Duke4.net Forums: latest revisions breaking projects - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

latest revisions breaking projects

User is offline   Mark 

I gave up testing every new revision when it came out because breaks they produced were not being addressed because of them mostly being polymer related. So I waited a couple months before trying out the latest revision in my projects.

In one project, any revision after September 26th crashes shortly after doubleclicking eduke32.exe
In another project those revisions run but my settings, menus and con files do not load properly. It looks like some default settings are applied.

I am continuing to use older revisions from 2021 in those projects for polymer reasons so I have no real interest in getting this looked into for myself. But I thought I would mention this just so its on the record.

User is offline   Aleks 

I've had problems with latest revisions crashing right after the startup as well without even producing any data in the log file, happened on two different laptops - but now that you've mentioned "different settings" and loading with defaults, I wonder if having the settings copied from older versions might be the cause of the problem here - gonna check it out myself!

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostAleks, on 12 December 2023 - 09:45 AM, said:

I've had problems with latest revisions crashing right after the startup as well without even producing any data in the log file, happened on two different laptops - but now that you've mentioned "different settings" and loading with defaults, I wonder if having the settings copied from older versions might be the cause of the problem here - gonna check it out myself!

Try unplugging any controllers if you have any plugged in. SDL2 takes a fat shit with some off-spec HID devices (Like some Retro-Bit controllers), which can make EDuke32 crash before producing any of use in the log.

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

View PostAleks, on 12 December 2023 - 09:45 AM, said:

Crash on startup may happen due to modified base grp files. Some releases ago eduke printed "No grp files found!" (but still allowed loading duke nukem), now it just crashes instead.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMere_Duke, on 21 December 2023 - 04:18 PM, said:

Crash on startup may happen due to modified base grp files. Some releases ago eduke printed "No grp files found!" (but still allowed loading duke nukem), now it just crashes instead.

Interesting, seems this was it - the GRP I kept using for past... decades had a different "last modified date" from December 2005 (which I assume was just me casually saving it by accident after opening in Dukeres or something like that), but had exactly the same size as the normal one. Replacing it with one dated 1996 seemed to have fixed the issue.

Still, I'd consider it a bug as it doesn't provide any feedback to the user. I've never had any error messages related to this GRP before either.

User is offline   Mark 

Of the 2 projects I mentioned earlier, the one that crashes has no DUKE.GRP file so I guess that answers why that one won't work with later eduke32 revisions. The other project that loads but not all the custom assets show up is another issue, maybe related to eduke looking for other files in a new way but I haven't looked into it.

And like Aleks said, up til recently those 2 projects loaded fine.

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 December 2023 - 06:14 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options