Duke4.net Forums: THE EDUKE32 VERSION THAT WORKS IN MP! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THE EDUKE32 VERSION THAT WORKS IN MP!  "Tested with Yang for error free online gameplay!"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Use 20091203 if you really want to use the old netcode:

http://dukeworld.duk.../20091203-1551/

User is offline   eiki 

I tried that version (20091203-1551), but I can not connect more than two players.
It always generate the same 0x6D94 as client ID every time and on every computer.

If I use eduke /net /n0:2 on host
and /net /n0 192.168.1.122 on one other, the game launch fine with two players,

but this will not work:
/net /n0:3 on host
and on the two other connecting: /net /n0 192.168.1.122

and also this will not work:
/net /n1 192.168.1.123 192.168.124
/net /n1 192.168.1.122 192.168.124
/net /n1 192.168.1.122 192.168.123

We will only be playing LAN so:
How unstable is actually the multiplayer in the latest version? (current_20100704 or ex 20110127-1783)
What differ 2.0.0devel from 1.5.0devel? Is there a changelog somewhere?
Why should we use 20091203-1551 instead of 1.5.0devel 20081230?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If using LAN, I found the latest revisions to be quite stable. Mainly tested COOP and a little DM.
But it sometimes randomly crashes when changing levels, I think you can live with this?

I could not find any serious issues at this time.

User is offline   eiki 

I tried the current version (July 2010) and one of the newest revisions (20110127 i think). They both crash on multiplayer server/client mode during initiating of a new game. The Server will crash and the clients will freeze up. I have not tried in p2p mode, and I have not given to much much effort into finding out what is causing the crash since both xduke and the older revisions of eduke32 are very stable in p2p mode.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Posteiki, on Jan 31 2011, 01:06 AM, said:

I tried the current version (July 2010) and one of the newest revisions (20110127 i think). They both crash on multiplayer server/client mode during initiating of a new game. The Server will crash and the clients will freeze up. I have not tried in p2p mode, and I have not given to much much effort into finding out what is causing the crash since both xduke and the older revisions of eduke32 are very stable in p2p mode.

In our case, it was just 2 players and switching modes usually solved the crash or error on launch. Since Yangs last update, now that's become a problem. Though most here don't like to talk or support Meltdown, Commando Nukem and I use it with our old eduke version of choice and we play for hours on end with no errors whatsoever. Note: we didn't try it with 3 players, nor a local lan, but gameplay is usually smooth as he's on the west coast an I'm on the east.

User is offline   LoWang 

Any news about this situation?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not really.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Sorry for being such a failure as far as the networking code is concerned. :D

I would like to thank the folks who has discovered the stable version for multiplaying. My brother, his daughter, and I would play for hours without any real issue. We don't use Yang or Meltdown to connect anymore. We would use the standard "Eduke32.exe" to connect. To simplify, I would add " /net /n0:3" after the EDuke32.exe (create a shortcut). My brother and his daughter would add " /net /n0 192.168.2.1" after the EDuke32.exe. To make it clear, read this example:

Server ends with this command: /net /n0:3 (where 3 is the number of players)
Client ends with this command: /net /n0 192.168.2.1 (where 192.168.2.1 is the IP Address)

The original netcode seems to work extremely well. I have found the recent EDuke32 netcode seems to be very unstable which I believe is still being work on (hopefully). My brother and I had Open GL video card, we have used the Polymer version with the original netcode but still get 'out of sync' problems. The last original netcode with Polymer I believe is version 20091213-1566. Some of the addons like DukePlus, Nuclear Winter Plus, and Vacation (Caribbean) Plus works on these old netcode (but still get the 'out of sync' problems) Polymer versions.

The HRP pack does work for this stable multiplaying version (just activate the 'autoload' on EDuke32 menu).

I hope this helps for some who's interesting in multiplaying.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeadmeat_1971, on 07 January 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Some of the addons like Nuclear Winter Plus, and Vacation (Caribbean) Plus works on these old netcode (but still get the 'out of sync' problems) Polymer versions.

Believe it or not, but in all the years I have been organizing these packs I have never (or a similarly low number) had someone tell me they were able to DukeMatch using them. It is great to hear this!

I am curious. What method do you use to launch them? The way I would do it is replace "eduke32.exe" in your command lines with "NWinter.bat" or "Caribbean.bat" and the networking parameters will pass through when eduke32.exe itself is launched.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 07 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 07 January 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Believe it or not, but in all the years I have been organizing these packs I have never had someone tell me they were able to DukeMatch using them. It is great to hear this!

I am curious. What method do you use to launch them? The way I would do it is replace "eduke32.exe" in your command lines with "NWinter.bat" or "Caribbean.bat" and the networking parameters will pass through when eduke32.exe itself is launched.

Hendricks266! These packs are wonderful thanks for uploading them. To answer your question.. What I did was edit the .bat file... Here's a partial copy of the .bat file (under :arguments) for Vacation Plus (client side):

:arguments
set args=
if exist "%exedir%\HRP\" set args=%args% -jHRP
if exist "%exedir%\polymer_hrp\" set args=%args% -jpolymer_hrp
if exist "%exedir%\duke3d_voxel.zip" set args=%args% -gduke3d_voxel.zip
if exist "%exedir%\duke3d_hrp.zip" set args=%args% -gduke3d_hrp.zip
if exist "%exedir%\hrp_update.zip" set args=%args% -ghrp_update.zip
if exist "%exedir%\maphacks.zip" set args=%args% -gmaphacks.zip
if exist "%exedir%\eduke32_mus.zip" set args=%args% -geduke32_mus.zip
if exist "%addondir%" if not "%addondir%"=="%exedir%" set args=%args% -j"%addondir:\=/%"
if exist "%addonhrpdir%" if not "%addonhrpdir%"=="%exedir%" if not "%addonhrpdir%"=="%addondir%" set args=%args% -j"%addonhrpdir:\=/%"
set args=%args% -g%vacagrpname% -hvacation.def -xVacaEDuke.con /net /n0 192.168.2.1
if "%editor%"=="1" set args=%args% -namesfile VacaNames.h
if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -hvaca_dp.def -xVacaDP.con
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_lite.zip" set args=%args% -gxxx_lite.zip
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_lite\" set args=%args% -jxxx_lite
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_pack.zip" set args=%args% -gxxx_pack.zip
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_pack\" set args=%args% -jxxx_pack
if "%xxx%"=="1" set args=%args% -hvaca_xxx.def
if "%xxx%"=="1" if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -hvaca_dp_xxx.def -xVacaDPXXX.con
set args=%args% %*
if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -jDukePlus

For Nuclear Plus (once again under :arguments) (client side):

:arguments
set args=
if exist "%exedir%\HRP\" set args=%args% -jHRP
if exist "%exedir%\polymer_hrp\" set args=%args% -jpolymer_hrp
if exist "%exedir%\duke3d_voxel.zip" set args=%args% -gduke3d_voxel.zip
if exist "%exedir%\duke3d_hrp.zip" set args=%args% -gduke3d_hrp.zip
if exist "%exedir%\hrp_update.zip" set args=%args% -ghrp_update.zip
if exist "%exedir%\maphacks.zip" set args=%args% -gmaphacks.zip
if exist "%exedir%\eduke32_mus.zip" set args=%args% -geduke32_mus.zip
if exist "%addondir%" if not "%addondir%"=="%exedir%" set args=%args% -j"%addondir:\=/%"
if exist "%addonhrpdir%" if not "%addonhrpdir%"=="%exedir%" if not "%addonhrpdir%"=="%addondir%" set args=%args% -j"%addonhrpdir:\=/%"
set args=%args% -g%nwgrpname% -hnwinter.def -xNWEDuke.con /net /n0 192.168.2.1
if "%editor%"=="1" set args=%args% -namesfile NWNames.h
if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -hnw_dp.def -xNWDP.con
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_lite.zip" set args=%args% -gxxx_lite.zip
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_lite\" set args=%args% -jxxx_lite
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_pack.zip" set args=%args% -gxxx_pack.zip
if "%xxx%"=="1" if exist "%exedir%\xxx_pack\" set args=%args% -jxxx_pack
if "%xxx%"=="1" set args=%args% -hnw_xxx.def
if "%xxx%"=="1" if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -hnw_dp_xxx.def -xNWDPXXX.con
set args=%args% %*
if "%dp%"=="1" set args=%args% -jDukePlus

For server part, just add /net /n0:3 (where 3 is the number of players)

By the way, we play Cooperative not Dukematch. However, I had to edit (add cooperative spawn spots) for the original Nuclear Winter maps E2L2, E2L3, E2L4, E2L5, and E2L6 by using a GRP Viewer program to extract these maps. The original (commercial) maps do NOT have cooperative spawn spots so I had to edit them. I do not know if this is legal to upload them so I haven't (sorry).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I applaud you for being able to navigate my batch files. :unsure:

Quite some time ago I fixed the positions of the coop spawn points for NWL1 and NWL2 and I added coop spawn points to NWL3-7. These changes are included in the map patching that the installation procedure performs on the maps it extracts from the data. One way to tell if you are playing my versions of the maps is that I added ambient sounds of arctic winds from level three to level seven. Also, my procedure renames the actual NW map files from an E2 prefix to an NW prefix to avoid a number of issues.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 07 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 07 January 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

I applaud you for being able to navigate my batch files. :unsure:

Quite some time ago I fixed the positions of the coop spawn points for NWL1 and NWL2 and I added coop spawn points to NWL3-7. These changes are included in the map patching that the installation procedure performs on the maps it extracts from the data. One way to tell if you are playing my versions of the maps is that I added ambient sounds of arctic winds from level three to level seven. Also, my procedure renames the actual NW map files from an E2 prefix to an NW prefix to avoid a number of issues.

Hendricks266, thanks for telling me this information (regarding the added spawn spots). I will remember that the next time that I need to reinstall the pack(s). I would download SP (single-player) maps and add these cooperative spawn spots when needed. By the way, I've only uploaded a map for Duke Nukem 3D many years ago (if interesting). It's referred as "homeward" (for Duke Nukem 3D 1.3) or "duke969a" (for the Atomic Edition).

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options