Duke4.net Forums: A non existent external monitor keeps connecting - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A non existent external monitor keeps connecting

I have an old laptop from 2010-13 which worked completely fine for about 10 years but now it has a weird issue due to which it somehow recognises that there's an external monitor connected to it even though I haven't connected any external monitor to the same laptop and the worst part is that it keeps connecting and disconnecting very often which is very irritating when it happens. I've tried reinstalling and updating my drivers but nothing works

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

What happens if you actually connect a monitor?

View PostMike Norvak, on 09 December 2023 - 08:33 AM, said:

What happens if you actually connect a monitor?

I dunno haven't tried it yet. I've thought about doing that once but my monitor's plug doesn't fit in

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

generic answer - go to the device manager and delete all the pnp ghost monitors under the display settings and turn off hyper-v

View PostForge, on 10 December 2023 - 09:40 AM, said:

generic answer - go to the device manager and delete all the pnp ghost monitors under the display settings and turn off hyper-v

already tried deleting the ghost monitor it doesn't work (the ghost monitor will reconnect again in a few seconds) and I don't think there's anything called hyper v on my laptop

This post has been edited by DualBackdrop365: 12 December 2023 - 02:33 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

With a device of that age, and especially in a cooling-constrained situation such as a laptop, I would expect an issue like this to be a hardware fault disrupting the circuitry such as tin whiskers or microfissures.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 December 2023 - 12:47 PM, said:

With a device of that age, and especially in a cooling-constrained situation such as a laptop, I would expect an issue like this to be a hardware fault disrupting the circuitry such as tin whiskers or microfissures.

possible.
my next suggestion would have been to look under ease of access/accessibility & see if a sticky key was assigned to the function-f key to connect an external monitor

View PostForge, on 12 December 2023 - 03:05 PM, said:

possible.
my next suggestion would have been to look under ease of access/accessibility & see if a sticky key was assigned to the function-f key to connect an external monitor

Firstly whenever I reinstall my os or buy a computer sticky keys are the first thing that I turn off as most of the games crash when I use them(I don't have any reason to use them anyway)

and secondly I prefer using arrow keys over wasd so there's no point of remapping a key which is so far away from arrows

This post has been edited by DualBackdrop365: 15 December 2023 - 09:45 PM

So I've noticed something weird... the ghost monitor doesn't connects automatically anymore which really strange cuz I've been experiencing it for two years and I've tried so many things but nothing worked. I even took the same laptop to a few computer shops and even they were confused about this problem.

But anyway I still appreciate the help I got from you guys. Cheers

View PostDualBackdrop365, on 15 December 2023 - 09:51 PM, said:

So I've noticed something weird... the ghost monitor doesn't connects automatically anymore which really strange cuz I've been experiencing it for two years and I've tried so many things but nothing worked. I even took the same laptop to a few computer shops and even they were confused about this problem.

But anyway I still appreciate the help I got from you guys. Cheers

Alright alright I take my words back it's happening again

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDualBackdrop365, on 08 December 2023 - 11:55 PM, said:

I have an old laptop from 2010-13 which worked completely fine for about 10 years

View PostHendricks266, on 12 December 2023 - 12:47 PM, said:

most crap built after 2003 is only designed to last about 5 years before it starts failing.
unless you feel like taking it all the way apart and sticking the board in the oven, you should look at investing in a newer laptop

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 December 2023 - 05:12 PM

View PostForge, on 16 December 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

most crap built after 2003 is only designed to last about 5 years before it starts failing.
unless you feel like taking it all the way apart and sticking the board in the oven, you should look at investing in a newer laptop

Nah I was thinking about buying some console as it would be a lot cheaper than any decent pc for gaming

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options