Duke4.net Forums: Specifying game directory on Windows network share doesn't work - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Specifying game directory on Windows network share doesn't work

User is offline   sofakng 

I'm trying to load my DUK3D.GRP from a Windows network share but it doesn't work properly.

I'm running EDuke32 r10167-1a90b9883 with the following command-line:
eduke32 -game_dir "\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour"

The message log displays the following:
Started at 2023-03-06 10:58:53.072
EDuke32 r10167-1a90b9883
Built Jan 23 2023 22:28:37, GCC 12.0.0, 64-bit
Using directory C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Ion Fury/
Application parameters: -game_dir \\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour 
Using directory E:/Emulators/eduke32/
Using directory /debian/tank_software/Classic Games - Required Files/Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour/
CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K
Initializing SDL 2.0.22
Detecting video modes for display 0 (Generic PnP Monitor)...
Searching for game data...

I've also tried specifying the GRP directly:
eduke32 -gamegrp "\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour\DUKE3D.GRP"

However, if I use a local directory (ie. "C:\Game Files\Duke3D") then it works fine. It also works if I map the network share to a drive letter (ie. "net use S: \\debian\tank_software\...") so I wonder if the problem is the backslash escape character?

User is offline   dwtietz 

I doubt this would work, and I can't try it out right now, but maybe try something like this:

eduke32 -gamegrp "\\\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour\DUKE3D.GRP"

or

eduke32 -gamegrp \\\\"debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour\DUKE3D.GRP"

I don't really think that will work though as I suspect that it only works with local drive letters (which is why it does work if you map the folder as a drive).

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 06 March 2023 - 08:48 AM

View Postdwtietz, on 06 March 2023 - 08:42 AM, said:

I doubt this would work, and I can't try it out right now, but maybe try something like this:

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Unfortunately they don't seem to work.

I haven't looked through the code enough, but I was hoping it was using the native OS file open functions which should work even using a network drive. (for reference, gzdoom and raze both work; raze also uses the same gamegrp parameter name)

Regardless, when I use the gamegrp parameter, I don't see anything in the log where it's trying to open the file?
eduke32 -gamegrp "\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour\DUKE3D.GRP"

Started at 2023-03-06 12:36:43.900
EDuke32 r10167-1a90b9883
Application parameters: -gamegrp \\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour\DUKE3D.GRP 
Initializing SDL 2.0.22

It shows the 'Application parameter' but doesn't show any attempts to actually open it.

However, when I use the game_dir parameter, it does show it:
eduke32 -game_dir "\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour"

Started at 2023-03-06 12:38:07.289
EDuke32 r10167-1a90b9883
Application parameters: -game_dir \\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour 
Using directory /debian/tank_software/Classic Games - Required Files/Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour/
Initializing SDL 2.0.22

You can see that it modifies the path though:
\\debian\tank_software\Classic Games - Required Files\Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour

becomes
/debian/tank_software/Classic Games - Required Files/Duke Nukem 3D - 20th Anniversary World Tour/

I've tried double-escaping the backslash characters and other things... It looks to be translating it to a unix-style path for some reason.

I'm hoping the game_dir parameter works instead of gamegrp, because game_dir also changes where the savegames are stored too.

This post has been edited by sofakng: 06 March 2023 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   dwtietz 

Yeah, I was just takin' a wild guess there, but I really didn't expect that to work. Would be cool to hear if you do manage to find a way to get it to work though.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Likely needs escape characters to work.. (\\\\debian\\tank_software\\C etc)

I would recommend using pushd and popd, these create temporary network drives that persist for the session.
Something like: "pushd \\debian\tank_software\C"
Will create a temporary network drive Z, put you there as root dir of Z and then you can run whatever commands you want to after it.

Typically used when dealing with batch files.

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I've tried using escape characters exactly as you described but unfortunately it didn't work. I also appreciate the suggestion of using pushd and popd but I really think this should be an command-line argument so a batch file isn't required, etc.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options