• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF New Footage!  "No joke"

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on Apr 10 2010, 10:17 AM, said:

Just walk into a Papal conference and announce in a loud and authoritative voice that the Second Coming of Christ wasn't really that important anyway.

At first glace I thought you said Paypal conference. That would be hilarious. :P

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postblackharted, on Apr 10 2010, 08:53 AM, said:

I HAVE played all the way to the bitter end, and your post impiles there's and differance between the way i play games and the way you do BS! playing a game is playing a game, no differance at all.

Actually there are hundreds of ways to play games. Some people play fast, some people play slow. Some people are cautious, some people are wreckless. Some people like to plot, plan, and scheme, others like to just go in guns blazing. Some people enjoy exploring every nook and cranny for items, goodies, backstory, and secrets. Others cant be bothered.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 10 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

Actually there are hundreds of ways to play games. Some people play fast, some people play slow. Some people are cautious, some people are wreckless. Some people like to plot, plan, and scheme, others like to just go in guns blazing. Some people enjoy exploring every nook and cranny for items, goodies, backstory, and secrets. Others cant be bothered.

You win this round.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View Postblackharted, on Apr 10 2010, 11:53 AM, said:

By the way if you want to see how real games should be made, check out Batman: Arkham Asylum and GTA: Chinatown Wars. Before you laugh, think about it: two very well put together, well made, well written, and highly polished games that are pleasantly surprising.

fixed.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Thank you Mr. Flibble. ^^

User is offline   Zeus 

View PostTea Monster, on Apr 8 2010, 08:10 PM, said:

Go easy on them Commando Nukem, these console kiddies don't know what the hell they're talking about! They wouldn't know a REAL shooter if it bit them in the ass.

Console kiddies? A bit childish of you, don't you think?
Pc has it's benefits and consoles have their benefits, and gaming is gaming period.
And most all of the REAL (are there unreal shooters? don't really get that part) come out on console.
HL1, HL2 for ex came out on consoles. Non-editable but 80% of gamers don't care about that.

About the duke footage, actually not very impressed.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostZeus, on Apr 11 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

(are there unreal shooters?

Well.. :P

• Judge Mental

What I love about the footage is all the locations feel very distinct. The trend of locales being very "samey" as in many FPS games of late seems to have been finally squashed. Some sections give me a vibe of Half-Life 2, some of FEAR, little nuggets of Crysis and Doom3. Very cool stuff.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostZeus, on Apr 11 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

Console kiddies? A bit childish of you, don't you think?

No. If you come onto a gaming forum and declare that HL1 is overated, then you get what you get.

View PostZeus, on Apr 11 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

...are there unreal shooters? don't really get that part...

For the love of... :P

This could only happen on the DNF forum :D

View PostTea Monster, on Apr 11 2010, 11:27 PM, said:

No. If you come onto a gaming forum and declare that HL1 is overated, then you get what you get.

You're saying HL1 isn't overrated?

I mean don't get me wrong here it's a fine game but jesus, it's not like it's the second coming of Christ either. I can think of quite a few games I like better than Half-Life.. maybe the most relevant choice (same timeframe and genre) would be Unreal..

User is offline   Outtagum 

Overrated is overrated. So is underrated.

• Judge Mental

View PostSangman, on Apr 11 2010, 05:15 PM, said:

You're saying HL1 isn't overrated?

Half-Life wasnt overrated. Looking at it in its historical context, no, it wasnt. It was freaking huge in its time.

View PostSangman, on Apr 11 2010, 05:15 PM, said:

I mean don't get me wrong here it's a fine game but jesus, it's not like it's the second coming of Christ either. I can think of quite a few games I like better than Half-Life.. maybe the most relevant choice (same timeframe and genre) would be Unreal..

Nobody said it was the second coming of Christ. Just that it wasnt overrated. Its one thing to say "I didnt like it." Its another to say it was somehow given too much credit. Half-Life was a game changer, even if you dont like the game itself or the story, what it did to the industry, what it pushed for were the best things games should be pushing for. Immersive enviroments, good story, atmosphere, interesting weapons, smart opposition... Not to mention it raised the bar on mod making to a level it simply hadnt been too yet.

Its one thing to say "Hey, Half-Life wasnt for me." You can not like something and still understand and appreciate what it did, and why it was important.

User is offline   Stabs 

half-life did quite a bit on how to present and make a game play out, in comparison to quake 2 which was only 1 year earlier, half-lifes features and gameplay were light years ahead of quake 2, and in comparison to quake 1, HL just kicks it in the balls.
Lots of thought goes into all decisions in the HL games, just play with the dev commentary, you'll learn from that

but speaking of underated games

system shock 2

THAT is the best game ever, if you havnt played it, your really missing out

User is offline   Zeus 

View PostTea Monster, on Apr 11 2010, 11:27 PM, said:

This could only happen on the DNF forum :D

Why? Is it so special here? :P
BTW You're right, I forgot Unreal and Unreal Tournament. :D

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDanM, on Apr 12 2010, 03:44 PM, said:

but speaking of underated games

Warzone 2100

THAT is the best game ever, if you havnt played it, your really missing out

Corrected that for my opinion, it's not a FPS though.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 12 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 12 2010, 04:42 AM, said:

Its one thing to say "I didnt like it." Its another to say it was somehow given too much credit. Half-Life was a game changer, even if you dont like the game itself or the story, what it did to the industry, what it pushed for were the best things games should be pushing for. Immersive enviroments, good story, atmosphere, interesting weapons, smart opposition...

Well I can agree about smart AI (in comparison to what was seen up to that point, of course) but I didn't find the environment or atmosphere to be very immersive or the weapons to be very interesting. The story is open for debate, back with the first HL it was pretty much a "aliens have spawned after some kind of accident you gotta kill them oh and there's this dude wearing a tie stalking you" kind of thing, IMO it's only after HL2 and the episodes made further additions to the story that it became more interesting.

So, yes, I can say it's overated. IMO :P

What's the purpose of having to publically disclaim that it's just your opinion in every post, of course it's my opinion, it doesn't have citation marks around it so who else's could it be?

BTW similarly I would say HL2 has gotten too much credit on release solely because of the ginormous hype that surrounded it. EP2 though is much better than any of the previous HL games.. I'd say, if you want to claim that an HL game is a gift from god, Episode Two would be it - now THAT is interesting, great pacing, plenty of terrific gameplay moments and all of that..

I would say the only HL games that deserved the praise were Opposing Force and Episode Two. Blue Shift should've gotten a bit more praise, I really enjoyed the fuck out of that one.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 12 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

View PostSangman, on Apr 12 2010, 06:09 AM, said:

Well I can agree about smart AI (in comparison to what was seen up to that point, of course) but I didn't find the environment or atmosphere to be very immersive or the weapons to be very interesting. The story is open for debate, back with the first HL it was pretty much a "aliens have spawned after some kind of accident you gotta kill them oh and there's this dude wearing a tie stalking you" kind of thing, IMO it's only after HL2 and the episodes made further additions to the story that it became more interesting.

So, yes, I can say it's overated. IMO :P

What's the purpose of having to publically disclaim that it's just your opinion in every post, of course it's my opinion, it doesn't have citation marks around it so who else's could it be?

BTW similarly I would say HL2 has gotten too much credit on release solely because of the ginormous hype that surrounded it. EP2 though is much better than any of the previous HL games.. I'd say, if you want to claim that an HL game is a gift from god, Episode Two would be it - now THAT is interesting, great pacing, plenty of terrific gameplay moments and all of that..

I would say the only HL games that deserved the praise were Opposing Force and Episode Two. Blue Shift should've gotten a bit more praise, I really enjoyed the fuck out of that one.

He's trying to get the point across. You all make good points but the games mentioned are still overated however HL2 is the most overated out of all. However THE most overated game in the world is Portal.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 12 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

View Postblackharted, on Apr 12 2010, 06:20 PM, said:

However THE most overated game in the world is Portal.

you can't say that you can say "i don't like it" but you can't state your opinion as a fact like that

Hey I think I can see why HL is so overrated, it's because many other games that were released around that time was sucky balls so maybe the players' perception of quality had shifted or something?

View PostSangman, on Apr 12 2010, 10:37 AM, said:

you can't say that you can say "i don't like it" but you can't state your opinion as a fact like that

Hey I think I can see why HL is so overrated, it's because many other games that were released around that time was sucky balls so maybe the players' perception of quality had shifted or something?

But my opinion IS fact as Portal wasn't good but somehow critics praised it too much thus its overated.

I was just parodying the comments I got on my posts :P However I'll disagree that Portal wasn't good, I loved it. Too bad it's not very replayable but hey it was very enjoyable.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 12 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

View PostSangman, on Apr 12 2010, 10:54 AM, said:

I was just parodying the comments I got on my posts :P However I'll disagree that Portal wasn't good, I loved it. Too bad it's not very replayable but hey it was very enjoyable.

How was it enjoyable? it was barebones and boring.

User is offline   UglyNacho 

View Postblackharted, on Apr 12 2010, 12:34 PM, said:

People have their opinions. I like how this thread turned into a portal/half-life discussion. :P

View Postblackharted, on Apr 12 2010, 03:34 PM, said:

Dude, you're a fucking idiot.

It was mostly a 'puzzle' game. You don't like it. That's fine.

Doesn't make it "overrated".

View PostZor, on Apr 12 2010, 06:11 PM, said:

Dude, you're a fucking idiot.

It was mostly a 'puzzle' game. You don't like it. That's fine.

Doesn't make it "overrated".

Does too

User is offline   adlib 

So judging by the this footage, 3D Realms had so many videos and screenshots to give to the fans who were begging for it,
instead they chose to blatantly ignore them and give them shitty 320x200 pixelated pics. Maybe closing down serves them right...

• I have the power!

False. Former employees recorded stuff to show to potential employers. This stuff was shamelessly stolen from personal portfolio sites.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Apr 18 2010, 09:26 AM, said:

False. Former employees recorded stuff to show to potential employers. This stuff was shamelessly stolen from personal portfolio sites.

Your false is false.

View Postadlib, on Apr 18 2010, 12:11 PM, said:

So judging by the this footage, 3D Realms had so many videos and screenshots to give to the fans who were begging for it,
instead they chose to blatantly ignore them and give them shitty 320x200 pixelated pics. Maybe closing down serves them right...

:P

Um... really?

REALLY?

:D

• I have the power!

View Postblackharted, on Apr 18 2010, 01:49 PM, said:

Your false is false.

http://www.formsprin...ard/q/387178891

I am always right.

• Judge Mental

View PostMr.Flibble, on Apr 18 2010, 12:52 PM, said:

Always bet on Flibble.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options