Duke4.net Forums: Some thaughts and info about Duke Nukem 64. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some thaughts and info about Duke Nukem 64.

User is offline   Alithinos 

Hi.
I played both versions of the game.
The original "3d" that came out for computers and the altered "64" that came out for Nintendo 64.
A lot of people critisize the fact that Nintendo cencored many things in it,but I think that things are not that tragic.
Yes,the strippers are not there,and some of the Duke's quotes have changed.
But that doesn't mean that this version is not nice.
It actually included extra levels like Duke Burger or Catle Dukenstein that the original didn't,and it also had better graphics than the pc version,because the sprites were in bigger resolution.

Some gameplay changes also were presented.
That includes new ammo types for some weapons that the player could change his ammo type during the game.
E.g. Dum Dum pistol bullets,explosive shells for shotgun,heat-seeking rockets for rpg...

And the Duke quotes that were replaced by otherones were both good.
Let me give you an example:
When Duke meets Battlord at PC he says "I'll rip your head of and shit down your neck" while at DN64 he says "Ewh! Who's your plastic surgeon ?"
:)
I don't say that one of the 2 versions is far more better than the otherone but that they are both good and I enjoyed playing them both to the end!
:)

User is offline   necroslut 

I'm pretty sure the sprites were not higher resolution in 64.

There is a Duke 64 mod under development, it might interest you.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I like both for what they are. Of course I'm partial to Duke3D, but I cannot understand the hate for Duke64.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 10 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

I like both for what they are. Of course I'm partial to Duke3D, but I cannot understand the hate for Duke64.

What's funny is if you play Duke Nukem Zero Hour there are quotes in there that aren't Nintendo friendly. Like when Duke picks up this robot head, that he needs to open a door hey says "I was hoping I'd get some head."

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 11 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Piano Man 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 11 2009, 05:40 AM, said:

REALLY??? Despite the fact that Duke Nukem 64 was just a bad imitation of Duke Nukem 3D??? The sprites looked worse, the guns just looked cheat and overall it was just a poor excuse to try and change duke slightly and port it to the Nintendo 64...

Duke Nukem ZERO HOUR however was an entirely different game and had better graphics. Some great Duke quotes too....

"Chestnuts roasting, as I open fire." :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 11 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

REALLY??? Despite the fact that Duke Nukem 64 was just a bad imitation of Duke Nukem 3D??? The sprites looked worse, the guns just looked cheat and overall it was just a poor excuse to try and change duke slightly and port it to the Nintendo 64...

Duke Nukem ZERO HOUR however was an entirely different game and had better graphics. Some great Duke quotes too....

"Chestnuts roasting, as I open fire." :)

How can it be a cheap imitation whilst its practically the same game?

Zero Hour was released near the end of the N64's life cycle, and Nintendo loosened some of its stricter guidelines.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 12 2009, 09:31 AM, said:

Zero Hour was released near the end of the N64's life cycle, and Nintendo loosened some of its stricter guidelines.

Well - they changed the weapons, the maps and a lot of the sounds, Duke Quotes etc.... whilst still imitating most of the original maps of the original Duke Nukem.

Zero Hour was a brand new game, new storyline and much bloody better.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 12 2009, 02:31 AM, said:

They loosened the censorship years before that, after Mortal Kombat.
I'm pretty sure DN64 wasn't cleaned up because of Nintendo's rules, but because of GT wanting to appeal to the N64's younger user base.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No, Nintendo still had pretty strict guidelines at the time, not quite as bad as they did with the NES or SNES though, you're right.

Piano Man, I don't think you know what that word means. It's the same game. It cannot imitate itself. To make up for some of the censorship new things were added to the game, most of which were actually kind of neat.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 13 2009, 05:58 AM, said:

No, Nintendo still had pretty strict guidelines at the time, not quite as bad as they did with the NES or SNES though, you're right.

Piano Man, I don't think you know what that word means. It's the same game. It cannot imitate itself.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! I DO FUCKING KNOW WHAT THE WORD MEANS... SO stop trying to be a pretentious GIT!!!

The game isn't really the same... the level layouts have been changed, skyboxes changed and modified, parts of different levels merged together. In Red Light District there's a fucking burger joint if I'm not mistaken which isn't in the PC version (I say 'if I'm not mistaken' because I've only played it once about 10 frickin years ago.')

A lot of the quotes are different, sounds, guns etc.

LET ME REPEAT... The PC version and the Nintendo 64 version are not really the same - they are similar... but not the same game.

It's a FUCKING IMITATION!!! Let me repeat that... The Nintendo 64 version is an imitation of the PC version - BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!

God...

User is offline   Sangman 

Seems like Piano Man still doesn't get it :) The levels are pretty much the same, they do have some improvements like those "skyboxes" - other differences are there because of censorship, which explains why the Red Light District has a burger joint rather than babes showing off boobs and ass. Of course that only explains the levels and some of the art, sounds and weapons are indeed quite different, probably to make it feel like a fresher experience.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 13 November 2009 - 05:15 AM

View PostSangman, on Nov 13 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

Seems like Piano Man still doesn't get it :)

OH FUCK OFF!!!! You're an idiot. There's nothing to get here.

It's been edited for the Nintendo - therefore cannot be the same game... although parts are similar - therefore it is an imitation of Duke Nukem 3D for PC!!!!

CASE FUCKING CLOSED!!!

Take a chill pill Piano Man :)

Would you say a PC port (with some edits) of a console game is an imitation of that console game?

This post has been edited by Sangman: 13 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Lols at Fail Man.

View PostSangman, on Nov 14 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

Would you say a PC port (with some edits) of a console game is an imitation of that console game?

You mean do I consider the 64 version trying to be a little different in order to spark a little more interest from Nintendo 64 gamers, by changing the weapons, sounds, levels and other things????

YES!!

And Captain - there's no FAILURE here except for you. It's funny how the only two people who don't get it are you and Sangman.

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 13 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 13 2009, 06:14 PM, said:

And Captain - there's no FAILURE here except for you. It's funny how the only two people who don't get it are you and Sangman.

Yes, because somebody other than myself and sir Sang has posted about your delusions in the past few days.
Posted Image

User is offline   Franpa 

Anyways, Duke Burger is included in both PC/N64 but is better in the n64 >.> probably because it is encountered as a normal level so the entrance to the level makes more sense then encountering a green nuke symbol in a enclosed room to magically end up in a street somewhere...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostFranpa, on Nov 14 2009, 10:08 AM, said:

Anyways, Duke Burger is included in both PC/N64 but is better in the n64 >.> probably because it is encountered as a normal level so the entrance to the level makes more sense then encountering a green nuke symbol in a enclosed room to magically end up in a street somewhere...

The fuck? On the PC version its the second level in the fourth episode, and its not a secret either.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 15 2009, 03:43 AM, said:

The fuck? On the PC version its the second level in the fourth episode, and its not a secret either.

Yeah, but in the PC game Level 401 is the Its impossible - you nuke the symbol at the end of the secret facility and then all of a sudden your in Level 402 in the middle of a street... the continuity is a bit weird.
Whereas in the N64 version, If I'm not mistaken, the Duke Burger is part of the level 102 Red Light District at the opposite end from where you start from.

User is offline   Postal 

cookie?

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 14 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

You mean do I consider the 64 version trying to be a little different in order to spark a little more interest from Nintendo 64 gamers, by changing the weapons, sounds, levels and other things????

No, that was not my question.

Would you consider a PC port of a console game an imitation of that console game? Would you consider it an imitation if it had some stuff changed in order to be allowed to appear on that console? Would you consider it an imitation if this was done with the blessing of the original developers?

View PostSangman, on Nov 16 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

Would you consider a PC port of a console game an imitation of that console game? Would you consider it an imitation if it had some stuff changed in order to be allowed to appear on that console?

YES... They didn't just remove the bad language... they played about with the levels amalgamating parts into other levels... They didn't do it in order for it to be allowed on the console. Duke Burger ends up being placed in with the 2nd level Red Light District... There was no need for them to remove it as a complete level on it's own. There are other changes throughout as well that WEREN'T done so it was clean enough for the console... They changed parts of it... and considering that an imitiation usually refers to a product that is slightly inferior to the original... Yes... I believe that Duke Nukem 64 is an imitation of the PC version.

Had the levels not changed and the weapons not been changed, I wouldn't have used the word imitation but used the word 'port'... but since quite a bit has been changed - Yes... it is an imitation. Most of the changes have nothing to do with cleaning up the game so it could be allowed on the console version (the audio and quotes yes - everything else no).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 15 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

YES... They didn't just remove the bad language... they played about with the levels amalgamating parts into other levels... They didn't do it in order for it to be allowed on the console. Duke Burger ends up being placed in with the 2nd level Red Light District... There was no need for them to remove it as a complete level on it's own. There are other changes throughout as well that WEREN'T done so it was clean enough for the console... They changed parts of it... and considering that an imitiation usually refers to a product that is slightly inferior to the original... Yes... I believe that Duke Nukem 64 is an imitation of the PC version.

Had the levels not changed and the weapons not been changed, I wouldn't have used the word imitation but used the word 'port'... but since quite a bit has been changed - Yes... it is an imitation. Most of the changes have nothing to do with cleaning up the game so it could be allowed on the console version (the audio and quotes yes - everything else no).

Your point is moot. At that time Episode 4 wasn't finished yet and Atomic Edition/Plutonium Pak wasn't going to be released for a few months.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 16 2009, 09:34 AM, said:

Your point is moot. At that time Episode 4 wasn't finished yet and Atomic Edition/Plutonium Pak wasn't going to be released for a few months.

WRONG!!! Duke Nukem Atomic was released for PC in November 1996, and 11 months LATER Duke Nukem 64 was released for the Nintendo Console!

Get your fucking facts right before you decide to try and correct someone!!! That way you won't look like a total idiot!

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 15 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You do know that most of the maps had to be changed due to the fact that the N64 could not emulate certain things, parallaxed skys for example. (That's why we have plain blue skys in the first levels)

Overall, it is still the same game IMO

Next you will be telling us that Total Meltdown is a totally different game compared to the PC (Excluding the Plug & Prey maps)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 16 November 2009 - 04:03 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Arrogance can make you look like an idiot as well. Regardless, 11 months would not be enough time to develop Duke64. That means Atomic Edition and Duke64 were developed around the same time. It was probably finished except for final touches for about 2 months before release as well.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 17 2009, 05:27 AM, said:

Regardless, 11 months would not be enough time to develop Duke64. That means Atomic Edition and Duke64 were developed around the same time. It was probably finished except for final touches for about 2 months before release as well.

JESUS CHRIST... You just can't fucking accept you got it wrong. And you call me Arrogant???

Take a look in the mirror... and admit you were fucking wrong!!!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I did admit I was wrong. I used the very fact I was wrong to turn your argument against you still. I laugh at your inferior replies.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 17 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

I did admit I was wrong. I used the very fact I was wrong to turn your argument against you still. I laugh at your inferior replies.

No you didn't...

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 17 2009, 05:27 AM, said:

Regardless, 11 months would not be enough time to develop Duke64. That means Atomic Edition and Duke64 were developed around the same time. It was probably finished except for final touches for about 2 months before release as well.

THAT... Is not a fucking admission of accepting you were wrong... That's some poor-arse excuse trying to justify your first statement and trying to give it some credibility, which was wrong!!! So how about you hide your head in shame and just give it a rest... And there's nothing wrong with Arrogance if you're right!!!

God you suck at these come-backs!!!

User is offline   SwissCm 

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options