Duke4.net Forums: The Menu Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Menu Thread

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Well as there seems to be a group of menu graphics floating in the HRP update thread, i thought i would make a thread for Menu graphics.
I will start off and i hope we will see some of the good menu and title art in here (Steveeeie i am talking to you ;) )

I will kick it off with the stuff i posted earlier today and i hope that others will follow me. If you haven't made anything for the menu's or title maybe you should give it a go.
You should post a preview image and a Zip with the graphics inside. Please do not Zip the whole screen folder that is just a pain, make a Zip with the art you have done inside it is much simpler for people to decide what they want to use and if they want to switch.

Please do not modify anyone's work without their permission.

Here is my screen
Posted Image

When you get the Zip extract it to your Screen folder.
If you use the HRP in a Zip just open the archive, Backup the original files, and replace them with the new ones.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Steveeeie 

good idea. I recoloured Duke originally as well (as can slightly be seen in my avatar) but decided to leave him as he was for the final image.

User is offline   Sir Tobbii 

Okay then, here goes again! ;)

Here's mine:
Posted Image
I'm still working on it though.

Edit:
Attached the current version.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Sir Tobbii: 12 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wow, they're looking good! original and modern. I don't think I'll use them in the game (although on second thought it is kind of tempting...) but they look awesome though ;)

User is offline   Spiker 

The menus look fine. Although I don't think they will be incorporated into the HRP. They're more likely to serve as wallpapers. And this is why I'd rather you guys tried your hand at some other tiles (preferably the ones that are still missing).

This post has been edited by Spiker: 13 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

Spiker, on Jan 13 2010, 06:55 AM, said:

The menus look fine. Although I don't think they will be incorporated into the HRP. They're more likely to serve as wallpapers. And this is why I'd rather you guys tried your hand at some other tiles (preferably the ones that are still missing).

yeah, but its still nice for some bland opening to look cooler
but steveeeie is really good, and i do suggest that he moves on from the menu opening to redoing models, textures, missing textures, etc. but if he doesnt any time soon then thats fine with me hes awsome and just what we need ;)

Steveeeie, on Jan 13 2010, 02:05 AM, said:

good idea. I recoloured Duke originally as well (as can slightly be seen in my avatar) but decided to leave him as he was for the final image.

You recoloured him into Baloo? ;)

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 13 2010, 03:40 PM, said:

You recoloured him into Baloo? ;)

:P it has crossed my mind. I changed my avatar earlier forgetting i posted that, ah well.

User is offline   Sangman 

Disruptor's one looks pretty cool save for the letters. Not a fan of Sir Tobii's at all though ;) It's just too red.

Sangman, on Jan 13 2010, 02:21 PM, said:

Disruptor's one looks pretty cool save for the letters. Not a fan of Sir Tobii's at all though ;) It's just too red.

Save for the letters? Is this a good thing or bad thing? :P

As in: background looks great, the letters (duke nukem 3d atomic) don't

Well i got bored and done another screen.
Thinking about what Sangman said i would have a mirrored opinion (I didn't like the background much and i think the logos are the only thing that saved it)
I do however think the logos could have been better. My previous screen aside i liked the atomic logo so i kept that but gave the rest a COMPLETE overhaul.

Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by DISRUPTOR: 13 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

wow that background suits it really well. I wonder if it'd look better with or without the mushroom cloud... Either way it has a good feel about it, sort of like it's showing what Duke's protecting, portraying to a greater extent that he's defending the Earth type thing.

User is offline   Mark 

DISRUPTOR

How does this look? I took the DUKENUKEM text from your first pic,gave it some texture, and just cut and pasted it over the text on your second pic. Not a neat job but it's just to show you the suggestion. I tried a bunch of different textures and many of them looked good. I chose this one because it was the first one I did. I like your new backround.

This post has been edited by Marked: 13 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Marked, on Jan 13 2010, 07:45 PM, said:

DISRUPTOR

How does this look? I took the DUKENUKEM text from your first pic,gave it some texture, and just cut and pasted it over the text on your second pic. Not a neat job but it's just to show you the suggestion. I tried a bunch of different textures and many of them looked good. I chose this one because it was the first one I did. I like your new backround.

Not bad, you don't like the new text? ;)

Hmm... DISRUPTOR, looking at your new one just gave me an idea... *rushes of to Photoshop*

This post has been edited by Sir Tobbii: 14 January 2010 - 04:57 AM

Here is... Sir Tobbii's Duke3DNeon Pack! ... Though it's far from finished, just thought I'd here what people think so far. And yes, I'll make "Duke Nukem" easier to see.

Posted Image

btw, DISRUPTOR, just so you know, I didn't even notice that we used the same LA bg untill half-way through my work. xD

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 07:00 AM, said:

Here is... Sir Tobbii's Duke3DNeon Pack! ... Though it's far from finished, just thought I'd here what people think so far. And yes, I'll make "Duke Nukem" easier to see.

Posted Image

btw, DISRUPTOR, just so you know, I didn't even notice that we used the same LA bg untill half-way through my work. xD

Would you mind if i cut your duke out and use it on my last one? I like the colour levels you have going on there and i cant seem to get a good look.

DISRUPTOR, on Jan 14 2010, 04:03 PM, said:

Would you mind if i cut your duke out and use it on my last one? I like the colour levels you have going on there and i cant seem to get a good look.

I can send you my PSD so you can grab whatever you want from it. You see, the colour comes from a layer blended. ^^

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 07:06 AM, said:

I can send you my PSD so you can grab whatever you want from it. You see, the colour comes from a layer blended. ^^

Sure i mean i just want to create a good screen, you know? One that people will want to use over the old one. Seems like we got a bit of a douche up in the HRP thread though. I get what was said but i just think Hendricks needs to lay off.

Well since we have this thread now there shouldn't be any problems. So, what do you think of the Neon WIP menu? ;)

((uploading the psd to megaupload now, I'll send you soon))

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 08:13 AM, said:

Well since we have this thread now there shouldn't be any problems. So, what do you think of the Neon WIP menu? ;)

((uploading the psd to megaupload now, I'll send you soon))

The background is ok. I think the flame should be doubled then mirrored because it leans too far to one side. And i don't like the transparent look on the logos.
They might look better with something inside the neon outline. just my opinion but you do what you think will look good :P

This post has been edited by DISRUPTOR: 14 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

I agree with you, however, it's hard to edit the logo without straying off path too much. Update coming soon.

UPDATE: Better or Worse?
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sir Tobbii: 14 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 08:37 AM, said:

I agree with you, however, it's hard to edit the logo without straying off path too much. Update coming soon.

UPDATE: Better or Worse?
Posted Image

Yeah it is looking better ;)

I updated the last one a little.
Posted Image

Not really sure if it's necessary to change the background to a city landscape but that doesn't mean it looks bad, Sir Tobii's latest input actually looks quite good although Duke seems to be a bit too yellow/orange ;)

Sangman, on Jan 14 2010, 05:37 PM, said:

Not really sure if it's necessary to change the background to a city landscape but that doesn't mean it looks bad, Sir Tobii's latest input actually looks quite good although Duke seems to be a bit too yellow/orange ;)

Maybe I should add some flames in front of him as well so that his orange-ness feels more natural? :P

@DISRUPTOR: not really a fan of that bloodsplatter. But it looks good!

This post has been edited by Sir Tobbii: 14 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

Maybe I should add some flames in front of him as well so that his orange-ness feels more natural? ;)

I think that will just enhanced the impression that this is a game about a flaming red guy who stands in flames and has flames all around him.

Sir Tobbii, on Jan 14 2010, 05:48 PM, said:

Maybe I should add some flames in front of him as well so that his orange-ness feels more natural? ;)

Can't tell if you're serious or not but that would completely fuck it up, I think. Maybe you need to get rid of the flames altogether.. and I just noticed the "fade to black" thing doesn't look that good, what is Duke shooting at? Why isn't it on the menu screen?

Personally I always thought the Duke boxart was immensely cool because it showed Duke in front of a nuclear explosion standing on some alien's head and shooting him point blank in the face.. while your renewed boxart doesn't look bad by any means, it cut out all the stuff that I found cool about the original boxart :P

I see what you mean, currently adjusting the fade and things, the alien's head is quite vissible now. But I like the flames so I don't think I'll change that.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options