Duke4.net Forums: T2 Lawsuit Disposed? New documents! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

T2 Lawsuit Disposed? New documents!  "Is the case over?"

Just noticed on 3DRealms forums something about court case with Take Two and Apogee and on eCourts site , I checked the site and it is indeed disposed as it is written.

http://iapps.courts....ivil/FCASSearch > apogee
http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/F...date=06/03/2009

IF you click on "add to eTrack" a notice will appear that the case has been disposed and there might be no activity anymore.

Previously unseen PDF documents ???

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/F...&isPreRji=N

This post has been edited by RuskiSnajper: 05 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

View PostRuskiSnajper, on Dec 5 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

Just noticed on 3DRealms forums something about court case with Take Two and Apogee and on eCourts site , I checked the site and it is indeed disposed as it is written.

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/F...date=06/03/2009

IF you click on "add to eTrack" a notice will appear that the case has been disposed and there might be no activity anymore.

Previously unseen PDF documents ???

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/F...&isPreRji=N

I sure hope it's disposed.

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

I wish that I could be excited about this, but it's probably just because the case was moved to Federal Court. :)

View Postultra tree 85!, on Dec 5 2009, 09:32 PM, said:

I wish that I could be excited about this, but it's probably just because the case was moved to Federal Court. :)

There is nothing in the search in Civil , nothing about apogee , only small private companies suing take 2.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

"COMMENTS - ACTION REMOVED TO FEDERAL COURT"

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-nys...case_id-346565/

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

You guys all seem excited about court filings...talk about easily entertained.

I'm still waiting for OFFICIAL word (from either party) and since that won't happen until things are fully settled out, I'm not sure why I am reading these threads.

http://iapps.courts....ivil/FCASSearch

The case is disposed!

Does that mean its over?

Any law pro in here?

User is offline   Outtagum 

Um...

Surprised you missed that considering it's been talked about in this thread. ;)

OK... I thought it was said this was moved to a Federal Court?

Nothing's changed since last June. :P

This post has been edited by Zor: 24 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

"Disposed" in legal terms pertaining to a lawsuit means the case has been resolved/dismissed.

• Honored Donor

View PostZor, on Jan 24 2010, 07:10 PM, said:

Um...

Surprised you missed that considering it's been talked about in this thread. :P

OK... I thought it was said this was moved to a Federal Court?

Nothing's changed since last June. ;)

That's not correct. If they are saying the case was disposed, it has been settled/resolved. The term has nothing to do with
transferring the case.

• Honored Donor

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Jan 24 2010, 06:55 PM, said:

http://iapps.courts....ivil/FCASSearch

The case is disposed!

Does that mean its over?

Any law pro in here?

If it was disposed, yes the lawsuit is over.

• Honored Donor

Ok, sorry for the multiple posts. I dug up the legal documents on the site jobi posted and if I'm reading them correctly, June 3, 2009 it was decided
that the case would be moved from the new york court. However, there is a motion afterwords that seems to indicate that the case was disposed(resolved)
thus the previous motion was rescinded. So on June 3, 2009 based on those documents, it appears the case was resolved. Anyone else?

This post has been edited by kaisersoze: 25 January 2010 - 04:31 AM

Umm, I don't know too much about the law, just how to break it.

I hope it's dismissed, but would we have heard about it by now? Maybe they haven't told us or something, wouldn't put that past 3DR. But again, I can't believe this yet, i don't want to, because I would be dissapointed if I was wrong ;)

User is offline   Outtagum 

Yeah, we need a law man in here... ;)

User is offline   Sangman 

If this site is to be trusted:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_case_d..._criminal_court

Then the case has certainly not just been "dismissed" but one of the two parties got penalized.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMr.Flibble, on Dec 5 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

(...) I'm not sure why I am reading these threads.

It's like trying to look away from someone threatening to stab themselves to death with a Rubik's Cube. You know it's all going to end very badly, but its seeing how they get there that proves fascinating.

View PostSangman, on Jan 25 2010, 08:33 PM, said:

If this site is to be trusted:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_case_d..._criminal_court

Then the case has certainly not just been "dismissed" but one of the two parties got penalized.

so what does penalized mean in law language?

User is offline   hornoxe 

View Postkaisersoze, on Jan 25 2010, 01:29 PM, said:

Ok, sorry for the multiple posts. I dug up the legal documents on the site jobi posted and if I'm reading them correctly, June 3, 2009 it was decided
that the case would be moved from the new york court. However, there is a motion afterwords that seems to indicate that the case was disposed(resolved)
thus the previous motion was rescinded. So on June 3, 2009 based on those documents, it appears the case was resolved. Anyone else?

All I get from searching that site was a single case that was disposed in june, ie. disposed by that court, because it was moved to federal. The only motion I found, associated with the case, was the request for the restraining order thing.

I'm pretty sure scott and george have referred to the ongoing lawsuit several times long after june, so unless any court events are actually dated from the last month or two (and you have no strange attractions to tinfoil) the sane thing is to assume status is unchaged, as far as public knowledge goes.

edit: what I mean is it's silly to argue/speculate legal semantics of "disposed" because according to the docs the date of disposal is june, and we know (well except the delusional few ;) ) the case was still going on then

This post has been edited by hornoxe: 25 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

View Posthornoxe, on Jan 25 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

All I get from searching that site was a single case that was disposed in june, ie. disposed by that court, because it was moved to federal. The only motion I found, associated with the case, was the request for the restraining order thing.

I'm pretty sure scott and george have referred to the ongoing lawsuit several times long after june, so unless any court events are actually dated from the last month or two (and you have no strange attractions to tinfoil) the sane thing is to assume status is unchaged, as far as public knowledge goes.

edit: what I mean is it's silly to argue/speculate legal semantics of "disposed" because according to the docs the date of disposal is june, and we know (well except the delusional few ;) ) the case was still going on then

It doesn't mean the case is still going on. Maybe part of what the judge said was that nothing was to be released until the game was finished. No screens, no video, no nothing. Also, it is much easier for George and Scott to say the lawsuit is still going and that is why they cannot talk rather than say the game is being completed but we don't want to talk about it now. Much easier to keep a low profile that way and to keep the team finishing the game out of the spotlight. Remember that 3DR has said before that if they could do it all over again they would have not announced the game period. It only makes sense for them to be quiet now.

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

Wait a second, didn't George directly mention the lawsuit in a post on 3D Realms just a few weeks ago? If the case were resolved, why would George and Scott still be indicating, and in some cases directly stating, that the lawsuit is still a problem for them? I really wish I could believe that the "disposed" thing is more than a typo or court error or something, but it just doesn't make sense given the insistence of George and Scott that the case still exists.

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Yes you are right Ultra Tree.

I personally think 3DR is finishing off DNF with some external developers and they will time it in such a way that the day before the court case hearing, they will announce that DNF has gone gold to pwn T2 in the very last moment.

The point I was making is that releasing media might go against the court disposition, which could land 3DR back in court. George and Scott have referred to the ongoing suit, but not that there is an upcoming case. Technically if they violated the terms of the disposition they could land back in court which could explain the media blackout. I think a court disposition is in the interest of both parties. It makes sure that the game is finished which is what T2 wants while it would let 3DR get the game finished without having a looming court case. Really this is probably the only situation that makes sense as it would be too risky for 3DR or a 3rd party to pay to have the game finished when there is still a court case to be decided. The game could get finished and then be given to T2 in a court decision which would be far too risky IMHO. My guess is there is some sort of tentative relationship between T2 and 3DR to get the game done whether it stems from a disposition or something else.

This post has been edited by megamustaine: 25 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

User is offline   Jason S. 

I believe with all the money 3DR lost during the making, there is no point to sue what you only gave 400K into for taking over from another publishing company. I think with them wanting the IP and their sueing that they realy do just want the lisence behind them, just looking at them taking the rights from GT as also an indicator. If they want their money back, 3DR would eventialy have given it back when they could. They too need to look at the Wired article I beleive, because in effect, 3Dr losing money versus their constant success in the gaming market equalizes it already. They'd only become a total ass for doing this.

Looking at it, they must crave having Duke at their side, as if another title running along side the GTA/BioShock series due to their place in VG history in terms of contravercy and the money they generate.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 26 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Jan 26 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

so what does penalized mean in law language?

You kidding me? Punished

As Mr. Exclusive, you should know this ;)

• I have the power!

I thought penalized meant some sexual thing ;)

Yes, but you are Mr. Flibble, not Mr. Excl.. et cetera

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Mr. Flibble.

Of course it is, that is where we get our words "Penitentary" and "Penal System" - both places where you don't want to drop your soap.

• I have the power!

haha. The buzz kill thought passed my mind but I won't post the difference in the derivations of the words Penal/Penitentary/Penalize and Penis/Penile/etc

User is offline   HonyaDj 

View PostSteveeeie, on Dec 6 2009, 12:40 AM, said:

"COMMENTS - ACTION REMOVED TO FEDERAL COURT"

At first, sorry for my English, it is not my native language. Although I read this forum a few years now, this is my first post here.

I´ve got a question and I haven´t found answer yet - here nor the 3D Realms forums. The thing is - court documents as well as other court details about the case "Apogee vs. Take Two" are publicly accessible. At least it seems to be - my thought is based on the links in this topic - Justia and the other ones... We know that restraining order was not accepted and the case was moved to the federal court or it was/is disposed or it is just disposed for this court instance (I agree with this option). And that is all we can find. No more information about this case from federal court.
I don´t know the USA legal system. So - are documents and information about cases from federal court also available to public? Because I haven´t found any confirmation of moved case (something like official acceptance of case at federal court). How does it work in USA legal system? Does anyone know that?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options