto 24 32
    }

ifp palive
      ifpdistl RETRIEVEDISTANCE
        ifp pfacing
          ifactioncount 32
            ifphealthl MAXPLAYERHEALTH
              ifhitspace
                ifcansee
    {
      addphealth 5
      globalsound DUKE_DRINKING
      resetactioncount
    }
  }
enda

See if you can spot the difference. I've read about its effect before.

Still no results on finding the modified Critical Mass.

There are 10 .dmo files, a "gm.dls" file containing MIDI programming, and an autoexec.cfg file containing:

DebugFileAccess 0
DebugSound 0
EnableCubic 1
TransConsole 1
NumConsoleLines 0
SetConsoleColor 0
MouseYScale 1
DebugFileAccess 0

The executable is 27 MB. Notable strings include:

Duke Nukem 3D v1.999

So much for v1.7.

FATAL ERROR: Compiled size of CON code exceeds maximum size!
Please notify JonoF so the maximum may be increased in a future release.

Looks like they used JFDuke3D (or JFBuild, or something) as a base.

The new 3D Realms logo and Nuke logo movies are 1280x720 (720p), in WMV format, as one would expect.

There's some nice content in the UI (User Interface) stuff, including a 1280x720 (720p) highres, high quality, layered (!) version of the title screen, which is better than the touched-up mousepad scan that's in the HRP. In addition to the new Nuke logo, a 720p frame of it is also included as the loading screen.

Everything from the menus is in here. The menu font is in a format only usable on the XBOX, but Joe Siegler discovered that it is called Daidoh Remix. It would still be nice to extract the Duke-styled letter tiles.

I'm going to make a section for my website with research into it. For now, I'll just post stuff here.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 08 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

So of all the bugs they could have easily fixed (e.g. some monsters not resuming normal behavior after being shrunk), the only thing they changed was giving the player 5 health for a drink of water instead of 1. If they were going to do that, they should also have limited it to MAXWATERFOUNTAINHEALTH instead of MAXPLAYERHEALTH (as in DP), because it's lame to be able to restore full health from drinking toilet water.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostHendricks266, on Jun 8 2010, 12:18 PM, said:

There is a game.con file laying loose.

It differs... by one byte.

See if you can spot the difference.

Drinking toilet water adds 5 health in XBLA instead of 1.

EDIT: Fuck. Beaten.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 08 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Aha, +5 health - wasn't that mentioned in the misc knowlege thread? I wonder if you can edit the Autoexec.cfg

DeeperThought said:

because it's lame to be able to restore full health from drinking toilet water.

How do you know this? If I learned anything fro Duke Nukem it's that it doesn't matter how severe an injury is, as long as you drink toilet water you will recover very quickly.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 08 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHigh Treason, on Jun 8 2010, 01:33 PM, said:

Aha, +5 health - wasn't that mentioned in the misc knowlege thread? I wonder if you can edit the Autoexec.cfg

How do you know this? If I learned anything fro Duke Nukem it's that it doesn't matter how severe an injury is, as long as you drink toilet water you will recover very quickly.

I know you're joking, but I do think from a gameplay standpoint that it's better if you can't recover more then 50 health that way. If a map has even one toilet in an area the player can return to, then he has an infinite store of full health, as long as he is willing to go back to it. For me, it cheapens the experience. In fact I think even 50 is pushing it, but I would allow that much as a concession to the original game.

• Weaponized Autism

Here's some of the images and text, and videos.

http://hendricks266.duke4.net/d3dxbla/

Hmm, this is interesting, those demos aren't compatible with the DOS Atomic Edition (in case anyone wondered) - maybe I'll play with the gm.dls tomorrow, but it's likely the same as the one from windows.

Now all we need to do is annoy the EDuke team enough to implement .wmv support and put the nuke logo in the HRP! (Don't annoy them for real, I seem to remember TX/Plagman had plans for something already).

This post has been edited by High Treason: 08 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

They did a splendid job updating the menu's for XBLA. That nuke logo is just plain sexy.

User is offline   Fox 

There are also quote differences. Can you upload all CONs?

Edit: loved this pic:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

User is offline   Night Wolf 

Awesome... alot of this stuff is totally salvageable ... those spinning nuke symbols are awesome can we use them instead of the currents ones we have in the HRP? ...They have more frames however

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View Postozz, on Jun 9 2010, 03:32 AM, said:

... those spinning nuke symbols are awesome can we use them instead of the currents ones we have in the HRP?

I tried that. It looks pretty nice. :(

Also:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uJZo6RnQNNM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=77AA1PY8nII

:(

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jun 9 2010, 05:38 PM, said:

Did you cut down the frames of the spinning nuke symbol , or did you figure out a way to get all frames to work?
also those video's are BADASS

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Since it's clear that the XBLA version of Duke is based on GPL'd code from sources outside of 3DR I've sent George Broussard an e-mail asking for my copy of the source code as per the terms of the GPL. It looks like the vast majority of the JFDuke3D code is present in the XBLA port including some I'd written and contributed to JonoF, so I hope he doesn't try to weasel out of his legal requirement to release it.

View Postozz, on Jun 9 2010, 03:58 AM, said:

Did you cut down the frames of the spinning nuke symbol , or did you figure out a way to get all frames to work?
also those video's are BADASS

I picked them out. I don't remember which ones. All you have to do is look at the HRP ones and pick out the XBLA ones that matches and replace. :(

I've rendered the Nuke logo out into .png files (one for each frame) - problem is it's over 100mb like that. If anyone wants it for anything though, just ask and I'll upload it when I get home, I can do the 3D Realms logo as well.

• Weaponized Autism

The Nuke icons and font should not be used for the HRP. Again, the HRP's intent is not to look cool for cool's sake. It's to provide modern remakes of the art, faithful to the originals. However, the logos and background from the UI are certainly usable.

That being said, I will create a mod which makes brings the XBLA menu changes (nuke icon, font, logos, background, movies if possible) to EDuke32.

View PostFox, on Jun 8 2010, 11:08 PM, said:

There are also quote differences. Can you upload all CONs?

Edit: loved this pic:

Posted Image

The only modified CON is game.con. There are no CON files anywhere else but the GRP, and the GRP is identical to the Atomic one. The location of the modified quotes and Critical Mass are still unknown.

And yep, that's the beta Overlord.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 13 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

An interesting find. Could you possibly share the GM.DLS file, or give instructions how to extract this stuff from my own XBLA copy.

• Weaponized Autism

Already there. http://hendricks266....la/media/gm.dls

As for instructions, see if this works.

Copy the data off your USB flash drive or XBOX 360 hard drive via SATA.

Use wxPirs to extract the main file.

Extract the default.xex and DukeUI.xzp files with XeXtractor. You must rename DukeUI.xzp to DukeUI.xuiz first.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Very cool!!!

Loving all the pre-production artwork. That will come in very handy for the P-HRP.

User is offline   Green 

The HRP should make the Duke Nukem 3D menu look more like the XBLA menu...
Although this looks nothing like the XBLA menu it is using resources ripped from the XBLA version of Duke. I know, it looks like ass but at this point in time I have nothing better to do.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: menu.png

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 11 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

View PostMr. Green, on Jun 11 2010, 11:50 PM, said:

The HRP should make the Duke Nukem 3D menu look more like the XBLA menu...
Although this looks nothing like the XBLA menu it is using resources ripped from the XBLA version of Duke. I know, it looks like ass but at this point in time I have nothing better to do.

I actually agree , but yet im sure some people would be against it due to it being different from the originals.
Im all for keeping that classic duke feel, with textures and models , but when it comes to things like game effects (like blood effects etc.)... well IMO they should look better and more realistic.

I would actually rather the XBLA menu and even changing the current blue and red fonts to the yellow fonts used in XBLA ... although the red font is used in some levels so that might cause problems

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I know it's not really 'like the original' but replacing the menu font and nuke graphics is VERY tempting.

You know, you COULD argue that the XBL is the latest 'OFFICIAL' release of Duke, thus you are staying true to the 'original' game :(

Interesting to see what feedback TX gets when he hits GB for the source. That would mean working demos and wma cut scenes.

LET THE FLOOD GATES OPEN!!!!! :(

User is offline   MadClown 

Very cool find! I wish we had access to the netcode used from the XBLA version. :(

User is offline   Fox 

There are plenty of tiles that SHOULD be used in HRP, because they are official high resolution version of the original tiles.

Title

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Title screen

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 3DRealms logo appear in several textures.

Posted Image

This may not be an identical representation of the classic game, but the HRP versions also aren't.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 11 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   SwissCm 

The current big red font is fucking awful. I tried remaking it into something more pleasant but it's rather difficult considering the original font looked crap too.

It may require a bit of work but using the XBLA port's font as a replacement would be a fine idea.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSwissCm, on Jun 12 2010, 10:20 PM, said:

but it's rather difficult considering the original font looked crap too.

Haha, that's a good point!

View PostTea Monster, on Jun 11 2010, 12:08 PM, said:

I know it's not really 'like the original' but replacing the menu font and nuke graphics is VERY tempting.

You know, you COULD argue that the XBL is the latest 'OFFICIAL' release of Duke, thus you are staying true to the 'original' game :(

Seconded! http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/cool.gif

By the way, is there any code in there that goes to the multiplayer portion of Duke3D XBLA? It would be cool if the EDuke team could get their hands on it as long as it would be legal to meddle with. Then we would be closer to having in-game multiplayer. :(

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options