Duke4.net Forums: Client/server multiplayer prototype issues thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Client/server multiplayer prototype issues thread

User is offline   SwissCm 

You broke it again. You suck dick TerminX.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Works for me, bitch tits!

User is offline   Skulldog 

I like how the host can now start the game before anyone joins. 3 things i noticed so far.
1. No Score Board
2. When player joins they die right away, but can respawn ok.
3. Some of the time the player that join, respawns in the position they die in. (Laying flat and floating in air.)
Looks normal to the player that join. But the player that started the game see this.
Good job TX. Happy New Year!

Found that if I disable the autoload folder, Problems 2, and 3 do not happen anymore. So the Hrp causes the problems.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 31 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostSkulldog, on Jan 1 2010, 06:12 AM, said:

Found that if I disable the autoload folder, Problems 2, and 3 do not happen anymore. So the Hrp causes the problems.

You shouldn't even really be using the HRP or anything at all when testing this, although I have always frond apon people using the HRP in online games.

Good point. I did jump the gun on reporting Problems.

• el fundador

The fragbar is disabled in favor of binding a key to the show scores function.

Thanks! Well, scratch problem 1.

Works on my LAN again, good. :lol:

I even got cheats to work ingame, lol
Man it looks funny watching someone noclip through a wall. :lol:

Alright,with svn 1576...

For now,a client player gets killed by shrinker, he begins to shrink...and...explode....Just like if it was an expander xD looks like brain and breath don't get shrunked

-If a client uses a warp ,such the bed in hotel hell, he dies and get squished...But not the host,even though,the client hears a squish sound each time the host uses a warp...

-If the client takes the elevator in Hotel hell with host (haven't tried without for now) he got...squished...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3655CTwKyu0 some bug,from the view of the client

This post has been edited by Kenny mckormick: 01 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I got it working for the first time today, lan with build 1576. For the most part it is GOD DAMN AWESOME but I'm experiencing the same bugs that Kenny did, so it's not an isolated incident or anything like that. I was running a user map that I created for Dukematching, and the client gets squished when he tries to use an elevator platform up, but going down is fine. The shrinker problem is the same as in the youtube video above, or very similar. The elevator to the arcade in hollywood holocaust doesn't cause the squishing problem though. Also I'm not sure if this is just me, but the client always seems to start off dead, I can't tell if he has health then suddenly loses it or not, but he definitely does the death scream.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

User is offline   Replica 

Using r1582 now.

Probly known on 3rd player joining I think sometimes player 2 dies. At least in Hollywood.

I have noticed. My Capslock key turns run mode on when it's not chosen in the config.

We still at prototype stage? Sorry for dragging the thread up if not.
Dunno what build I'm on, it's the one that came with today's DukePlus, and it says "EDuke32 2.0.0devel 20100107" in the log.

Anyway, I noticed that if I am running as a client, my palette constantly changes sometimes, maybe this causes the random deaths to some extent? Maybe like I'm changing player, or like Teamswap in Halo (Sorry for swearing with the H word) - but sometimes it looks more like there were two models in one place (that weird tearing effect, like flat sprites do sometimes) so I'm not sure what is going on for sure.

Didn't know if you were aware of it.

• el fundador

I dunno, I guess it's an alpha now. More than a prototype, not quite what I'd like it to be before calling it beta. It's still coming along, just at a slower pace since I've been married. ;)

User is offline   atlas 

high treason and i came to some conclusions earlier today in the matchmaking thread in the Duke Nukem General forums

"mmhm that was me. i punched your ip into the bat and it went to the main screen, then after a few seconds it loaded your server on hotel hell. however i couldn't move or type messages, and then i died and couldn't respawn. this might be issues with eduke32 itself. howver, progress! "

View Postatlas, on Jan 25 2010, 10:23 AM, said:

high treason and i came to some conclusions earlier today in the matchmaking thread in the Duke Nukem General forums

"mmhm that was me. i punched your ip into the bat and it went to the main screen, then after a few seconds it loaded your server on hotel hell. however i couldn't move or type messages, and then i died and couldn't respawn. this might be issues with eduke32 itself. howver, progress! "

That's bad progress, because last time I played it, it actually worked and I could finished E1L1 in coop at least.

• Honored Donor

Ok tried getting into High Treason's game (Red Light District) a few times with varying success. I didn't really stay in there for more than a minute at a time, since bugs tended to lurk behind every corner. Here are some videos of what happened:

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/c...=weirdbug-1.flv
This has happened twice to me and once to Atlas. When I walked through the door I was teleported to this spawning point and stuck helpless to the ceiling. I had to quit and go back in. I should also point out I didn't see anyone else while I was playing.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/c...t=weirdbug2.flv
I can't remember how I got there, I either died or randomly appeared there like in the above video. Duke's grunting and the gibs flying around occurred each time I pressed 'e' to respawn. The video ended because it suddenly went to the main menu and I was unable to enter the game without quiting and restarting.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/c...t=weirdbug3.flv
This is the second time I've experienced this. It appears that I can't break anything or pick anything up. I also randomly appeared at that good old respawning point again but surprisingly nothing glitchy happened that time.

I don't know if these have been pointed out before or not but I hope the videos help.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 25 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

User is offline   Franpa 

When you are kicked back to the main menu in the latest version, it is because you get disconnected from the host. In slightly older versions the only indication was a brief pause and a message in the Console.

It seems something in the new netcode since the "sound engine crash fix" that was causing the game to freeze/deadlock, was resolved, will drop the players connection after 10 to 20 seconds. Pipe Bombs and cheats also don't work well for clients.

• Honored Donor

Yes, it was usually between 10-20 seconds. It always says 'disconnected' in the console, and when I try to reconnect through the console at this point, eduke32 stops responding. Other players say that even after I'm disconnected, my Duke character is still standing there in the game. Perhaps I'm somehow in the game after I'm disconnected and when I try to reconnect, there are 2 people with the same name which might be an issue?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 26 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Franpa 

There are indeed sometimes 2 instances of you, occasionally when I quitted and rejoined I would see in the log that player " " had died. It had no name since the name was moved to my character.

• Honored Donor

Ok I made servers on versions 1582, 1592 and 1594, ironically discussed on the 'anyone up for a game (Yang)' thread.

We're doing our best to test out the system but the clients always seem get disconnected before we can do anything.

Here's a video of me killing somebody who had probably been disconnected, showing the wrong sprite for the player. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the disconnection.
I killed him, he respawned in the same place with the wrong sprite for the second time, and I killed him again.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/c...weirdbug4-1.flv

Also, I've attached the logs of the 1582, 1592, and 1594 games if anyone wants to read them.

Is any of this information useful? If not or if it's overkill, it sure would save me the trouble of recording then uploading movies and such.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 26 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

• el fundador

Yeah, you probably don't need to go to the trouble of recording videos... simple text explanations will do. Most of these issues I'm already aware of anyway.

User is offline   Juras 

What I like in eduke beta version is this new demo files(edm)... coz of rewinding and pausing the game.
Pity that they are much larger size than normal demo files...6min game is more than 1mb, pretty heavy.
Most good death matches takes around 30 min long so it would be 5mb?! for random qual game.
Anyway very good idea.

TX, are you going to add Multiplayer host and join options to the Eduke32 startup window?
It would be a good thing to add with all of eduke32's Goodness.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 04 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

• el fundador

The new demo format isn't complete yet... what's probably going to happen (and will save a lot of space) will be just compressing the entire demo when recording is stopped versus compressing each individual sync point before writing it, as I assume is done now.

I'll take that as a no.

View PostSkulldog, on Feb 5 2010, 01:51 PM, said:

I'll take that as a no.

Why would he had them to the start up room when there will be a multiplayer options menu on the main screen like all modern games have. :facepalm:

Yes, that would be better.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJuras, on Feb 4 2010, 04:42 PM, said:

What I like in eduke beta version is this new demo files(edm)... coz of rewinding and pausing the game.
Pity that they are much larger size than normal demo files...6min game is more than 1mb, pretty heavy.
Most good death matches takes around 30 min long so it would be 5mb?! for random qual game.
Anyway very good idea.

Glad you like 'em even they're slightly broken at the moment ;). Part of the motivation for doing a new demo format was to ease recording of in-game videos, the idea being that you first play as you normally would without worrying about the raw video eating up you harddisk space, then replay it and capture only the interesting parts. If you see it that way, it's pretty space-efficient, eh?
The actual size is determined by many factors. First, the new format has a dump of the initial state just like a savegame (and it behaves like a savegame on loading too in that it overwrites the compiled CON script). Capturing the game input is 300 bytes/second uncompressed -- you could say negligible. Where most of the space goes are the "diffs", which record differences to the previously recorded state. Depending on which mod you run, they can be about 10k to 100k bytes for a typical diff. You can tweak how often they get recorded with the "demorec_difftics" cvar, and whether at all with the "demorec_diffs" one. More frequent diff recording will get you a demo which will catch desyncs more quickly but it will take away more space and will be rewinding/fast-forwarding more slowly.

User is offline   Harlock 

Wow! Just found this thread and i must confess i'm delighted! Didn't have the time to test it yet but this sure looks promising. Keep it up!

User is offline   Juras 

In ver.1599 demo rewinder works almost good.Some problems with sound after pausing and jumping over each frame.
Demo bug at 1:30min
Damn, I ve just noticed that problems with sound was my bad...Sorry for wrong reporting <_<

This post has been edited by Juras: 24 February 2010 - 05:59 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options