Duke4.net Forums: How do I get Duke mods to work? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I get Duke mods to work?

User is offline   Doomer 

Hi this is my first post.

I just wanted to ask how do I get the Duke Nukem mods/wads to work? I have the full Duke Nukem 3D atomic edition. So I don't see the problem. The first mod/wad I ever tried playing was The Shining mod, because, well, the movie was good haha.

Anyway, I downloaded the mod, and it gave me a few files. The files were REDRUM.BAT, REDRUM.CON, REDRUM.GRP, and there were two text files. The text file told me to drag the .CON and .GRP file to my Duke Nukem directory. So I did. Then it said to Shift-Click them both to highlight both files and then drag both of them onto the Duke Nukem game icon. And it says when the game starts up, go to New Game and there will be a new "episode" and that's what I choose.

But when I start it up I do not have that option. It does not show it or something. And by the way, I am using a Mac, that is not the problem right? It cannot be because in the text file, I was reading how to "install" the mod on a Mac, so it should be able to work on the Mac.

But if anyone could help me out quickly please that would be great :o
Man, I've seen so many cool D.N. mods.... I'm missing out ;)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoomer, on Sep 11 2009, 09:05 PM, said:

Hi this is my first post.

I just wanted to ask how do I get the Duke Nukem mods/wads to work? I have the full Duke Nukem 3D atomic edition. So I don't see the problem. The first mod/wad I ever tried playing was The Shining mod, because, well, the movie was good haha.

Anyway, I downloaded the mod, and it gave me a few files. The files were REDRUM.BAT, REDRUM.CON, REDRUM.GRP, and there were two text files. The text file told me to drag the .CON and .GRP file to my Duke Nukem directory. So I did. Then it said to Shift-Click them both to highlight both files and then drag both of them onto the Duke Nukem game icon. And it says when the game starts up, go to New Game and there will be a new "episode" and that's what I choose.

But when I start it up I do not have that option. It does not show it or something. And by the way, I am using a Mac, that is not the problem right? It cannot be because in the text file, I was reading how to "install" the mod on a Mac, so it should be able to work on the Mac.

But if anyone could help me out quickly please that would be great :o
Man, I've seen so many cool D.N. mods.... I'm missing out ;)

First of all, everyone here uses EDuke32, and I'm guessing you aren't using it. I think it has been compiled for Mac somewhere, and it would be worth your while to get it.

The .BAT is for starting the game, but those don't work on Macs, which is why you have the Mac instructions involving dragging the files onto the game icon. I'm sure that worked with whatever Mac port the author was familiar with at the time, but evidently it doesn't work with what you are using to run Duke 3D.

EDIT: Here's a site where someone has compiled EDuke32 for Mac.

http://www.spam-filt...eduke32_on_os_x

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 11 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

User is offline   Doomer 

Okay dude first of all, I don't know really any of this stuff so please bare with me?

Second, so basically what you're saying is if I have EDuke32, I can play DN mods?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoomer, on Sep 11 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

Second, so basically what you're saying is if I have EDuke32, I can play DN mods?

Basically....yes.

User is offline   lycanox 

Most mods these days require the advanced coding options Eduke only offers.
And it is currently the only up to date port that supports high res textures, models and music.
Which are also used a lot in mods. Not to mention the HRP.
Not to mention that the port also solves various other issues and offers lots of other option, which are important even if you don't care about the highress stuff.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options