Duke4.net Forums: Dukebike mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dukebike mod  "Christmas gift of Duke, his bike"

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 2 2010, 02:05 AM, said:

Did you just imply that video games should only allow us to do things we can do in real life?

+1

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 1 2010, 05:24 PM, said:

Some bugs:
The crosshair does not correspond to where Duke is actually aiming when on the bike.

I try to resolve it, it's pretty annoying

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 1 2010, 05:24 PM, said:

Collision damage is inconsistent: sometimes I take no damage at all. Also, it does not seem to detect sprite collisions, and the damage does not seem to be scaled to the speed of the bike.

Collision damage is adapted to speed ! I could change the percentage of damage/speed is not a problem... I also wanted to add a display of speed and damage in the HUD. but yes no collision between sprite

I do not understand the complaints of some on handling, it offers total freedom, driving and shooting in all directions at the same time, how do you want aim with the gun if you turn with the mouse?!!

you should be able to play like that if you have good keysetting http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ox2ak-gVCk4

ps : Be sure to have the last version I put to download, some updates on the fire system have been made

This post has been edited by Muelsa: 01 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Whatever, I don't really care to argue. Some of you people don't really get the point of criticism. It doesn't have to be taken, but to argue it is simply stupid.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 1 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

Either way, I don't really see the point of shooting behind yourself, because no one could control a motorcycle, shoot a shotgun, and keep driving in real life

Arnold Swalzenegger can, i saw him in Rocky 3, onto his fatboy motorcycle chasing and firing a shotgun against a truck driven by a policeman.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 01 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostGambini, on Jan 1 2010, 06:00 PM, said:

Arnold Swalzenegger can, i saw him in Rocky 3, onto his fatboy motorcycle chasing and firing a shotgun against a truck driven by a policeman.

Rocky 3 ?!? Its Terminator 2 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=htpL9i5WSp4 it was he who gave me the idea :lol:

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMuelsa, on Jan 1 2010, 06:07 PM, said:

Rocky 3 ?!? Its Terminator 2 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=htpL9i5WSp4 it was he who gave me the idea :lol:

I was wondering about that, because the animation of him holding the shotgun at different angles reminded me very much of that scene with the Terminator rescuing Conner.

User is offline   Gambini 

It´s funny how that Honda XR80 bike sounds as a two strokes engine when it´s a four strokes. Also the gearing sound doesn´t match when the kid pulls the clutch lever. That video must be a fake buddy, the movie is Rocky 3.

Sorry for delaying the topic. I will shut up

User is offline   supergoofy 

Is there are going to be repair kits for damaged bikes?

Why I'm saying that. Let's say that in a map that there are many bikes, there are only keys for 1 bike. This means that you cannot use the other bikes. If the bike is damaged, there must be a way to fix it.
Also maybe the idea of some upgrades for the bike that will increase its durability, or increase the speed etc. , or a parachute attached to the bike while falling from high buildings.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on Jan 1 2010, 06:42 PM, said:

Is there are going to be repair kits for damaged bikes?

Why I'm saying that. Let's say that in a map that there are many bikes, there are only keys for 1 bike. This means that you cannot use the other bikes. If the bike is damaged, there must be a way to fix it.

or a parachute attached to the bike while falling from high buildings.

Why are you in such a hurry to take a straight baddass mod and make it gay?

Maybe a little elf should send you on a side quest to find the right key, eh? And then he can lecture you if you try the wrong key on a bike, and if you kill him you fail the mission. Is that gay enough for you? :lol:

Sorry to disappoint you bad I don't have a clue, I'm straight. Maybe you should ask a gay. :lol:

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 01 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on Jan 1 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

sorry to disappoint you bad I don't have a clue, I'm straight. maybe you should ask a gay. :lol:

I did, I just asked a bunch of gay guys what they thought of it, and they said, "Some ideas are too gay even for us."

But seriously, making the bike repairable isn't such a bad idea, but it would be easier and more realistic just to have enough bikes in the map so the player can get a new one.

Well, I have stupid ideas and talk bullshit all the time :lol:

But an upgrade kit for the dukebike would be nice

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 01 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think the ability to repair it makes sense, but only if there was a way to know of the bike's damages, before it starts smoking.

The parachute idea is also pretty cool.

User is offline   Stabs 

Iam just thinking of letting duke have the 1 bike that never breaks for the whole level
he can worry about his own health without having to manage repairs or finding a new bike, thats how i intend to use it anyway

tricky buisness if you make a level that needs a bike to complete and you dont have one :lol:

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Jan 1 2010, 09:09 PM, said:

Iam just thinking of letting duke have the 1 bike that never breaks for the whole level
he can worry about his own health without having to manage repairs or finding a new bike, thats how i intend to use it anyway

tricky buisness if you make a level that needs a bike to complete and you dont have one :lol:

If unbreakable vehicles are good enough for Half Life 2, then they are good enough for us. :lol:

Of course you realize that since your project is based on Duke Plus, having a bike level for your episode will mean incorporating the bike into Duke Plus. Hopefully Muelsa is ok with that, and it won't be too difficult. At any rate, I won't touch the code until he thinks he's finished with it.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostDanM, on Jan 1 2010, 01:58 AM, said:

well here is a temp patch to make it work with dukeplus

extract to your duke3d dir with dukeplus 206 and run the Dukebike for Dukeplus.bat

really fun throwing pipebombs while nailing ppl with the double barrell on the bike :lol:

http://myfreefilehos...262ebc53_5.51MB

heh one step ahead mr.bond, he seems ok with it :lol:

HL2 is a great example, Iam sure valve looked at implementing dmg and repairing but would you like to do the ant-lion lvls with vehicle dmg? i bet it wouldnt be fun

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 1 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

I think the ability to repair it makes sense, but only if there was a way to know of the bike's damages, before it starts smoking.

I thought of "toolkits" that we can pick up to repair the bike... it could be useful in a "multiplayer dead race"

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 1 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

The parachute idea is also pretty cool.

He has a jetpack, i do not want to overload

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 1 2010, 09:22 PM, said:

If unbreakable vehicles are good enough for Half Life 2, then they are good enough for us. :lol:

I can add a hi-tag that will make the bike indestructible, but I fear that if the bike gets stuck somewhere the problem is not solved. As in GTA, when the vehicle gets stuck it self-destructs

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 1 2010, 09:22 PM, said:

Of course you realize that since your project is based on Duke Plus, having a bike level for your episode will mean incorporating the bike into Duke Plus. Hopefully Muelsa is ok with that, and it won't be too difficult. At any rate, I won't touch the code until he thinks he's finished with it.

do what you want, as long as it's cool :lol:

• Duke Plus Developer

Fun! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3HLsC6Mol_k

That was just a quick copy and paste job, there's still some bugs (like the fact that the duke bike is not compatible with my F7 mode).

Something that I noticed:

Up arrow is used for acceleration and Down arrow for brake. While the bike is on the ground this works as it should. But what about when the bike is on the air. If you hit brake while on air the bike will de-accelerate. This is not real bike behavior. I don't know if you can fix this.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on Jan 2 2010, 01:56 AM, said:

Up arrow is used for acceleration and Down arrow for brake. While the bike is on the ground this works as it should. But what about when the bike is on the air. If you hit brake while on air the bike will de-accelerate. This is not real bike behavior. I don't know if you can fix this.

That will be very easy for any coder to fix. Just make it respond to the brake command only when on the ground. Muelsa probably didn't notice that, because he doesn't press brake in the air.

Obviously I found about it accidentally. I wanted to de-accelerate immediately when the bike's tires touch the roof of the high building after the big jump. Thus I pressed brake mid-air. And then I discovered the issue.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 02 January 2010 - 04:33 AM

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 2 2010, 01:38 AM, said:

Fun! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3HLsC6Mol_k
That was just a quick copy and paste job, there's still some bugs (like the fact that the duke bike is not compatible with my F7 mode).

:lol: :lol:

View Postsupergoofy, on Jan 2 2010, 01:56 AM, said:

Yes i noticed i was just wondering if i should leave or remove, maybe some one would like to control their landing, it gives one arcade side, i dont now ... there's another bug, if you press up + down or right + left the bike gets stuck. In fact, there still some animations that I'd like to add, that's why i left these combinations "free" I'll try to add burning & wheeling when you press these keys

User is offline   RedSniper 

Hilarious & impressive work! :lol:

• Duke Plus Developer

I just removed the bike code from Duke Plus, because you are still working on it. I'll add it back in at some later date. I want to mention a few things before I forget:

1. Using the bike makes bullet decal disappear very quickly. Maybe your code is spawning a lot of invisible stuff that is going into the deletion queue and crowding out the decals?

2. Your collision system is using a lot of resources (this may explain 1 as well). You have it using findnearsprite3d six times every tic (looking for different collision projectiles) and then firing the corresponding projectiles whenever they are not found. I think I know why you are doing it this way. The bike is moved with movesprite, which means it is teleporting and its htmovflag does not get set in a collision, so you had to come up with a proxy for detecting collisions.

3. I also saw an ifnotmoving hitradius... which I'm pretty sure you can do without.

4. You don't need to put { } around single commands, even when they are part of if statements (for example ifvare VARIABLE 0 { killit } can be ifvare VARIABLE 0 killit.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 2 2010, 10:13 AM, said:

1. Using the bike makes bullet decal disappear very quickly. Maybe your code is spawning a lot of invisible stuff that is going into the deletion queue and crowding out the decals?

perhaps these line ? I try with espawn...
ifvare nearaltimeter1 -1
ifvare nearaltimeter2 -1
{
eqspawn ALTIMETER1 .......
}

2. Your collision system is using a lot of resources (this may explain 1 as well). You have it using findnearsprite3d six times every tic (looking for different collision projectiles) and then firing the corresponding projectiles whenever they are not found. I think I know why you are doing it this way. The bike is moved with movesprite, which means it is teleporting and its htmovflag does not get set in a collision, so you had to come up with a proxy for detecting collisions.

I'm not sure I understood everything... the player is moved with movesprite, I did not use this for the bike. but detecting collisions with htmovflag, if I understood correctly?

3. I also saw an ifnotmoving hitradius... which I'm pretty sure you can do without.

LOL I made this because I was frustrated not to have collisions between sprites

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMuelsa, on Jan 2 2010, 12:39 PM, said:

perhaps these line ? I try with espawn...
ifvare nearaltimeter1 -1
ifvare nearaltimeter2 -1
{
eqspawn ALTIMETER1 .......
}

Yeah, that looks like it would cause the problem. Just kill them after a certain amount of time instead of using eqspawn.

View PostMuelsa, on Jan 2 2010, 12:39 PM, said:

I'm not sure I understood everything... the player is moved with movesprite, I did not use this for the bike. but detecting collisions with htmovflag, if I understood correctly?

LOL I made this because I was frustrated not to have collisions between sprites

The htmovflag member of a sprite is nonzero whenever the sprite is trying to move but unable to do so (same as ifnotmoving). The value in htmovflag can be decoded to tell you exactly what the sprite is hitting: which sprite or which wall. I can give you code for doing that if you need it. In your case, you would perform the operation on the RETURN variable in the movesprite command, not on the htmovflag member. That's because when you use the movesprite command, it is doing the movement instantaneously -- htmovflag does not get set when you use movesprite on a sprite, but the RETURN var on the movesprite command works the same way as htmovflag.

• Duke Plus Developer

Here is how to get the information about what you hit out of movesprite:

movesprite THISACTOR xvel yvel zvel CLIPMASK0 RETURN
ifvarn RETURN 0 // hit something
{
	setvarvar TEMPSAVE RETURN
	addvar RETURN 16384
	ifvarl RETURN 16384 ifvarg RETURN -1 // hit a sprite
	{
		// RETURN IS THE ID OF THE HIT SPRITE
		state handlehitsprite
	}
	else
	{
		setvarvar RETURN TEMPSAVE
		andvar RETURN 49152
		ifvare RETURN 32768 // hit a wall
		{
			andvar TEMPSAVE 16383 // TEMPSAVE is now the ID of the hit wall
			state handlehitwall
		}
	}
}

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 02 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 2 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah, that looks like it would cause the problem. Just kill them after a certain amount of time instead of using eqspawn.

I solved the problem, I replaced eqspawn by espawn. the pipe bomb and the decals do not disappear now

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 2 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

The htmovflag member of a sprite is nonzero whenever the sprite is trying to move but unable to do so (same as ifnotmoving). The value in htmovflag can be decoded to tell you exactly what the sprite is hitting: which sprite or which wall. I can give you code for doing that if you need it. In your case, you would perform the operation on the RETURN variable in the movesprite command, not on the htmovflag member. That's because when you use the movesprite command, it is doing the movement instantaneously -- htmovflag does not get set when you use movesprite on a sprite, but the RETURN var on the movesprite command works the same way as htmovflag.

I never could understand that meant the RETURN... and CLIPMASK = clipdist ? :lol: .. I'd like to know how you use it, it seems to me an excellent solution for creating sprite collisions... with my projectile collision I had to disable this flag PROJECTILE_FLAG_BOUNCESOFFSPRITES 128, because the bike was hited by its own projectile at high speed.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMuelsa, on Jan 2 2010, 02:03 PM, said:

I never could understand that meant the RETURN... and CLIPMASK = clipdist ? :lol: .. I'd like to know how you use it, it seems to me an excellent solution for creating sprite collisions... with my projectile collision I had to disable this flag PROJECTILE_FLAG_BOUNCESOFFSPRITES 128, because the bike was hited by its own projectile at high speed.

RETURN is a pre-defined gamevar which can be used for temporary storage. You could use your own gamevar as the return var in movesprite instead. CLIPMASK1 is a pre-defined value which tells the movesprite function which kinds of things the sprite will bump into. The code I wrote above should work for you.

User is offline   Stabs 

would a headlight using a spotlight be out of the question?

i guess crouch could turn it on

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options