Duke4.net Forums: Some thaughts and info about Duke Nukem 64. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some thaughts and info about Duke Nukem 64.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm laughing.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 25 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP? PIANO MAN IS A FUCKING PIANO.

ROFL!!!

Piano man just because you think that don't mean you are right. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and by you saying "Duke64 this Duke 64 that, imitation blah blah blah, i am right yadd yadda" you just prove your a jackass. You may not like the game but that don't mean no one else is allowed to like it just because you say so.
I do not agree with your argument but i have a right to my own opinion just like every one else here. So i sugest you stop slating Captain Awsome, SwissCm and myself
and just SHUT THE FUCK UP!
We are all sick to death of you.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

In the famous words of George Carlin:

"Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true: I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights - I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please. But, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that? So the next time some asshole says to you, "I have a right to my opinion," you say, "Oh yeah? Well, I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion." Then shoot the fuck and walk away!"

View PostStrikerMan780, on Nov 26 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

In the famous words of George Carlin:

"Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true: I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights - I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please. But, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that? So the next time some asshole says to you, "I have a right to my opinion," you say, "Oh yeah? Well, I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion." Then shoot the fuck and walk away!"

Funny but i don't agree, given that piano man has been the buttnugget. I think he has gone to far IMO

User is offline   SwissCm 

Duke 64 was pretty cool I reckon

View PostSwissCm, on Nov 26 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

Duke 64 was pretty cool I reckon

Seconded

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Duke Nukem 64 was the first violent FPS game I was allowed to get as a kid. I "pitched" the idea to my mom, who didnt want me having ANYTHING violent at the time, as "Well you dont kill people, only evil aliens." Which was a fair compromise, and its not a lie... Just the irony. Now I had played Duke Nukem 3D on a friends computer twice prior to that, but it was really cool to OWN the game.

I honestly didnt mind the differences between 3D and 64, I actually thought 64 had a bit more of a "cool" feel to it, where as Duke3D's atmosphere tends to be more gritty and dark.

To this day, regardless of the censorship. I think Duke actually sounds better on 64. His voice is a little more dynamic and suave.

Compare the delivery of

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and i'm all out of gum." in Duke3D its said in sort of a straight tone all the way through, where as in 64 it sounds a little more dynamic. "Kick ASS" and "CHEW bubble-GUM ... and i'm all outta gummmm!" :)

The guns were pretty badass too. The Charge-up plasma cannon was great. Loved the vaporising effect on the enemies. Duke packing the Colt 45 totally fit his character much more than the semi-undefinable automatic pistol he had in Duke3D.

...and of course, since you're playing as the "Guy who saves our chicks", it was nice to actually be able to save them, AND get score for it. Even when I play Duke3D online with Vinny now, I always skip over killing the women, and try to take my time on Raw Meat to shoot the eggs and aliens without setting off the explosives.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke64 is a great game. So is Duke3D. They aren't the same, but one isn't a cheap imitation of the other either. It's not like they built a brand new game from scratch and called it Duke64. It's Duke3D. The same engine, maps, sprites, programming, AI, everything. Only altered because of the 64's limitations. Like no sliding doors, subway cars (only conveyor belt cars), or parallaxed skies. The extras they did put in were very cool, though. I loved the alternate ammo and such. Exploding shotgun shells are awesome. I think it actually makes for a funner multiplayer experience than the original. Which just may have been the point.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Only altered because of the 64's limitations. Like no sliding doors, subway cars (only conveyor belt cars), or parallaxed skies.

1. I am not sure about the sliding doors being limitations. There still are the courtain at Hollywood Holocaust and Death Row eletric chair. My theory is that the Nintendo 3d rendering (which interpretates maps as 3d models) would not suit the glitching of sliding doors.

2. The subway cars are still there. They altered Rabit Transit because hell the original one was very very ugly. The 64 version rocks! They only changed the subway to not move in other directions because they wanted the maps to being more compact (you can easily see this in Dark Side).

3. It would be quite easy to create the paralaxed skies. And that gradient sky in 64 is actually an image, you can see this if you use an image ripping plugin.

And this is an comment from an email I get from William Beacham (aka Bill Beacham), Duke 64 mapper: "although we did edit them to make them look better (e.g. added content beyond the dead-end walls in the streets)"

The extras they did put in were very cool, though. I loved the alternate ammo and such. Exploding shotgun shells are awesome. I think it actually makes for a funner multiplayer experience than the original. Which just may have been the point.

The weapons are way better than PC.

The PC ones aren't that good for multiplayer. The Devastator is creppy (while people think at first time it works, they are being fooled, and it's fail to hit another player). And the Freezer Thrower is not usefull, it's just a bunch of projectiles with no explosion damage (at least the Freezethrower leaves an Atomic Health).

The 64 are way better:

There is no RPG, so there aren't lots of RPG. Rather you have the Grenade Launcher which is good but not overpower.

The Expander has a maximum amount of 99. Something obvious, when you think about it.

The Devastator is replaced with the Missile Launcher, an slower version of RPG.

And the last weapon is not the creppy Freezethrower, but Plasma Blast, that weapon is awesome, the normal orbs are like the Freezethrower but with an explosion radius, and you can charge it quite like the BFG from Doom.

And to finish there are the sub-ammo. Dumdums? Explosive Shotgun Shell? Heat-seeking Missiles? OMG

This post has been edited by Ilovefoxes: 01 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Nov 24 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

Pwned! :)

I definitely liked Duke Nukem 3d better. For me, the babes and darker atmosphere; had a profound impact on me when i was younger. I liked the good old Duke swearing too.

Duke 64 was okay. The effects looked cool as well as that charging proton gun (forgot the name), but i was really disappointed with the lack of sexual stuff (yeah I'm a big perv). But it was interesting though to see them "cloth" the semi naked babes.

By the way, I always found it funny how excessive violence is okay, but nudity (which is natural) is not.
See my example here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lMVFN_JuoJE

the last example is a good one.

User is offline   Sir Tobbii 

Duke Nukem 64 was pretty fun, and yes, in many ways it was superior to Duke3D. But I still prefer Duke3D, though it was a tough call.

However, Piano Man, setting all these (extremely funny) pages of pie throwing aside, I must disagree. I can't agree on Duke64 being an imitation, it's more of a "Special Edition" or "Lite Edition" since you consider it a dumbed down version. An imitation would be something more like Serious Sam (Not saying Serious Sam is bad.). But at the same time that could be seen as a homage or tribute to Duke Nukem, making the imitation more of a positive thing rather than a negative. But enough about Serious Sam, back to Duke64. Duke Nukem 64 was, and will always be, a different version of Duke3D for Nintendo 64, just like Duke Nukem 3D on Sony Playstation will always be a different version of Duke3D for Sony Playstation. It's that simple.

So yes, I understand what you are saying (though I disagree), but imitation was probably the wrong word to use. ^^

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 12 2009, 02:50 AM, said:

REALLY??? Despite the fact that Duke Nukem 64 was just a bad imitation of Duke Nukem 3D??? The sprites looked worse, the guns just looked cheat and overall it was just a poor excuse to try and change duke slightly and port it to the Nintendo 64...

Duke Nukem ZERO HOUR however was an entirely different game and had better graphics. Some great Duke quotes too....

"Chestnuts roasting, as I open fire." :lol:

Excuse me,but sprites didn't look worse.
In comparison with the 1.3d version of the PC game,the N64's sprites looked way better.
And that's because they were not so much "polygonized" or "squareized".
You get what I mean ?
At the N64 version they were looking just painted.
At the PC version they were just a bunch of colourfull squares moving..

Take a look at some screenshots,and check the monsters how they look at each version:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 03 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Alithinos, your point is invalid.

Posted Image

It's called filtering. It's not the game that does it, it's the N64 console. Any emulator can disable it.

Posted Image

And since when can the N64 port do this?

Posted Image

You can't compare the HRP mod to a +10 year old game. :lol:

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostSir Tobbii, on Jan 4 2010, 11:38 PM, said:

You can't compare the HRP mod to a +10 year old game. :lol:

The HRP has nothing to do with the texture filtering dude. :lol:

I know, I was referring to the latter part. ^^

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options