Duke4.net Forums: Client/server multiplayer prototype issues thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Client/server multiplayer prototype issues thread

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Funny stuff happens online...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qDmWOz8zfz4

I can verify that the weird bug seen in my mod video above happens in a vanilla game of EDuke32.

Posted Image
This is the view from the client in 3rd person mode standing on top of the host who is using the jetpack. He seems to vanish into the ground and spawn an infinity amount of gibs.

Posted Image
This is the view from the host looking into the mirror, his ACTION still shows PJPHOUVER and no gibbing, but his height from first person perspective would indicate that he is at shrunken levels.

If it is done the other way around and the host jumps on a client using the jetpack, the client gets killed and has to respawn where as the host is not effected by this bug.

I hope this helps at tracking/fixing this issue.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 01 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

The gib pic looks really pretty, i like it. <_<

View PostReaperMan, on Mar 2 2010, 02:13 PM, said:

The gib pic looks really pretty, i like it. <_<

It may look pretty but it's a nasty bug that needs to be fixed. <_<

You kill joy <_<

I just installed the newest version of Win 7 64b(don't ask, you probably don't know how hard was it to upgrade), no, I had everything installed by the time I installed/executed EDuke32, excluding OpenAL, and I tried a few Dukematchs with a friend. Since he's from US and I'm not from EU mainland, we experienced several changes in our pings but it went fine with YANG p2p. It desynched with some Mods, including Duke Plus...anyways, that was expected.

However, when trying to play with the latest Synthesis's own Netplay, it never worked for me because I ran into constant C++ Runtime errors after connecting, during the waiting for server screen. We have the same settings, yet that error popped out from nowhere all the time, EDuke32 doesn't even crash or minimize, it just freezes in that screen then the error appears in background.
To note: my friend says he could play, besides, he SAW me as if I was PLAYING, just standing still and getting killed in the roof of E1L1. Dunno if this happened when said runtime errors happened.

I'm connected trough our Router with no ports open, my friend, the Host, uses a Router with the default ports for EDuke32's Netplay/YANG open, he's a Vista 64b user. I wonder if this is a Bug? I'll have to investigate this with someone who's close to my country, I'm sure it's not a Driver issue or anything of the likes, maybe it's just a Win7 64b error, which I just updated...EDuke32's still broken for me during Netplay.

Also, YANG didn't work with our Synth Build. What's up with that?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Just posting because a few people posted weird con parsing errors, and TerminX and I were able to track them down last night. He fixed everything up and revision 1606 shouldn't have them anymore.

User is offline   Skulldog 

YANG, Does not support the new Svn. -net is no longer used. It uses Eduke32.exe -server and then start the game from
host. The client can jump into game at anytime with Eduke32.exe -connect 192.0.0.0 whatever the host IP is. The guys
that work on YANG will add support later when then new svn is finished.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostBaron_Samedi, on Mar 3 2010, 12:45 AM, said:

I just installed the newest version of Win 7 64b(don't ask, you probably don't know how hard was it to upgrade)

Well, if you were coming from an earlier Windows 7 build it was as easy as copying the installation files over to your HD/USB stick and changing the build number in cversion.ini...

I guessed that much, EDuke32 has changed the way things worked. Now, the real mystery is why my Netplay doesn't work when I try it the new way.

View PostTX, on Mar 3 2010, 01:50 PM, said:

Well, if you were coming from an earlier Windows 7 build it was as easy as copying the installation files over to your HD/USB stick and changing the build number in cversion.ini...

The what? No clue.

Thing is, EDuke32 works with my Win7 Ultimate, all but Netplay.

This post has been edited by Baron_Samedi: 03 March 2010 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Sorry to bump, but what's the status on the Client/Server netplay in EDuke32 right now?

• el fundador

It's coming along... very, very slowly. My wife is pregnant and our baby is due in about 6 weeks, and I'm in the middle of packing up all my stuff to go move in with her 2000 miles away, so I haven't had the time or the energy for the ball busting shit redoing the networking involves. It's definitely not abandoned or anything like that though!

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostTX, on Aug 31 2010, 02:40 AM, said:

It's coming along... very, very slowly. My wife is pregnant and our baby is due in about 6 weeks, and I'm in the middle of packing up all my stuff to go move in with her 2000 miles away, so I haven't had the time or the energy for the ball busting shit redoing the networking involves. It's definitely not abandoned or anything like that though!

Thats good news and hope the netplay issues get fixed in the near future. BTW, congrats to you and your wife with the new baby. Your doing the right thing TX, you need to be with eachother now. All the best to ya!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTX, on Aug 31 2010, 01:40 AM, said:

Great news on all counts! Once you get past the initial "crying all night" stage, kids are a joy to have!

OK, now I don't recall reading about this anywhere but there is a program called Meltdown, which I think is way ahead of Yang in many ways. Thanks to Reaperman I got to try it out with Commando Nukem, and let me tell you, this little baby is sweet! Has a great chat server too. Where the hell has this been hiding? Here's a link:

http://duke3donline....ls/meltdown.php

View PostVinsaneOne, on Sep 7 2010, 04:06 AM, said:

OK, now I don't recall reading about this anywhere but there is a program called Meltdown, which I think is way ahead of Yang in many ways. Thanks to Reaperman I got to try it out with Commando Nukem, and let me tell you, this little baby is sweet! Has a great chat server too. Where the hell has this been hiding?

Should we make an official thread for it so more people know about it?

View PostVinsaneOne, on Sep 7 2010, 08:06 PM, said:

OK, now I don't recall reading about this anywhere but there is a program called Meltdown, which I think is way ahead of Yang in many ways. Thanks to Reaperman I got to try it out with Commando Nukem, and let me tell you, this little baby is sweet! Has a great chat server too. Where the hell has this been hiding? Here's a link:

http://duke3donline....ls/meltdown.php

I do not support this program or the website as he has the full version of DN available for download on his downloads page.
Which takes good money away from GOG.com, Duke4.net and EDuke32 devs. :D

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 7 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

Should we make an official thread for it so more people know about it?

I say yes. Aside from what the Commander has said below, I do agree with him in respect to having the full DN available, which is so wrong to be doing in the first place. So if only the program itself could be available in a new thread I say yes to that. Why deprive the masses of a great way to play on-line?

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 7 2010, 03:08 PM, said:

I do not support this program or the website as he has the full version of DN available for download on his downloads page.
I didn't notice that, but I, and may I speak for 99.99% of us who have the full version of the game already would only be concerned with Meltdown alone. It's his ass that will get sued. Why hasn't it happend already? Lets hijack his program for his crime, rename it and provide it with the next Eduke32 release!

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 7 2010, 04:08 PM, said:

Wow, i didn't even notice that, someone should contact them and tell them to remove those files.

View PostVinsaneOne, on Sep 8 2010, 11:06 AM, said:

Lets hijack his program for his crime, rename it and provide it with the next Eduke32 release!

You know Meltdown was made from the YANG source code. (Funny I don't quite see that listed on the site anywhere)

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 7 2010, 11:39 PM, said:

You know Meltdown was made from the YANG source code. (Funny I don't quite see that listed on the site anywhere)

Hmmm, and it actually imports your settings from Yang, (if you use it) it detects Yang is on your computer at first launch. Saves you the time setting it up. BTW, he has file sharing and users on his site can upload content for public use. Could that explain the questionable file content, Commander? :D

• el fundador

No, it couldn't. That site was actually taken down for a few days a couple of years ago when 3DR sent a copyright infringement notice to the host. The only explanation is that the owner of the site is a wanker. I guess he didn't take it very seriously.

User is offline   HellFire 

Fact is that Meltdown is the best place to find ppl to play, YANG is outdated and totally useless now. Sure the author has in his site the full duke and also he's using YANG source without giving any credit.. this isnt cool for sure, but fact is that he's helping the community just like TX or other developers are by creating good programs for us to use. I know the guy and he's a cool person, he just dont care about that legal stuff, he just want more people to play, and giving the game for free is a good of way of doing that haha. Meltdown supports eduke32 too so i dont see a reason to hide the existence of it. It had support for that new online server mode of eduke32, but since it isnt working correctly yet he removed it, but i'm sure when this thing gets done he will put it back, for now only old eduke32 can be used.

User is offline   Skulldog 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker

There should be a YANG should update soon.....

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 08 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   Replica 

YANG is still being updated for Windows, Mac and Linux users by Turrican.

View PostHellFire, on Sep 8 2010, 06:28 PM, said:

but i'm sure when this thing gets done he will put it back, for now only old eduke32 can be used.

When it's done there will be no need for game launchers because you will find games and host them inside of eduke32 like modern games do now.

If you'd rather use Yang and eduke32, you have to read this thread below!
http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2282

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 8 2010, 03:19 PM, said:

When it's done there will be no need for game launchers because you will find games and host them inside of eduke32 like modern games do now.

It will be a great day when thats finished...

User is offline   Juras 

My short point of view on this entire topic about Meltdown:
Meltdown and Yang should work on the same servers like it was while ago.
The full duke3d.grp file should be deleted for downloads.
Meltdown should include info about Yang source.
Will be all right then?
I doubt,always something will split this community.This is sad.

This post has been edited by Juras: 09 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options